The Dance

Seeing You [SunYeon special, 11/9/14] {HIATUS}

 

Chapter 17

Yuri’s POV

As soon as we opened the door to the Assembly Hall, loud booming music greeted us. Sunny grabbed Taeyeon and ran onto the dance floor. Sooyoung immediately rushed over to the food counter. I was left alone with the couple who were standing side by side awkwardly. I looked around to see what I should do. Food? Not hungry. Dance? Don’t like this song. Isn’t there anyone else here?

I spotted Yoona standing by herself on the other side of the room. She caught my eye and waved at me and beckoned me to come over. I pushed my way through the dancing crowd towards Yoona.

“Hey!”

“Hey.” She replied while smiling widely.

“You’re alone?” I asked as I looked around for her boyfriend.

“Taecyeon-oppa’s talking with the DJ.” Yoona replied and looked over my shoulder to the music station. “And there he comes.”

“Yoong, he said he can.” I heard a male voice behind me. Taecyeon walked past me and stood beside his girlfriend while putting an arm around her waist.

“Who’s she?” he asked upon seeing me. The jerk looked at me with an eyebrow raised, totally checking me out.

“Someone you don’t need to know.” I replied short.

“A friend. Oppa, can you go get some drinks for us?” Yoona said to him sweetly.

Taecyeon walked away without replying. I watched Yoona as she sighed while looking at him.

“Is everything ok?” I asked concerned.

“Yeah. Well, not really.”

“What’s wrong?”

Yoona didn’t reply immediately. “I mean it’s ok if it’s something you don’t want to tell me. I understand.”

“No, no. It’s just that.. I think he’s cheating on me.” She said while still staring at her boyfriend.

“You know, I think you still have a chance. Yoona’s boyfriend is a jerk, a good-for-nothing player.”  I remembered what Jessica said to me on the day I first met Yoona.

Yoona-ah, do you only realize it now?

Before I could say anything, a cup of orange juice was placed in front of me. I looked up at the guy who was holding it before I took it out of his hands. Taecyeon has a flirty smirk on. Is he trying to hit on me in front of his girlfriend?! I looked down at the cup of juice, feeling disgusted even to touch it.

“Thanks oppa.” Yoona said while eyeing the two of us. Taecyeon turned his attention to her and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

“Anything for you, my angel.” EWWW.

“Taec-oppa!” A girl called from the other side of the room. Taecyeon looked over and smiled at her the same way he smiled to me.

“Yoona, I’ll be back in a while ok?” He left quickly without even waiting for her to answer. I glared at him disgustedly, getting angrier by the second until a laugh distracted me.

“Huh? Why are you laughing?” I asked Yoona who was laughing her alligator laugh again.

“The way you were glaring was so funny!” She said while still laughing.

“Yah! How can you laugh when your boyfriend just left you for another girl?” I shouted at her while grabbing her by her shoulders. Yoona immediately stopped laughing and looked at me with eyes filled with sadness. I realized that she was just pretending to be having fun to cover up her anger and heartbreak.

“Sorry.” I apologized as I let go of her.

“It’s ok. I excel in acting for a reason.” She answered while flashing me a wide smile, although her sad eyes remained the same. “Can we talk about something else?”

“Ok. Why were you at the park that day?” I asked her, referring to the day when I woke up to see her beside me.

“Oh that! I saw that park on my way to work and it looked really peaceful so I decided to take a walk. Then I found you sleeping alone under the tree. I thought it was dangerous for a girl, especially a pretty girl like you, to be sleeping along in a public park, so decided to wait until you woke up, which you did after a while.”

My mouth curved up into a cheeky smile as I listen to her blabber out her explanation.She called me pretty.

“Hey, why are you smiling like that?” Yoona asked me and held a cute pout.

“So you’re a guardian angel huh?”

“What?”

“I knew that you were an angel, but I never knew that you were my guardian angel.” Yoona’s cheeks became a tint redder than normal and she bit her bottom lip coyly. No matter how good of an actress she is, she was unable to hide her blush. “I’m glad I’ve met such a beautiful angel.”

“I’m not yours. Don’t let Taec-oppa hear you say that.” Yoona told me while her smile turned upside down.

“All right. You’re not mine. But you’re still an angel.” I reassured and smiled my brightest smile. She grinned up at me, her cheeks turning red again.

“Yoona, do you want to eat anything? I’m going to get some popcorn.”

“Just get some more juice for me please.” I took her order and went away while waving at her to remain there.

“Oh sh*t. You damn drink!” I heard a familiar voice shout. I turned around to see my small friend running after my other small friend.

“Hey Sunny, what’s going on?” I asked her as I walked towards her. She just pointed over to where Jessica, Tiffany, and Sooyoung were sitting and did some incomprehensible hand motions to explain while continuing to run out of the Assembly Hall. I scratched my head confusedly and shrugged the matter off.

“Hey gurls! How’s it going?” I said as I got to the food table and my friends.

“Hey Yuri!” Jessica and Tiffany answered back simultaneously. Sooyoung who was busy eating just waved a hand at me. “Where have you been?”

“With Yoona. Came to get some food for us.” I said as I looked at the leftovers. “If Sooyoung hasn’t eaten everything that is…”

“I haven’t, SEE???” Soo replied with her mouthful and held up a petty plate of popcorn.

Jessica’s phone rang before I can reply. She listened to whoever was talking on the other side without saying anything.

“WTH? She hanged up on me!” she shouted at her phone after a while.

“Who was it?” Tiffany asked.

“Taeyeon.” Jessica answered. She quickly told Tiffany to remain with Sooyoung before running out of the AH.

What is going on? Why are both Jessica and Sunny running after Taeyeon? I smell trouble; my Sica-instincts are telling me that something is going to happen.

I looked over to the other side of the hall to find Yoona but she wasn’t where I left her. I looked through the crowd and finally found her dancing with Taecyeon. Seeing that she was safe (well relatively, eww Taecyeon just winked at me while hugging Yoona) and not alone, I took off after Jessica.

Taeyeon’s POV

My eyes searched for Jessica and Tiffany as I sat down at a table waiting for Sunny to come back with our drinks. I haven’t seen them since we got to the dance, I shouldn’t have let Sunny drag me onto the dance floor.

I looked at the couples swaying to the soft music in the middle of the room. Last year, Jessica and I were just like them. We would be this year too, if only Claire didn’t mess us up.

Finally I spotted a blonde and a brunette dancing together… Jessica and Tiffany. I watched them as they hugged each other tightly, smiling as if they were in heaven. Jessica looked so beautiful. Her light colored hair dangled down her back in waves. Her dress flaunted off her y curves. How I wished I was the one in her embrace. My eyes never left them as they stopped dancing for a while, as Jessica touched Tiffany’s cheek, and then kissed her on the lips.

Tears sprang up in my eyes, anger and jealous were bubbling inside me once again. I stood up and quickly exited the Assembly Hall. I can no longer stand the scene in front of me.

“Taeyeon! Where are you going?” Sunny asked running after me. “Oh sh*t. You damn drink!”

I heard Sunny swear and stop chasing me after she spilled her drink. I took the chance to run away, away from everyone, away to the football field. I collapsed onto the soft grass and laid on my back, looking up at the stars. But I couldn’t see the glowing lights in the sky.. the night is dark, obscured by my tears.

I sat back up and wiped my tears away. I will not cry because of this. Taking out my phone, I called Jessica.

“He—” Jessica answered after a few rings.

“Come to the field, I wanna talk to you.” I hanged up before she can say anything.

I laid back down to wait for her to come.

Jessica’s POV

Beep beep beep beep“WTH? She hanged up on me!” I shouted at my phone.

“Who was it?” Tiffany asked from beside me.

“Taeyeon.”

“Oh, what does she want?” Tiffany looked worried and sad.

“I don’t know. Listen, stay here with Sooyoung ok? Don’t go anywhere. I’ll be back in 5 minutes. Taeyeon’s waiting for me in the field. She said she wants to talk to me.” I kissed her forehead, gave Sooyoung a last glare that made her choke on her drink, and left quickly.

I ran down the hall ways and out onto the football field. I saw someone lying on the grass and I walked towards her. I stood beside Taeyeon and looked down at her. She was still looking at the stars high above. She did not say anything. I just stood there waiting.

Five minutes passed slowly, and neither of us has uttered a word. I glanced at Taeyeon again before turning around and starting towards the school buildings. A gentle tug on my hand stopped me. Taeyeon stood up and hugged me from behind.

“Jessica.. why are you doing this to me?

“Why did you stop loving me? What did I do wrong? Why can’t I still be with you? Why can’t I love you? Tell me, why??!!”

I removed her hands from my waist and turned around to face her.

“It’s not your fault Taeyeon. I’m sorry. It’s just that I don’t love you that way anymore. I’m still your friend, like we used to be. I still love you very much, but I love you as a friend, like a sister. I’m sorry, it’s not your fault.” I told her gently.

“No I don’t believe you! You’re lying. Tell me that you still love me!” Taeyeon shouted at me as she came closer and tried to kiss me.

“Taeyeon, no.” I struggled to get out of her embrace but she had a strong hold on my shoulder.

“Taeyeon, stop! Calm down.” Sunny said as she ran towards us and pulled Taeyeon off me.

“Sica! Are you ok?” Yuri came to me and took my hand comfortingly.

We looked at Taeyeon who has stopped struggling and was now crying hard in Sunny’s arms.

Yuri walked over sat down beside the two.

“Sunny, take Jessica back to the others. I want to talk to Taeyeon for a while.”

Sunny tried to get up but Taeyeon clung onto her and would not let go. Sunny looked at me helplessly and apologetically.

“I-it’s ok, I can go back myself.” I managed to say and turned around and walked back to the Assembly Hall.

I tried to recompose myself and act as if nothing has just happened. I opened the door and stepped back into the party. Sooyoung and Tiffany turned towards me as I sat down between them.

“You ok?” Sooyoung asked. “You look pale.”

“Jessi, you took wayyy longer than 5 minutes. What happened? Where are Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked concerned.

“I’m fine. I’ll tell you guys later.” I pulled Tiffany into an embrace and buried my face in her shoulder as if to block out my worries about Taeyeon. Sooyoung shrugged and went back to eating. Tiffany hugged me back and asked no more.

Yuri’s POV

I looked at Taeyeon who was still crying and sighed. She looked so broken and so small.

“Taeyeon listen to me. Please.” I started.

Both Taeyeon and Sunny looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

“Taeyeon, I know how you’re feeling right now. It must kill you to see Jessica and Tiffany together, to see them hugging, kissing—”

“Yuri, stop.” she interrupted.

“I know that it feels like your heart is being torn out of our chest and cut up into pieces right in front of your eyes.” I continued, ignoring her command. “I know it hurts like fcuk and that you don’t want Jessica to get out of your grasp. But you know what? You have to accept it, the fact that she doesn’t love you that way anymore, that she loves Tiffany. Or else you’re just going to end up hurting all of us.”

I didn’t realize that my voice has grew louder as I was speaking. I took in a big calming breath before continuing again. “You want to have Jessica back…. You don’t realize how lucky you are. To once have gotten her love, to have been able to hold her in your arms, to have your love accepted.. you don’t know how lucky you are, Taeyeon. You should be happy that she was once yours, even though she no longer is.”

I finally stopped talking after running out of things to say. I wiped the tears that were sliding down my cheeks and looked at the two in front of me. Taeyeon has stopped crying and they were both staring at me.

“You’re… right.” Taeyeon said slowly. Sunny nodded her agreement, still looking surprised.

“Do you like Jessica?” she continued and asked me.

“H-huh? What does it have to do with you getting over her?”

“Nothing.. but the way you just spoke. Yeahh u do.” Taeyeon said and nodded solemnly. “I’m sorry. I was selfish. I can’t believe it took me this long to realize it.”

She looked at me and Sunny and apologized again.

 “You like Jessica! And no one knew!” Sunny said, still surprised.

 “It’s ok. Just don’t tell Sica about me.. liking her, alright? I don’t want to trouble her.” They nodded as I stood up to go back. “Oh right, you guys coming with us tonight? We’re going to have a late-night picnic at the beach.”

Taeyeon shook her head. Sunny followed suit as she held the other girl’s hand. “I’m going to stay with Tae.”

“Hey Yuri? If you want anyone to talk with, you can always come to us ok? We’re your friends.” Taeyeon said.

“Yes. I know. Ok, see you two on Monday.” I waved goodbye and ran back to my other friends.

I decided to make a stop at toilet to wash my face. I splashed the cold water on my face.

“Ahh refreshing! How good is it to finally let it all out!” I said loudly and spread out my arms as my chest felt much lighter after crying.

Suddenly I heard flushing and someone came out of the toilet stall behind me. I quickly brought my hands down beside me, embarrassed.

“Oh, hi Yuri!” Yoona greeted me cheerfully.

“Heh heh, hello Yoona.” I replied, blushing bright red. I splashed more water onto my face in order to hide the blush.

“Where did you disappear off to while we were talking?” she asked me. “I thought the food ate you or something.”

“Oh, I was feeling dizzy with all the loud noise and I needed some fresh air.” I lied to her.It’s because your “boyfriend” was giving me creepy winks and he grosses me out.

We walked back to the dance side by side, not really saying anything. As we turned a corner we heard a voice talking quietly inside an empty classroom. Yoona stopped in surprise.

“What?” I asked. She shushed me and continued listening.

“I hate it when you’re being like this.” the guy said.

“Well, I hate it that you are still not breaking up with her.” a girl said.

“I will, ok? I’ll break up with her tomorrow. You know that I love you, right babe?” he answered.

The conversation died out and we heard the girl giggling. Yoona’s fists were clenched hard and she seemed angry. Like really angry. She suddenly stomped towards the room and opened the door roughly.

“Yah! Ok Taecyeon! YOU BAST**D! YOU DON’T NEED TO WAIT TILL TOMORROW. I’M BREAKING UP WITH YOU RIGHT NOW!” Yoona screamed at her now-ex-boyfriend and slapped him hard. Then walked back to where I was standing in the doorway.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me out into the hallway. We ran all the way back to the bathroom. Yoona let go of my hand and slid down onto the floor, crying. I crouched down and put my arms uncertainly around her and patted the younger girl’s back.

“He’s a bast**d. He’s not worth crying over. He’s not worth your tears. Shhhh don’t cry.”

As quickly as Yoona had burst out in tears, she stopped crying.

“Unnie, you’re right. I’ve always known that he was a jerk, I don’t even know why I went out with him. I never even really loved him.” She wiped her tears away and attempted to smile at me. “Thank you Yuri-unnie.”

I smiled back at her and patted her head. “Now that’s a good girl.”

Yoona looked up at me shyly and gave me a peck on my cheek and a hug. I laughed at her adorable actions, making her giggle.

“Yoona, wanna come along for a late-night picnic? My friends and I are going outside of Seoul to refresh our minds.”

She pondered for a moment before nodding. “Sure, why not? As long as you’re going to be there.”

I took her hand and we walked back towards the dance.