Trade in

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

Thud.

A soft sound broke the silence as Sooyoung dropped Taeyeon's frail body on the lower mattress of the bunk bed, letting the weight off her sore shoulders. Taeyeon groaned as she shifted her body on the sheets while Sooyoung leaned over the rails of the bedpost. Sunny, following suit, immediately grabbed a chair to the bedside and attended to Taeyeon.  

Sooyoung only watched in jealousy as Sunny removed Taeyeon's cardigan, her molars crashing as Sunny worried over the other girl. 

As soon as Sunny ed Taeyeon's polo shirt, Sooyoung swiftly grabbed Sunny's wrist and stopped her from continuing.

"What do you think are you doing?!"

"What? She's soaking wet. I'm just going to change her clothes." Sunny cried out from the sudden grip. She twisted her arm off of the other girl's hold but Sooyoung was not letting go.

"I..." Sooyoung hesitated, narrowing her eyes momentarily before she could continue to speak up.

"You what?" Sunny asked, raising a brow and still looking at her bound wrist.

"Let me do it! You should get into the bathroom and change. You'll get sick if you don't get into something dry." Sooyoung said retreating, slowly releasing her hand off Sunny's wrist. She then stood up and took a bunch of fresh towels from the hamper and tossed it over to the shorter one.

Sunny quickly caught them in her arms as she replied back, explaining herself. "It's okay Sooyoungie. I practically grew up with Taeng. We often had to change clothes together. There's nothing to see here." she stated calmly before making an addition. "By the way Sooyoungie, can you do me a favor instead? Heat up some water and get me a small towel for Taeng. Please"

"But--" Sooyoung protested with gritted teeth. She was already frustrated to see Taeyeon out of all people at the Namsan tower and now, she was too close to losing her temper seeing Taeyeon on her bed and Sunny attending to her. "That was when you were kids?!"

"Sooyoungie..." Sunny persisted. "What's wrong with you tonight? Is there something you wanna say to me?"

Sooyoung just shook her head incredulously and threw the car keys on top of the dresser. She rolled her eyes as she turned her body away from the other. 

"Okay, now, will you please get me some warm water?" Sunny asked, momentarily staring at Sooyoung's back.

Unable to utter another word, Sooyoung just exited their room and proceeded as asked.

Once Sooyoung disappeared, Sunny turned her attention back to Taeyeon. Closing one eye and fighting through her bashfulness, Sunny stripped Taeyeon with the rest of her wet clothes and replaced it with a dry shirt and a pair of shorts. 

Using one of the towels that Sooyoung had tossed earlier, Sunny then dried up Taeyeon's locks, clamping the soft material against the danked tresses. Sunny couldn't help but just get lost in that moment, reminiscing the times they were younger. How she would often dry Taeyeon's hair for her. Sunny stopped for a second and just looked at her long-time best friend.

Pale as a newly peeled radish, Taeyeon still looked knocked-out, yet, her cheeks and forehead were a shade of red, burning from the fever that perpetuated. Sunny checked Taeyeon's temperature again, touching Taeyeon's forehead and feeling her other hand with her own. Amidst this timid check-up, Sunny could not help but stare at Taeyeon's visage, resting quite peacefully and just a few inches away from her own. From the burning forehead, Sunny's hand unconsciously traced down to Taeyeon's closed eyes, her small candle-flame-shaped finger dwindling down to the bridge of the hallyu star's perfect nose, the rosy cheeks and eventually she stopped by the pair of lips that were parted for breathing.

Sunny blew her fringes and sighed. Her thumb caressed the soft lips that she longed to have in her own when they were both trainees. 

"Jumtaeng..." Sunny whispered. She was so torn on whether she should take advantage of the moment.

Taeyeon did not even move an inch; the only movements evident were the deep exhales she made as her body fended off the chills of the fever. Totally lost in oblivion and between reorganizing her feelings and thoughts, Sunny, leaned forward and hovered over Taeyeon's head, eyes closed and bated breath. She inched closer and closer, opened her eyes and inspected Taeyeon's face once more. A few more inches and she could feel those soft lips brushing hers. Yet, she stopped. Sunny leaned in, frozen in her movements.

"Are you really gonna do this?" Sunny thought, asking herself.

She blinked a few more times before making a decision to forego with her childish attempt. It was not right for her to do it, not when Taeyeon was in such state.

The door to the room once again opened and Sooyoung butted in with a small towel in one hand and a small basin of hot water in the other. Her eyes darted to Sunny who suddenly withdrew her head away from the hallyu star. Sunny's face was filled with embarrassment, a growing crimson rushing to her cheeks. The tall one noticed everything amiss. Sooyoung felt nauseous; she was almost at her limit, ready to pounce on the sick girl on bed and throw her out in the rain.

"Sorry, I guess you were busy." Sooyoung muttered heavily while settling the items she held on the bedside table haphazardly, sending some of the warm liquid spilled on the tabletop. She immediately turned her back to Sunny and suspired in defeat, clutching on the door handle with a vice grip before swinging it open again. "I'll be outside. Don't wait for me. Take care of Taeyeon."

"Sooyoungie, it's not what you think." Sunny swiftly cried out, raising her hands in defense while trying to convince the other to brush off her speculations.

"Sure. I'll be somewhere else."

"Wait, it's raining outside. You should--"

Sunny had tried to stop Sooyoung from leaving but she was a second too late as the taller girl exited the room and slammed the door. With one brow up, Sunny only baffled herself with how Sooyoung was acting. She hardly noticed it but it was more pronounced as the days went by right after her reunion with Taeyeon. Sunny could only wonder why but she was still too clouded with her sense of judgment with regards to her own feelings towards the hallyu star.

"What's gotten to you Sooyoungie?" she questioned herself as she took the basin and the towel from the table.

Distracted by a soft groan again from the one on bed, Sunny averted her attention apace from Sooyoung and back to Taeyeon.

"Pany-ah..." Taeyeon mumbled in her sleep. Sunny's face immediately drew a frown. Despite lying in another bed in an unfamiliar place, Taeyeon was still calling out for her manager.

"Pany?" Sunny muttered curiously. "Oh, Tiffany.”

Sunny’s spirits suddenly deflated as she realized who Taeyeon was calling out. “You and your manager seem to be close Taeng. That’s quite odd. And I thought you hated your handlers."

Sunny puffed her cheeks in mild frustration and continued with her nursing. With one hand, she grabbed the towel from the basin and laid it on top of Taeyeon's forehead. The fever was plateauing after a few more minutes. It would more likely take her a couple more hours before Taeyeon could recuperate. Sunny continued on dunking the towel in warm liquid and squeezed it before replacing it again on Taeyeon's head.

Softly, Taeyeon stirred to her side, mumbling again in short phrases that were clear enough to be understood. "I'm sorry...Sooyeon..."

"Mhmm. That's good Taeng. Let go of Sooyeon." Sunny muttered, as if she was normally chatting with Taeyeon, and brushing off the matted strands of hair away from Taeyeon's forehead. “Funny how you still have your habit of talking honestly in your sleep. You are still the same Jumtaeng I knew back then.”

Sunny smiled. Her memories flashed before her. She would often converse this way with Taeyeon when they were younger and Taeyeon always answered her truthfully while deep in sleep. Taeyeon would often deny these when awake but Sunny knew better. She found out about Taeyeon and Sooyeon’s relationship the same way.

"Pany-ah...”

“Tiffany Hwang again Taeng?” Sunny asked under her breath.

“Sarang...hae…saranghae Pany-ah."

Sunny' winced as she felt a stab into her heart as Taeyeon had spilled out a confession unconsciously. There was definitely something more going on and she did not like it. “You…you love her Tae?”

Taeyeon only groaned as she huffed shortly.

I guess Sooyeon's out of the picture but...manager Hwang? Why? Why her Taeng? You just met her! There's nothing really special about her.

Her hand pressed over the towel lying above Taeyeon's head and slowly drifted to the curve of Taeyeon's face. Sunny caressed Taeyeon's chin and her fingertips brushed over the smooth surface of Taeyeon's lips once again. 

"Tae...why didn’t you see me that way too? We've been together for so long. Yet you never noticed me." Sunny whispered, lingering her finger on the sides of Taeyeon's mouth. And as if she was hypnotized, Sunny cautiously raised herself from the bedside and laid down beside Taeyeon gently.

The hallyu star was under the covers while Sunny rested above it, their bodies the closest they've ever been in years. Sunny snuggled close to Taeyeon's neck, earning another huffed groan from the latter. Totally ignoring her screaming conscience, Sunny softly wrapped her arm over Taeyeon in a semi-embrace. Satisfied, Sunny dropped her hand's weight over Taeyeon's abdomen and Taeyeon unknowingly turned her head towards Sunny's crown. 

"Hmmm...it's been so long I've laid down beside you Taeng. Remember how we used to have sleepovers? Every time you had a problem, you still ended up turning to me. Always me." Sunny narrated while staring at the wooden planks that held up her own mattress above their heads. "Come to think of it. It always has been even until now. Isn't it ironic? Of all people in Seoul who could be up in that tower, it was me who found you Taeng. Me. Sunny." 

Sunny tilted her chin up and browsed over Taeyeon's pale face. She propped her head on the base of her palm as she used her elbow as a stilt. "Don't you think it's me who you deserve, Jumtaeng? Not Sooyeon. And not Tiffany?"

Sunny's questions remained unanswered, as Taeyeon was still deep into slumber. Short sighs only served as her blank replies. 

"Jumtaeng..."

Taeyeon breathed a little bit deeper, raising her chest and expired into a long shallow release.

"Taeyeon-ah, I think…I still love you..."

Sunny choked on her words. Despite the awkward confession, a tiny voice in her head was protesting to what she had just said. Disconcerted, she sunk back beside Taeyeon and buried her face into the other pillow. Sooyoung's shampoo scent was fastened to the pillowcase and Sunny couldn't understand why she found the smell too comforting that it was lulling her to sleep. Seconds only passed and Sunny had also closed her eyes next to the warmth of Taeyeon's body. She was still mumbling to herself, talking aloud as if Taeyeon could understand and talk to her back. 

"Tae, I do think I love you but I wonder...about Sooyoungie...does she? I mean, no. Sigh. Taeng, I'm really lost and confused...why can't you just love me instead? Things would have been better."

 

Fifteen minutes later, outside the door, Sooyoung had her back against wood. She wanted to apologize to Sunny for her childish behavior and it took about some moments staring into the rain before she realized how foolish she was.

Just get in there and apologize Sooyoung. Taeyeon is sick. They're friends. Really close friends before. There's nothing to be angry about. And it must have been just your imagination. Sunny couldn't have kissed her.

Sooyoung shook her head to lose the memory of what happened minutes earlier.

And if she did, well, Taeyeon couldn't have kissed back. You’re just being a jackass jealous about this whole thing. To think, Sunny isn’t even your girl. She just thinks of you as her friend. 

She closed her eyes temporarily and gripped the doorknob. Just before she opened it fully, she noticed the half empty basin and the extra towels scattered on the tabletop. She was expecting to see Sunny awake by the chair on the bedside but surprisingly she wasn't there. Her eyes marked the floor. Slowly her eyes travelled to the hallyu star on her bed and then she finally saw Sunny. She was right next to Taeyeon in a very close embrace. Sunny's head was just at the crook of Taeyeon's neck and both were sleeping peacefully--too peaceful contrary to the exponential raging drums in Sooyoung's head. Sooyoung took one deep breath and wiped her cheek, to where a lone tear has dribbled down.

"Sooyoung...” she said to herself. "Jinja, pabo yah."

She swiftly turned around and closed the door, running out into the center of the bar and out into the wet streets. She wasn't staying in that place for that night. She doesn't know what happened but she wasn't sticking a second longer to comprehend the situation. How could Sunny not see her intentions all this time? She asked herself continuously as the rain soaked her tears falling down her cheeks. Is this worth the three years together in Japan? Was this even the right decision to come to Korea with her?

"Aish. ." Sooyoung hissed while entering a packed pub, just a couple of blocks away from where she left.

---------------

Yuri's eyes fluttered open slowly and she was surprised to see a white ceiling and a lone fluorescent light in her line of sight. A flush of steam was projecting from her side and the intense smell of alcohol and bleach raided her nose.  She tried getting up but a a heavy feeling in her head stopped her. She felt like she was drugged and fatigued. She felt like she had danced the whole week without stopping and then someone beat her up after.

She panned her head to her right and noticed a white plastic tube running from her backhand and up a stand. The slow drips of sodium-amended sugary water ran from the bottle to her veins. Yuri blinked a few more times, clearing her sight and her head. Softly, she felt another person stir by her left side and she averted her gaze immediately to a blonde crown. She immediately knew who it was and Yuri pulled all her strength to mumble her name while raising her left hand to touch the golden locks.

"Si---ca..."

Upon hearing the faint whisper and the soft touch on her hair, Jessica immediately shot her head up and scanned Yuri's awoken face.

"Yuri-ah! Thank goodness you're awake!"

Jessica grabbed Yuri's raised hand and pressed her lips against it. Yuri managed to make a feeble smile at the sight of her girlfriend.

"Sica...I'm in the hospital, right? What happened?" Yuri asked, squinting her eyes as she adjusted to the pounding pain that was also starting to radiate in her head.

"Mmm..."Jessica merely nodded after restraining her tears from falling down her cheeks. She was too overjoyed by the fact that Yuri was able to recognize her and come to her senses. Slowly, the blonde spoke again. "Yuri-ah, you got into a car accident earlier this evening but everything's fine now. You're in the hospital and the docs have been attending to you. I came as soon as I received a call from one of the nurses here. Anyway, the rough is over, I'm just so glad you're awake now. I thought I was going to lose you...too."

"Accident?" Yuri mumbled. She was trying her best to remember everything before the crash and she did, almost instantly. The lotus pendant was shimmering in her memory and the blatant discovery she had about Jessica and Taeyeon being previous lovers almost came to her like headlines news on a morning paper. Yuri had every intention of confronting her girlfriend then her best friend. Yet, things turned out the way it was.

"Sica, where's Taengoo? Did you see her?"

Jessica's eyes widened at Yuri's question; she wasn't sure if it was the right time to let Yuri know about her past but she knew it had to come out one way or another. "Yuri, about Tae-"

"Sica...I already know." Yuri interrupted, her hands unconsciously forming into a fist. Yuri could make out from Jessica's expression that what she had speculated was nothing but the truth. It wasn't the best time and circumstance for either but it was prompt enough to have the truth out. “I...I just found out Sica..."

"H-how?" Jessica only managed to ask. Her stricken face was all that Yuri could see.

Yuri remembered the necklace she had in her in hands before losing consciousness from the accident, followed by the painting, the flowers, the card, and the pictures. Every piece was like a cut-out portion of a jigsaw puzzle that were all now laid down next to each other in perfect fit, bringing the bigger picture. 

"I...somehow...figured it out." Yuri mumbled softly but she still couldn't break the tension in her hands. Her knuckles were almost white and blood was draining from her hand. "Why didn't you tell me? You could have at least told me you had a past relationship with a celebrity. I wouldn’t have mind."

"Yuri. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for not telling you." Head bent down, Jessica started to sob again but she fought her tears hard. It was an endless tearful night for her. "I've been wanting to tell you that I had my relationship with Taeyeon but I always pushed it back, thinking it was unimportant."

"Unimportant huh?" Yuri repeated. "Well, I guess so. But still...ah...I don't know..."

"Yuri..." Sica started to tear up.

"Shhh." Yuri hushed. Just then, Yuri opened her hand, letting the blood rush again to the tips of her fingers. She couldn't bear seeing Jessica cry again. "We'll talk about this when things settle. I want to talk to Taengoo, too. So for now, don't cry. Stop crying Sica...please?"

"Yuri-ah...please believe me, I love you. I won't leave you like what I did to Taeyeon. I love you so much."

"I know Sica. I also..." Yuri said, rushing to pick herself up and moving her torso forward to embrace her lover, but suddenly she noticed something else as her voice trailed off into a murmur. "love you...."

Jessica's sobs dwindled as she held on Yuri who made a sudden jolt from her rest. A surprised expression on the other alerted Jessica of Yuri's awareness to something she had feared more than the revelation of her previous relationship with Taeyeon.

"Yuri?"

"S-Sica, what....” Yuri asked, her tone rising “is going on?". Amidst the intensity of pain she felt from her upper body, Yuri was bewildered on the insensitivity she felt on her lower limb. "Sica, why can't I feel...why can't I feel my leg?"

"Yuri..."

"Yuri-what?" Yuri yelled this time, unintentionally. It was straining for her to shout as the accident had somehow affected her breathing but she couldn't stop herself from getting agitated. It wasn't just the aches she was complaining about. It was the panic starting to creep inside her. "Sica! Call the nurse! Call me the doctor! Quick!"

Jessica held Yuri down. She was indeed smaller but at Yuri's state, she was able to easily control the stronger girl and make her go down on bed. "Yuri, please. You just had surgery. Don't aggravate yourself and just lie down."

Much to Sica's persistence, Yuri fought her way to sit up and grabbed Jessica by the arm. "Sica, I can't lie down! I don't feel a thing from my leg! What happened---" Yuri yelled some more and her hand was able to dragged the white sheet off her lower limbs,"----to me...."

Yuri couldn't believe her eyes. Despite her drugged state, she could clearly see two metal rods parallel her leg and smaller ones poking her skin, which ran perpendicular to the larger ones. It was like a horror film. Her long bruised leg impaled by metal that prohibited her any movement. She commanded her brain to move her toes but Yuri could only stare at her foot, immobile. 

"Yuri. Please calm down. You're going to feel better after you get rest and therapy." Jessica quickly said, grabbing the hospital bed blanket over Yuri's leg, concealing the painful sight.

"Therapy?" Yuri finally lost it. All the body malaise she felt was injected with adrenaline that fueled her anger. "How long would that take Sica?! Months? Years? I can't even feel my leg! Do you even know what that means to me?"

Jessica grabbed hold of Yuri's waist and just hugged Yuri tight. Yuri's hands laid flat on the bed cushion. She couldn't bring herself to embrace her lover at that point. She was willing to let go of any of Jessica's past, of Taeyeon's past but this, this state she couldn't accept. This is what is now going to be her present and future. She might not be able to walk again. No. She might not be able to dance again!

"Get out Sica. Please, I want to be alone." Yuri commanded, cold and striking like the pieces of metal rods that crossed her legs. "I can't let you see me like this!"

"I'm not going to leave you Yuri." Jessica whimpered. She was still clutching on to Yuri's torso even though the latter was just staring aimlessly at her foot. "I'm here. I won't leave you."

"Let go Sica. Please. Leave the room."

"Yuri-ah." Jessica held on tighter. "We'll get through this together."

Yuri swallowed hard. Her breathing was heavier than before. She was about to push Jessica off her when the door suddenly opened.

"Jess? I heard some yelling. Are you ok----" Tiffany asked as she entered the room without knocking. "Oh, Yuri. Thank God you're awake! We were so worried about you."

"Stephanie, get your best friend. I want to rest." Yuri spitefully said while releasing herself loose from Jessica.

"I already told you Yuri-ah. I am not leaving you alone right now." Jessica scowled, taking Yuri's hand in hers. 

"Suit yourself." Yuri spat, pulling her hand off. "It's not like I can go anywhere, can I?"

"Yuri-ah...no, please seobang…"

Tiffany came up behind Jessica and placed her hand over the blonde's shoulder. "Jess, is this about you and Tae?"

For some reason, the Taeyeon-Jessica issue only pumped more hate into Yuri. She had enough of talking and listening to everything that was twirling in her head, only to be amplified by the presence of the two people inside the hospital. Somehow, Yuri was more angered with her crippled condition than that of her girlfriend and best friend. "Please, will the two of you get out? I want to go to sleep. Hopefully, I'd wake up thinking this is all a nightmare."

"Yuri-ah." Jessica pleaded this time. She was fighting her hardest not to cry in front of her girlfriend. "Please don't do this."

"Jess, I think Yuri needs some time to let things sink in." Tiffany pressed more on her best friend’s shoulder, hopefully giving a bit more comfort for her stricken comrade. “Come on, give her some time."

"I can't leave her like this Tiffany" Jessica said, softly swiping the hand off her shoulder.

"Yes you can. I need to be alone." Yuri followed, turning her head to the side. "Stephanie, please. Out."

"Jess, let's go." Tiffany soflty whispered but Jessica did not move from her seat.

"I'm not going anywhere Tiff. Even if Yuri says I should go. I will stay." 

An awkward silence settled into thin air until Yuri bowed her head, her jet-black matted hair hiding her face.

"If only you had told me about you and Taeyeon, I wouldn't have rushed in my car..."

"Yuri-ah?" Jessica whimpered, baffled by Yuri's sudden mumbles.

“I wouldn’t have gone out of the apartment…”

“What are you talking about?”

"I wouldn't have seen that stupid necklace. I wouldn't have lost focus on the road.”

“Seobang…”

“I… I wouldn't have met that accident and I wouldn't have this leg" Yuri finally said, pounding her fist into her thigh and turning her head away from the gaze of her dumb-stricken girlfriend. "Don't you think this is your fault Sica? Think about it. You caused this right?"

“I didn’t mean anything to you. The last thing I wanted was hurt and lose you Yuri.”

Jessica’s hands grasped the bed sheet, gripping it with all her might.

Yuri turned her head back at Jessica and looked at her intently. “This is your fault. It's ALL your fault..."

"Yuri! Stop it!" Tiffany cried out instantly stopping Yuri in her bitter outcry. She couldn't believe her ears, how hurtful those words could have been towards the person on the bedside. 

"Yu...Yuri, you didn't mean that, did you?" Jessica asked, now clutching to Yuri's arm as if her life depended on it.

Tiffany continued on her lecture. "Yuri, you better take that back. Don't blame Jess. She had nothing to do with you getting you in a mishap!"

"I already told you guys to get out! How many times do I have to repeat myself?" Yuri barked louder this time. She pounded on her leg as if it was a lifeless log, doing more damage to her already injured leg. "I'm a freaking cripple, thanks to all of you!"

"Yah. Yuri. That's enough!" Tiffany raised her voice, unable to control her emotions.

"She's right Tiff..." Jessica managed to say amidst a tear threatening to fall.

"Jess...no, it isn't." Tiffany turned to her best friend and back at Yuri. "Take back what you said Yuri. Jessica doesn't deserve this."

"And I deserve this?" Yuri screamed, thrashing and pulling off her dextrose bag almost off the IV rack. ""Just! All of you! GET THE OUT!""

At that moment, two nurses came in and realized the situation was not fit for the patient. Yuri turned to her side and deliberately ignored Jessica on the edge of the bed. Tears had fallen from Yuri's eyes and she was in pain. Too much pain.

One of the nurses gathered Jessica and Tiffany together and asked them to leave while the other immediately inspected the drip in the IV and Yuri's condition. Retaliating from the other nurse, Yuri summoned all her might to kick her only functional leg to rid violently of the sheets. The other nurse, who was requesting Jessica and Tiffany to leave, swiftly panned her attention to Yuri and held down the patient.

Seeing Yuri was still not cooperating as she tried to pull of the medication running through her veins, the nurse who inspected the IV took out a vial in her pocket and immediately administered Yuri some drug to calm her down.

"I said all of you get out!" Yuri thrashed some more. "Even you nurses! Get the out! You all can't help me!"

"Excuse me, what are you doing to Yuri?" Jessica asked as she saw Yuri weaken under the other nurse's grasp. In a matter of a few more seconds, Yuri slipped into sleep.

"I...said...get...out" Yuri murmured. "Si...ca"

"I just gave her something to calm her down and let her sleep for a few more hours. It's better for the patient to not move around much." the nurse informed back, slipping her hands in her pockets as soon as Yuri remained still on bed. "Please ma'am. I suggest we don't aggravate the patient. It'll worsen her condition."

"Jess, let's leave the doctor and nurses to check up on Yuri. There's nothing much we can do for now." Tiffany prodded.

The nurses bowed lightly before them and exited the room. Yuri was sleeping peacefully contrary to the rage minutes earlier.

"She blames me for the accident Tiff. This is my fault. I made her lose her leg. It’s almost like I killed her." Jessica bawled. "What kind of person am I? I've caused so much pain to everyone I've loved!"

"Shh. Yuri didn't mean it." Tiffany said, pausing for a bit, hopefully to pacify Jessica. "She was just shocked. I’m sure it was her anxiety that kicked in. She still has her leg. With therapy, she'll be back to normal. Don't give up on her Jess."

Tiffany leaned in to Jessica and the other girl just hugged Tiffany with all her remaining energy, "Tiff...maybe I should learn to let go. I've already caused too much damage to everyone here in this country."

Tiffany pulled away and held Jessica by the arms. "What do you mean Jess? What do you mean by leaving?"

"Nothing Tiff. Forget what I said." Jessica said, deflated. "You know what, can I ask a favor?"

"Sure. What is it?" Tiffany responded, narrowing her eyes still from Jessica's last comment.

"Can you get me some clothes back home?" 

"We could just leave together. There are nurses here to see Yuri.”

“I’ll stay. I need to stay by Yuri’s side for the time-being.”  Jessica spoke softly, settling back on the chair on the bedside and held on to Yuri’s hand.

Tiffany turned her head at an angle and wondered at her bestfriend’s unusually calm behavior. “Oh, Okay then Jess. I’ll be back in an hour. Call me if Tae gets here or if something happens. Is that all?”

Jessica smiled meekly. “Mhmm. That’s it for now.”

“You sure you’re alright?”

“Yes Tiff. I’m okay.” Jessica said while turning back on Yuri, holding the patient’s hand up to her own mouth, kissing it.

Tiffany sighed and did a double take. Something was wrong. No everything was actually wrong. “I’ll be going. Take care of yourself and Yuri, Jess.”

“Thanks Tiff.”

 

------------------------

Taeyeon felt a warm body beside her. Was she back at her place? Where was she? It all felt unfamiliar as she tried to alert herself into consciousness.

"Soonkyu?" she cried out as soon as she saw the pixie blond hair right by her shoulder. "I mean, Sunny? Is that you?"

The shorter gal stirred in the comforts of her sleep as she left her own dreamland. She fluttered her eyes open and immediately realized she was almost on top of Taeyeon. 

"Oh. Taeng. You're awake." Sunny said as she jolted from Taeyeon's side and sat up on the edge of the bunk bed.

Taeyeon sat up and the towel on her forehead had fallen into her lap. Baffled, she also inspected her clothes and recognized that she was in a different set, obviously not her own. 

"You...you had a fever last night." Sunny immediately explained causing Taeyeon to nod lightly. "Sooyoung and I found you at the Namsan tower crying. You told me about Sooyeon. Then you collapsed so I decided to just bring you here. We're at my place. Well, technically, Sooyoung's and my place."

"I see." Taeyeon replied as she wiped her hand at the back of her neck, stretching her pained muscle. "I'm sorry for the hassle, Sunny."

"Not at all Taeng." Sunny beamed, easing out the slight awkwardness as she moved out of bed and settled into the chair. "What are friends for, right?", she added almost choking on the last words.

"Yeah. I'm lucky you and Sooyoung found me there." Taeyeon whispered as she swung her legs out also to sit by the edge of the mattress. "Thank you."

Sunny cheeks turned rosy red as soon as Taeyeon's eyes dug into her own with sincerity. "Ah, anniyo Taeng."

Taeyeon looked away as she tried to analyze the time. Her eyes fell on the alarm clock right by the bedside desk. It was already close to noon. 

"Sunny, I don't mean to be rude but I think I have to get back to my place and see Sooyeon and Tiffany. I need to tell Sooyeon that although it's hard to rid of this overnight, at least we could start on a clean slate."

"Oh. Are you sure you're fit to go elsewhere?" Sunny asked, lightly holding Taeyeon's hands to stop her from going back to Sooyeon, or worse, to Tiffany,

"Mhmm."  Taeyeon nodded, placing her other hand over Sunny's. "You took care of me so I'm sure I'm all okay now."

Sunny pulled her hand away as soon as she felt her face warming up. "Maybe you should just stay for awhile longer. I'll get you something to eat. You haven't eaten anything...probably since last night."

"Thanks Sunny, I appreciate it but I think I need to see Sooyeon and talk this out with her." 

"You don't need to see her anymore. I mean I don't mean to intrude. I haven't put myself before you and her three years ago and I don't think I am as important enough to meddle now but I think it's best you two just stay away from each other Taeng."

"Well, things could have been easier if it weren't for complicated relationships. Sooyeon, I mean, Jess is also Tiffany's, erghh... my manager's dear friend. I can't just ignore it." Taeyeon said, disheartened.

"Then change managers. You always have done that before. Plus I've heard Manager Hwang have always wanted to work with BoA-unnie. Let go of her Taeng..." Sunny coaxed.

"I...I can't do that Soonkyu. I..." Taeyeon hesitated. "I'll tell you next time. But one thing is for sure, I'm not letting manager Hwang get involved with BoA in any way. And if you know what's good for you Soonkyu. I'd say, keep your eyes open. Our BoA-unnie is not who she was before."

"But--" Sunny looked down to the floor. "well, both of you seemed like you changed but BoA seems to be the same. You also have been the same."

Taeyeon sighed aloud. "Three years can do so much on hallyu stars Soonkyu...or should I say Sunny, since you're also going to be like us."

"Anniyo." Sunny's lips finally curled into a smile, her legs wiggling playfully as she stretched. "You call me whatever you want Taeng. I don't mind."

"Sunny it is then." Taeyeon beamed. "Suits you well. Smart kid to think of that."

"Ah. No. Sooyoungie named me that when I dyed my hair blonde when I went to Japan. It stuck to me and everyone that's why I get to be called that way." Sunny recalled as she cheerily tossled her golden bobcut.

"You two look like more than friends too." Taeyeon nudged Sunny, winking at the same time. "You'd look good together."

Sunny's eyes widened, along with the hair at the back of her neck rising. "We do not Taeng! Seriously! I think you still have your fever!"

"Oh. alright. No need to be defensive." Taeyeon remarked as she pulled a pillow as her shield. "I was just saying."

Sunny's cheery disposition swiftly swayed to being serious again as she slumped her shoulders forward and stared into space in front of her. "I can't. I don't think I like her that way Taeng. Someone's been into my mind lately. And it's been bothering me."

"A guy?" Taeyeon asked, lowering the pillow.

"A girl, silly." Sunny glared back. "Why do you think me, you and BoA-unnie stuck together when we were trainees?"

"BoA?"

"As I was saying..." Sunny paused and fixed her eyes on Taeyeon. "I still think I'm in love with that person."

"Okay..." Taeyeon responded while Sunny just fidgeted on her seat at the edge. "Have you seen my phone?" Taeyeon asked as soon as she realized the awkward dead air between them.

"Oh. Yeah." Sunny said softly, then standing up to retrieve the device from her bedside drawer. "Here." Her gaze was almost evading Taeyeon's this time.

"Thanks."

Sunny held the phone on her palm and Taeyeon picked it up casually, their hands brushing naturally but to Sunny, it somehow meant more than that.

Taeyeon her phone. There wasn't enough battery left in it however she was able to obtain the messages and missed calls Tiffany sent her. As she brought her phone to her ear to listen to her voicemail, Taeyeon's face abruptly changed from calm to shock.

"Something wrong Taeng?" Sunny inquired, suddenly sensing the shift in Taeyeon's glassy gaze.

"I...I need to leave." Taeyeon said, almost stuttering. "Can I borrow a jacket from you?"

"I can lend you some proper clothes." Sunny said, rushing to her drawers and pulling out a pair of pants and a hoodie. "Is there something bad that had happened? You don't look good Taeng."

"A really good friend of mine got into an accident. I don't know what's her condition." Taeyeon said anxiously. 

"Oh my. I'm sorry to hear that. Do you want me to bring you to the hospital?" Sunny asked in a very concerned manner, handing Taeyeon both clothes.

"It's okay. I can handle this. You don't need to get involved Sunny. I already appreciate all the help you've given me."

"I understand Taeng but it's just that I'm just concerned. You're not that well yet. I could ask Sooyoung to drive us, I mean, drive you there."

"I’m good. I can drive.” Taeyeon mumbled. “I just need to get there fast.”

“Here. Get changed. Bathroom’s right outside, to the left.”

“Thanks Sunny.”

“No worries Taeng. Anytime.”

Taeyeon swiftly disappeared from the room and just about a minute later, Sooyoung entered, looking rather rugged like she had the roughest night in her entire life.

“Sooyoungie…” Sunny asked as she was cleaning out the desks and fixing the bed. “Where were you? You got me a bit worried.”

“Somewhere. Where’s Taeyeon?” Sooyoung wryly questioned, scouting the room.

“Bathroom. She’s about to leave. She needs to get to the hospital. Looks like somebody she knows had an emergency. Could you drive her?”

Sooyoung scoffed, tucking one hand in her jeans and the other pointing a finger at herself. “Do I look like a personal driver to her now?”

Sunny stared at Sooyoung, indignantly puzzled to her now abrasive behavior. “You could at least drive her. The person just got off a feve at the same time she needs to see someone in the hospital. Why so cold Sooyoungie?”

The taller one rolled her eyes once more. “Nothing. Fine. I’ll drive her if you want.”

“Were you two arguing because of me?”

Taeyeon was at the door holding on to neatly folded clothes that she was about to return to Sunny.

“No, Taeng. Not at all.” Sunny raised her hands, waving.

“Where to now, Taeyeon-ssi?” Sooyoung bluntly asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I’m ok. Thank you for your offer but really I’m fine.” Taeyeon said while handing over the clothes and retrieving the keys on top of the dresser. “I owe you one Manager Choi.”

"Oh, I think you owe me more than that Taeyeon-ssi." Sooyoung understatedly remarked, plopping herself back on her own bed. It was still a bit wet but she didn't seem to mind as she raised her arms over her head and used them to cushion her head against the wall.

"Well, thank you then." Taeyeon bowed lightly. "Sunny, I'll be off. I'll call you. And thanks for the clothes"

"Not at all." Sunny stood up as she changed her mind. "Wait, let me go with you." Taking a step forward, Sooyoung grabbed Sunny again by the elbow to stop her. 

"She said she's fine Sunny. Let her deal with whoever is in the hospital." 

Sunny looked down on the bunk bed where Sooyoung was. The latter was still looking aimlessly despite the vice grip.

Taeyeon did not wait a minute longer. Yuri needed her. She decided to leave without getting an acknowledgement from either of the two.

"She already left." Sooyoung reported, still not letting go of Sunny's hand. Sunny just stared down and questioned. "What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing." Sooyoung finally released. "So, did you tell her about her scandal pictures?"

Sunny was stunned. She totatlly forgot about informing Taeyeon about it. 

"Judging from how you look, you didn't." Sooyoung muttered. She lifted her whole body off the bed and plunged her hands into her pockets again, ready to leave the room. "Don't worry. I already took care of it."

"What do you mean you took care of it?" Sunny asked in surprise.

"It is what it is. I took care of it." Sooyoung once again nonchalantly said. "Now get ready, you still have training today. I don't wanna slack on my job."

"Sooyoungie..." Sunny clung on to Sooyoung's arm, hooking her own in the loop. "are you okay?"

Sooyoung pulled her hand briefly from her pocket and unhooked herself from Sunny's touch. The shorter gal just helplessly retreated her own hands to her sides, baffled. Sooyoung turned around and took a step again before replying coldly.

"Never been better Sunny."

 

 

=========================================

ok...this is it. sorry if i had messed things up! hope you enjoy this one. ^^

again, cheosonghamnida! *bow