The Elephant in the Room

The Unexpected.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It only took two hours to get everything packed and placed in Chanyeol’s car. The time passed by quickly, with the sharing of stories and silences. There were so many moments where Baekhyun just wanted to blurt something out. He wanted to ask what Chanyeol was planning to do, why Kris would cheat on him, and mostly, what the kiss meant in the club. They were both ignoring the elephant in the room, and if Baekhyun had to stay longer he would have suffocated.

When the final box is placed in the car Chanyeol wipes the sweat off of his forehead and smiles. “Thanks for all of your help, Baekhyun.”

“It’s not for free,” Baekhyun jokes, making Chanyeol guffaw. Baekhyun grins, pleased to see Chanyeol laughing.

“Yah!” he yells indignantly. “Let me drive you home,” he adds after he locks the door and leaves the key under the mat. Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol pauses, looking down at the mat, covering his only method of access. Bakehyun wonders how long Chanyeol has lived here, how many of his dreams are based on a future which is now completely gone.  

Baekhyun shakes his head, “I came without asking for permission anyway. I can just walk home.” He doesn’t know if he can handle sitting in a closed area without spouting the all questions that are bothering him.

“Get in!” Chanyeol says, tone adamant, “You’re on the way.” Baekhyun opens the door and sits down before Chanyeol can repeat himself. He puts on his seatbelt and fidgets uncontrollably until Chanyeol finishes up and gets seated as well.

They drive in silence, both lost in thought. Baekhyun has gnawed all of his nails down by the time they arrive to his home. He turns around and looks at Chanyeol and sighs, “Hyung-”

“Not now Baekhyun,” Chanyeol cuts him off, eyes full of pain and confusion, begging him not to continue. Baekhyun closes his mouth, grinds his teeth angrily to stop himself from yelling. “See you in class, Mr. Park. Sorry for troubling you.” He articulates in a respectful manner.

Chanyeol looks at him with apologetic eyes, and he flinches when Baekhyun gets out and shuts the door angrily. Baekhyun is too angry to look back; he walks straight to his door and walks in without another glance. He collapses as soon as he closes the door, breathing frantically and trying to control all of his feelings. There is so much he wants to say or do but he can’t. The circumstances don’t allow it. Chanyeol is too tired and emotionally scarred to have an actual conversation with him. He probably views him as a kid, Baekhyun thinks bitterly.

Remaining like this is unhealthy, he realizes later. When his legs start to cramp from sitting on the ground for too long, and his head hurts from too much thinking. He pulls out his phone, planning to call Kyungsoo when he sees that he has five text messages.

From: Jonginnie

He found out

From: Soo

You little

From: Lay

Guess who hooked up with Yura \(O.^)/

From: Soo

hOW DARE YOU MAKE JONGIN A TOY FOR YOUR SCHEME!!1!!

From: Soo

You are dead to me

Baekhyun groans, he forgot about that. He promised Jongin he would cover him. It seems like Kyungsoo is only angry at him though, which is good news for Jongin but really bad news for himself. He sighs, before dialing his best friend, the phone rings once before a gruff voice answers, “YOU LITTLE ! I CAN’T BELIEVE I TRUSTED YOU. YOU’RE MY BEST FRIEND BUT YOU-”

“I’m sorry Soo.”

“POOR JONGIN HAD TO- ”

“Are you gonna let me talk?” Baekhyun cuts him off exasperatedly. Maybe it’s the tone of his voice or how sad Baekhyun sounds but Kyungsoo stops talking immediately.

“Baek?”

“Maybe I shouldn’t have asked Jongin and Yixing to help me get the number. I think I should’ve never gone to those stupid tutoring lessons. I should have dropped out of school a long time ago. It’s better than the pain I feel right now, Soo.” His breath hitches; and Baekhyun is too tired to hold back his tears, he lets them fall freely. “I’m so selfish and I can only think of myself in this situation, while he’s in so much pain…I keep lying to myself. Thinking that I can handle this, but that’s bull. It’s all bull.”

“Baekhyun, listen to me. You need to stop pitying yourself,” Kyungsoo says nicely but the words sting. Baekhyun wonders how he thou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter