Photography

My Heart Beats Only For You

The next day, I got up, showered and wore my hat before carrying the sandwiches over to meet Donghae and you. The two of you waved frantically when you all saw me walk down the street. I then ran while holding onto my hat.

“Woah, you look awesome with that hat,”you complimented.

I smiled and we were on our way to the park. Donghae took out the picnic mat and spread it out. We settled down and began eating. The weather was just nice and we were all having fun. I then took out my camera and began snapping. That was how that picture was taken.

“You really like to take pictures, huh?”you asked.

“Yeah, its been my hobby,”I replied.

“Maybe you should enter that photography competiton!”you suggested.

“He did think about it. But he needed a pretty model,”Donghae said.

It was written in the requirement. The photo submitted was to be of a female model. When I saw it, I gave up entering. Who in the world would want to be my model? I wasn’t a professional photographer and only take photos for the fun of it. Moreover, in my eyes, there are only two people who are pretty in the whole wide world. My mother and you. I couldn’t possibly ask either of you to be my model, right? That would be a little weird.

“What about Ae-young?”Donghae suggested that girl again.

“Is she pretty?”you asked.

“Really pretty! Yah! You really should have went out with her that time,”Donghae frowned.

When he found out that I didn’t ask her out, Donghae gave me hell. Ae-young was considered the prettiest girl in school and I had rejected her. Everyone called me a fool. But I didn’t dare ask her out. After all, my ex girlfriend had left a deep scar which finally recovered after many years.

“Oh, it’s a pity you need a pretty model or I could be of help,”you suggested.

“HOW MANY TIMES MUST I TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE PRETTY? HAVE A HIGHER SELF-ESTEEM, WILL YOU?”Donghae exclaimed.

You frowned at Donghae. Donghae then grinned and both of you burst out laughing.

“Would you do me the honors of being my… model?”

I stumbled on the last word. I had nearly blurted out ‘girlfriend’ instead of ‘model’. That was close!

“You really wanna use me for your submission?!”you exclaimed.

“Why not? You’re pretty,”I smiled.

“See, even Hyuk agrees,”Donghae nudged you.

“Oh, okay! When do we take pictures?”you asked.

“No need for that. I’ll just use that photo I took of you with the kimbabs,”I said.

“WHAT?!”Donghae and you exclaimed.

“What’s with that reaction? It’s a good photo!”I defended my choice.

“Well, you’re the pro. So, if you want to use it, we can’t really say anything,”Donghae frowned.

“But that is so not professional! Don’t professionals take black and white photos or something?”you asked.

“I think that picture was good. I’ll just use that,”I said.

“I still think you’re mad,”you passed me a sandwich.

I smiled and continued eating. When we were all done, I went home to print the picture out. That picture was a winner! With your bright smile, I was really confident of winning. I put the picture into an envelope and submitted my entry the next day.

Two weeks passed with no news. I was beginning to worry. How could that photo not win? Everyday, I check the mail box, hoping to receive news of my victory. But was let down again and again.

“I told you that picture wouldn’t win!”you said as we continued playing video games.

I was over at your house, playing video games. Donghae was behind us, watching us while eating snacks.

“It has been two weeks!”Donghae said.

“Just one more day!”I pleaded.

We had ended up betting if I would win with that so-called lousy photo. I was to treat the both of you if I didn’t win. That day was the last day of the betting period. I sighed. Was my skill that lousy?

“Fine, today shall be the last day,”you gave in.

“Hyuk, give it up. You’re gonna have to treat us,”Donghae chuckled.

After we were done playing, we walked down the street towards my house. We were to open the mail box together. My heart was racing like a mad horse. I was quiet while you two were chatting non-stop. Once we reached my mail box, I was dead nervous. My hand was shaking a little when I took out my key to open the mail box.

“Good luck!”you yelled.

Although you two hoped that I would treat you all to a nice meal, you all still wanted me to win the competition despite the slim hope. I turned the key and opened the mail box. I took out all the envelopes and began looking through it. I found one with my name on it. I glanced at you then at Donghae. Donghae reached out to hold onto the other envelopes. I opened the envelope addressed to me and began reading the letter inside.

[Dear Mr Lee Hyukjae, we have received your submission for our photography competition and are pleased to inform you that…]

My eyes widened and my heart did a leap.

“I WON!”I exclaimed.

“REALLY?!”Donghae and you exclaimed.

I showed the both of you the letter.

“CONGRATULATIONS!”you came up to hug me.

I hugged you back and took in your floral scent. Donghae then gave me a hug after that.

“Let’s go out to celebrate!”Donghae suggested.

We then took off to go celebrate. As promised, the both of you treated me to a nice meal.

“Woah! I can’t believe you won! That photo was so ordinary!”you smiled.

“That means your beauty is exceptional,”Donghae nudged you.

“Oh, you!”you punched Donghae lightly.

I agree with Donghae. Up till this day, I still think you’re the most beautiful person on earth. Unknowingly, I began to tear up again. This hole in my heart can’t possibly be fixed ever again. I couldn’t even keep track of the countless times I’ve cried ever since you left. I’ve been asking the same old thing everyday. I’m tired of asking. For I know you’ll never tell me where are you now.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel