??

Seeing You [SunYeon special, 11/9/14] {HIATUS}

 

Chapter 33

Tiffany’s POV

The house phone rang while I was lazing on the couch, waiting for Taeyeon to finish preparing dinner. As I was the only one doing nothing, I forced myself to get up and crept my way forward, following the ringing sound. Since my sister had been living apart from me for a few years already, she had forgotten how to live in a house with a blind person. She left things around lying around on the floor and moved things out of the positions that they are usually in, thus making me bump into or trip over them. This time, I successfully maneuvered my way without meeting any obstacles. Letting out a sigh of relief, I picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hi honey!~” Jessica cooed to me. Her smooth voice sounded like the trickle of a gentle stream and my skin tingled at her rare display of aegyo.

“Hello Jessi~” I sang back at her, giggling all the while. “Are you going to be here soon? Taetae’s nearly done cooking. She made spaghetti today. Our favorite.”

“Wahhh~~ But Fany-ah… I can’t come.” I can imagine her pouting cutely as she apologized. “I need to help Soojung with something.”

“Who?” The new name confused me, yet at the same time, it felt familiar.

“Soojung— I mean Krystal.” Jessica corrected herself while I could hear Krystal shouting: “I said don’t ever all me by my Korean name, SOOYEON!”

The sounds were muffled as Jessica put her hand over her mouthpiece but her reply was still audible. “Whatever SOOJUNG!”

After a few more seconds of silence, she focused back on our conversation. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s ok, Sooyeon-ah.” I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing.

“Urghhh! Not you too!”

“Wae, Sooyeonie? It’s a cute name. It’s prettier than mine.”

“What’s your Korean name?” She asked me seriously.

“Find it out yourself. Merong~” I changed the subject before she can pursue the topic further. “Anyways, so you’re not coming?”

“Yup, sorry. I can’t come tomorrow as well. Soojung’s holding a surprise birthday party for Sulli.”

“But Tae’s not gonna be at home tomorrow. And Mimi-unnie too. You were supposed to ‘babysit’ me!” I whined and pouted, throwing a small tantrum at the thought of not being able to share some quality time alone with my girlfriend. “I was looking forward to being with you…”

“I’m real sorry baby… I know, why don’t you come over?! You can come together with Yoong and Ssul.” Her pitch rose even higher in excitement. “We can have our own little party in my room.”

We giggled together, thinking the same thoughts. “Alright then, I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

“Goodnight, sweetie.” She chuckled at the last word.

“Goodnight, love.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“Why haven’t you hung up yet?” I asked when I heard her breathing on the other end of the line.

“I was waiting for you to hang up.”

“No, you hang up first.”

“No, you first.”

“No! Ok, on the count of three.” She insisted with a chuckle. “1…”

“2…” I counted along.

“3!”

“…”

“…”

“You didn’t hang up!” I burst out in laughter.

“You didn’t either!”

“Let’s—” “GOSH YOU TWO! I’ll do it for you then!” I heard Krystal exclaim while stomping over to hersister.

“OHMYGOSHTIFFANYILOVEYOUBYE!~” Jessica said all in a rush before the call was cut off. I placed the phone back down and turned to go back to the couch, holding my stomach in a fit of laughter.

“So who’s the lucky boy?” The sudden voice surprised me and made me lose my balance. “Woahhh careful Steph!”

“UNNIE!!!~” My sister wrapped her hands around me to prevent me from falling down. She held my arm and led me back towards the sofas.

“That was your boyfriend?”

“WHAT?!” I exclaimed, scared that she might have overheard our phone conversation.

“Wasn’t it your boyfriend?” She sounded confused.

“Uhh… umm… yeah.” Technically I’m not lying.

“DINNER READY!” Taeyeon announced from the kitchen. “Fany-ah, when did Sica say she was coming?”

“That was Jessica?” Mimi asked me. Great timing Tae. sighh

“Uhhh.. Jessi said she can’t come tonight.” I ignored my sister’s question and answered Taeyeon’s instead.

“Does she come over all the time?”

“She practically lives here.” Taeyeon answered her as she walked towards us.

“You said you were talking to your boyfriend…” Mimi poked my shoulder.

“Uhhhh yeah. That was my.. b-boyfriend.” What should I do? What should I do? She can’t just find out like this.

“She’s dating Sica’s brother.” Taeyeon added from beside me.

“Ye-yeah! Jeremy-oppa!” I picked out a random name that started with a J.

“Ohhh…” Mimi pondered for a moment. “You could have just said it from the start you know. You didn’t have to be shy.”

I laughed along with the two of them to cover up my nervousness.

“So I guess she’s not her.” Mimi-unnie mumbled to herself.

“What?” Tae and I asked at the same time.

“Nothing…”

Yoona’s POV

“YOONG!”

I nearly dropped the remote control in surprise and Sulli shrieked from beside me as Yuri unexpectedly appeared at the door of our house on a normal boring afternoon. I rolled my eyes and cursed myself for giving her a spare key. Now she keeps inviting herself over anytime she wants.

“What now Yuri?” The tanned girl sat down heavily on the furry rug in front of the couch my sister and I were sitting on.

“How was shopping with the kids?” She casually asked me while sending Sulli a grin that was dripping with her charisma. Sulli scrunched up her face in disgust and threw me a confused look.

‘What shopping with the kids? You lied to her?!’ Sulli asked me with her eyes.

‘Shut up.’ I glared at her quickly before turning back to Yuri. “It was ok.”

“Great! Are you free on Friday?”

“W-why?” My heart leapt at the thought of spending time with Yuri, but then dropped again at the reminder of her new boyfriend.

“Fany’s sister is here and all of us are going to the amusement together. Wanna come along?”

“Actually, I think I might have something to do.” Sulli elbowed me right in the ribs. I winced at the sharp pain and turned to glare at her again.

‘What the hell?!’ I telecommunicated with her.

‘Why are you doing this? You know you have nothing to do and you want to go with them.’ She rolled her eyes back at me.

‘You don’t understand.’

‘Let’s have a talk after she leaves.’ Sulli suggested.

‘There’s nothing to talk about.’

‘We’re talking.’ She declared and left to her room before I could object further.

“Yoong, are you avoiding me?” Yuri heaved a sad sigh and sat down at the now vacant spot beside me.

“Why do you think that?!” I consciously shifted so that there will be some distance between us.

“I just really wanted you to come with me.” She scooted closer to me and made me look into her hopeful eyes.

“I’ll…”

“Think about it?” Her calm tone turned into a sneer. “What’s going on with you?”

“I’m fine ok?!” I stood up and walked over to the TV and closed it.

“Seriously, you’re not ok. Tell me what’s wrong.” The moment I hit the power button I immediately regretted it. The mood turned really solemn and the silence after Yuri’s questions that I cause became even more obvious. “Yoong-ah…”

“It’s just you know… since you’ve got a boyfriend now, things are going to change.” Yuri came up to me and led me back to the couch by holding both of my hands.

“No they won’t. What’s there to change? You’re still my best friend.” She pulled me into her arms and rubbed circles on my back.

That’s the problem… I’m just your best friend and you suddenly decided to turn straight again.

“Look. I’ll tell oppa that I’m busy that day. Let’s go hangout at the amusement park instead. Ok? I’ll show you that nothing has to change.” Yuri told me and showed me her pinky. “Pinky promise.”

Everything has already changed since the day you became more than my best friend. I looked away while considering my next move.

“Come on Yoong. I’m nothing without you. It has to be you and me together… we’re the Twin Troopers, remember?”

“Fine!”

“Yo! The twins are back!” Yuri raised up a hand and I high-fived it because that’s what best friends do. “And just in time for our day!”

“Got anything plans?” The choding part of me cheered in celebration although my mind still left numb and lifeless.

“You betcha!”

“Tell me bout it."

“Ok.” She told me with a grin. “Yoona, you know… I love you.”

I smiled back at her.

~~

When I opened the door to my room, I was greeted by the sight of my sister sprawled all over my bed as if she owns it.

“Move.” Without waiting for her to respond, I laid down my tired body onto the soft blanket and closed my eyes.

“Unnie…” Sulli merely rolled over to the other end of the bed, but made no attempt to leave.

“Get out. I’m tired.” My commands were ignored.

“You like her, don’t you?”

I turned my head to look at her, wondering how she knew and also how I ended up falling for my friend.

“You’re acting like when you broke up with that jerk.”

“Yuri’s just my friend.” The assertion sounded so fake that even a baby will know that I’m lying. And Sulli was taking nothing of that best-friend cow poop.

“Yuri-unnie is just confused about that oppa. I know that she meant what she said… about her being nothing without you. You two belong together unnie, so don’t give up hope.” Sulli sat up and rested her palm softly over my heart.

Her eyes looked sincere and wise. She passed her hopes through her hand and planted them deep in my heart. My brain commanded my body to turn away from her and sleep clouded my mind.

I let out a soft sigh, feeling too mentally exhausted to think. “Kid… you don’t understand. What possibly could you know?”

Sulli leaned close to me with a slight smile on her face and kissed my cheek lovingly. “Unnie… I know more than you think I know.”

With that, she left me in the hands of sleep. I peeked open an eye to see my baby sister walking out the door, closing it softly behind her considerately.

Kid… you’ve grown up.

 

Michelle’s POV

Who would have thought that in a toilet of a supermarket out of all places I would encounter a person from a past I’ve tried to forget. She stared at me and I stared back at her, both of us unable to believe our eyes. Gathering my thoughts again, I remembered my manners and bowed 90 degrees, greeting her politely.

“Hello, Aunty Jung.”

“M-michelle?” Her eyes sparkled and she grabbed my hands happily.

“Yes Aunty. It’s me.” I smiled widely. How long has it been since I last saw her… 10 years?

“You’ve grown a lot Mimi. I hardly recognized you just now!” She looked at me from head to toe.

“You haven’t changed a bit, still looking as pretty as always.” Aunty Jung beamed upon my compliment and chuckled while patting my arm good-naturedly.

“Why don’t we go somewhere else to talk?” I turned and noticed some ladies trying to pass by us as we were blocking the door. “Would you like to come over to my house? It’s just a few blocks down and I need to look after my daughters.”

“Sure, why not?” We happily linked arms and went on our way.

``

The Jung household in Korea was not very different from their residence back in America. The house was painted the same tone of a creamy white color, the fence had the same type of flowering vines wrapped around each post, and the decoration on the door was also the same.

“Welcome. Make yourself at home!” Aunty Jung said, opening the door for me. “My daughters should be somewhere around.”

At that moment, a teenage girl with shiny black hair came running to us from the kitchen.

“Mom, I need help! The kimbaps won’t roll properly.” She stopped her whine when she laid eyes on me and stood up straight beside her mother.

“Hi, Krystal?” I smiled widely at her, my eyes transforming into crescents that make up the Hwang’s infamous eyesmile.

“You know me?” She asked with her eyebrows raised and arms crossed.

Aunty Jung frowned and pushed the girl down by her head. “Soojung! Be respectful! Say hello.”

Krystal let out an audible groan but obeyed, as her mother will not let her go until she did.

“I’m Michelle Hwang. Nice to meet you.”

The girl continued staring at me as soon as she stood up straight. “Are you related to Tiffany-unnie?”

“Ooh, you’re smart. As expected of Aunty’s daughter and Jessica’s sister.” My compliment softened her expression for a second and her cheeks were tinted pink. “You know her?”

“Yeah. She’s Jessica’s girl—” Aunty interrupted her before she could finish and herded us into the kitchen. She asked me to help make kimbaps for Krystal’s friend’s birthday party taking place later that night to I willingly complied, as it has been a long time since I last made or ate Korean food.

“So why are you back in Korea?” Mrs. Jung asked, handing me a sheet of seaweed.

“I’m planning to open a branch of my company here. So I came to look for a place and possible employees, and to check the market.”

“So you’re planning to compete with our company?” She grinned, challenging me.

“If it turns out like that, then yes.”

“You said you’re looking for employees… would you consider Jessica? She’s majoring in fashion design and she’ll be graduating with Tiffany. Our company currently has no vacant jobs.”

“Sure!” Jessica will be a great candidate. “Speaking of Jessica, where is she?”

“She went to pick up her girlfriend.” Krystal answered me.

“Girlfriend?” I repeated tentatively, seeing that Aunty Jung looked embarrassed while the teenager was indifferent. “That’s cool.”

The mother breathed out an audible sigh of relief and smiled at me gratefully. Just then, we heard the door opened and voices filled the house as people came in.

“MOM! I’m home. Tiff’s here too.” A familiar voice announced as two pairs of footsteps approached the kitchen.

Tiff?

It was the blonde girl I saw yesterday at Taeyeon’s house, with my sister beside her, their hands entwined. She froze when she saw me and quickly let go of Tiffany.

So that’s how Krystal knew Tiffany.

“Hi Aunt Jung!” My sister greeted while bowing politely, oblivious of my presence.

Jessica’s girlfriend…

“Hello, Tiffany. Great timing Jessica, we were just talking about you with—”

 “Hey there Steph.” I interrupted quickly.

“UNNIE?!”