Date

My Heart Beats Only For You

I went on to the next picture and smiled immediately. It was a picture of Donghae, Soobin (Donghae’s childhood friend), you and me at Donghae’s birthday party. It had been four months since you turned single. You were wearing a dark blue tube dress with beige heels. It was my first time seeing you all dressed up, I remember being in awe of your beauty. As Donghae was a rich lad, his 18th birthday party was a really formal and grand one. Invited guests were asked to bring a partner along. Donghae, being a devoted lover, had asked Soobin, his childhood friend who he has been in love with since young.

I remember the three of us sitting at the cafeteria, thinking of who to ask along since the party was two weeks away.

“Haemin, why don’t you ask the boys in your class? I’m sure they’ll love to go with you!”Donghae suggested.

“We’ve only been classmates for ten months! I’m not that close to them anyway,”you shook your head.

We continued to suggest dates for one another, with Donghae coming up with weirder suggestions.

“How about Nami?”Donghae grinned cheekily.

Immediately, I gave him an irritated look while glaring at him.

“You must be crazy,”I rolled my eyes.

“I was just joking, take it easy, Hyuk!”Donghae laughed.

You looked at us, not getting our conversation.

“Nami is our dearest’s Eunhyuk’s ex girlfriend,”Donghae explained to you.

“Oh! Isn’t it weird to ask your ex to go with you? I mean, I doubt he’ll be so desperate to ask her! I’m sure many girls are willing to go with him! He’s handsome!”you gave me an eye smile while complimenting me.

I avoided eye contact immediately, trying to breathe normally and reducing the rate of my heart beat.

“I was just joking! How about Ae-young? You two nearly got together that time!”Donghae nudged me.

“Oooooo! Tell me about her!”you were all excited.

I looked at you, searching for any hints of jealousy and was greatly disappointed when I found none. Your eyes were so bright with excitement, wanting to know about my past relationships.

“Oh, I can tell you about her! He can never tell the story without blushing,”Donghae chuckled.

“Omo! BLUSH? Awww, you’ll look so cute,”you teased me as well.

We were that close then. The three of us were well-known around school as the three musketeers.  Donghae then started telling you the story of Ae-young. I sighed and listened as well. The only person who knows about the Ae-young girl was Donghae. He began telling you the story of how I met her at the audition for the dance club back at our previous school. She was someone with two left feet. Yes, she couldn’t dance but yet she loves dancing. I remember finding her so cute for being so clumsy. But what the heck was I thinking of? She is nothing compared to you. I was young back then. We were asked to audition together due to time constraints.

“Can you believe it? They asked her to dance with Hyuk!!!”Donghae couldn’t stop laughing.

“Oh! She didn’t pass the audition, right? Hyuk’s a dancing machine, for god’s sake,”you said proudly.

I had to smile.

“Of course not, are you mad?”Donghae replied.

“Then, what happened?”you asked, grinning.

Of course, she was rejected on the spot while I was immediately accepted. She wouldn’t stop crying and I decided to comfort her. We then exchanged numbers and texted each other daily. We then developed feelings for each other.

“It seems so perfect! But why didn’t you all get together?”you turned to ask me.

I was dumbfounded at your question. I hadn’t expected you to ask it. I glanced at Donghae but he gave me the look that said ‘you-should-answer-this-yourself’.

“Because I was afraid,”I mumbled.

I caught a glimpse of your surprised expression.

“Nami hurt me. I was afraid ever since,”I struggled to explain but only managed that simple sentence.

I looked up and saw that you had an understanding look. Without me explaining much, you understood my feelings well. You smiled before holding onto my hand.

“Don’t be afraid, I’ll kill anybody who hurts you!”you grinned.

“What about me?”Donghae asked.

“I’ll do the same too! You two are my best friends!”you exclaimed.

My heart sank. But I remembered my promise to you.

 “I hope you can be patient with me as I try to get on with life,”

I promised to be patient. I’m sure I can win over you. With you, I’m not afraid. You made me courageous. 

“Anyway, back to the topic, do you wanna ask Ae-young?”Donghae asked.

“Nah, she’s attached. It’ll be awkward to ask her,”I answered.

“Oh, you all still keep in touch?”you asked.

I nodded my head.

“Are you jealous?”Donghae chuckled.

“Why would I be jealous for? Are you out of your mind?”you whacked Donghae.

“Jealous that he still keeps in touch with her. Who knows, he might get attached and leave you alone,”Donghae teased.

“You won’t leave me alone after you get attached, right?”you asked, earnestly.

“Of course not,”

Because I had plan to get together with you. If I ever get attached, you’ll be my other half. You wouldn’t be alone.

“See, Hyuk’s unlike you! You only care about Soobin,”you glared playfully.

“Hey, I’ll still hang out with you all! I swear I will!”Donghae quickly said.

“We believe you!”I chuckled.

“So, who are you going to ask?”you asked me.

“HEY!”Donghae clapped his hand suddenly.

The both of us jumped in shock.

“Why don’t you two go together?”Donghae’s eyes sparkled.

“You mean, I’ll go with Haemin?”I asked, stupidly.

“I’m speaking Korean. Why can’t you understand me? Of course, I’m asking you to go with her!”Donghae gave me an annoyed look.

There was silence. I wouldn’t think that you would want to go with me. The reason why I didn’t ask you was because I was too scared that you will reject. And I was just a best friend to you, isn’t it weird for me to ask you like that?

“Think about it! You two know each other so well! I’m sure you’ll enjoy each other’s company! It beats getting stuck with people you’re not even close with!”Donghae smiled.

I looked at you. You were deep in thought.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to,”I patted you on the back.

“No, no! I was thinking of what to wear!”you laughed.

“Huh?”I was confused.

“I can’t believe you would think that I’ll reject you! I would love to go with you! I was already thinking of what to wear!”you laughed.

Your addictive laughter made all of us laugh.

“So, we’re going together?”I asked to confirm, in case I was hearing things.

“Of course! Let’s go shopping for new clothes!”you were getting all excited.

That was how we ended up as each other’s dates for the party.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel