chap13

Killing Game

 

(Sunggyu’s POV)

It had been exactly five days since Hoya and Dongwoo hadn’t come home. They were supposed to be back by yesterday. And the worry was slowly getting to me. Sungyeol and Myungsoo were taking the night off at the countryside on a penniless journey suggested by Myungsoo. Sungjong had been missing. He was there in the house but we hadn’t been talking or even bumped to each other. The same with Seyong. Missing like a cookie.

Which only leave me and Woohyun. We hadn’t been talking either. Woohyun made breakfast, lunch and dinner and I ate them before getting back to my secluded area in my room, burying myself into more researches.

It was about six in the morning when the door opened behind me. I knew it was Woohyun by the smell of his shampoo. He liked strawberry smell. “How long are you planning to do this to me?” he let out. “We had been best friends for what, five years? And there hasn’t been a day we hadn’t been talking and now you’re into this stupid mute mode with me for three days now.”

“What are you implying?” I was still mad at him.              

“I’m trying to imply is... I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

“Apology accepted.”

Woohyun went wide eyed with my cold treatment. “Hyung!” He dashed to me and spun my chair so I was facing him. He put both hands on the armrest, trapping me on the chair. “Talk to me! You’re killing me here!”

“What’s there to talk Woohyun?” I said to the towering younger. I swear I thought he was going to strangle me. “We both know the only thing we ever talked about was work, and how it had been a part of us. Is work what you want to talk about?”

Woohyun was confused.

“Well let me tell you something. Our last mission failed. Myungsoo did put the recorder but somehow it’s not working. I can’t hear anything but police frequencies.”

“Police frequencies? That means they can get our frequencies too and locate us.” He finally understood.

I nodded. “So I had been here for the past days on mute mode for you because I was trying to black out their signals from this house. It’s not like I was intentionally not talking to you. I was just busy. Understand?”

Woohyun nodded. “Then you’re not mad?”

“I am but I think its irrelevant now.”

“I’m sorry. I thought about what you said and maybe it’s true. I won’t do it again. I promise.”

I nodded. Truthfully, I was scared to hold on to his promise. Suddenly, the phone rang. I picked it up and almost dropped it when I heard the familiar voice.

“Hyung?” Hoya asked from the other side.

“Is everything okay? Why didn’t you come home?” Woohyun glanced at me curiously.

“Dongwoo hyung got hurt but he’s okay now.”

“What? How?”

“The mission is successful. But, our identities were exposed.”

“I don’t care about the mission. Come back now. I can’t get any of you injured.”

“Maybe tomorrow. He’s still a little weak.” Hoya answered. I heard Dongwoo’s voice from background asking if it was me on the phone. Hoya muttered a yes. “Hyung, I’ll hang up now.”

“Okay.” Hoya ended the call. I put the phone down and turned to Woohyun. I wondered if I should tell him. When it was Dongwoo’s matter in line, Woohyun tend to forget everything. He might even forget the promise he made a minute ago.

But he wouldn’t. Would he?

“That’s Hoya. He said their identities were exposed and... Dongwoo’s hurt.” I finally said.

“What?” His eyes looked like they almost fell off from its sockets. He ran to the door and searched for his coat on the coat rack. I followed him.

“Where are you going?” I knew this was going to happen. It’s repeating all over again.

“Did they tell you where they’re staying?”

“Woohyun, don’t go,” I said and stepped in front of him.

“He’s hurt! I have to help him!” the younger said and shoved past me. I felt my heart snapped into two at his action. I turned to the younger again who was slipping on his shoes.

“He has Hoya. They can protect themselves, Woohyun.”

Woohyun just shook his head and looked at me through hooded eyes. “Stop being selfish hyung. You should help me rather than stopping me.” I felt the corners of my heart burning. I was angry at him. He was so stupid and even angrier because he didn’t realize it.

I gritted my teeth and took a step back from the door. “You do what you want, just don’t regret it later.” Then I slammed the door shut and banged my hand on it in agony. I heard the shuffling of feet behind the door and I knew Woohyun was gone, back to where he wanted to be most, back to Dongwoo.

I took a hesitant step to the kitchen and made myself a cup of coffee. I needed to stay awake that noon to do some more research and then practice with the knife. But suddenly, a noise from the second floor sent me on alert. I grabbed the butter knife from the kitchen table. The butter knife was blunt but if a strong force was applied on it, it could still be a deadly weapon. I tiptoed up the stairs and went to the attic, where the noise came from.

I pushed the door slowly with my feet and looked at the surrounding. There was not anything but an opened window. The cold wind sifted into my room and I had to wrap my covers around my body as I closed the window carefully. After that I went downstairs and took the drink into the living room. I took a sip of it as I sat on the couch, pushing the thoughts of Woohyun being with Dongwoo to the very back of my mind before taking yet another gulp from the cup.

I suddenly felt very lightheaded. My vision started to double and everything became blurry. The cup slipped from my hand and the hot coffee poured all over my feet. I hissed in pain and forced myself to stand up when I felt a hand pushing me back to the couch. The skilled hands were forcefully holding me into place before something was pressed over my nose and my head shot back as I smelled the morphine. Then everything went blank.

I woke up still woozy as the drug was still taking it effect on me. I calmed myself to comprehend my surrounding but everything was dark. My hands were tied behind me tightly with a strong rope and an experienced knot. I leaned on my left and saw legs. The legs were raised before it stamped on my body at full force. I yelled in pain. I hate being immobilized. Then the stampings came over and over again until I felt my ribs pinching painfully to my lungs.

I started finding it hard to breathe as I slowly spoke the name of a person I was hoping would come. A person that I knew was with someone else right at that moment. A person I love so very much.

“Woohyun...”

The stampings suddenly stop altogether and I felt being lifted from the ground, wherever I was. Blood trailed down my hair down to my face and into my mouth as it mixed with the saliva and blood bubbling out from it. It felt bitter as I gulped down some of it to breathe. I was thrown into a vehicle and brought somewhere.

The next time I opened my eyes, I was at home. I thought none of them actually happened and it was all a dream but the pain erupting from my lungs suggested otherwise. I saw only red and mouthed Woohyun’s name before the door slammed opened and I saw him, Nam Woohyun, running towards me, panicked and terrified visible on his face.

-- --

(Woohyun POV)

Sunggyu hyung coughed out a mouthful of blood as he snickered.

“I knew you’d left me for Dongwoo. I always knew you’d do anything for him, but never this. Remember when we helped Dongwoo, L and Sungjong out of the agency? Even from the first glance I knew the way you looked at him. I knew you liked him. But by then I thought it was just as a company, a comrade to fight side by side with, a friend to share all your problems. You were blinded by him the second he entered our lives.”

“Hyung, stopped talking.”

“You should know this, before I die.”

“You’re not going to die!”

“But when he chose to follow Hoya, I thought you’d understand why he did it. But you’re just too ing blind to see it all. Too... ing... blind...”

“Hyung, stop,” tears trickled down my cheek and fell on Sunggyu hyung’s face. He blinked when he felt the warm tears on his cheek. He raised his right hand slowly and touched my cheek, slowly wiping my tears with his bloodied hand.

Then it went limp with the rest of his body and he stopped breathing altogether.

“SUNGGYU HYUNG!!!”

 

thank you for the comments. really! and this time its bloddy sunggyu. last time was dongwoo was it? anyway, comments apprieciated!