You Really Don't Know?

My Heart Beats Only For You

 

I flipped to the next page of my precious photo album to find a picture of you giving me a kiss on my cheek. It was taken on my 22nd birthday. We had been together for two and a half years which meant that we would have known each other for more than four years. I remembered how the day before I had another regular date with you. We were trying to get some fresh air from all the stress at school. It was my last year in university and I was due to graduate in two months hence I was feeling all the stress coming from my final round of exams. I had managed to maintain my results and held onto the precious scholarship.

“What would you like to have for lunch?”I asked as I parked my car at the mall.

“Pizza! I’ve been craving for it,”you replied.

“Pizza it is then!”I declared as I locked the car.

“Eunhyuk, why don’t you ever think of yourself first?”you asked out of nowhere.

“What do you mean?”I asked with a smile as I held onto your hand.

“Why do you always ask me what I want to eat? For once, ask the same question to yourself and eat whatever you want. I’m sure you have cravings just like I do,”you said seriously.

“Are you unhappy that I’m always letting you have everything in your way?”I asked.

“Yes. Because I’m afraid that I may take it for granted again. And believe me; Donghae really hates it when you pamper me like that,”you answered.

“What has it got to do with that fish anyway?”I laughed.

“He’s always complaining to me how you dragged him to satisfy your cravings just because you chose to eat whatever I wanted during our dates,”you replied.

“Fine, fine, I’ll tone down on the pampering,”I pinched your cheek.

“But lunch will still be pizza! You can choose whatever you want for dinner,”you hurriedly said.

All I could was laugh as we settled down at a famous pizza place. After we ordered, we continued our chit chat.

“Do you think we’ll ever have an awkward moment where we will have nothing to say to each other?”I asked.

“I doubt so. Why?”you asked, obviously amused at my question.

“We’re meeting again tomorrow. What if we have nothing to talk about tomorrow because we’ve finished talking about everything today?”I asked.

“I really don’t think we can ever finish talking. But even if we did, I still enjoy being in your company though we’re not doing anything,”you smiled.

“True. And tomorrow will be a long but special day!”I cheered as the waiter placed the pizza down.

“Why?”you asked as you reached out to get a slice.

“You forgot?”I froze.

“No, we’re going out tomorrow. What’s so special about that?”you asked.

My face paled and my heart dropped. I looked at your face, looking for any hints that showed that you were playing a prank on me. But I found none. You face was filled with genuine curiosity.

“You don’t know the date tomorrow?”I asked.

Instantly, you frowned, not knowing what I was talking about.

“Tomorrow is 4th of April, Haemin,”I said firmly.

“And…?”you asked, not knowing where I was heading to.

“And 4th of April is my birthday,”I answered.

At that moment, I was crestfallen. My girlfriend of nearly three years had forgotten about my birthday. I looked at you as you widened your eyes in astonishment.

“Omo…,”you managed to exclaim softly.

There was silence as none of us spoke.

“I’m so sorry…I forgot!”you covered your open mouth.

“It’s okay. You’re really busy anyway,”I tried to smile to brush it off.

But you wouldn’t let it go.

“Now I know why you insisted on meeting me tomorrow!”you clapped your hands once.

I tried to pretend that it didn’t hurt as I continued chewing on the pizza that I had in my hand.

“I think I can quickly buy a present later…,”you mumbled.

“With me around?”I asked with disbelief.

“Why not? We’re not that awkward with each other anyway,”you shrugged.

“You’re…unbelievable,”I shook my head.

“I’m just unique,”you smiled, oblivious to all the pain that I was feeling.

“Thanks, Kim Haemin,”I replied sarcastically.

“Here, eat more. I can’t possibly finish it all by myself,”you placed another slice on my plate.

But after the conversation that we had, I had no room in my stomach for pizza. However, I didn’t want to spoil the mood so I stuffed it all into my mouth. After paying for the meal, we walked around to shop for awhile. Looking at things that you would like in the departmental store, you kept asking whether you should get the things you were eyeing. Although I did try to show interest, I was rather nonchalant as I was still disappointed.

“Come on, don’t be such a spoilsport. Look at your things too! See if you like anything and I’ll buy it for you,”you grinned.

I looked at you and at that moment, I had really wanted to cry. What was with the talk about not taking me for granted? You were taking me for granted at that every moment. Not remembering my birth date and asking me to pick my own present.

“Haemin, you…really…,”I didn’t know whether to continue.

I wanted to laugh at the irony yet I wanted to cry at how disappointed I was with you.

“Oh, look at that!”you pulled me towards some section where they had pretty tops on the racks.

I just stood nearby as you continued shopping. I really did not know what to do with you.

“Do I look good in this?”you asked.

“You look good in anything,”I said.

It was a habit of mine to say that. But that doesn’t mean I was saying it just to please you. To me, even if you were just wearing pajamas, you would still look like the prettiest girl on earth. Even dressing in simple shirt and shorts, you could make me fall in love with you. And although I was upset with you, I still could not take my eyes off you. Just because I still love you. 

End of Chapter

DarkAngel