Troublemaker

Gumiho Flashback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAgJLYV5xvA

 

“I’ve never been this into a dance, a song, or anyone- I mean anything...before.” I said to Sunny and her friends, after I showed them a portion of the I'm in Love dance. They were always bugging me to dance something for them, but today was the first time I actually did.

“You’re so good,” gushed Minra.

“Nahh, you gotta see some of the other trainees.” I said, laughing.

“Is SM going to debut another group soon?” someone else asked.

“She can’t tell you, and she don’t know,” said Sunny, pushing me away to English class.

We walked in and sat in our seats as Teacher Martina was passing out papers.

The whole week, I had found myself humming the same song and dancing the same moves in the hallways. I mean, I even performed a section of it to Sunny and her friends when they asked me.

"Your memory is getting better." My thoughts are interrupted by Teacher Martina, as she hands back my test. My first 100% on an English test.

It really is true, I suddenly realize. I just got all my verbs right. I knew all the words of the lyrics to We’re in Love. Simon had laughed when he heard me muttering some of the lines in class the other day. Apparently they make no sense at all, but I have them memorized.

And it’s only the demo song.

I could not wait to hear the real version with Tao rapping...

 

     “And the real lyrics...Ooh, Ooh...wo jiang luo zhe ge shi jie de li you...Jian jian jian, yue lai yue yuan..” Tao muttered. 

     "Huh?" I asked.

     "Oh, Nothing," he shook his head, smiling.

 

“Are you okay?” asked Sunny from behind me. I turned around.

“Yeah, why?”

You’re just like…super hyper today, when usually you’re always sleeping. Just now you were sort of jumping up and down in your seat.”

Was I? “Oh, I’m just excited…for dance practice!!”

Sunny stared. “Since when were you excited for a daily, five-hour dance torture,” she mumbled.

I laugh and turn around to see my test again. Maybe my memory is getting better? I hadn't had intense flashbacks in a while too... The doctor said did say time was the most important factor. Not only had I gotten 30 English verbs correct, as well as easily memorizing an English song, but also EXO’s names. I had them all down. 

By now, I knew all of their real and stage names.

Or names, should I say, for Kris’s case- as well as Wu Fan, Kevin Li and Li Jiaheng’s case.

Maybe I should actually start to remember the names of the other trainees that I train with. Since…some of them I’ve known for two years and I still refer to them as ‘hey, you.’ 

“Class, we are going to watch the film Finding Nemo tomorrow.” Teacher Simon announced to the class. “With. Out. Subs.” He said grinning. The class groaned. The bell rang. The class cheered and began to leave.

Sunny grabbed my arm, “Hey, do you want to go with me and Minra to eat-“

“No, I really can’t, mianhae! I have to go practice!” I say and rush out.

Sunny was left standing there in surprise. “She really does want to go that dance torture.” I hear her say.

I raced to the bus and got off, then ran all the way to my dorm.

I’ll clean everything up then find Tao and then-

The room was spotless as well as no Hye In. That’s weird. I shrug and quickly change into my practice clothes before running to the dance room hallway. I walk by the small dance rooms until I get to the fourth one.

I lean in and put my ear against the door and I hear I'm in Love playing inside, softly. I smile. Tao’s already practicing. I stand up and find myself smoothing my hair before opening the door.

“Hey, are we ready to go through-“

I stop mid-sentence to find Tao dancing the chorus to I'm in Love.

 

In front of Hye In.

 

What is she doing here…

“I-I thought you said other trainees can’t hear this song…”

Hye In rolled her eyes. “I’m not part of the ‘other trainees.’ Trust me; I’ve heard this song before both of you.”

Tao nodded. “Don’t worry Miho, I’m just getting feedback from her.”

I wanted to roll my eyes. Why do you need feedback from someone not in our group, when you have me? I want to say.

“Oh, okay…” I say instead.

“So, why don’t you two perform it for me?” Hye In asked, smiling.

“Sure!” exclaimed Tao. Hye In walked over to turn on the music.

I sigh and get into position for our dance. I hadn't even stretched yet...just yesterday Hye In freaked out about me and Sammie not stretching enough.

I could feel Hye In's eyes watching my every move. This was probably only the fifth straight-out run through we had, so Tao and I weren't matched up perfectly. And since I had done no stretching or warmups, my wushu turns were a bit stiff. The very end of the song was the only part that where we coordinated together well, since we had spent all of yesterday on it. It was my favorite part of the dance that got me excited everytime.

Tao did a la seconde turn while I cartwheeled in the air. When we got back into a standing positions, Tao and I would be facing each other, our noses almost touching. It was for about one second, but that moment was always so long as we stared into each other.

The silence before the long note was our cue for Tao to lift me up into the air, where I propelled my body as it spun through time.

In my heeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttttttttttt

And after I landed, Tao and I went back to our in synchronal dance movements 'till the end of the song.

Every Every Everyday, it's a freaking fashion show~

We stood in our ending poses, facing outward with one hand over our faces and the other other towards each other.

Hye In stopped the repeating music and did a slow clap.

“Hmm, it’s pretty good. Oh Tao, that was a beautiful la seconde, did Kai teach you that? You should let me teach you next time. Your spinny things in the air were also done flawlessly.”

Spinny things in the air. At least say aerial flips and turns.

Hye In turned to me. “And, Miho.”

I brace myself. Of course she’s gonna praise Tao and criticize me. I get ready for whatever she’s about to say.

“I think you need to learn from me.” She walked up and shoved me aside, placing her hands on Tao. “Start the music for us, please.”

I blinked. I wasn’t ready for that. I sigh and walk back to the CD player to press play. Tao and Hye In began to dance.

 

Ok, I know Hye In is a good dancer as well as a fast learner and all, but there’s no way she could know all my dance moves just by watching me once.

That meant Tao had taught our dance to her before. Our dance.

And what was worse was that she was taking Tao’s choreography and adding her own… ‘flair.’

That would be unnecessarily rubbing her hands over Tao’s body whenever she could. And when the Wushu parts came, she couldn’t do them so she just ended up doing her precious la secondes. Did I mention that she had on the skimpiest practice clothes ever.

And I was worried about dancing with my school uniform.

I felt myself getting mad. This was our song, our dance. What was she doing incorporating her in it and dancing it like that.

Now came the part where Tao and I were supposed to meet each other and Tao was supposed to throw me in the air. Watching Hye In attempting it with Tao was disturbing. Did Hye In mix the dance with Troublemaker or what?

The music suddenly stopped.

Hye In whipped around and glared. “What the hell Miho! How can you ruin-”    Her eyes went wide when she saw Greg standing in front of the CD player, hands crossed.

“Hye In, you’re not supposed to be in here right now. You’re supposed to be practicing with Kai and D.O.”

“I know, I’m just helping them! Miho doesn’t know how to dance properly-“

“You need to leave. You should not be interrupting their dancing nor listening to this song. I specifically wanted ONLY Tao and Miho to perform to this song. You and the other trainees are not allowed to hear it.” He looked down at her outfit. "Please also remember to follow the dress code better, Eun Hye In. This is the third time this month. Do we need to set out a uniform just for you?"

"No." Hye In said. She mumbled something else under her breath, before finally sauntering out the room.

Greg didn’t leave.

“Tao, don’t do that again. Work only with Miho. You two are supposed to be putting your own souls into your dance movements, and only yours. Don’t use anyone else’s,” he said sternly.

“Neh. I’m sorry,” said Tao. Greg sighed and left the room, leaving Tao and me alone.