With Yeonhee

These Exotic Dreamers


Eating a flavorful lunch with Yeonhee in a far yet visible bench by the fields, you found yourself actually listening to what she had to say. *She promised it wasn’t nonsense.*

 

You were eating peacefully, listening to her small yet mellow voice with your legs stretched on the long bench, your back against your bag, and your lunchbox on your lap. While she was there, in front of your own eyes, sitting properly with her legs dangling down, ankles crossed, glancing and smiling at you from time to time, eating her very own lunch too. (Oh, if you’re wondering, her lunch is twice as big as yours. You won’t ask why, right?)

 

“From what I heard… they were exceptionally talented males. Not only were their looks and sense of style extra appealing, they had hidden talents that they secretly practice once in a while. And they were...really good at it. Though none of them will admit it back then...and maybe even now that they are split. So the start of that group-end was: three of that group was beginning to be cold and unheard of… then the remaining three started being opposite of their acts. Naughty and too cheerful, as what some students say. Then they had a huge fight over this case. T-that’s why… they split…and that friendship they had since middle school was vanished when they started high school. Now there’s who we call ulzzangs and nuisances. Completely different people. They used to be friends that can’t be separated. Now…”

 

She sighed as if that case was her problem. “I wonder when they’ll be back as one again. I’d like to see them get together too like what others, years ago, had seen. They’re actually quite popular around Seoul.” She looked at you, pouting. “It has been two years, Hye Mi-ssi. It’s probably impossible to have them back.” She informed and you nodded just to give her a response. *I don’t freaking care, if you haven't realized.*

 

True enough, everything she had discussed for the past twenty three minutes somewhat, interested you, in some irritating way. *And why is that?*

 

Closing your lunchbox, you finally responded to her. (Because all you did was raised an eyebrow, trying not to be amused or nod, trying to understand.) “So… how’d you know all of these?” She looked at you, the cutest puzzlement was written on her face. “I mean, you’re new here.” You continued.

 

She frowned. Not the usual a positive beamy-girl would do. “Ohh…m-my… sis-sister…told me all of those. But the other infos and news I heard from the other classmates.” You again lifted an annoyed eyebrow at her. *Why is she stuttering?* You observed her lips, it was trembling and she was looking out-of-this-world as the wind bitterly hit her.

 

“Lee Yeonhee.” You coldly called her full name. She shut her eyes tightly for a second then turned to you with a weak smile. You knew something was going on with ‘her sister’. *Why? Is her sister mean? Wait no—that’s not the case. Who is her sister? How did her sister know that story?* “Yah, Yeonhee.”

 

“Mianhae…I… I got lost in t-thoughts.” She forced a low chuckle and fixed her things. You did so too.

 

After drinking your bottled water and forcing your things inside your bag, you glanced at her again as she caressed an old-looking, big, brown thing around her right thumb. Her eyes appeared lost and deadly unforgiving. Her face went emotionally distracted and her shoulders slumped down in anguish.

 

She turned deathly quiet and kind of pale.

 

You brought your legs back down, your feet touching the dry grass as you scooted near her. She looked at you with rounded eyes, surprised with your sudden action. You grabbed the thumb (+with attached hand of course, or the other way) she was putting so much emotions awhile ago.

 

 

You tilted your head to study the ancient-looking ring. Its style wasn’t your type of stuff. “What the—what is this?” You shifted your gaze to her eyes. She smiled, knowing that some part of you was interested in that ring. “It’s my sister’s.” She again flashed an uneasy smile and you slowly brought her hand down, back to her lap. “And…?” “This…this was… the last thing she gave to me and my brother before…” She tried to hold back something and you realized it was water from her eyes.

 

“Before she died.” She finally said.

 

Your eyes widened in alarm. *Her sister’s dead?* “You’re sister’s gone?” You tried to ask as gentle as you can. She slowly nodded. “She was a year younger than me and she went to the same school with those six guys since middle school. They weren’t classmates, of course. While… Kiseop oppa and I went to a different school. A-and t-that…was a very big mistake. Us, not being by her side…was such a horrible mistake.”

 

Tears were threatening to roll down her chubby cheeks and you suspected it minutes ago.

 

Gradually, you patted her back while looking away. She quietly cried, influenced by your touch. Even though you didn’t partly express sympathy, you felt the unbearable pain echoing for her silent sobs and unspoken words. I mean, c’mon: imagine a sibling dear to you died, and a part of that was to be blamed by you. (Or that’s what you had understood since she didn’t expose the full happenings.)

 

“Actually…she was such a huge fan of them that she so wanted to see them debut after high school…but sadly she didn’t make it.” She again stared at the non-living thing around her thumb while you continued to not look at her. “Me and Kiseop oppa would often about her imaginations because she was such a fangirl of idols-not-yet. And—”

 

She gasped and covered with her right hand, exposing the strangely beautiful ring adorning her thumb. You furrowed your eyebrows at her as you turned your head to look at her to stopped talking.

 

She widened her eyes at you. “S-sorry for talking too much... I-I didn’t mean to blabber—” “No. Go on.” She removed her hand and looked at you with hope. “Really? You, allow me?”  You rolled your eyes before answering her stupid question. *Didn’t I already say?* “YES. Go on.”

 

She slightly grinned. “So yeah… she was a fan of them. A proud and loud fan. Even though they weren’t idols… she really liked watching Luhan oppa and Xiumin oppa play soccer… Lay oppa and Chen oppa practice moves and notes in a corner of their room she’d love to pass by. She even stalks Tao oppa and Kris op—” “STOP SAYING THAT HONORIFIC FOR AN OLDER BROTHER TO THEM, MY GOODNESS!” You blurted out loud. *Geez. It irks me so much. They probably don’t deserve your honorifics.*

 

“J-jeosunghamnida! A-arasso.”

 

Her stuttering: that meant she’s obedient to you. *Good girl. Ugh. Why do I remember Tao with that line?*

 

  


 

“What the hell!?” You glared daggers at Yeonhee as you entered a room where you spotted the six very familiar guys having their lunch. And some male back-up dancers from sections fourteen and fifteen as well. “W-what?” She looked at you in horror and wondered what she did to make you look at her like that. *Does she despise Exo-N and Exo-U?*

 

Xiumin shortly glanced at you then back to his food in the couch with s. “Oho~ 下午好 meimei—”

 “HyeMi noonaaa~ Wait no, you’re older than me. Jiejie—”

 “Shut up! She’ll destroy you.” Luhan snapped.

 “If she’ll give you a piece of her concern, that’s if.” Chen grumbled.

 

Meanwhile, all others looked at you (except for Xiumin) and you met eyes with Lay. His face was hit with the strong lights and behind him was some tall guy: who also turned his head to get a better view of you. *What is going on here?*

 

 

You scanned the place and noticed it was where the chosen students practiced. Or maybe where the nuisances and ulzzangs do. “Why? Why did you bring me here?” You calmly asked, looking at her again with a step forward, causing her to take a step back, afraid.

 

Three stood up and tried fixed the situation with you looking like you were about to choke her to half-death. (Guess who didn’t stand up for food?) But Chen swiftly went out instead, probably to get something. Lay and Kris tried to talk to you but you just kept on fixing your gaze at all the trembling actions of Yeonhee.

 

“Look, Hye Mi. You’re scaring her.” Lay said, poking your shoulders once in awhile but you just shrugged it off. *THEN LET HER SHAKE!*

 

When Yeonhee couldn’t handle it anymore, she bowed the lowest she can and ran for her precious life. *Sorry Hyemi-ssi. I just wanted to see if you can fix those guys! And sadly, there’s no sign of it. Ah, what am I going to do with my promise to my sister??* She sadly thought while approaching the lockers.

 

You rolled your eyes and curled your fists into a small ball, looking down at your school shoes. *GAH! YOU CHUBBY—AAAHH! I ASKED YOU TO TAKE ME TO A NICE, RELAXING SPOT IN THIS VAST SCHOOL AND THIS—*

 

“Hye Mi.” That was Chen’s voice. You looked up at him. “You’re blocking the way. Why are you standing in the door?” He directly stated the obvious. *Oh. Shoot. That. Was. Beyond. Shameful. I. Shall. Slaughter. You. Soon. Singer, high-pitched guy.*

 

Lay sat back down when he realized you weren’t minding him. *I hate the eoljjangs.* He thought.

 

He shortly smiled and you took glum steps back instead of forwarding, which kind of surprised the them. Chen smoothly went in and gave Kris something. Your eyes immediately turned to him starting to eat it.

 

 

“What?” Chen asked you all of a sudden and you stopped staring at Kris’ food. You looked away, slightly irritated and mostly embarrassed. *Why am I even staying here for—*

 

You stopped getting angry in thoughts when the cold treat appeared before your eyes. Your eyes almost widened as you looked at Kris handing his ice cream to you. (Well, yeah in your face to interrupt your thoughts.) He almost declared he saw your eyes twinkle.

 

“Eat it before it melts.” He simply said, with the usual, laid-back face he has almost every single emotionless day he lived. “You’re kidding. That almost touched your mouth if you didn’t know.” You casually rolled your eyes and took short steps as you went outside. “B-but it’s cookies and cream...ugh. Forget it.”

 

Kris frowned. *Sheesh. Is it that gross? I thought her love for ice cream was deep and—*

 

You speedily went back and grabbed the ice cream in his beautiful hands. The two of them blinked at you who started to eat it and started walking outside, slowly. A small smile formed on their mouths. *Can’t resist it then?* Chen thought, now widely smiling. The other four started expressing their wonderment on what some things could actually do to people. Weakness, they call it. Kris grinned at you lovingly.

 

*I wonder if aegyo works on her too?* Xiumin, Tao and Luhan asked in themselves. *Ew. Her? No.* Luhan rolled his eyes. But Xiumin and Tao were exchanging knowing glances and hi-fived. No one clearly knew but Xiumin was awesome at being a baozi. That, Luhan said. (two years ago) *No one denies my aegyo. Not even duizhang-er, before.* Tao smugly thought.

 

“That girl…” Kris sighed in amusement. “Is like an abstract painting.” Kris quizzically looked at him. “What do you mean?” Everyone also looked at the second youngest, the maknae of the ulzzangs. “Even though you can’t understand her, she’s beautiful.” They all nodded.

 

“I can agree.” Lay and Xiumin grunted.

 

From inside that room, you could feel your cheeks heating up (blushing, duh) as you heard what Chen said and how the others could be nodding at any moment. *Maybe not Kris or Luhan. Eh.* Gobbling down the ice cream, you felt cool again then made your way to the lockers. “Ah~ that feeling from cookies and cream...” You murmured several kawaii words.

 

Not even caring about the whole Kris-almost-ate-it case. *Yeonhee, don't show an apologetical smile to me. I will rip it off. But this ice cream is heaven. Hmm.*

 



 

下午好 - Xia Wu hao (Good afternoon.)

A/N: The ones who didn't stand up was the deer, the panda and baozi.
/juz sayin. thanks for reading~ leave your comments.  ^^