chap07

Killing Game

 

[NOBODY’S POV]

Hoya opened the door of their house and walked in. Dongwoo followed closely behind before closing the door back. Immediately, he felt two hands closed around his waist from behind and when he turned, his lips met with Hoya’s. Dongwoo smiled. He pushed Hoya away softly.

“Stop. Let’s get the things first or we’ll be late.”

“Sheesh,” Hoya said but began walking to their secret workshop nevertheless. He was about to punch in the number when he realized the door was slightly opened. He turned to Dongwoo but the older noticed it too. They had left the place locked before they left it. And no one can open the door without the security numbers that only they both know.

Dongwoo fished out his gun while Hoya pulled the small knife from his pocket. With the end of his shoe, Hoya pushed the door and looked around before reached for the light switch at the wall. Bright light illuminated the place, exposing them to the place. Hoya’s eyes widened in shock.

There was no one but the place was a trash with files, papers and documents all over the place and their laptops shattered into pieces. The boards on the wall where they pinned all the information were torn with scratch marks probably made by knives. Red paints were visible on the ceiling, floor and walls. They were warnings.

“Damn!” Dongwoo cursed and quickly went to the corner of the room, to a big plastic plant he and Hoya bought before. He tilted and pushed a switch under the vase and at another corner of the room, the walls opened to a secret room. Dongwoo ran in and came out a few seconds later.

“Nothing’s missing. They were searching for something, probably your findings,” Dongwoo said.

“Who? I mean the agency gave us the information; they’re really stupid if they were thinking of taking it back. Do you think there are other sides, besides us and the agency? And Sungyeol. Why did the agency let L go and take Sungyeol? And left him alive too.”

“Are you saying there are other people on us besides the agency?”

“Yes. But what do they want? What do we have that they want?” Hoya gave Dongwoo a significant look. Dongwoo stared at the surroundings before looking back at Hoya.

“What did your sister do again?”

“Are you suspecting my sister?” Hoya raised a brow.

Dongwoo let out a sigh. “I’m not. I just think it could be something to do with her. Don’t you trust me? Well, she was killed, right? And maybe she died protecting something. Something that mustn’t fall to the wrong hands. An information.”

Hoya’s eyes told Dongwoo that he was sorry. “She’s a... accountant. She had a normal life, Heyi didn’t even know what I do for a living. She gave me money because she thought I was unemployed. After our parents died when I was 12, Heyi had been supporting our life. That’s all.”

“What kind of accountant? Who did she work for?”

“I don’t know.” Hoya answered slowly. “Never really thought of it.”

Dongwoo nodded. He went into the room again and came back with some weapons in his arms. He organized them carefully on the table in the living room and Hoya helped him after some time.

-- --

[Myungsoo’s POV]

I saw the truck entering our lawn before turning to the back of the house. I walked to the kitchen and opened the translucent sliding door out to see Dongwoo hyung and Hoya hyung pulling big wooden boxes from the back of the truck to the ground.

“Just in time,” I said and they both groaned. I laughed before helping them to take the boxes to the workshop hidden behind the trees at the back. The workshop was separated from the rest of the house but it had the highest security. It was a place where we put Dongwoo hyung’s weapons, Sunggyu hyung’s techs and some papers that were important and top secret. Woohyun hyung had built the place even before we moved in the house.

He said he needed it to put his things so his family wouldn’t find it when he was a teenager. That was until his family died in the fire, leaving him alone and lost. With Sunggyu hyung’s techs, he rebuilt the place and renovated it to be more spacious and with higher security now to keep all of our important stuff.

When I got back to the truck, everybody was there. Sungyeol still looked sleepy as he helped Woohyun hyung to carry the boxes. I hit his head lightly to snap him out of the state but he whacked me across the shoulder. I whimpered at the strong force.

“Yah!” I yelled.

“You know the rule. Don’t touch the hair,” he said. The rest laughed but I just smirked. It was always the hair.

“Tell me again why are you still here?” he said again for the hundredth time. I turned to him and said.

“You talk too much for someone who’s going to die in a few hours you know that?” I looked at my watch. It was four in the morning and I had been sitting there for almost five hours. “Approximately in two hours,” I added.

“Thanks for the information,” he said sarcastically.

I heard him heaving a long breath. The bars rattled when he shifted his weight against it, against my back too. It was cold and as I breathe, clouds of air formed in front of my face. The place was wet and hot at the same time. Of course, it was a place to store criminals.

But Sungyeol wasn’t a criminal. He didn’t deserve to be kept here. He should be free. I suddenly remembered about my plan with Sungjong and Dongwoo hyung. Maybe Sungyeol could come. He’s good enough to be one of us from the way he struggled with those men.

“Look,” I turned to him. “Do you want to get out? Out of this place, to the world outside?”

Sungyeol didn’t answer. He probably thought I was making fun of him. Someone that was to die in a few hours should have given up on living by now. “I’m asking this for real. My friends and I are escaping the agency tonight.”

He finally turned. “Why are you asking me to come?”

“I can’t stand injustice, satisfied?”

Sungyeol didn’t seem impressed. I grunted before leaving him there. I walked back through the corridor to the guards. They were wide awake. Figures. My uncle would kill them if they fell asleep on the job. I crept to their backs and hit them with straight arms right by the shoulders. They fell into a sleep immediately. My uncle taught the trick. Just toughened up your arm and hit them at the right spot.

Never thought it would be useful. I took the keys from the drawers and ran back in. The criminals banged on their bars when they saw me with the keys. They were reaching out of their bars for me. When I reached Sungyeol’s place, he was still leaning on the bars.

But when he heard the jangle of the keys, he quickly turned and stood up. “You’re serious?” he screamed.

“Told you!” I yelled back. The door opened inwards with a swinging sound and Sungyeol took a hesitant step out. A step to his freedom. He smiled at me. I looked away and took his hand.

“We got to go. Dongwoo hyung and Sungjong are probably waiting angrily for me.” Then I began running. Sungyeol and I ran through the corridor. By then, the other inmates were angry to see I got Sungyeol out. They were furious and one of them actually caught Sungyeol by the hair. I twirled to save him but suddenly Sungyeol twisted the man’s arm with one full turn and hammered it with his elbow.

I heard the crack. The arm was broken.

“Don’t touch my hair,” he hissed. I looked at him in awe. He smirked at me before taking my hand and running outside.

I reached my room just in time to see Dongwoo hyung and Sungjong seething angrily at me. I made the second errors besides being late with bringing another guest for the escape. After much pleading, I managed to let Sungyeol come with us and we actually made it to the outside world. It was my first experience walking on the ground outside the agency and it felt great although I got a bullet through my right knee due to Sungyeol’s rashness.

I let it slipped because he said something no one else had ever said to me.

“I’m devoting my life for you for saving me.”

“Yah, L!” Hoya hit me at the back and I stumbled forward. “Quit daydreaming, will ya?” he said. They laughed at me, again. But I let it slip, again. I could never find companions like them ever.