chap18

Killing Game

 

[Woohyun’s POV]

I saw he turned his back on me, staggering as he tried walking to his room and closed the door with a soft thud behind him. I heard he slid against the door onto the floor before I thought I heard his small sobs. Or was it my imagination? Wanting Sunggyu hyung to cry after saying those things to me. To take it back and be what we used to be. Best friends. Or more.

Maybe it was me. If he was crying, it was probably from the pain.

I didn’t know how long I had been staring after the closed door but when I snapped back to reality, I smelt the disgusting scent of metal. I turned to Sunggyu’s blood on the floor. It only took me a few minutes to clean it up. I didn’t mind.

It was my fault after all.

I left the house after that. Just to take a quick stroll somewhere where I can get my mind off of things. I brought my gun with me. It was intended to capture any intruders in the house but now that I’m out of the house, it sort of change functions.

That’s how my life works. In fact, that’s how our lives work. We go with the flow. When one thing didn’t work out, we just go to another. There was no going back to square one for every mistake, there was no undo button in games and there were no taking back words that you said.

It was either take another route and go on or die on the spot. Which brought me where I was now. Taking another route to what Sunggyu hyung just spat to me. I lost my best friend and I can’t take back what I did. What happened, happened. Just live it out.

I drove the car around the curb and stopped by the park. The parking lot was empty since it’s like four in the morning except for some lovers making out behind the bushes. I saw them and I heard giggling. Damn couples! They should shut up when making . Public places like this should be full of nice people, not some idiotic teenagers who couldn’t get a room to express their loves.

I sat on a bench and laid my head back, closing it a second as I felt the soft breeze hitting me lightly. The leaves of the trees I was under ruffled in the wind and some fell onto me and the ground while some were left dangling for their lives.

I took a long breath and looked around. The couples had left.

Dragging my legs on the bench, I rested my head to my folded arm and curled my body so I fit on it. I closed my eyes a second to sleep but opened it later when Sunggyu’s sentences resounded in my head. I tried closing it again but his voice wouldn’t go away and I resolved on putting both hands to my ears to stop him from talking.

“Just go on with life, Woohyun.” I said to myself. “He’s still your teammate.”

I was supposed to let go. Feelings should never get between missions. Neither with your enemy nor your friends. Because in this business, there will be routes you have to take, unexpected ones with tough choices that include betraying and killing your friend.

And we just at it. I was getting confused with Sunggyu hyung and Dongwoo hyung. Hoya, Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Sungjong were no exceptions. Maybe the leader was right after all. Some stupid feelings.  It shouldn’t be there at the first place.

Sunggyu’s voices had stopped now. And just in time when I decided to be like him, work over feelings. Probably that was exactly he was trying to say. Forget about him. Maybe I will.

I didn’t realize I had fallen asleep but when I opened my eyes, I was faced with the blazing sun and someone hitting my shoes. I peeked over my legs and saw a small boy not older than a three year olds hitting on my leather shoes with his plastic shovel.

I sat back on the bench and realized it was nine in the morning. The gun was still in my pocket when I felt it over my jacket. The mother apologized to me for the small boy’s behaviours and I just nodded a yeah, still feeling groggy.

On the way back to the house, I tried making as many excuses as I can in my head for leaving the house. Everybody should be fuming with anger as they waited for me in the living room. Especially Sungjong. The magnae was small but his words were big and that scared me sometimes.

I parked the car at the back, not even minding how tilted it was in the passage and how the front nearly collide with some vases. Running into the living room through the kitchen, I bumped into Hoya holding a glass of water from the corner and managed to be thrown to the couch by Dongwoo hyung.

Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Sungjong sat on the couch in front of me, eyeing me like a criminal I was.

“What stupid things came across your mind when you left the house, Woohyun?” Dongwoo started. It was not easy to see him getting mad or even frown but now he was doing it at the same time.

“You’re a pain in the you know that?” Sungyeol added. “You left the front door unlocked!”

“And you took my car without my permission.” Myungsoo hissed, eyeing me behind his dark eyes.

“And most of all, you left Sunggyu hyung.” Sungjong said.

Sunggyu hyung! I looked around and saw our comforters folded neatly on the counter and wondered if Sunggyu did come out of his room while I was gone. Sungjong probably saw my eyes searching for that someone’s presence because he quickly added.

“He’s in his room. I’ve re-bandaged his chest this morning and it seemed to get worse than yesterday.”

“He wouldn’t come out,” Hoya said as he appeared from the hallway where Sunggyu hyung’s room was. He put the glass of water on the living room table with a bottle of tablets. “I knocked but he said he was doing some researches and asked not to be bothered.”

“Doesn’t he know he’s hurt?” Sungyeol added annoyingly but I know he was only worried.

Dongwoo nodded as Hoya sat next to him and then turned to me. “Did something happen? Why did you go out and why is he in his room working suddenly? I’m not blaming you Woohyun, none of us are but we just want to know since he wouldn’t let anyone in except Sungjong who wanted to change his bandage.”

“We couldn’t ask him what happen and you know how secretive he was about a lot of things.” Sungjong included.

“Did you fight, physically?” asked Myungsoo.

“You couldn’t. Against a sick person!” Sungyeol turned to me with mouth gaped open widely.

“No,” I let out slowly. “He tried to stand up and I tried to stop him and that’s when he fell.”

“Is that all?” Hoya finally said. I nodded. I couldn’t tell them about what he said. It would only made them more curious and then asking deeper on bits of information.

“Okay. I think he’ll be okay soon. Maybe he’s really into something now. Sunggyu hyung’s temper never last. He’s soft hearted.” Dongwoo hyung assured and stood up, looking proud of Sunggyu hyung’s soft and weak heart somehow. It was in a way vary rare since he’s an assassin after all.

Everybody also stood up. “And now that everyone’s here. Let’s check the papers now, okay?”

Everybody nodded.

A week passed just like that but to me it felt like a month. Not being able to talk with Sunggyu was one of the hardest things to do. Losing a friend, a best one that is was one of the hardest things that had happened to me.

Throughout the week, I managed to only bump with him twice in the hallway and he ignored me in both meetings. He saw me and our eyes met a second but he turned away and pretended I wasn’t there.

Sunggyu hyung spent most of his time in his room but we were allowed to go in and help and see him. I didn’t because I was scared of his cold stares. The others noticed this and Myungsoo had asked me but I didn’t know what to answer.

I force myself to concentrate on our current mission. I had been digging up on the files Dongwoo and Hoya stole and managed to find some secret code to it. The words that don’t made sense for us at first were actually codes. Like Morse’s code and Sunggyu hyung especially had been trying to break it.

“You broke it? You seriously broke the code!” I heard Dongwoo hyung’ scream from Sunggyu hyung’s room. Myungsoo, Sungyeol, Hoya and I who were in the living room with files on our hands and papers scattering all over the place looked up and exchanged glances.

Myungsoo was the first to stand up followed by Sungyeol, Hoya and finally me. They went in the room and joined Sungjong and Dongwoo gathering around Sunggyu hyung at his chair. I was standing at the door and listening to them talking when Sungjong went to me and pulled me inside.

“Yes. It seems that Loen has a project in Incheon. And these files were sent there in these codes so the workers wouldn’t know. This is how Loen had been doing their jobs, in codes.”

“Did you found out their accomplice?” Myungsoo added.

Sunggyu hyung nodded and pulled something from the bundle of files on the side of his table. He opened the dark brown coloured file and took out a piece of paper before placing it on the table for everyone to see.

It was a profile of a man. His criminal records were zero and all the other information were also empty aside from his picture, name and age. “Him.” Sunggyu jab a finger at the picture. “He was the accomplice.”

“Gunwoo?” Sungyeol whispered.

“Yes. He don’t have a big company like Loen and the Agency but Gunwoo’s very influential and have people willing to work for him at every district in South Korea. I kept his information years ago because it seems he wasn’t in the government’s file and his records are zero. Which is weird for someone who exists.”

“I remember now!” Hoya suddenly exclaimed, looking around with bewildered eyes.

“That’s why he looked familiar. He was the one who gave me information to help you escape the agency four months ago. I didn’t know why he helped me but he gave me the blueprints that Woohyun hyung sent to you.” He continued, shrugging Dongwoo’s arm. “And after that I never see him again.”

“You got the blueprints from Gunwoo?”

Hoya nodded. “But I didn’t know him and the reason why he helped me. Us.”

“That’s weird.” Said Myungsoo. Sungjong nodded.

“So are we going to Incheon? You did say we can’t be separated now to do missions.” Everybody nodded at Sungyeol’s words.

Sunggyu hyung looked at everyone and ran his gaze away when our eyes met. “Yes. We leave first thing in the morning.”  He muttered.

 

okay, that was it after not updating for almost a week. i think it's kind of long so i hoped youre not bored out of your mind. lol.. anyway, comments apprieciated!