Press-ure conference

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

A well-sized auditorium was decorated with posters and signboards for a special star's pre-concert showcase. A large draping tarpaulin showing Taeyeon's rocker devil's cry album cover served as a backdrop for the elevated platform. In front of about 50 or more chairs allocated for the media was a long table covered with black and white drapery. Flower arrangements bedecked the plain corners of the makeshift stage and microphones were installed both on the stretched table and the podium.  

One by one, different members of the media world arrived into the official SMent conference room for promotions. Reporters, writers, bloggers, magazine editors and photographers prepared their notebooks, laptops and dSLR cameras as they waited for the press conference to begin. Some staff from several broadcasting stations, both news and entertainment alike also have set-up their own rolling cameras and VJs had flooded the floor. Some MCs and interviewers had also written up skits and have recorded some spills into their own cameras to give a slight preview of the anticipated event. Everyone was just all busy busling over the minute details of the open press interview.

One room adjacent to the auditorium, make-up artists worked on beautifying the celebrated hallyu star while stylists went back and forth the racks to secure the best possible combination of clothes for Kim Taeyeon. The production team also gave Taeyeon a list of cards containing possible questions on the concert and how they would like to have the event sold out to the public. The press conference this time was slightly different from the ones conducted before since a section of the interview was opened up for queries involving the star that may or may not be related to the promotions.

"Do you really think this looks nice, manager Hwang?" Taeyeon asked, pointing to her hair which was dyed into a caramel butter chestnut hue, opposed to the original blonde highlighted black locks she had before.

"Huh?" Tiffany answered back with a question, too nervous about other matters and peeked at the door.

"I said is this ok?" Taeyeon smugged seeing that Tiffany wasn't really paying much attention. She viewed herself in a hand-held mirror and checked her appearance.

"Yapuda Taeyeon-ssi" the hairstylist answered for Tiffany,"it really fits you well, this will surprise your fans".

The hairstylist continued on ironing some curls into Taeyeon's side fringes and she pulled the rest into a low ponytail, leaving her bangs flowing on the sides of her face. Her look reminded anyone with the greek goddess, Athena.

"Oh. gureyo unnie?" Taeyeon responded smiling, glad that at least someone talked back to her. "Kamsamnida"

The hairstylist paused, nodded and awkwardly smiled back to the hallyu star. The one doing Taeyeon's make-up pulled away from her work for a second and looked at the hairstylist and then Taeyeon. That was the first time in the past 6 concerts that she heard Taeyeon converse with them in a soft manner. In the past, when they'd do her styling, she'd either ignore their work or peruse it coldly. This time she was warming up to them.

"Jiyoon-unnie, are you okay?" Taeyeon asked referring to the make-up artist.

"Ah, yeah. Taeyeon-ssi, you look like a goddess with this color. You're paper-white skin tone really compliments your other features." the make-up artist praised as she continued drawing in the eyeliner.

"I only look beautiful thanks to both of you unnies" Taeyeon chuckled, "but I thought we were going for the rocker concept? What's with this goddess look? Tired of me being grouchy?"

Again, both older women were surprised with the sudden gratitude and joke. They responded to Taeyeon and casually chatted with her while they finished up their work. When they packed up, they both admired their creation. They like this look way better than the old dark grungy concept. The image also shone better since Taeyeon's warmer attitude went really well with this compassionate look.

Taeyeon rose from the chair and ironed her black wool shorts out. She picked up the navy blue blazer and topped it over the polka dot copper polo and wine-colored charcoal knitted vest.  Her overall look was chic and professional, totally refreshing over an emo concept. Tiffany looked back from the door to which more than fifty media men had already assembled and then to Taeyeon who was more than ready to pull up the interviews. Taeyeon noticed her manager gaze her way so she walked up to her slowly.

"Well? How is it? How do I look?" Taeyeon asked.

"Much better than before" Tiffany replied then she rubbed her own elbow and clutched her clipboard.

"Manager Hwang, are you really that nervous?" Taeyeon said, amused by the wriggling lady who was wearing such comfortable clothes, a white cotton V-neck shirt with a black blazer over some tattered jeans.

"Huh? Oh. Ne." Tiffany replied absentmindedly and fanned herself with the clipboard.

Taeyeon chuckled and nudged Tiffany. "What are you nervous for? I'm the one who'll do the interview. All you'll do is stand on the side. And don't worry, I got this. I've done over 10 concerts already. This promotion thing is like a piece of cake."

"Mwo? Yah. If you mess up, it's my head on the chopping board." Tiffany snided at Taeyeon's overconfidence. "Don't be too cocky MS. hallyu star."

"Arasso. I won't do anything stupid like that." Tayeon mumbled as she made some final adjustments to her outfit. Tiffany heard what Taeyon had said but she wasn't able to think of anything to reply back. It felt weird having Taeyon at her disposal. They haven't really argued that much for days now and they've even become friendlier towards each other. Whatever it was that was going between the two of them, Taeyeon and Tiffany only could thanks the heavens for things going through smoothly.

The public relations officer of SMent peeked in through the dressing room door and asked Tiffany for a signal. Tiffany made an okay sign and the MC for the press conference started welcoming their guests, his voice bursting through the speakers. A moment before Taeyeon's name was called, Tiffany noticed the collar of Taeyeon's polo curl up. She approached Taeyeon and raised her hands around the hallyu star, almost similar to the act of embracing her. Taeyeon was surprised with the action to which she blushed profusely. She almost hugged back until she sensed that Tiffany actually meant to arrange her collar and nothing else.

"Good luck Taeyeon. Fighting" Tiffany whispered and cutely fist pumped, cheering for the shorter gal.

Aaaaaahhhh! Cute Tiffany! Ok Taeyeon. Focus. C'mon. huff huff. breathe in breathe out. wax on. wax off. Time to face the tigers! Seriously now, you have to make sure you don't blow this off.

"Ne. Thanks Manager Hwang."

Taeyeon smiled broadly and walked off to the platform to where she'll have her press conference. She stood before the table and instantly, flashes of light came one after another. All cameras panned and zoomed at Taeyeon's overall look. Reporters immediately scribbled on their pads and typed away in their laptops. Taeyeon slightly squinted from the bursts of light and felt like she was drowning in a sea of camera clicks and buzzes from the crowd of mediamen. All were pleasantly shocked with Taeyeon's new image and the photoshooting went on for another two minutes with Taeyeon occasionally smiling and waving her hand.

Smile! Smile! Huhuhu...my cheeks are getting tired. Oh..and waaaaaaaavvvvveeeee! Oh man, I'm in such a good mood. I haven't had such enjoyable time getting int conferences before.

The PRO of SMent finally signalled Taeyeon to take a seat behind the table and gestured the crowd to settle down to start the official interview. Reporters noisily positioned themselves and VJs went on and continued rolling their films. Taeyeon sat down and then checked the volume of her microphone which was installed in front. She looked from left to right, surveying the crowd and found familiar faces who've done this sort of job for the past years  as she had experienced in the entertainment business. On the corner of her vision, she also spotted Tiffany on the side of the stage listing down some stuff on her clipboard. Taeyeon smiled towards her direction and Tiffany, who surprisingly saw it, waved back in encouragement. 

*sigh..Watch me closely manager Hwang! Do take care of me.

Seeing that everyone seemed to have settled, the PRO stood behind the podium and started emceeing for the conference. "Ah Modeun bundeul hwan-yonghabnida... Welcome everyone. I see we have guests from different leagues of the press. Kamsamnida for acknowledging our invitation. Today is a special event personally conducted by SM entertainment company for Ms. Kim Tayeon's  fifth Korean concert. We would like to welcome everyone as we wish to promote the Korean wave, commonly known to us as "hallyu", to our Korean audience as well as foreign. So without further adieu, I'll transfer the honor of this event to the one and only, our 2nd BoA, a new and rising "hallyu star", Ms. Kim Taeyeon." 

Ugh. Why do you always call me 2nd BoA? I'm sick of that line! Haven't I proven myself enough?

"Kamsamnida. Thank you for coming everyone. It's a pleasure to see you again. I'm so happy to be back in Korea.", Taeyeon started and the crowd clapped at Taeyeon's enthusiasm. 

"I'm here before everyone again to promote my solo concert, my fifth one, this coming 2 weeks, March 1 and 2 (Saturday and Sunday) at Seoul's Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium. 8'oclock in the evening. I hope to see everyone there. " Taeyeon said, confidently, not missing one detail about her event. "It's nice to see everyone well and healthy. Ughmm...I gues we could start with the questions."

Again, camera clicks and flashes raided the star after she promoted. Preset reporters that were lined up in front were designated accordingly and were allowed to ask her questions about her upcoming concert. The first reporter raised his hand and Taeyeon nodded for him to start.

"Ah, Taeyeon-ssi. I wish you well for your fifth concert. I belive it'll be a huge success, too. But before I continue with my question. I'd like to also congratulate you for your last performance in Bangkok Thailand. You had great reviews on that. Really great job. Chukahamnida." an ahjussi magazine writer felicitated.

"Ne. Kamsamnida. I thank my Thai fans for supporting me that time. I really had a good time in Bangkok and hopefully, in the future, I'd get to perform there again."

"Ah. ne." The ahjussi replied and continued to his question."Taeyeon-ssi..."

"Ne."

"This is your fifth concert in Korea, correct? And obviously you've performed in other places also in Asia, which were I guess first time experiences for you. How does it feel to have your concert again back here?"

"Oh. Thank you for your question. Well..." Taeyeon contemplated for a brief moment before continuing. "Ughmm...It's quite different out in other countries. The fans behave different from my Korean audience. They both cheer for me which I thank for deeply but something about performing for your own countrymen makes it more appealing. The audience, nevertheless, wherever I go gives me the energy to perform. I'm looking forward to the cheers from my Korean fans."

"I believe your fas will cheer loudly Ms. Kim. Kamsamnida."

Taeyeon giggled. "Ah, yes...thank you."

The questioning then moved on to the next person and Taeyeon recognized the next reporter.

Uwa! It's that unnie again! She's always here when I do my press cons. Glad to see a familiar face.

"Ms. Kim Taeyeon. Hi, it's me again. Nice to see you. Love your look by the way." an older female reporter greeted. She praised Taeyeon which earned a few chuckles from the other peers. "Ehem..anyway, Ms. Kim, since you've finished you tour in Asia and doing one again for Korea. Is there something new that the audience should expect from this upcoming one? We're curious if you've been working on something."

"Thank you unnie. I'd like thank my image team for this look I have now. I can recommend them to you after the press conference. I'm sure you'll love them." Tayeon paused and giggled which the media found also surprising since Taeyeon was tremendously serious with conferences before.

"Well, as for your question. The answer is yes! I have a special number that a few good friends of mine have collaborated. It's a twist on a dramatic ballroom dance. We've been working on it for the past days and I hope I could surprise the fans with this number."

"A dance number? Wait, isn't it that you do your own choreography for all your numbers? Why the sudden change? Who teamed up with you this time?" the female reporter followed up.

"Ah. I did that in the past but this time I got fresh ideas from Kim Hyoyeon, Nicole Jung and Kwon Yuri, several of the elite choreographers in the industry." Taeyeon boasted, hoping her now closer friends would be touched when they hear about this. "I think the fans would like it very much to see another side of me."

Oh yeah! That's a shout-out for you Hyonic couple and Yuri-buddy!

Tiffany in the corner was clapping silently, immensely proud that Taeyeon took the time to acknowledge her friends.

"Indeed. We'll be anticipating for it then. Thank you. Ms. Kim! Fighting!" the reporter cheered, again earning her some more laughter from the crowd.

"Next please."

This time, a young lad who was certainly a bit younger in age as compared to Taeyeon, started another question. Tiffany intently watched the younger guy and found herself smirking at him. Taeyeon checked him out and realized he was more of a highschooler than someone in their twenties.

What's a kid doing in this kind of field. Is he crazy?

"Hi Ms. Kim. A good day to everyone also in the press. Park Jongkyu imnida. I'm an internet blogger for entertainment sites." The young lad stood up and bowed earnestly to everyone before going back to his seat."Before I give my query..ughmm..Ms. Kim, would it be alright if I call you noona?"

"Ne. Sure go ahead." Taeyeon smiled which made the young blogger blush. "I don't mind at all." Tiffany rolled her eyes at that moment.

"Ah kamsamnida noona! ok. uhmm. I've been following your rise to fame Taeyon-noona and know very well that  Korean artists like you promote Korean culture thus making you what we call "hallyu" stars. However, there's one female soloist who debuted before you, Ms. Kwon BoA, and is usually dubbed by most netizens as the original hallyu star since she made it big before you. Noona, how do you feel about that? I mean, even your management introduces you as the 2nd BoA. Taeyeon-noona do you feel inferior when you're compared to her like when you're doing concerts?" the young man said causing the whole conference to silence.

Hmpff. I could literally bite your head off now little bro! 

Taeyeon awkwardly put up a smile since nobody had dared to ask such a straightforward question before. She bit her lower lip and replied as honest as she could. Her manager on the side clutched the clipboard to her chest and listened closely to what Taeyeon would have to say. Taeyeon usually had short words when it came to discussing about BoA-ssi and their first meeting at the hallway weeks ago wasn't really a good start for conversations.

"Ne. Thank you for raising that up kid. Noone has dared to ask that question before. I'm glad you did." Taeyeon praise the yound reporter. "BoA was an unnie who trained with me in the past and the management debuted her before I did. She was the first to break the Asian borders that's why the whole hallyu wave started. I debuted not long after she did so it was expected that I'd be compared to her since we come from the same company. However, I wouldn't like to see it as a comparison. Instead, I'd like to view it as a healthy competition between artists with a variety of talents. I wish not to be known under BoA-unnie's shadow and be known instead for who I am and what I'm good at. I also hope the fans like some netizens would understand that. I'm only doing my job. BoA and I are different."

"Kamsamnida noona."

Wow. I smacked that question down. Take that BoA!

Several of the reporters clapped their hands and applauded Taeyeon for her confident answer. Tiffany smiled sheepishly and admired Taeyeon's composure even though she remembered how Taeyeon shredded BoA's poster on their first meet. On the next list, another guy in his probably late thirties questioned the hallyu star.

"Taeyeon-sii. Going back to your concert, is there a list that you have already prepared for the songs you're going to perform? Will you include only your songs or you'll be singing some foreign ones, too or songs composed by other artists?"

"Hmmm...uhmm...for this concert, I'll be singing both songs composed by myself and those from others. It's a pretty well mix of everything. Since my album, "Devil's cry" is still also out in the market, I'd be singing the famous singles out of it, too. I hope everyone would go out and buy the album or download my singles. Thank you. Hopefully in the future concerts, I'd be able to collaborate more with other artists. I'll have to ask about it from my management but let's all hope for the best."

"I have your album myself." the samchon fan proudly said. "Kamsamnida for answering, Taeyeon-ssi!"

"Gureyo? I'll sign it for you after the conference if you'd want to." Taeyeon offered, giggling again. The reporters jotted notes and looked at Taeyeon with a weird expression of satisfaction.

The PRO interrupted the conference briefly to say a few words. This was the most anticipated portion of the event since anyone from the audience was given a chance to raise issues concerning the hallyu star.

"Okay. For the next five minutes, we'll give a free pass for the other people of the press to ask Ms. Kim questions. Please remain calm so that everyone who'd like to talk would have enough time to do so. Ok. yorobun, the five minutes start now." 

Oh my god! They're all scary! ok. Now, which one? Eenie minnie, miny...moe....hmmmm...

Taeyeon had to pick from the press on who she shall answer to. The whole crowd started to get on their heels and raised their hands excitedly hoping that Taeyeon would choose them. Some of the reporters were even waving their hands trying to get Taeyeon's attention. The quite terrified hallu star examined the whole spread of the press and noticed a short and plump ahjussi on the side who was looking kind of innocent. Taeyeon pointed towards him and the PRO gave him a microphone.

"Uhhh...kam-kamsam-nida M-mm-ms. Kim." he stuttered as he brought up a piece of paper for his question.

"Ne. Ahjussi. Please go on."

"Ne. M-m-ms. Kim...ughmm..for the past 4-5 years you've been in the m-m-music industry as well as entering s-s-some commercials and endorsements. I've n-n-noticed that not a single m-m-man has been linked with you. W-w-would you care to explain this?" the fat guy inquired, stammering.

The whole press became silent again. Taeyeon's eyes widened and her heart had picked up a pace.

Wow. Nice pick Taeyeon. How could I explain that?

Taeyeon snorted and smiled. Her gaze scanned the audience tensely and she started to answer. "I-I-I really don't know. I guess no guy has ever attempted anything? hehehe...anniyo. Seriously, I guess I was just too focused on my career and didn't have the time for that stuff."

I have to be careful with what I say. . Why are they asking me these questions now?

"Taeyeon-ssi! Do you have anything against guys? We've received some leaked information that you had a problem again with your manager! They said you got in an argument and he gave up on you. From your records, there wasn't a single guy who managed to go beyond 3 months in handling you. Do you hate your managers that much? Or you just don't like being around guys?" a huge guy bellowed to follow-up with the fat guy's question.

The heck? I thought SMent was able to cover that for me. How did these guys get hold of such information?

Taeyeon nervously looked at the PRO and he just shook his head sideways, signalling Taeyeon to ignore the question. However, Taeyeon knew this issue would just pile up if she didn't answer so she decided to put out the fire once and for all.

"I don't hate guys and I don't hate managers. The SM management just gives a rotation of people that could work with me so everyone else could have an experience in management especially when dealing with something outside Korea. My management just wants the best for their artists as well as their managers. I think you're jumping too much into conclusions, sir."

You definitely owe me big time SMent CEO!

The crowd nodded in unison as they believed every word that Taeyeon said. Another sneeky and obnoxious guy raised his voice without waiting for Taeyeon to pick another reporter that would ask.

"Taeyeon-ssi. Are you sure you don't hate us guys? I hear your preference is someone more of your type?"

"Ehem..excuse me sir. What would you mean by that?" Taeyeon politely asked even though she was starting boil inside.

What the hell? Why are they assaulting me now?

"Nothing really Taeyeon-ssi. There were rumors before that you were dating somebody. But as the kind ahjussi said earlier, you weren't linked to any guy. So now, I assume that the person you dated was of the same gender. Would it be hard to believe that the hallyu star Kim Taeyeon-ssi would actually be gay?" the paparazzi taunted.

You bastard!

The whole room became quiet and were all taken aback. Some of the reporters started murmurring. All cameras focused on Taeyeon's reactions. Consecutive snaps of photos filled the air.

All this image protection is bull. 

"Sir. Please take your question back. I believe your accusations are false" Taeyeon said firmly and was about to take off from her seat.

Take it back old man or you'll see the devil yourself.

"Well, let me rephrase it then. Would you like to explain these pictures?"

Pictures? What pictures?

He then laid out  some pictures on his table, the size of a short folder. He raised one of the pictures and showed it blatantly to Taeyeon. It was a picture of her and Tiffany at the laser light show back in the amusement park. It was a capture shot of Taeyeon laying Tiffany's head on her shoulder. They really looked like a couple from the shot. The rest of the pictures on the table were also portraits  of her and Tiffany at the Gyro drop. Another one was when they were undressing as the mascots for the kiddie show and another when they shared a popsicle together. All of them insinuating a gay relationship.

.

Everyone else who had their cameras started taking snapshots of the laid out photos, excited with the new material and scandal they could write up. The guy who raised the issue wore a very satisfied expression on his face as he glared at Taeyeon. The PRO and some representatives of the SMent were shaking their heads on the side. The PD of the concert was mouthing what seemed to be curses from afar. Some of the staff for the conference were signalling other members to cut the interviewing.

Should I just come out clean? or out the closet? . Tiffany! Where's Tiffany? She doesn't deserve this!

Taeyeon's eyes were wide open and blood drained from her face. She just sat there in front of the doubting crowd, frozen. She couldn't speak. More so, she couldn't think of how she could explain to Tiffany the shoulder sleeping incident. She wanted to declare to everyone that it was nothing but her heart keeps saying otherwise. She likes Tiffany and saying that there's nothing special about it is just like lying to herself and everyone else. She wants to tell Tiffany that she, Kim Taeyeon, actually likes her...

But does she like me the same way? If not, it'll be the end of me and my career. Damn it!

Taeyeon just had a glassy expression on her face, ready to break at any moment.

I'm sick of lying about my true self. It's now or never. I should just conf------

Tiffany saw the pictures. She was mildly shocked that Taeyeon actually took the opportunity during the laser light show to get a chance with her. She could only smile as she convinced herself that Taeyeon might actually have feelings for her. 

Suddenly a figure stood before Taeyeon and snatched the microphone on the table. The mic gave a out a screeching sound, a feedback from being too near to the speakers. The press individuals irked in their seats and stopped taking pictures when they noticed a brunette lady in cotton shirt and jeans that stood in front of the hallyu star.

T-T-Tiffany?

"Everyone. Hwang Miyoung imnida. I am Ms. Kim Taeyeon's new manager" Tiffany shouted to the microphone and bowed 90 degrees to the crowd. She was trembling since she wasn't really used to talking to a big crowd, much more to people of the press. She was just standing in the corner earlier but Tiffany couldn't take it any longer as she saw Taeyeon tortured by the old guy pressing the scandal. Tiffany already knew that Taeyeon was gay but she also knew there was a risk in exposing such a tender issue. She had to defend Taeyeon in any way! Not just as her manager but as someone who really cares for her too.

"It's the girl in the pictures with Taeyeon-ssi." one of the female writers gasped.

The attention of the media people shifted from the pictures to the girl in front. Only the sounds of pens scribbling and keyboards typing could be heard and a hundred flashes of camera lights started to rain in sight.

Taeyeon just stared at her manager's back as she heard her speak again into the microphone. The hallyu star couldn't even extend her hand to stop Tiffany. She was still frozen and couldn't figure out what to do.

What is she doing?

"Everyone. I'd like to clarify those photos just now on behalf of my client. Yes... That's me beside Ms. Kim Taeyeon in the pictures. Uhmmm... Since I've only stayed in the managing career for about 2 or 3 years now, my abilities are still lacking when it comes to Korean industry. I recently became Ms. Kim's manager since the agency wanted some rotation with some interns from the US branch. Since we just met, things were naturally awkward in the beginning so Ms. Kim requested me to take her to an amusement park so we could bond with each other. Seeing that Ms. Kim hadn't had the time to enjoy herself and couldn't plan vacations abroad or somewhere, I spent an afternoon with her alone in the theme park. As her manager, I sympathized her situation and went along. I hope you see that Ms. Kim Taeyeon just wanted some time to enjoy life a bit like a normal person since being a hallyu star isn't easy at all. Ms. Kim has really taken good care of me and I hope you do the same. I hope I get to work with everyone else better in the future. Kamsamnida."

Tiffany bowed again to the crowd of press people and gave a charming eye-smile. The writers stopped writing and the photographers stopped taking pictures as they all nodded and understood all that Tiffany meant. Ooohs and aahs resonated in the room as the reporters resumed their work. The staff, PD and the PRO of SMent all gave thumbs up to Tiffany while the obnoxious paparazzi guy took his pictures and tore them in frustration.

Taeyeon was able to snap herself back to reality as she took in all the words that Tiffany had said. She bent her head, staring at her own legs, trying to stop a clear liquid from flowing from her eyes. 

Tiffany. Gomawo...thank you...I--I couldn't express how thankful I am to you.

The PRO took the microphone and interrupted the whole unexpected scene. "That ends our press conference for Ms. Kim Taeyeon's fifth concert. We won't be giving out anymore interviews with Ms. Kim. Please understand. Again. SMent with Kim Taeyeon Devil's cry concert on March 1 and 2 at the Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium. Please promote it well. Kamsamnida for coming everyone. Thank you and have a pleasant day."

The press people stood up from their seats and the different broadcasting personnel started wrapping up their materials. Tiffany quickly placed back the microphone on the table and circled around the bend to be beside Taeyeon. She knelt right next to the hallyu star, worried.

"Taeyeon, gwaenchanna?" Tiffany asked as she grabbed Taeyeon's hands that were neatly laid out above her thighs.

Taeyeon's head still hung low as she uttered only one thing.

"Gomawo..."

A tear dropped on top of Tiffany's hand and without thinking twice, the female manager hugged her hallyu star. Taeyeon broke into sobs and Tiffany just held her tight for a few more minutes before they got escorted back into the dressing room.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ah. my heart was aching when i wrote this :(