CHAPTER 48 – I Won’t Give Up

Follow Your Heart

Gerald decided to take the flight going to Cebu t around one in the afternoon. He didn’t even eat breakfast nor lunch. What’s important to him right now is to win Kim back. He loves her so much and he can’t live without her.

At the airplane…

“Hello te Kams?”

“Ge..”

“Ate, I know na nandiyan si Kim. Please help me ate. Papunta na ako sa Cebu ngayon. I have to win her back.”

“I’m sorry Ge, pero ayaw ka pa niyang harapin for now… Maybe you give her some time to think things out. Don’t worry, she’s fine here…. Tell me kapag nandito ka na sa Cebu. I’ll check you in sa hotel namin. Just don’t tell her that I’m helping you. Ge, I know you’re a good guy and you don’t deserve this….. Don’t worry, hindi rin ito mgtatagal.”

“Sana nga ate… Sana nga…”

When he arrived at Cebu, he immediately went to WC hotel. Doon muna siya magsstay until Kim’s ready to face him.

“Ge… What’s your plan?”

“Ate.. Gusto ko sanang magsimula ulit kami sa umpisa… Ate, noong nagka amnesia si Kim, hindi ako sumuko. We started from the beginning and for now, I think it’s the best thing to do over and over again.”

“So anong gagawin mo?”

“Liligawan ko ulit siya, kung kinakailangan…… Life is short… Hindi ako dapat magsayang ng oras… Marami nang nasayang na oras sa amin before…. I don’t think kakayanin kong maghintay. Kaya gagawin ko lahat ngayon…”

Lakam smiled “Hayy… Sana magising na tong si Kimberly! Thanks Ge.. Thanks for loving my sister. Kakaiba ka…”

“You shouldn’t thank me…” Gerald smiled

 

***************************************************************

Sa loob ng almost four long weeks or let’s say a month, Gerald managed to hide himself from Kim. He’s always following her everywhere she goes. Para na nga siyang stalker. He’d sometimes pay someone just to make an eye on Kim to make sure she’s safe and how’s life treating her.

For four weeks, Kim’s partly managing their hotel in Cebu. She would often go to an orphanage to visit abandoned children. It is one of her ways to show her love for her daughter. “Ibubuhos ko sa sarili ko at sa mga bata ang lahat ng pagmamahal ko sa anak ko” she always tells herself.

She would sometimes hear the children talking about “Kuya Pogi” who gives them gifts and other materials they need for everyday living. She didn’t know that it was Gerald who secretly gives them those presents.

Gerald can see that Kim is really trying to move on. She’s trying to make herself happy for the sake of her daughter.

One Saturday night….

“Kimmy… May nagpapabigay sa yo.” Twinkle handed her a boquet of flowers

“Ha? Eh kanino naman manggagaling to? Gabing gabi na ah… May nagdedeliver pa rin ng packages?” Kim confusedly asked

“Hindi ko alam eh… Nakita lang daw yan ni manang sa labas ng front door natin. Ewan ko nga kung pano napunta yan sa front door eh ang layo kaya nun sa main gate natin..” Twinkle responded…. “Eh kanino ba galing yan?”

“Hindi ko alam eh…. Ang nakalagay lang “To Kim, I wish you happiness…””

“Baduy ahh.. Pero in fairness, nakakakilig siya.. Grabe naman! Hindi ba alam ng mga people here na may asawa ka na? At hindi ka na pwedeng ligawan..” Twinkle blurted

“Ate…”

“Ayy, sorry naman… Kaw kasi! Hayy nako… Sana nga happy ka… Do you think etong life na to ang magpapasaya sa yo? I mean, oo.. masarap tumulong sa mga batang nangangailangan pero I don’t think na yun talaga ang magpapaligaya sa puso mo…”

“Ate.. ikaw yata yung baduy eh!” Kim blurted

“Ayy gosh! Nahahawa na ata ako sa mga suitors mo… Hayy,, diyan ka na nga… Magbebeauty rest na ko. Goodnight! Mwah” she gave her a peck on her cheeks.

“Goodnight!”

Kim went straight to her room as well. She’s thinking kung kanino talaga galing yung flowers.

“I wish you happiness? I wish you happiness? Hayy… Sana nga masaya ako ngayon. I’m trying my best to enjoy life para sa anak ko. Pero bakit parang hindi naman talaga ako masaya?”

Suddenly, she heard someone singing…

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
There's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

 

The voice sounds very familiar to her. He’s singing shakily. He seemed crying and the guitar accompaniment seemed to be shaky too. She felt that he’s in deep pain as she tried to listen to the song.


I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up

 

The voice she hears seems to be coming closer as she hear it getting louder.

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

 

She tried to hold her thoughts. “No…. It can’t be him….. It’s just.. Ughhh…. No no…. It’s not him.” She tells herself… But, she can’t be wrong… How can she be wrong? That voice is very familiar with her… That was the voice her heart only listens to.


'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up

 

She tried to rise from her bed and went closer to her window. She slightly opened it to somewhat search for the one singing. She peeked her head out of the window. And there.,… She finally saw the man she loved. Her heart sank as she saw him in deep pain. She stared deep in his eyes…. He was crying. His eyes seemed to be speaking  it’s own feelings for her. He was down there holding his guitar……………….………………….…. “Gerald?” she whispered herself.

 

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not
And who I am

 

She was taken aback and she pulled herself from the window. She rested her back on the wall as if she was hiding from him. She didn’t realize that tears are forming on her eyes again. Her heart tells her how she missed him so much. Her heart wants her to go out, hug him tight and kiss him hard… But, her mind’s controlling her desire. Her pride fights her. After all he did, she can’t just speak out and tell him she has forgiven him and ready to start life with him. Her mind’s clouded with anger and hatred for him.

 

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up
Still looking up.

 

I won't give up on us                                                                                                                                                                        God knows I'm tough enough
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it

 

Gerald stood near her window. Just enough to let her hear more from him. He knows she’s still there listening to him.

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up