Mornings after

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

"Uhggggghhhhhh". Oww. My head hurts so bad. What happened to me? I don't remember a thing.

"Sica, gwaenchannayo?"

"uggghhhhhh...anniyo. my head...hurts." I had too much to drink. Wait. Whose voice is that?

Jessica squinted her eyes as she brought her hand up her right hand to her head. She massaged her temple and looked at the person before her. A disfigured vision of a person was sitting right at the end of the couch with his or her arm positioned on the backrest. Jessica still couldn't figure out who it was. Her vision was as blurry as the porch windows on the morning of a winter day.

The tall figure scooted forward and reached for the glass of water on the wooden mini table. She slouched back and handed the drink to Jessica who was still shaking her head.

"Here, drink some water. Hope it makes you feel better."

Jessica reached out for the glass. She drank the contents in one gulp with her eyes closed. She was parched like the Sahara desert and was asking for more. She moved to her side and placed the glass on the side table next to a small black modern lamp. The tanned girl stood up and transferred seats unto the wooden coffee table so she would be right across Jessica. She leaned in and tucked a stray strand of blonde hair behind Jessica's ear. She then gave Jessica a quaint smile and leaned back.

"Thanks. Nugu seyo?" Jessica asked as she tried to clarify her vision by rubbing her eyes.

"It's me Sica." The one in front of her introduced back. "It's Yuri."

Jessica blinked again a few more times and realized that the girl before her was someone very familiar. She met her at the gallery and last night at the club. At the club. At L club! What happened at the club? I can't recall. All I remember was I was talking to Yuri.

Jessica took a quick look of Yuri from head to toe. She was in a loose XXL white Mickey mouse shirt, the neckline dangling off one shoulder revealing the strap of a black sportsbra. Her right leg was crossed over the other, revealing her caramel thighs and she was now leaning over her with left elbow on her knee.  Her hand was on her chin as she just stared back at Jessica. 

The frail girl folded her knees up and grabbed the blanket to cover her chest. She was embarassed to be seen by Yuri. Her gaze parried from Yuri's line of sight and wandered off to her surroundings. She saw that she was in a small condominium unit. It wasn't her place for sure since it was a bit smaller and it was powder blue everywhere. It reminds one of heaven, if that's how it'd look like. Even the ceiling was wallpapered to resemble the skies.

"Yuri-ah, oediseo...where...where are we?", Jessica asked.

"We're at my place. You fell asleep last night from drinking." Yuri replied.

"I don't remember anything Yuri-ah. I saw you at the dancefloor, then we talked, we drank and-----" Jessica paused. "ah, I can't remember. Did I pass out?"

Yuri's expression changed rapidly, her brows furrowed in question. "You don't remember anything after we drank?"

Jessica pressed the blanket down to her lap and tilted her head to the side, trying her best to remember anything after drinking. "Anniyo. Why? What happened? Did I do anything? Did we---"

The younger woman dropped her arm from her chin and exhaled deeply. Wow, she doesn't remember at all. She was that drunk? Wait, maybe she's pretending. Is she? Did my radar really mess up this time? Crap! I knew it...Damn Yuri...She's straight?!

"Anniyo Sica. Nothing happened. You fell asleep while we were talking. I probably bored you to death talking about my profession." Yuri quickly replied, hiding the truth from the princess. She was starting to really get disappointed as she repeatedly convinced herself that she fell for a straight girl. 

"Really? I just fell asleep? Oh, my head's all blurry." Jessica groaned.

"Yeah..that was exactly what happened..." Yuri lied again, frowning this time. Even though Jessica was straight as she believed, Yuri felt a bit hurt. How could one simply forget the little that happened. Every single detail of it replayed in Yuri's mind like an old movie in the 60's as she put up a fraud smile for the princess. 

"I'm sorry for sleeping on you. I really must have had too much to drink.", Jessica apologized as she looked down to the palm of her hands.

Yeah. I guess too much to drink...Aish..Yuri-ah..I guess you really are getting rusty at this... Yuri thought and somewhat rolled her eyes. Nonetheless, she took Jessica's hand and patted it like a friend would do.

"Anniyo. I'm glad you're fine now. I'd also like to apologize for not taking you home. I didn't know where you lived and I couldn't find any information in your bag last night so I figured that I'd just bring you over here at my place until you sobered up."

Jessica glanced back up and saw Yuri's face. She was full of concern and it touched her heart knowing how this person in front of her cared that way.

"Thanks Yuri-ah. I'll repay you in some way in the future." Jessica brought her hand up to her chest. Wait! Something is missing. My necklace!?!

Yuri noticed the worried expression on Jessica's face and she realized she was clutching for something on her chest. She stretched her leg and took something out of her shorts' pocket. Yuri took Jessica's hand, unfurled the blonde's fingers and placed the lotus pendant with its broken chain on the soft smooth palm.

"Are you looking for that? I'm sorry, the chain got broken. It ripped when I was trying to carry you back to my car." Yuri again lied. So much for being honest now Yuri-ah. Jessica actually broke the necklace when she was thrashing violently last night after she dropped on the couch. Yuri found the necklace on the couch in the VIP room when she lifted Jessica to take her home.

"Oh. Thanks. It's---- It's fine." Jessica lifted the chain and tried to clip it back together.

"I know someone who works with jewelry. I can have that chain fixed if you want." Yuri suggested, although she was reluctant seeing Jessica treasured the necklace too much.

"It's alright Yuri. It's broken. I think it's meant to be broken." Jessica gave up and sighed. She dropped the necklace to her side and it slid right next to her thigh.

"You said you cherish that necklace a lot. I'm....a bit curious. Why?", Yuri asked and swiftly added. "If you don't mind me asking."

Jessica closed her palm and gripped on the necklace by her side. She hasn't told anyone about it but she felt like she owed Yuri an explanation especially after the way Yuri had looked after her last night. Jessica took a deep breath and looked at Yuri eye to eye.

"It's from my previous relationship."

"My partner gave this to me on our anniversary."

"It was a reminder. So I won't forget." 

"Her name."

 

 

Jessica's voice trailed off as she tried to explain everything in the most concise way she could without tearing up. It was the past, it should be buried and be forgotten. She loosened her grip and let go of the necklace. It was time to move on. Move on to someone else. Maybe. Just maybe...move on...to...Yuri.

"But that's the past. It's broken now. It's time I move on."

Yuri was just silent as she listened to Jessica. Her head hung low as she contemplated her situation and Jessica's past. She didn't ask any further. She wasn't sure she'd like to hear anymore from Jessica's ex. However, strangely, her ears were ringing. Her name. Her.... her?

"Sica", Yuri raised her head and her brow. "Her? You mean...you're..you know...L...I mean..you like women?".

Jessica's face was blank then it lit up. A second ago, she was close to crying but now, her frown had changed to a smirk. C'mon Yuri. You're not that dumb are you?

The tiny-framed blonde changed to a squatting position and raised her fist to her cheeks while leaning over with her elbows on both her thighs.

"Are you kidding me Yuri? Seriously? How dense can you be?", Jessica teased. She was now laughing contrary to the serious and depressing woman before. "Why would I be hanging out at that club if I was not? And why would I have invited you to the VIP room?"

"Who are you calling dumb? I just thought... I mean...you said last night...your friend just owns the club and....and you just hang out there...so I...aish jinja Sica?!" Yuri stammered so much that she turned red out of embarrasment. She was a freaking player but she wasn't sure about Jessica. She had already convinced herslef that Jessica was straight.

I guess your gaydar's not yet broken Yuri.

Jessica threw her head back in laughter. "Omo. you're so cute Yuri-ah. You thought I wasn't? My, I'd take that as a compliment though." Jessica was now smiling like a little kid.

This is way better than seeing her cry like last night.

"Aish! For a second I thought you were really straight. I really thought I had lost touch as a player..." Yuri exclaimed as she brought her arms behind her head, then she realized her tongue just slipped again.

"Oh. so you're a player?" Jessica said while crossing her arms on her chest. "No wonder you liked it so much in the middle of the dance floor."

"Anniyo. I didn't mean it that way." Yuri was silenced again and flustered like a tomato. "But seriously, you don't remember anything after drinking?"

"Nope. Sorry... my memory gets hazy when I go for hard liquor. Why Yuri-ah? Did I do something to you? Did we...uhmm...you know..." Jessica's voice trailed off strating to get embarassed.

"Anni. No nothing like that. You just really fell asleep." Yuri denied. She'd rather have them start on a clean slate.

"Oh...okay..good then." Jessica giggled.

At that moment, Yuri's phone rang with Ciara's 1, 2 step. Yuri took this opportunity to excuse herself and save face from Jessica. Jessica just continued giggling at Yuri as she laid her head back on the couch.

 

"Yoboseyo? Yup...Hyo? What's up?", Yuri greeted on the phone.

"Yah. Yuri-ah. Where'd you disappear last night? Did you hook up with a girl again? huh? Playa?!!! So did you get some?"

"Anniyo!" Yuri shouted back and glanced at Jessica. The frail girl was starting to fall asleep again. "I didn't and I'm not a player anymore, okay?"

"Aish...Arasso. Hey, get your at SMent. I just a call this morning from a friend. It's a huge request so I got a job for you. They need some choreographers and dancers for an upcoming concert. I already recommended you. You cool with that?"

"Concert? With who?" Yuri asked.

"Uhmmm...I don't know yet. Nic and I are going to be there in 15 minutes. They'll tell us once we get there."

"Oh..ok then. Sure, count me in. I'll be there in an hour, I just need to send somebody home first", Yuri whispered back since it might wake Jessica.

"Ho ho ho! I thought you didn't get some? Liar! You did hook up with a girl! Woohooo! Once a player always a playa!"

"Darn it Hyo. You're so going to get some from me later. Go...I'll see you in a while. Bye!" Yuri ended the call even before Hyo could reply back.

Yuri breathed deeply and composed herself. She just hated it when Hyo so much. Going back to the business at hand, Yuri nudged Jessica softly and the sleepy princess woke up again. "Jessica, I'll take you home. I have to go somewhere for work. I mean you're welcome to stay here if you wanted to but I'll have to leave."

Jessica sat back up and stretched her arms. "I'll go home. I need to go to the gallery too. I'm expecting some investors also for the project I have in mind. Thanks for taking care of me last night. I'll make it up again to you."

"Nah. You're fine Sica. It's what friends do." Yuri replied.

Jessica tilted her head and immediately pouted, slightly confused. "Friends?"

"Ughhmm...yeah..." Yuri swallowed hard. She didn't know if she'd just go for it.

"Oh...that's disappointing then..." Sica mumbled but Yuri wasn't able to catch a word she said.

The blue Prius stopped at the alley right next to a sophisticated residential building. Jessica unbuckled the seatbelt from the passenger's side and faced Yuri. She took the lotus pendant and its broken chain out of her bag and gave it to Yuri. The tanned girl was surprised but she didn't resist as she held the silver pieces.

"Why are you giving this to me? This is from your ex." Yuri felt a bit irritated. "I mean, sure, we're friends...but why do you give this to me?"

"I know. I'm letting you keep it. Actually, do anything you want with it. Today, I decided to forget her name. I've moved on." Jessica smiled while explaining. "It's time I let go of her and find somebody else. Well, actually, I think I've found somebody else."

"Mwo? What do you exactly mean?" Yuri furrowed her brows, still unable to catch what Jessica was implying.

"Plus I already have something far more important than that piece of jewelry." Jessica added quickly while scrolling on her phone. She opened up the first message Yuri ever sent her and faced the phone to Yuri.

 

To: Jessica Jung

<3

From: Kwon Yuri a.k.a Miss Lily

 

 

 

"Yuri....Your HEART."

 

 

 

 

Jessica snatched a peck on Yuri's cheek and hurriedly exited the car. She ran up to the building's entrance and waved goodbye before finally disappearing into the rotating glass doors. 

Yuri had a big grin on her face and she slowly turned the engine back on to drive to her next destination. "Now I get it...I guess we're not just friends anymore...Sica. Ah Yuri-ah, you're whipped."

-----------------------------------------

"5, 6, 7, 8........and one! SLIDE! STEP BACK! two! PUSH! HANDS IN THE AIR! Three! AND JUMP!!!"

Taeyeon was shouting harshly as she danced hard with the juniors. Her back-up dancers were trying their best to catch up with her but the sweating hallyu star was loaded with lithium and nickel batteries.

It was just 8 in the morning and they were already exhausted. They all felt like deflated balloons as one by one fell back into the shiny polished wooden dancefloor. They've never seen Taeyeon so enthusiastic with practice. Well, too enthusiastic! She's driving them nuts!

"YAH! WHY ARE YOU GUYS SUCH A BUNCH OF SLOWPOKES!", Taeyeon turned around and took the remote controller to stop the music.

"Taeyeon-ssi. *huff huff. 5 minute *huff huff break *huff huff please...", one of the dancers said and the others shook their head in agreement.

Suddenly, the doors to the practice room flung wide open and a raging woman entered the hall like a fire breathing dragon.

"YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! KIM TAEYEON!"

Taeyeon turned around and saw her beloved manager, nose flaring, eyes squinted, face red and shoulders drooped. She stiffled a laugh knowing she's in for another warfare.

"Wae?" Taeyeon replied nonchalantly as she wiped her face with a towel.

The other dancers took this as an opportunity to escape Taeyeon as they all stood up and snuck out of the room to get a break. Taeyeon threw her towel at the dancers. "YAH! Where the heck are you all going?!"

Tiffany swiveled Taeyeon back to face her and then shouted to her face. "What did you just text me earlier? How the hell did I lose to the bet?!"

"You slept." Taeyeon replied while closing one eye after being shouted at. 

"You slept in the middle of the show. We had a deal. I said if you'd endure me three times, I'd lose and be your slave for 7 days. You failed phase 3."

Tiffany argued back. "So what if I slept! I still woke up at the end of it!"

"Yeah. I woke you up since you were already snoring." Taeyeon simpered. "Give up Manager Hwang. you lost. fair and square"

"ANDWAEE! I demand a rematch!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------