chap21

Killing Game

 

[Myungsoo’s POV]

It was raining heavily that night. After the meeting ended at about 11 o clock we had all left for our rooms. I stayed a while as I watched Sungjong changed Sunggyu hyung’s bandage again. The hyung could now raise his arm which is a big improvement and he could also breathe easier without hurting his chest. I saw the others left for late night training for where I don’t know.

But when I reached my room I heard Sungyeol talking with someone on the phone. He was almost half yelling and half whispering. And when I pushed the door open he immediately ended the call.

“Who’s that?”

He let out a small smile. “No one.”

Sungyeol threw himself on the bed and I joined him. We stayed quiet, deep in our own thoughts. And my mind went flying back to the meeting earlier. Gunwoo.

Is he the escape I had been waiting for from my uncle? Will he be the person who would do the honour of killing the man that had been my nightmares for years and released me from this weight on my back?

Was he the answer and people I had been waiting for? Because if so, I would gladly help him.

“Will there be happy endings for us, Yeol?” I asked, glancing up and taking his hand.

“What? Why do you ask?” He gripped my hand back.

“I’m sick of this business. Let’s just stop. I can’t live like this anymore and I don’t want to kill anyone anymore.”

“It’s part of your life. You were trained so.”

“Yes. Maybe that’s why I want to feel something different. A life where I don’t know about killings, guns, knives and people who hunt me for money. A life where my friends are hurt because of incidents and not people beating them to a pulp, stabbed or slaughtered...”

“A life with you...” I said softly.

“Do you really want to live normally that much?” Sungyeol breathed and looked at me but my eyes were trained on some spot on the wall.

I left his question daggling. Yes was the answer but I was scared of admitting. I know there was no end for us when in this business. The only end was probably death or losing Sungyeol, which is worse.

Without a word, I turned my body so I was facing him and shifted closer, making us sharing the same pillow. Sungyeol still had his eyes on me, trying to search my gaze that I was hiding. I put our entwined hands against his chest and let his heartbeat calm me.

“Does it still hurt?” Sungyeol asked again for the hundredth time that day. It became to the point even hearing his voice was annoying since it was the only thing he had been asking. I hummed and answer but kept my eyes close, trying to get some sleep.

It was about half an hour later when I opened my eyes back. I realized couldn’t sleep. I felt uncomfortable. It wasn’t my leg. The pain was nothing; I’ve had worse so maybe it was the new atmosphere. For the first time in my life, I was outside the agency and I didn’t know what to do or even think. I had so much in my mind but at the same time I lost all my aims.

I turned to Sungjong, hoping the younger would be awake to have someone to talk to but no. He was sound asleep. Typical Sungjong. He needs his beauty sleep. I should sleep too, I told myself. I finally closed my eyes after a few minutes and straightened my leg and it hit the end of the bed.

“Couldn’t sleep?” I heard Sungyeol asked from above. I opened my eyes back and saw Sungyeol peeking from the top bunk at me, looking worried as ever. I shook my head.

“Sungyeol can I ask you something?” I started after a few minutes of silence in the room besides the soft snores of Sungjong on the opposite bed. He nodded and peeked on further from his bed to give his full attention to me.

“What did you do before you came in the agency, before you killed the man that killed your family?”

“I... Live. I actually live like a normal boy with my family. We were certainly happy. We weren’t rich but we were happy with our life.”

I looked up and met Sungyeol’s natural smile. I saw him smirk and sniggered but never smile like that before. Just the thought of his family made him smile and I, I never knew the meaning of family, life or whatever Sungyeol had that I never did.

“I never knew my parents,” I said. I hadn’t intended to get his pity; I was just saying it so he knew he shouldn’t talk about family or life freely to me. It hurt to me to see someone else had the fun I never had during their childhood time, the fun of running around freely and not worrying about the slightest thing. Not worrying you wouldn’t be hit by the general every time you missed the target or beaten when you couldn’t finish the course round better than your previous records.

“It’s better to not know your parents than seeing them die in front of your eyes,” I heard his voice cracked.

“We’re all hurt in a way.” I said and turned to the sleeping younger. “Sungjong was sent to the agency by his parents. I guess he’s worse.”

I noticed Sungyeol staring at Sungjong. “That’s why he cared about you. You’re like his family.” He said.

I nodded. I think I’ve heard Sungjong said that before, that I was his only family besides Dongwoo hyung.

“Do you...” I hesitated. “Do you think we’re a family? Now that we seven lived together.”                   

Sungyeol looked taken aback a bit before a small smile made its way to his lips. He nodded.

“You care about me, right?” I asked. I felt Sungyeol’s hand stiffened in my grip as he pulled my chin up so I was looking at him in the eye. He waited for me to continue but that was it. It was a direct question.

“Of course. Why?”

“Nothing.”

Sungyeol nodded. He knew I didn’t like being questioned with my words. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his hug as I buried my face to his chest. It was soothing; the way Sungyeol always knew how to comfort me when I need it, or even when I didn’t need it. I glanced up at him from between his arms and saw Sungyeol staring at a spot, as if thinking of something.

“What?” I asked.

Sungyeol let his gaze drop to my face before opening his mouth to say something, but no words came out. “What?” I repeated.

“Let’s go out.” He suddenly suggested.

“Where?”

He frowned, thinking of something. “Just outside the house, nowhere too far.” I agreed and grabbed my cardigan to wear on that cold night. I didn’t even realize the rain had stopped pouring. Sungyeol held my hand as he pulled me out of the room.

So we left the house, not before telling Sunggyu hyung. We didn’t want anyone to think we went missing. Once outside the house, just by the closed gate, I felt Sungyeol’s hand crept around my waist as he pulled me closer. I smirked at the sudden display of affection.

“What are you doing, silly?” I glanced up to his doe like eyes and saw him staring at me. But he wasn’t smiling. “What’s wro-“

Then I felt it. Something pierced  at my waist from behind. I swiftly turned to see Sungyeol with a half empty syringe in his hand. He grabbed me just as I felt the muscles of my legs going taut. I lost all sense of balance when I lost control of the lower half of my body. I clutched onto him and saw tears falling down his cheeks.

“I’m sorry,” I could make out as he pulled my face to his chest. Dizziness started to settle in and then everything went black.

 

yes there u go guys. kill me now. sorry for the short chapter though