Donghae's Birthday

My Heart Beats Only For You

It then came to the day of the celebration of Donghae’s birthday. We arranged to meet at 7pm at your house which was next door to Donghae’s. I wore the suit that you have chosen for me when we went shopping the other day with Donghae. However, you refused to let Donghae and I see what you bought as a surprise. I left my house much earlier so I could reach your house early to leave a good impression. I reached your house at 6.45pm and rang the doorbell. Your mum answered the door and gestured for me to go in.

“Hello! Sorry to disturb. Where’s uncle?”I bowed.

“No need to be so polite with us! Do come visit us often! We haven’t seen you since you recovered from your fever months ago. He has business to attend to, that’s why I’m not attending the party. This old woman here has no partner. Have a drink,”your mum gave me a glass of strawberry milk.

My eyes widened in shock to see it.

“Oh, Haemin told me you love it so I decided to buy it. I had a feeling you’ll be early. You’re a gentleman! Haemin could use a boyfriend like you,”she chuckled.

I knew my cheeks heated up at that very moment.

“Sorry for the trouble,”I stuttered.

Then, we all heard the loud noise coming from a pair of heels. I looked up and my heart literally stopped beating. You were wearing a dark blue tube short dress and a pair of beige heels. You looked up, saw me and gave me a smile. But I couldn’t bring myself to return the smile. I was in awe of your beauty. I have never seen someone as beautiful as you. It was as if an angel descended from heaven. I’m not kidding.

“You’re early!”you smiled.

“I didn’t want you to wait,”I replied awkwardly.

“What’s wrong? I don’t look good?”you began tugging your dress awkwardly.

“No, no! You look really beautiful! It’s just that I’m rather shock at how good you look,”

I must be really nervous for I said that sentence in rapid-fire speed. And I swore I saw you blush after I said that.

“Oh,  you two look so compatible. Eunhyuk, please take care of Haemin tonight!”your mum patted me on the back.

“I will. Don’t worry!”I smiled and we left your house.

We walked over to Donghae’s house and showed the doorman our invitation card before making our way in. We scanned the garden for Donghae and finally found him, surrounded by his relatives. He saw us and he waved. We went over.

“Happy birthday!”we handed him his present.

“Thank you! Wow, Haemin, you look exceptionally pretty today!”Donghae complimented.

“Gee, thanks!”you looked down with embarrassment.

“Oh, I’ll introduce you to Soobin. You haven’t met her, right?”Donghae got all excited.

He went off to tap a girl on her shoulder. He held her hand as they walked back towards us. Standing before us was a girl with long curly hair, wearing a white dress.

“Soobin, this is Lee Eunhyuk and Kim Haemin, my two best friends. I’ve mentioned them a few times,”Donghae introduced.

“Haemin stays next door, right?”Soobin asked.

“That’s right! And guys, this is Park Soobin, my future wife,”Donghae grinned.

“Oh, you!”Soobin looked like she wants to dig a hole to hide.

During the week leading up to Donghae’s birthday, he had asked her to be his girlfriend and she have finally accepted.

“We’ve heard a lot about you. It’s a pleasure to be able to meet you,”you stretched your hand out to shake her hand.

We shook hands with one another.

“Anyway, you guys entertain yourselves first, alright. I need to go greet more relatives whom I’ve never seen before,”Donghae grinned.

“We know. Go, go, go!”I pushed him lightly.

“Let’s go,”he grabbed Soobin’s hand and off they went.

“Well, this formal party is really stuffy,”you commented as you looked around.

“We seem so out of place,”I looked around to spot anyone of our age, but to no avail.

“Thank goodness, you’re here with me!”you smiled at me.

“My pleasure, Miss Kim Haemin,”I grinned.

“Oh, let’s leave early to go eat ice-cream!”you suggested.

“Will Donghae mind?”I asked.

“I doubt so, we’ll tell him later,”you said.

The party was a blur as we felt mighty uncomfortable. We ate, drank and talked. Then, it was time for the birthday boy to take pictures with all the guests. It then came to our turn and that was how the picture was taken. After two long torturous hours, we told Donghae about our plan and he gave us the green light to leave early. We walked towards an ice-cream parlor nearby. I ordered for the both of us and we settled down to eat.

“Was that your first time going to Donghae’s party?”you asked.

“Yes, I usually don’t have a partner to go with so I usually skip it. Donghae’s a nice guy, he doesn’t get upset over it,”I replied.

“Oh, no wonder. If you have attended all his parties, we would have met way before college,”you said.

True enough. Donghae and I were best friends since elementary school whereas you two have been neighbours since young. He would have invited you for all his parties just like how I was too.

“Did you bring along a partner everytime?”I asked.

But I immediately regretted it.

“Er, yeah. Just random guys until Key came along,”you replied softly.

There was silence and nobody spoke a word.

“I’m sorry for reminding you about the past,”I apologised.

“It’s okay! It’s just been a few months so…,”you struggled to explain.

“No, I understand. Remember, I promised to be patient with you? You don’t have to apologise,”I smiled.

“Thanks, Eunhyuk, you really are a wonderful friend,”I smiled.

That same word stung me. But I tried my best to cover it.

“Let’s go,”you stood up after we were done eating.

As we walked out, you missed a step. Immediately, I reached out to catch hold of you.

“Wow, you’ve quick reflexes,”you laughed.

What kind of girl even laughs after they nearly fell? Gosh, Haemin, you are really unique.

“You okay?”I asked.

“Yeah, I’m alright,”you smiled.

But when you tried to walk, you realised that you have sprained your ankle as you winced in pain.

“You sprained your ankle, Haemin. Is it really painful?”I asked, concerned.

“Nah, I’m alright. Let’s go home,”you faked a smile.

You took off your heels and tried to walk but failed miserably. I couldn’t bring myself to see you agonizing in pain. I went in front of you and knelt on one knee, with my back facing you.

“Haemin, get on. I’ll piggyback you home,”I said.

“No, its okay!”you kept declining.

“Yah, Kim Haemin, if you don’t get on, I’ll carry you bridal style,”I turned around to threaten you.

You got scared and timidly walked towards me. In the end, I piggybacked you back to your house.

“Am I heavy?”you asked.

“No, as light as a feather,”I  answered.

This conversation then became the standard conversation we will have whenever I piggybacked you.

“Thank you, Eunhyukkie. Your future girlfriend is so lucky,”you said softly.

Well, you didn’t know back then you’ll be the lucky girl. But I would rather say that I’m the lucky one to have you.

“Do you need me to bring you to a doctor tomorrow?”I asked.

“Oh no, that’s not necessary. I’ll get my parents to bring me. I don’t want to trouble you further,”you answered.

It’s no trouble when it comes to you. But of course I didn’t say it.

“What are friends for,”

I felt so fake, saying that. I rang the doorbell and your mum opened it again.

“Omo! What happened to you, Haemin?”she asked.

Your mum let me in.

“She sprained her ankle. I’m sorry that I didn’t take care of her well,”I apologized.

“It isn’t your fault. I didn’t look where I was going,”you quickly explained.

“Don’t need to blame yourself, young man. At least you brought her back safe and sound,”your mum patted me on my back.

“That’s right! He even wanted to bring me to the doctor tomorrow!”you nodded your head.

“Oh, you’re too nice! Just leave that to us! You really would make a good boyfriend for our dear Haemin,”your mum smiled.

“Mum!”you looked so embarrassed.

“Er, it’s late. I’ll get going! Have a good sleep! Rest well, Haemin!”I quickly said.

“Do visit us often!”your mum sent me to the door.

 As I walked alone in the quietness of the night, I began to feel happier. We were getting closer and your mum seemed to like me a lot back then. I was thinking that I might stand a chance after all.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel