Rough Patch

My Heart Beats Only For You

 

The next photo was one that made my heart ached. This photo was taken on a random day that you took me out to a date. That’s right; it was the other way around this time round because we had actually had a fight before that. It happened a year and two months after we got together officially and things were becoming unstable due to our lack of time for each other.  We were already in our second year of university and by that time, I had started to be more active in the Student Union because of my position as President while you were starting to get busy, preparing for major concerts. You were nominated to be the band’s President too. Hence, being so busy with our school activities, we only met up once a week. On top of that, we had assignments to do and exams to handle. We just had no time to meet up. Even if we did, it was just to eat at the school cafeteria before I sent you back.

Things worsened when either of us started to cancel dates because of our own activities that clashes with our dates. It did not bother either one of us since we did agree that our school work or activities shall take priority. We did not pay much attention to it at first. The situation started during the eighth month of us being together but we let it drag for six months. Initially, we did call each other every night to talk but as school laid more burdens on us, the phone calls ceased and we just stuck to our weekly dates which sometimes don’t even happen.

“Yah, Eunhyuk, how long has it been since you last met Haemin?”Ryeowook asked all of a sudden.

I stopped doing the spreadsheet on my computer screen and paused to think. It was quite hard recalling our last date and I took the calendar to check.

“Just two weeks ago. Why?”I asked.

“This can’t go on, Eunhyuk. What kind of couple survives like that? Although your love for each other is really strong but this won’t do. You’ve gotta meet often,”Ryeowook reprimanded.

“But I’m really busy,”I sighed.

Ryeowook came up to whack me with his book.

“That’s no excuse. Hyuna and I are busy too. But we meet up more than once a week. You all are going to have problems if you all continue like this!”Ryeowook scolded.

I kept quiet and thought about it.

“Stop doing all your work and think for once. When was the last time you all had a nice time together, enjoying each other’s company? With the rate you all are going, you two are just meeting for the sake of meeting,”Ryeowook shook his head.

I thought of his words and decided he was right. It had been six months since we had a proper date. I had missed just sitting about, not doing anything, smelling the scent of your hair. I took my phone and dialed your number, ignoring the spreadsheet on my computer.

“Hello?”you answered after the phone rang for awhile.

“Haemin, you alright? I miss you,”I said.

“I miss you too. Just really busy. What’s up?”you asked.

“Do I really need a reason to call?”I sighed, looking at the time.

It was dinnertime. I wondered if you had eaten.

“I guess not. But I’m actually heading out soon,”you said.

“Oh, you’re going for band practice?”I asked.

“No, didn’t I tell you I was going out with Donghae today?”you replied, sounding a little annoyed that I forgot.

“Oh yeah, I forgot,”I sighed.

“Can’t be helped that you have so many things to do,”you replied indifferently.

“Anyway, I won’t disturb you anymore. Enjoy your night out with him,”I said.

“Okay! Love you,”you said.

“Love you too,”I replied before hanging up.

That conversation had left me numb. It was as if something was missing and we had sounded like an old married couple who are tired of their whole relationship.

“Ryeowook, can we talk? I’m lost,”I said to him.

“Sure,”he nodded.

I went over to the sofa and sat down. I told him everything about our phonecall earlier and it seemed as if bells are ringing his head.

“If you all continue like this, you might break up sooner or later,”Ryeowook said firmly.

My heart dropped. No way. I couldn’t lose you. I love with you all my heart.

“Is she busier or are you the one who is busier?”he asked.

“I’m usually the one cancelling dates and being all busy. When I get busy, she just hangs out with Donghae,”I told Ryeowook.

“You mean, she hangs out alone with Donghae often?”he asked.

“Yeah, the three of us used to hang out every month till I got busy three months ago. So, Haemin continues the clique outing alone. But recently, they’ve been meeting more often. Like every week without fail and sometimes multiple times in a week. What’s wrong with that?”I asked.

“Nothing’s wrong with her hanging out her best friend. But the fact that she’s spending more time with her best friend than you says something, isn’t it?”Ryeowook asked.

“You mean, like Haemin would cheat on me?”I asked.

“NO! No way is she going to do that. But she would be closer to him and you two will drift apart. Do you get it?”Ryeowook shook his head.

That was when it hit me. Our relationship was in danger and we needed to talk. But the problem was where do we find the time?

“Make time for it, Hyukjae. This is serious,”Ryeowook patted me on the shoulder.

Suddenly, I felt so stressed up. I hadn’t known that our relationship would become so stagnant and that we would stop progressing. That was when I realised that a true relationship does not just rely on love alone. We had to make the effort to spend time together with each other. That night, I waited till midnight to call you.

“Hello?”you answered sleepily.

“Are you asleep?”I asked.

“No, just sleepy,”you replied.

“Can we meet up soon?”I asked.

“Sure. Which day next week?”you asked.

I felt a stab in my heart. We got so used to this routine of meeting once a week that when I asked to meet, you would naturally plan for the week after.

“Haemin, I meant someday closer. Like maybe tomorrow,”I said.

“Oh, aren’t you busy? I mean, you said we could only meet yesterday because of your sc hedule,”you told me.

Though our date didn’t happen because you cancelled it at the last minute so I ended up eating with Junsu.

“Well, I can make time for you,”I smiled.

“Hyukjae, is something wrong? This is so unlike you,”I could sense you frowning.

“Frankly speaking, we need to talk as soon as possible,”I said.

There was silence before you spoke.

“Are we breaking up?”you half whispered.

“No, Haemin. What makes you think that? It’s just that our relationship is a little stagnant if you realize,”I pointed it out.

“Of course I did. But it can’t be helped with you being so busy,”you said.

That was when I felt anger for being fully blamed for our situation but I pushed it away.

“Alright. It’s late. We’ll meet up tomorrow, okay,”I said.

“Erm, actually, I have a date with Donghae. But you can come along. You haven’t seen him for months,”you replied.

I hesitated for I had wanted to hang out with you alone.

“Hyukjae, you there?”you asked.

“Yeah. Okay, I’ll join you all,”I replied.

You told me the details of your outing with Donghae and arranged on where to meet.

“Okay. Goodnight,”you said.

“Wait! What about a proper date? Just the two of us?”I asked.

“What about next week?”you asked.

We started arranging to meet the following week.

“Alright, goodnight,”I replied.

“WAIT! Prince! WAIT!”you shouted into the phone.

“Yes, yes?”I asked.

“We aren’t breaking up, right? Sorry, I’m really paranoid. I just don’t want you to leave me, that’s all,”you said.

My heart warmed at that sentence.

“Of course not. I love you, princess! Goodnight,”I smiled.

Although our relationship had hit a rough patch, but you still had the ability to stir my emotions. You could make me angry, sad or happy in a split second. 

End of Chapter

DarkAngel