Love?

Seeing You [SunYeon special, 11/9/14] {HIATUS}

 

Chapter 24

Taeyeon’s POV

The week passed by with no sign of Jessica and the usual cheerfulness of my cousin. Whenever we get back home from school, she would lock herself in her room and would only come back out for dinner. No more than 5 words were murmured at a time. Every morning before school, Jessica did not appear to walk Tiffany to school. Also there were no usual overly sweet displays of affection between them. None of us knew what was going on and both of them refused to talk about it. The situation could only be described by one word… tense.

We were in the auditorium for vocals class and we were supposed to be working with our partners to compose a song. But I couldn’t focus as my attention was on my cousin and her girlfriend who were awkwardly sitting together while avoiding any kind of communication or interaction.

“Tae-tae?” A cutesy voice called from beside me. I turned to the owner of the voice who was now deep in thought with her tongue in her cheek. “Is everything ok with the two of them?”

“Quite obviously not. Tiffany is not being herself, and Jessica has gone back to being her old ice princess self. They’re supposed to be a couple but they’re not even talking to each other. Look.” I pointed as Tiffany and Jessica began apologizing to each other when their hands accidently touched. “They’re acting like strangers.”

Sunny nodded in agreement. “Yeah, that’s just weird. They were fine just four days ago.”

“A lot of things can happen in 4 days.” I replied gravely. “Anyway, let’s get back to work. I’ll talk to Fany later.”

“Ok. I’ll tell Yuri to talk to Sica because she’s closest to her.” We gave the couple a last worried glance before burying ourselves back under the pile work.

~~

Yuri’s POV

“Yuu-reee-ahh!!” Yoona imitated Tiffany’s way of calling my name when she spotted me near the lockers after school. “Let’s go eat ice cream.”

“Yoong! You’re getting pretty good at imitations.” I praised the girl and patted her head.

“Stop treating me like a kid. I’m just 5 months younger.” Yoona pouted and dragged me towards the exit.

“You ARE a kid… when it comes to food.”

“Whatever, come quickly, it’s so hot that I’m melting.” She entwined our fingers together to have a better grip.

“I’m so hot that I make you feel the heat~” I sang with a playful smirk.

“You wish.” She scoffed but I caught her eyes traveling down the length of my body. I decided not to rub it in.

“I don’t have to wish because I already am.” I flipped my hair for emphasis.

Before she could reply, we saw Sunny run towards us and she flung herself at me.

“Yuri-ah, listen.” She whispered into my ear while clinging onto me. “Go ask Sica what’s going on between Fany and her and don’t take ‘Nothing’ and ‘I don’t want to talk about it’ as a answer.”

She let go before I could ask anything and acted as if the last 10 seconds never occurred.

“So where are you two going in such a hurry?” Taeyeon asked as she and Tiffany finally got to us.

“Ice-cream!” Yoona answered with a smile.

“Did anyone say ice-cream??” Sooyoung immediately appeared at the mention of food. “Can I come? Ok, let’s GO~”

She put an arm around Tiffany and Yoona and started off without any of us saying ‘yes’. I started following the trio but Taeyeon grabbed my arm and motioned towards Jessica who was at her locker. I nodded and quickly approached the girl.

“Hey!” I greeted and put an arm around her shoulder.

“Hey Yul.” She did not even look at me.

“I need to talk to you.” Ok I’ll be straight to the point, just the way our Ice Princess likes.

“Aren’t you talking to me already?” She replied coldly.

“Let’s go to a café.” I shut her locker for her and dragged her by her hand. Our friends were already by the school gates by the time we caught up with them. As soon as Jessica realized that Tiffany was going to be coming along with us, she started struggling again.

“Yah, let me go!” She screeched as she tried to pry my hand off. And boy, she was strong.

“No, you’re coming with us.” I bit my bottom lips in an attempt to not cry out in pain.

Tiffany froze when she heard Jessica’s voice and the girls stopped to wait when they saw us approach. Using the interruption as an excuse, she moved out of Sooyoung’s binding arms and bumped right into Taeyeon.

“I’m going home.” She announced quickly before pushing Taeyeon to make her go and following with speedy steps.

Our attention was grabbed by the two who were hurrying down the street with Sunny running after them. Jessica stopped struggling and frowned while crossing her arms in annoyance.

“Ok, let’s go.” She said after a moment, now wearing her poker face as if Tiffany’s leaving did not affect her. She started walking without waiting for us to follow. I ran after her and took her hand again.

“You know, Sica? It’s ok to show some emotion. I’m here if you need me.”

At my words, her face softened and a frown once reappeared. She held my hand back and gave a slight nod. “I know. Thank you.”

“Well, that’s what friends are for right?” I gave her a wide smile to cheer her up. “And now I’m going to show you why ice-cream is the best mood-booster in the world. And then I’ll do whatever my Ice Princess commands.”

--

“Order one choco-mint and green tea for Sica and me and have what you want. It’s my treat.” I told Yoona and Sooyoung before they rushed to check out the displayed flavors.

“You’re going to be broke.” Jessica commented dryly while taking a seat opposite me. “Why are you sitting at a table for two?”

“In case you want to talk. And judging by the way those two shikshins are going to eat, it’ll be embarrassing to be called their friend.” I added the last part teasingly.

“You should be proud to have goddess friends like us.” Sooyoung and Yoona placed their multiple cups of ice-cream on the table next to ours and handed us ours. “Yoong, let’s have an eating competition.”

My prediction came true and Jessica and I decided to ignore our two ‘friends’. Instead, I focused my attention onto Sica who was silently eating like a princess.

“Don’t you usually eat banana?” I asked after seeing the way she looks surprised by the taste.

“Tiffany likes choco-mint.” She replied, smiling slightly. “But she doesn’t seem to be liking me a lot lately.”

I remained quiet so that she would continue quickly. Jessica took a deep breath and put her spoon into the empty cup and looked straight at me.

“We’re taking a break.”

My spoon fell out of my hand in shock and I stared back at her open-mouthed. “You two BROKE UP?”

Jessica rolled her eyes, looking around to see if my loud voice has garnered any attention. “No Yul. We’re taking a break. For two weeks.”

“W-why??” I never thought it would be this bad.

“We got into a fight with Claire the other day and then Tiffany called me saying that she needed some time to think and clear her head.”

“But isn’t taking a break too extreme?”

“It’s just a break.”

“It’s JUST a BREAK??” I repeated flabbergasted.

“Seriously Yul, stop making an ocean out of water vapor. We’re not breaking up, she just needs some time. I won’t let her go that easily no matter what comes in between us… I love her.” Jessica’s hand reached for the little pink crown-shaped pedant. “I don’t know how to say this Yuri, but she’s the one. And I know that she loves me too.”

“I know. But seeing both of you so glum is making all of us worried.”

“Yeah, we’re sorry. Just give us time.”

I smiled to reassure her that I understand and I went back to eating my already melting healthy ice-cream.

Sica has found her ‘the one’, Taeyeon has hers right next to her although she doesn’t see, but when am I going to meet mine?

Taeyeon’s POV

“And that’s what she has been doing all week.” I finished my narration to Sunny just as Tiffany locked her bedroom door.

“This is not good.” Sunny back-hugged me sadly while going back downstairs to talk about the situation. “I wonder how YulSic is doing.”

Just then the doorbell rang, the loud chime resounding through the quiet house.

“Yuri, we were just talking about you.” I told her as I led the taller girl into the living room.

“So what happened? Did you talk with her?” Sunny asked curiously.

“Yes. And it’s not good news.” Yuri sat down with us and looked around. “Where’s Fany?”

“Holed up in her room.” I answered with a sigh. “So what’s up.”

“Sica told me that they’re taking a break.”

“WHAT?!” Sunny and I exclaimed simultaneously. “No way! Why?”

“She’s not so sure either.” We listed to Yuri attentively as she retold us what she has learnt.

“So it was Fany’s idea? I’ve never seen her do anything as senseless as this.” I managed to say unbelievingly.

“What should we do?” Sunny asked with her head in her hands while she tried to think of a solution.

“We can’t do anything. It’s up to them. Time will solve it I guess.” Yuri answered after a while and stood up to leave. “Well, I’m leaving now. My father has arranged another dinner meeting.”

We nodded and gave her an encouraging smile. “You can do it, Yul. Your father will understand in the end.”

“Thanks girls. See you tomorrow.” She waved with a stronger smile and took her leave.

I sighed again and went to sit beside Sunny and wrapped my arms around the girl.

“I felt bad when those two started dating. I felt angry that Sica would do something like that to me, with my cousin.” I told her, resting my head on her shoulder. “Now that something like this has happened, I feel worse and I can’t stop worrying. I have a feeling that I’m one of the reasons that they are like this.”

Sunny did not try to tell me that it’s not true, because it obviously is. Dating friend’s exs are bad enough already, but dating the ex-GIRLfriend your own cousin (who is like a sister) is bound to get you plenty of bad looks and sneers. She just put her arms around me and patted my back to comfort me.

All of a sudden, the door burst open and Jessica came in carrying a plastic bag. She stopped when she spotted the two of us and raised her eyebrows with a smirk.

“Am I interrupting something?”

Sunny and I were so surprised by her sudden entrance that we were frozen in our uncomfortable position. We cleared our throats and released each other.

“S-sica-ah! What are doing you here?” I asked to change the topic. I am used to Sica letting herself in, but this time it was really unexpected.

“I need to make some coffee.” She walked to the kitchen and raised the bag to show us. “I went to Sunflower but Sunny wasn’t there so I figured I’ll use the one here.”

Sunny and I followed her and silently watched her move around from the dining table. Jessica put some coffee beans into the little brown machine and let it do its job while she melted some caramel on the stove. Soon the whole floor was filled with a comforting aroma of roasted coffee, making all three of us relax and feel optimistic. She poured the coffee into four cups and mixed the caramel into it. She smiled in satisfaction when she was done and brought two cups of caramel coffee over to us.

“For you, since drool was practically coming out of your mouths.” She said before taking the other two and leaving the room. “I’m going to upstairs for a while… I’ll prefer it if you two stay here.”

Surprisingly, it was more of a request than a demand. Sunny and I looked at each other, sensing the difference in Jessica that Tiffany has caused.

~~

Tiffany’s POV

I was sitting in my corner again when I heard Jessica’s voice. For a while I thought my mind was playing tricks on me because I missed her so much, but then I heard Taeyeon say “Sica-ah, what are you doing here?!”

I was so surprised that I stood up too quickly and lost my balance, falling backwards into the wall. I ignored the pain and hurried to the door to listen. I even poked my head outside but I couldn’t hear anything more.

I stumbled back to my bed, my depressing thoughts replaced by worry and anger. Why is she here? I just told her to give me some time.. Why can’t she respect my choices? Why is she making things harder by coming here?

Too engrossed in my mental talk, I did not hear Jessica’s footsteps coming up the stairs. I did not notice her presence until she opened the door and came inside.

“Tiff?” She softly called my name, inching her way slowly towards me in the dark. I pulled up my blanket higher, mentally cursing myself for forgetting to lock the door.

“Can we talk?” She asked. She placed the two cups of coffee in her hands on the table and sat down at the end of my bed.

“What do you want?” Jessica stopped her fidgeting, surprised by the coldness in my voice.

“I want to know why you are being like this. I want to know what I did wrong.”

“You did nothing wrong.” I unwillingly admitted.

“Then why are you like this?” She asked again while scooting closer to me and taking hold of my hand.

“Jessica, I’m tired of it. I’m tired of all the people whispering behind our backs as if we won’t hear them. I don’t see it, but I can feel the way they look at us because both of us are girls, because you used to date Taeyeon.”

“Look, I don’t—“ She tried to say that she doesn’t care what other people think.

“But I care Jessi. What kind of cousin am I, dating someone Taeyeon still loves? You deserve someone better. I’m useless, I can’t even see. And I’m tired of wondering whether what we have is really love.” Jessi tensed at my last sentence.

“Are you doubting our love?” She asked with disbelief.

“I’ve never fallen in love before, so I don’t know how it is really like. And why would anyone who can see love someone who is blind? I’m just a burden to all of you.”

“Are you implying that I love you out of pity?” Jessica let go of my hands abruptly and stood up in anger. “Tiff, how can you say that?”

I kept quiet, not wanting to add fuel to the fire. She asks how can I say that? I just did.

“I LOVE you for who you are, I NEVER doubted for one second that I truly love you. Did you ever believe it when i told you that I love you? I can’t believe you think that….” She trailed off, taking deep breaths to calm herself. “You’re right, we do need a break, one that is longer than two weeks. Actually don’t even bother spending more time to think because obviously you don’t love me enough to want to fight for this relationship, to fight for US. All those times you said those three words to me.. did you even mean them? Did you even love me?”

Jessica stormed away without even waiting for me to answer, slapping the door in her wake. I flung my blanket over my head and sought for some comfort in the suffocating darkness. What have I done?