Ahjumma

These Exotic Dreamers

 

Your eyes shot wide open as you heard Nami’s whispers. “Hunniieee!! Hyemi unnieeee, hummah iss halreahddyy down! Hwaaaiting for youhh~” You looked at her, taken aback then the still and quiet alarm clock. It was an hour before classes start but hearing that your Ahjumma is waiting for you sounds like a lot…of time.

Like, a lot.

“MWOH?” You sat straight and rubbed your eyes. She gave you your towel as she showed a childish pout. “She said a little talk with you would be nice.”

*T-talk? SMALL? THE TALK IS DEADLY, Song Hyemi! The last time you talked, it was horribly lengthy!* You stood up and saw her preparing your uniform already. Of course, she’s your almost-everyday-helper.

“May I ask why?” You asked properly.

“Wae? *whispers* WAE? Is it wrong, unnie?” Her pout turns more obvious as she look at you with suspicion.

You shook your head lazily. *YES MY THROAT WILL BE DEHYDRATED YOU CLUELESS KID!* But you smiled anyway, almost fake to be exact. “Ani, it’s nothing. Go.”

After taking a quick, peach-scented bath, you put on the school uniform and groomed yourself as suitable as you can. You wanted to appear presentable for your second family, not for the school guys or any popular queen.

You dried your hair for a few minutes and let it down naturally, brown, not that smooth nor that frizzy and peachy. You draw in the familiar peach scent. *I smell like Mom.*

As usual, you never wore any flashy, attention-grabbing accessory than an unobvious expensive silver watch and the silver bow necklace your father gave you on your twelfth birthday. It sure would still fit, but it’s not that long anymore to hang lower than your neck. It was just there, gently hugging your neck: as if that was your father who’d love squeezing you in his arms.

Putting on your socks, your attention shifted on an enormous Exo-K poster neatly pasted on your wall, beside your bed. *How did she...?*

 

“Seriously, Kim Nami? I look like an obsessed fan.” But you chuckled anyway. *Oh...Sehoon? He's really handsome. Everyone just looks fine and good-looking actually.*

Shoes. Mirror. Comb. Backpack then back to mirror. *You can do it. Don’t mind, don’t care. Arraji? ARASSO.*Before you could get out of the neat room you own, a picture was in front of your eyes, again.

 

 

You rolled your eyes and stared at Chanyeol. *You guys are freakinggggg creepy, like really? THE WALL? THEN THE DOOR?*

You took light footsteps as you trail down the staircase, almost tripping on the last step. Good thing your Ahjussi passed by, you gripping on his’ shoulders. “Oh. Good morning, Hye Mi-ah!” He happily chirped.

You bowed as you stepped down. “Good morning Ahjussi.” He lightly patted your head and led you to the dining table. Your Ahjumma was there. Busy with her ledger, calculator and iPhone. “Good morning, Ahjumma. Wel… come back.” You tightly smiled.

She looked up and saw you. “Woah~ You’ve grown so much. Hye Mi?” “Nde.” You politely bowed. *Looks like Ahjumma has changed.*

She stood up and smoothly grabbed your hand, seating you near her. “So… how’s the house? You like your bedroom?” She asks in her usual, old-sounding voice as she also sits down. Eyes still on you.

You faked a short giggle. “Ah, it’s really big…and remarkably beautiful.” You truthfully admitted but it sounded like you’ve exaggerated things.

She grinned. “Jinja?” You nodded and started eating the sweet sugar bread and pancakes in front of you. “What about school? Do you like Soo Man’s school?”

“Of course he’d like Hyung’s school!” Ahjussi was yelling from the kitchen.

You looked down before you could start a lie. “First day was fine, Ahjumma…” She nodded eagerly for you to go on. “…the school looks really exclusive so Thank You so much for taking care of me.”

You were surprised to see her expose a wide smile. *Is this the effect of success? So much positive energy?* She studied your uniform for a while. “The systems are different from America, aren’t they?”

“Nde. Once you’re in a section, classes are all held there. There’s no navigating around, except for special/arts classes like dancing or fusions with other rooms.” You drank a sip of hot milk. *Unfortunately…but it’s good since I get to escape those six.*

She continued with her business doings. “Do you… already know how to make your way around? Riding the bus and all?”

“Of course. I still remember everything in Korea …but not that clearly. I also thank Nami who showed me around.” You glanced at your cousin who kissed her mother’s cheeks. *My saliva will be dried up from all these sentences. Why do I have to talk…so much?*

“Nami-ah, is Unnie good?” She questioned your ever-childish cousin. *Cool, she’s referring to me. And I know I’m not a good unnie so—*

“NDE!!! VERY IDEAL UNNIE SHE IS UMMA!!!”  She praised and at the same time, gazed at you admiringly. “I wanna be like her when I grow up, Umma!” She continued, her mother’s eyes broaden a bit. *Isn’t Hye Mi a black sheep?*

You almost choked on your creamy and angel-white milk. You looked at her in puzzlement. *Stop lying! You’re so unbelievable, babo!*

“Ah, really?” Ahjumma glanced at you then Ahjussi who sat himself down. She finally spoke. “She is a good role model?” You bit your tongue and hoped for the best, well, even if it’s false.

“SUPER!” She sipped on her milk before she spat again. *Her parents probably trust her so much since she's the apple of their eyes.

She smiled so brightly and kept up. “She, in fact is strong, certainly beautiful, fashionably neat and organized! She is also a good listener and has an open mind! Right, appa?” Her father nodded willingly.

Kim Yongbae and Kim Miyoung eyed you. Being the second parents they are.

Ahjumma with an encouraging nod that looked like ‘really-Hye-mi?’. “Wow. Then you must really be taking charge of your actions in front of your young cousin, gurae?” While Ahjussi has his usual grin on. “Of course! That’s our Hye Mi-ah!”

You couldn’t help but blush. *This family is fanatical, okay?* But deep, inside you were highly energized. Aside from your favorite milk, all their smiles appeared so genuine and candid. “I-I guess so. But really, it’s not something to crow about.”