Happy Birthday Princess

My Heart Beats Only For You

Standing in front of me at that time was you, wearing a silver party dress and heels. You had even put on makeup for the occasion although we were only celebrating at my house. I couldn’t take my eyes off you at that moment and just kept staring while you looked at me. You frowned before looking at what you were wearing.

“Is it very ugly?”you asked.

“No, you look beautiful, princess. I was just too stunned,”I explained before smiling.

“Oh, you!”

With that, you blushed before punching me playfully.

“Oh, Eunhyuk, you’re here?”I heard your mum calling me.

I looked into the house and bowed to your parents. Your parents talked to me for awhile before we set off towards the direction of my house. We walked in silence apart from your heels clicking on the gravel pavement. I turned and marveled at your beauty again. I couldn’t help but smile while reaching out for your hand.

“Happy birthday,”I said when you turned to look at me.

“Thanks! Where’s my present?”you stretched out other hand.

“Idiot. How can you demand for a present?”I smacked your hand lightly.

“Why not? I gave you those expensive dancing shoes for your birthday!”you laughed.

We reached the lobby of my house and before you could proceed to press the button for the elevator, I pulled you back.

“What?”you raised an eyebrow.

“You wanted a present, right?”I grinned.

I let go of your hand before reaching into my pocket to get it. It was just a small box with a ribbon wrapping it. I took your hand and placed the box gently on your palm.

“Can I open it?”you asked, grinning from ear to ear.

“Sure,”I nodded.

Slowly, you unwrapped the box and lifted the top. Sitting on a small white cushion was a charm bracelet with only one charm.

“I’ll get you one charm for each month leading to our first anniversary when we are an official couple. So this charm bracelet would be really precious to you that you wouldn’t take it off,”I explained the meaning of it while smiling.

But I did not get any answer nor smile from you. Your head was hung low and there was silence at the lift lobby. My heart started racing. I was thinking if I had made the wrong choice for a present. But those thoughts were erased when I saw your shoulders shaking.

“Haemin, don’t cry,”I lifted up your face to see tears streaming down your face.

“Thank you. I really like it,”you smiled with tears still flowing.

I caressed your face as I wiped the tears away gently, careful not to smudge the makeup.

“I’m just really touched about the whole idea behind it,”you tried to laugh a little as you wiped your tears.

“Haemin, you’re going to smudge your makeup. I’ll help you wipe your tears,”I told you before wiping your cheeks gently.

You reached into the clutch you were holding for tissue and I took it from you to wipe the tears.

“Do I look okay?”you asked while sniffing.

“Apart from the red nose, yeah,”I chuckled.

You turned to look at your reflection on the door of the elevator.

“Oh man!”you groaned.

“Don’t worry, you’re still the most beautiful girl in the entire galaxy,”I put my arm on your shoulder.

You elbowed me as the door opened for us to enter the elevator. You pressed the button and the elevator slowly went up. We walked towards my apartment’s door and I opened it for you.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”exclaimed everybody in the house.

Donghae, taking that as a cue, started popping the party poppers while cheering as loud as possible while standing on my couch.

“Thanks, everybody!”you smiled.

Classmates from your class began gathering around you and showing you the presents that they have left in the corner. People from other classes who knew you were waiting for their turn. Soobin was just watching as she smiled whereas Donghae was in his own world, bursting all the balloons. Soon, the crowd dispersed and Donghae came forward with Soobin.

“Happy birthday, Haemin!”the both of them greeted while presenting you with a box.

“Thank you!”you were about to reach out to hug Donghae when Donghae held his hand to prevent you from doing so.

Donghae looked at me.

“Can we hug?”he asked.

“Of course,”I rolled my eyes.

That guy was really being weird the whole day. The two of you hugged before you went on to hug Soobin. The party began and everybody started eating all the food. Donghae pulled you towards the dining table.

“See all these food? Eunhyuk made it with the help of Soobin!”he grinned proudly.

“Then, why are you so proud of it? It’s not even your effort,”you replied absent-mindedly as you took some sausages.

“WHAT?! I helped to cut the ingredients,”Donghae defended himself.

“Yeah, making a mess of the kitchen,”I shook my head.

As soon as the clock struck 7pm, Donghae went to take out the cake and lit it up.

“Oreo cheesecake?!”your eyes widened.

“Your favourite,”I patted your shoulder.

“Thanks, my prince,”you smiled.

Donghae brought the cake over and everybody sang the birthday song for you. Afterwhich, I cut a slice of cake for everybody. Soon, everybody was done with the cake and Donghae decided to get the real party started. He started to take out all the alcohol and offered a glass to anyone who’s near him. Every single person in the party was drinking except me, of course. I was just sitting on the couch, drinking my strawberry milk before you came over with my camera.

“SMILE, PRINCE,”you smiled at the camera with your face close to mine.

You took it and we surveyed the picture.

“Not bad, princess. You’ve got my talent,”I chuckled.

 Everybody had gathered in the living room and we were about to start singing karaoke. Once the atmosphere got high, it never came back down. The adrenaline rush that we were all feeling became constant till it was midnight and we had to cease the noisy activity. Everyone began saying their goodbyes. The house restored its peaceful ambience and the only ones who were conscious were Soobin and I.

“Donghae, go and shower,”Soobin had pushed him.

“Erm,”he just nodded with his eyes closed before he slowly made his way to the bathroom.

Soobin began packing up the living room while I went to clear up the kitchen.

“Do you need my help?”you asked in a sleepy tone.

I turned to see that your cheeks were rosy. Obviously, you drank a lot that night. Donghae, who claimed that he would watch over you, had drunk more than you and couldn’t even take care of himself.

“Why don’t you go take a shower and sleep?”I smiled.

“Donghae’s using the bathroom,”you replied, while trying to help clean something.

“Leave it, princess. Today’s your day. You can use my parents’ bathroom,”I gestured towards my parents’ bedroom.

You hesitated, not knowing whether it was alright to use it.

“Go on,”I went up to push you a little.

You went to my bedroom to get your pajamas (yes, you were regular be then) before heading towards my parents’ bedroom. With the both of you in the respective showers, Soobin and I cleaned up quickly.

“You must be tired. You can sleep in my room with Haemin to have some privacy,”I told her.

“Nah, I’ll sleep in the living room with Donghae. I’m worried about him,”she replied.

“I’ll get a mattress for you. Let Donghae sleep on the couch. It can get uncomfortable at night,”I told her.

She nodded and went off to get her clothes that she brought along, after the kitchen was neat and tidy. Donghae, came out of the shower and headed straight for the couch. I went to the storage room to get a mattress for Soobin and laid it with a mattress cover. I went back and got pillows and blankets for Donghae and her. I made another two trips to get a mattress, pillow and blanket for myself.

“Eunhyuk, your turn to shower,”I felt someone tugging my sleeve.

I turned back to see you, rubbing your eyes.

“Alright,”I smiled before pushing you towards the bed.

Without hesitation, you lay on my bed and were soon off to dreamland. I smiled at your angelic face. I went off to shower before going to the living room to check whether Soobin was alright. It was her first time staying over, after all. She reassured me that she was alright and I went off to bed after making sure that Donghae and her were comfortable in the living room with the air-conditioner. I went back to my room and was about to switch off the lights when I heard mumbles. I turned and walked towards you and noticed that you were perspiring.

“,”I cursed under my breath.

I had forgotten to switch on the air-conditioner and had actually covered you with a blanket. I hurriedly rushed to switch it on and got a small handkerchief to wipe away the perspiration formed on your forehead.

“You okay, princess?”I whispered.

You didn’t answer but drifted off to sleep without mumbling anymore. I sat near you and watched you sleep for a little while. Looking at how vulnerable you looked while you’re asleep, I was sure that for the time that I was on earth, I was going to protect you.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel