Study Together

My Heart Beats Only For You

The next photo was of you smiling with a box of the kimbabs that you made. This photo was taken after our final examinations and you made kimbabs for the picnic that we had to celebrate the end of examinations which was eleven months since I first met you. I remember the period of the examinations being so hard. We didn’t meet up for we were all busy studying. I remembered myself being in my own room, doing up notes when my phone rang. It was a call from Princess Kim Haemin, a name that you keyed into my phone.

“Yes, princess?”I answered.

“Eunhyuk, are you free?”you asked.

I’m always free for you, baby.

“Yes, why?”I asked.

“Cause Donghae isn’t picking up his phone,”you said.

“Oh, so I’m a substitute?”I joked.

“NO! You are never a substitute for anyone!”you were so anxious then I had to laugh.

“I was just kidding. What makes you call?”I asked.

“Do I need to have a reason to call?”you asked so gently that my smile faded due to the shock I received from that sentence.

My heart warmed up at that very moment.

“I was just feeling really stressed and wanted to talk to someone,”you said.

“I’m always here for you,”I said and I really meant it.

“I know. Same it goes for me. I’ll always be here for you too,”you had said.

I believed you. But I shouldn’t have. With that promise of yours, etched in my mind, I thought you would be there for me through every trying situation. But I was wrong. You ain’t here now when I need you the most. I kept calling you but it seems like you are deliberately ignoring me. Haemin, where are you?

“So, Ms Kim Haemin, what do you want to talk about?”I asked.

“I don’t know. I just feel really stressed up now,”you sighed.

Whenever you sighed, it makes my heart sink. I would feel so helpless when I can’t take your troubles away.

“It’ll be over soon,”I said.

“I know. Anyway, I better not disturb you. Moreover, I have many chapter s to go,”you said.

We then said our goodbyes. I studied late into the night, busy writing more notes. Getting some snacks in between. Chanting the notes, understanding them before a phone call from you disrupted me once again.

“Yes, princess, miss me too much?”I joked.

“Eunhyuk…,”

My smile faded. I could tell from your quivering voice that you were crying.

“Are you okay?”I asked, anxious.

“Sorry, I was just really stressed up,”you sniffed hard.

“Do you want me to go over?”I asked.

“No, no! I don’t want to trouble you. I’m fine! I’m just too stressed. Will you spare me a minute?”you asked.

“Sure sure,”I readily agreed.

“There’s so many chapters. I read it like a maniac yet nothing goes in,”you complained.

I listened attentively as you ranted. By the time you were done, you were feeling a lot better.

“Feeling better?”I chuckled.

“Yes. Thank you!”you said.

“It’s nothing,”I brushed it off.

“Now, you must be thinking that I’m so naggy,”you joked.

“When you grow old, it’ll be put to good use,”I teased.

“YAH!”you exclaimed before laughing.

“Haemin, do you want to go out and study together?”I asked.

I never thought that I would have the courage to do that.

“Tomorrow? Okay! What about Donghae?”you asked.

“We’ll ask him too!”I said.

We then hung up. But Donghae that brat couldn’t study with us because Soobin had asked him first.

[Haemin, Donghae’s studying with Soobin. So what do we do? –Eunhyuk]

[We’ll go by ourselves then! ^^ -Haemin]

The next day, I got up really early to choose an appropriate attire. I packed my books and walked over to your house to fetch you. I rang the doorbell and you answered with a shocked expression.

“Omo! Didn’t we say to meet at the café?”you asked, towel in hand to dry your hair.

“I can’t let a lady walk by herself. It’s on the way anyway,”I walked in.

I became a regular at your house within a month.

“Where’s your parents?”I asked.

“They’re out, doing morning exercises. They’ll be back soon. Help yourself to the drinks. I’m going to my room to change!”you called out before the door closed.

I went to the kitchen to look for strawberry milk. Ever since, I became a regular, your mum would always buy it just for me to drink when I’m over. I took a glass and began drinking. The door opened and I popped my head out to see your parents walking in.

“Hello, Eunhyuk! Been busy preparing for exams, right?”your mum greeted.

“Good morning!”your dad greeted.

“Good morning! Yes, exams are just around the corner,”I said as I made my way towards them.

“Good, study hard and you’ll do well. Your future mother-in-law told me that you’re studying with Haemin today. Do help us take care of her and guide her in her studies. Her intelligence is rather…,”your dad joked.

“Dad! What future mother-in-law?! Aish! And I’m smart!”you had opened the door just in time to hear your dad’s comment.

Back then, your parents always joked that I should get together with you and that we would get married one day.

“Aigoo, Haemin, Eunhyuk’s a fine gentleman! You must be blind to not be attracted to him,”your mum whacked you lightly.

“Aunty, I still have a long way to go to be a gentleman,”I laughed.

“Stop calling me Aunty! Call me, mum!”your mum continued teasing.

“Let’s go, Eunhyuk!”you grabbed my hand.

“Bye, uncle! Bye, aunty!”I bowed before walking out.

“Eunhyuk’s a really good catch,”I heard your dad say before you closed the door.

“Sorry about that,”you laughed as we made our way to the café.

We chatted as we walked and we settled down once we were at the café. We ordered breakfast which we ate happily. After breakfast, we started studying. I glanced up and saw how serious you looked when you studied. Your beauty always leaves me in awe. Your complexion was so flawless that I always wondered whether you were even human in the first place. At that point of time, you looked up and caught me looking at you. It was too late for me to turn away but you grinned at me, showing off your perfect teeth. You were fond of smiling like that during that month since you had just taken out your braces a few weeks ago.

You went back to writing your notes.  I may sound like a creepy ert, but I could stare at your face all day long. Seeing you smile, your eyes turn into the perfect shape of a crescent moon and your straight white teeth, which was the product of putting braces for years, showing. That is how I always remember you. But do you remember me? Do you remember my smile just like how I remember yours? The small details, do you notice? Unknowingly, a tear slipped the corner of my eyes. God, I miss you so much. Where are you? Why won’t you answer my calls?

End of Chapter

DarkAngel