CHAPTER 44 - "I'm Sorry, I Love You"

Follow Your Heart

Gerald turned to the hospital chapel.

He hasn’t eaten since Kim’s confinement. He seemed like a zombie on his physical appearance. Had swollen eyes, narrow eye bags, stuble on his chin. He hasn’t even changed from his office attire. He walked briskly towards the aisle.

He again started to cry as he approach the altar. As tears are flowing from his eyes he slumped on the floor and cried even harder.

His right hand was on his mouth to somewhat control his emotion while he cries. But he can’t. He can’t just stop what he feels right now. He can’t seem to hide his feelings in front of HIM.

Bakit nangyayari sa amin to? Bakit? Sana ako na lang ang binigyan mo ng matinding sakit. Kakayanin ko pa. What’s your plan for us? Why do you have to challenge me this way? Wh---yyyyy???

He cried even harder.

God! What am I to do??? You know Im not a bad person to let any of them die………………… But I love my wife very much.I love her more than my life. I can’t imagine life without her.

He was on all fours with his head bent down facing the floor.

And You know that I love our daughter too…………. She is my very own and she’s the product of me and her mom’s deep love for each other.  I love her as much as I love her mom…….

I know its unfair for our little angel to not be able to experience and live life. And Lord, I entrust her to you.I know she’ll be happy to see her mom and dad together. Please let her know that I didn’t want this to happen to her.

On his knees, he walked towards HIM. He empraced His feet and continued to cry.

I know that after this, my wife would despise me for what I did. Just please Lord, please let her understand that Im doing this for her and for our family. Im not selfish but I just can’t see Kim in deep pain. Lord, kayo na po ang bahala sa mag-ina ko. Kung pwede po, iligtas niyo sila pareho and I’ll be very thankful. Save the both of them and I’ll offer my life to YOU.

That was how Pauline and Neil found him.

“Ge…” Pauline approached him and tapped his shoulder

He turned around to face them. His eyes are swollen. Magang maga na sa kakaiyak niya. It was the first time Neil saw him like that. They were frends since their childhood years and he felt sorry for what’s happening to his friend right now.

“Tita Vangie left. Kukuha lang daw siya ng damit mo and she’ll prepare food.” Neil said

Gerald just nodded.

“Ge……………… Anong desisyon mo?” Pauline asked

(long silence)

“You know that I love Kim more than anything in this world…. I can’t lose her” He said it softly

Pauline nodded and tears were forming on her lids. “Nandito lang kami Ge. Kahit anong mangyari”

 

**************************************************************************

Kim was sound asleep still with oxygen on her to help her breathe properly. She wasn’t aware that she’s being transferred to the operating room. The anesthesiologist injected anesthesia on her to make her unconscious of the operation.

She woke up on top of the hill, stood up and was mesmerized by the beauty of the place. She’s never seen a place like this. It looks like a paradise surrounded with different flowers and butterflies.

She saw a little girl wearing a very nice pink dress. She’s smiling and was staring at her. The little girl turned around and walked towards the garden of butterflies. Kim followed the little girl’s direction.

The little girl seemed to be happy playing with the butterflies. Kim smiled on her actions. She came closer.

“Hi baby” Kim said

“Mommy! Look! The butterflies are tickling me!” the little girl laughed heartily. Her laugh was just like her mom’s.

The little girl’s angelic face contains Kim’s eyes and lips. She had brown eyes and hair just like her dad’s, and she looks very very pretty just like her mom. In short, she was a product of a perfect combination. Every feature of her physical appearance was made really perfect. Mamomroblema for sure ang daddy niya sa mga boys when this girl grows up.

“Baby come here! Basang basa ka na ng pawis!” Kim approached her little angel.

While Kim’s applying powder and putting towel on the little girl’s back, the little girl turned around and handed a dozen of roses in different colors.

“I love you mommy…. And daddy loves you so much too”

“Awww… How sweet of you… I love you too baby. And I love your daddy so much too. Thank you for these flowers baby.”

“Mommy,” she held Kim’s cheeks

“Yes baby?”

“Mommy, Im going now with my friend. He’s waiting for me there.” She pointed the garden of flowers

“Alright. Just be careful okay?”

***************************************************************

Kim opened her eyes and saw Gerald staring at her, holding both her hands.

“Honey, I saw our daughter. She looks very pretty. She had my eyes and lips, she your brown eyes and hair, in short, she looks just perfect. For sure mahihirapan ka niyan sa mga boys when our daughter grows up.”

Gerald was listening at her intently, tears are forming on his eyes.

“Im sorry” he whispered…. “Im sorry that I love you so much. Mahal na mahal kita.” He cied

Kim was confused and starting to realize what he was talking about. Tears are falling on her fae as well as she caressed her tummy.

She felt it empty. She felt the emptiness inside her. Her expression was unimaginable. She then slowly removed her hands on Gerald’s grip.

“What did you do to my baby???!!!!!!!!!” She cried at him, mad.

Gerald cried even harder

“Pinatay mo ang anak natin!!!!!!!!!” She slapped him hard and was punching his chest “Pinatay mo ang anak natin!!!!!!!”

“Bakit mo nagawa sa kin to??? Bakit kailangan mong gawin sa anak natin to!?!!! Nasaan ang konsesnsya mo??? Nasaan???!!!” Kim was fuming mad at him.

“I didn’t kill  her. I was trying to save your life.” Gerald tried to respond as softly as he can.

“You didn’t save my life!................ You ruined my life!!!!!!” she said still mad and crying hard.

Gerald was controlling his emotions. He was trying hard to explain things to Kim as calm as he can so as not to shout at her.

“As much as I wanted to save her, nangingibabaw pa rin ang pagmamahal ko sa yo. I’m left with no choice! Sobrang mahal na mahal kita and I can’t afford to lose you. Im sorry…. Im sorry kasi hindi ko kayang mawala ka sa buhay ko.” The tears are falling non stop on his face. He was deeply torn inside.

“Sa ginawa mo, mas pipiliin kong mamatay na lang!!! Para saan pa ang buhay ko kung wala na ang buhay na dinadala ko???!!!”

His tears continued to fall. He stood up and went near her. He was trying to hug her but she pushed him back.

“Kim….. She didn’t die in vain. She left us for you to live. Her life’s not worthless kasi kapalit nun ang buhay mo. Your precious life… Para mas marami ka pang magawa at para maging masaya ka pa ng matagal…”

“Get out.” Kim said coldly

“Kim..”

“GET OUT!!!” she yelled.  “I never want to see your face again!!! Never!!!”

Gerald was crying so hard when he exited the room. He’s giving the space Kim needs. He knows that someday, her heart would heal.