Cooking

My Heart Beats Only For You

The picture that followed was of the both of us smiling widely at the camera during one of our dates. We were having a picnic at a park and it had been 8 months since we have been dating unofficially. I was getting all excited at the nearing 1 year anniversary for that day will be the day I would ask you once again to be my girlfriend. It was just another day where the both of us were just enjoying one another’s company under the sun. The breeze was good, blowing once in awhile, so that your hair dances with it.

You were just sitting and enjoying the breeze as you close your eyes and I couldn’t help but smile as I unpacked the things in the picnic basket. Those 8 months that we have been together were so smooth sailing with no fights- if you exclude those childish ones. It really seemed as if we understood each other well and were made for each other.

“Are you hungry?”I asked.

You opened your pretty eyes and turned to look at me.

“When am I not hungry?”you tilted your head while joking.

“How true. Here you go,”I passed you the salad.

I looked through what I have prepared and felt really proud of myself. I had prepared sandwiches, salad and some finger food. Wondering what I was looking at, you looked in the same direction, taking in the dishes on the mat. Your face turned red all of a sudden.

“Why is your face so red? Are you having a fever?”I asked as I reached out to touch your forehead.

“No, just ashamed of myself,”you took my hand and placed it on the mat, still holding onto it tightly.

“Why?”I was confused.

“You prepared so much food and all I prepared was kimbaps and drinks,”you frowned.

I laughed immediately, earning a punch from you.

“Don’t worry, Haemin. Your kimbaps are so delicious, it beats all my dishes hands down,”I tried to cheer you up.

“Is it really that good? It’s the only dish that I’m confident with. Should I learn to make other dishes?”you asked.

I nodded my head, approving of the idea.

“But my mother doesn’t really like to teach me how to cook. I’m a little hopeless in the kitchen,”you sighed before continuing to eat the salad.

“Hmm, I can get my mum to teach you!”I smiled.

“Can she?”your face brightened up.

“She would love to,”I reached out for a bottle of drink.

You gave me a smile before proceeding on to eat something else. I took out my camera and went over to sit next to you.  As I lifted the camera and pointed it at us, you naturally lean your head towards me and smiled at the camera. We surveyed the picture before I went back to my original place. We continued talking and eating till it was late in the afternoon. We decided to head back to my house so help wash up the containers that were used to keep the dishes.

“Hello! We’re home!”I called out as I unlocked the door.

“Hi aunty! Hi uncle!”you greeted.

“Hello Haemin! How was the picnic? Was Eunhyuk’s food suitable for consumption?”my mum joked.

“Oh, it was really good!”you complimented.

“I take after my mum,”I smiled.

We walked towards the kitchen and began washing up. My mum just stood nearby watching us, smiling happily to herself.

“Eunhyuk, can your mum teach me how to cook today?”you whispered.

“As in, for dinner?”I asked.

You nodded.

“I guess so. Why don’t you ask her? She’s just there,”I smiled.

Immediately, your facial expression changed to one of dread. I knew you were always a little shy around my parents but I hadn’t expected you to be so shy. Moreover, you had gotten along well with my mother for the past few months. I chuckled to myself and turned to look at my mum.

“Mum, can you teach Haemin how to cook dinner later? She wants to learn how to cook,”I asked.

“Oh, that’s not a problem! I’m surprised that you would even want to learn from me,”she smiled.

“But she said she’s a little hopeless in the kitchen so…,”before I could even finish, my mum cut me off.

“Don’t worry, I’ll look after her well,”my mum just smiled before walking away.

From the corner of my eye, I saw you heave a sigh of relief.

“That wasn’t so bad, right?”I ruffled your hair.

You nodded before giving a smile to express your gratitude.

“You owe me one,”I joked before turning back to the sink.

“I’ll pay you back one day, my beloved prince,”you turned to help me.

When it was dinner time, my mum and you busied yourselves in the kitchen, preparing the ingredients needed for the dishes for dinner. My dad, not knowing why I keep standing at the kitchen like a statue, came to join me.

“Why are you standing here?”he asked me.

“Haemin’s learning how to cook,”I explained.

“Good, watch after her. I’m afraid she’ll burn herself. She’s not an experienced cook after all,”my dad patted my back.

For the rest of the cooking duration, my dad and I just watched quietly as my mum taught you how to cook vegetables and my favourite sweet and sour pork. You listened diligently and was doing well except for some minor hiccups where you nearly burnt your hand or chopped your fingers.

“I’m so thankful that mum is beside me. I don’t think I’ll ever let her be in the kitchen alone,”I heaved a sigh of relief as my mum saved you once again from the boiling oil that was used to fry the pork.

“Your mum and I were just thinking of her flaws. She seemed to be too perfect but now we know she’s human after all,”my dad looked at you fondly.

“Yeah, the only major flaw is that she cannot cook,”I shook my head as I smiled.

“This girl will take very good care of you. When you two get married, you should cook for her. It’s the least you can do for her,”my dad told me.

“Don’t worry I will,”I smiled at him.

“Don’t let her slip away. She’s indeed an angel sent by God,”he said before walking away.

I would never have let you go, Kim Haemin. You will forever be my princess. For the rest of my life, you will always be the only one in my heart.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel