I Resign

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

Yuri arrived at Taeyeon's villa. After popping out of the car, she marched directly to the first floor room which was transformed into a mini-exercise area inside the quite luxurious house. As she predicted, she found Taeyeon bending on a Yoga mat, deep in concentration.

Looking around for a weapon, Yuri stomped her way to a table. Yuri picked up one of the towels, rolled it into a ball and threw it full force straight to Taeyeon's face. Taeyeon bent her head to the right and chortled like an old aunt. The towel only missed her by a few centimeters. 

"Miss me already?" Taeyeon peeked with one eye as she moved to get up from the mat. 

"Yah! Miss you? I barely get a day away from you." Yuri howled, flailing her arms up in the air. "If you don't call me to whine about your management or your schedules, you just pull me out of my dance classes for pure entertainment. And you ask if I miss you? You've got some lose screws for a hallyu star Taengoo! Why did you have your manager cancel my flight!" Yuri repined while she saw Taeyeon make a grin.

"I didn't. Your flight was never cancelled. I just said it to make you come here", Taeyeon smirked.

"Huh? Jugullaeeeee?! Why you shortie!" Yuri cried out with infuriation and like a gangster, she clenched her fist and drew her thumb across her neck.

"Ha! Shortie huh? Why don't you try Yuri-ah!" Taeyeon taunted back, leaving Yuri with a smug on her face as a reply. Yuri pushed herself back on the dresser table and observed Taeyeon from head to toe.

"How hard is it for you to just say, 'Hey Yuri. Can you come here? I need my buddy. I've got some problems. Will you help me?' instead of playing pranks on me?" Yuri lectured.

"Aw...c'mon Yuri...now, that wouldn't be fun for me at all!" Taeyeon scoffed back. "You know how I love playing games with you."

Yuri took more towels in her hand, balled them up and threw them all at Taeyeon. Dodging was impossible even though Taeyeon already had her hands up to block. She parried some of them but few of the towels hit her on the head, right on target.

A direct hit on the face made Yuri fist pumped in the air and did a 'kkab' dance in celebration for her revenge. Taeyeon just glared at Yuri after the towel dropped to the floor. Even thoough her face hurt a bit, seeing Yuri doing crazy dancing made Taeyeon forget her problems. She finally gave in and laughed along, going down on the mat as she held her belly.

Satisfied, Yuri ended her fete and collapsed next to Taeyeon in another yoga mat. She playfully punched the smaller girl's arm as her way of asking how Taeyeon was and Taeyeon just punched back. The two smiled at each other, understanding their intentions without even uttering words.

Not looking back at Yuri, Taeyeon then took one of the towels to wipe her forehead and stood up to take a swig of water from a squirt bottle on top of the treadmill.

"So what's up Taengoo? I thought you had a schedule today at a talkshow? Aren't you supposed to be somewhere?" Yuri decided fill in her curiosity but Taeyeon did not respond, who was still taking a few more gulps of water. Yuri just continued with her babbles since it was natural of Taeyeon to just keep quiet at first.

"Yah, speaking of your schedule, where's manager-oppa?", Yuri inquired, glancing left and right in search of the muscled guy who served as Taeyeon's manager. "Weird. He should be here by now, screaming at you. I'm actually surprised he's not dragging you lifelessly to perform and sing somewhere. Aish. Don't tell me you escaped him again. C'mon Taengoo. You're a hallyu star; you can't just do whatever you want. You have an obligation towards your fans."

Yuri sat right up and continued bombarding Taeyeon with questions. The shorter girl who was now rubbing her neck with the same towel did not respond at the series of queries. Instead, she walked nearby a desk and pulled off some sheets of paper. She walked back to Yuri and handed her the pile.

With brows raised and feeling a bit queasy, Yuri took the sheets from Taeyeon's hands and quickly read the titles of the different internet articles printed in bold black and white.

 

Hallyu star's manager complains: I resign. 

Kim Taeyeon's ego swells, manager unable to handle anymore!!!

Taeyeon, unfit to be second BoA ~KTY's manager

Has Taeyeon's fame gone 'overboard'? Manager jumps off the ship.

Another man goes down the drain: Kim Taeyeon's manager resigns.

 

"Did those articles answer your questions?" Taeyeon raised her brows as she sulked. Yuri was in a state of disbelief as she shuffled from one article to another, reading the most of what she could before throwing Taeyeon another set of questions of concern. 

"When did this happen? Did SMent call you up already?" Yuri raised.

Taeyeon reluctantly replied. "Just yesterday morning. They're now trying to supress the media and making sure that my ex-manager shuts his huge mouth about the issue. Those articles I showed you have been put on hold."

"What? But---" Yuri furrowed her brows.

Taeyeon just stared into her ceiling. "Tch. Managers. They can't even handle things right. Always saying they know what's right for me and I should do this and that. They don't even know the true meaning of performing. They're just a bunch of lazy losers who are just just happy to pester me, thinking they could control me. What's wrong with working alone? Ridiculous."

Yuri dropped the papers to her lap and comforted Taeyeon. "Hey, hey. Calm down Taengoo. Some of your managers might just think it'd be a good change from...uhm..your usual routine."

"Change? I haven't changed for three years Yuri-ah and I'm working fine. I make records, sing and perform my best. I reel in money for the company more than any other artist out there. I've got appearances in every possible country in Asia. I'm a freaking hallyu star. What more do they want?"

Yuri just sighed after hearing Taeyeon. "I know Taengoo. We all know that." Her tone almsot now a whisper but she forced to bring a cheerier attitude. "Alright. Let's stick by your rules. Now, let's go back to dealing with your problem. What's your solution? Or should I ask, what's their solution?" 

Heaving a deep sigh after the comfort of Yuri's words, Taeyeon answered doubtfully. "I have no idea. Right now, people in the higher ranks are deliberating on giving me a new manager. Well, that's as far as what I've heard from what was going around in the offices yesterday. I guess it's true. They better find me a new one since I have contracts lining up for sponsorships. I guess CEO Lee is sending me another one of those stupid drones hoping to bind me to change my ways. Another manager. Another plight. What's new?"

"Tsk. Tsk. But I thought you got along with the last---?" Yuri stopped mid-sentence at Taeyeon's cockiness."Wait...wait... What did you do this time?"

Taeyeon quickly looked at Yuri, simpering at her accusation. "Yah! What did I do? Me? Yah! Are you putting the blame on me Yuri-ah?"

"Whoah! Hold your horses Taengoo. Let's be honest here. I may only know you for a short time as compared probably to your childhood friends--if ever you had one but I'm quite doubtful of it--but, anyway, I know it must have been your fault again. Now spill. What did you do this time?  I told you to be nice to your manager this time around."Yuri chided, more like a parent to a kid rather than a friend to a friend.

"Aish. Jinja Yuri-ah?" Taeyeon complained but Yuri only waited for right response. Silence fell for a few more seconds and Yuri decided to break it.

"Tell me or I'll go back to the airport and rebook my flight. I should tell them my so-called hallyu star-friend, Kim Taeyeon, had to play a prank on me to grab my attention but had totally no guts to tell me what was actually wrong." Yuri jeered.

"Fine Yuri." Taeyeon barked back but she tamed down after a few seconds, leaning her back against the wall. "Sigh. It was the usual. Nothing new. We got into this heated discussion about some songs and how I would like to work with a bunch of new singers instead of BoA... I didn't like his impositions. He said I was too stubborn and he finally gave up saying I changed from when I was a trainee. Of course, I had to defend myself but he didn't back down...I'd rather work alone on 10 more albums than work with a single with that woman... blah blah. yadah yadah" Taeyeon relayed what happened like it was such a minor information. "Anyway, what's done is done. It was his loss."

"What's wrong with working with BoA-ssi anyway, Taengoo? Why do you loathe her so much?"Yuri interjected. She had asked this same set of questions over and over ever since she met Taeyeon and heard about BoA from her.

As expected, Taeyeon responded with the same answer she had always given to Yuri. "It's none of your concern Yuri-ah. I just don't want to work with her."

"Fine Taengoo."

Yuri knew something was going on with Taeyeon. She never understood why but as a friend, she'd been always there to support the star. She had heard from people at her workplace that they started to see changes with Tae's attitude because of one incident. Some say it was rooted from her training years. Some say it was during the height of Taeyeon's rise as an idol. Nobody dared to talk about it in front of Taeyeon but rumors circulate within the management and with the press. Yuri didn't pry too much on it but she sensed it was something really intense since Taeyeon had always been the perfect idol in people's eyes. Somehow, Yuri speculated Taeyeon's abrasive behavior had something to do with her rival hallyu star, BoA-ssi. 

 "Anyway, that's the fourth manager you've dismissed ever since we became friends last year Tae. If you continue this, even the management would be too pissed off with you. Nobody can survive working with you if you stay like this. I'm starting to worry for you."

"Don't Yuri-ah. That's going to be their problem." Taeyeon smirked.

Yuri got up and patted Taeyeon's back."You sure you're really alright Taengoo?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." Taeyeon lied and managed to fake a laugh but Yuri knew her too well. "You know what? As much as I hate it, I still need someone to manage my schedule. I still love performing and writing songs. If it weren't for the fans and the ten year contract, I wouldn't even continue this kind of life."

Yuri leaned her elbow on Taeyeon's shoulders and nudged the shorter gal. "Yah... You're a hallyu star, Taengoo. Anyone would kill for your life right now. Plus you've trained years for this. Don't waste it over nothing. Now, if only you'd be able to have a good relationship with your manager and appreciate what you have, you'd be living a much happier life."

An idea suddenly popped into Taeyeon's brilliant mind after hearing Yuri's comment. "Yah. Yuri-ah, how about if I requested you to become my manager? You work well with me. We seldom fight and you understand me like no other people out there. You'd be perfect as my manager! Am I a genius or what?"

Yuri flouted at Taeyeon. "Yah! Genius?! I say you're mad Taeng! You love me that much that you want me to die right now? Gee! Yes, I do understand you as a friend but as a manager...I say no way! I'm not risking our friendship for that job. I'm already done with you pestering me like this."

Taeyeon just laughed at Yuri's resentment. Now that Yuri had mentioned it, she didn't also wanna risk losing Yuri if they got into a heated argument over hallyu star matters. It was enough that people had left her in the past just because she was a Korean pop star.

"Plus I love my job as a choreographer. I manage dance steps, I don't manage brats like you", Yuri said as she poked Taeyeon's cheek. 

"A brat? Who are you calling a brat Yuri-ah! May I remind you, I'm still older than you." Taeyeon scolded, standing up to her best buddy even though she was surely several centimeters shorter.

"Older but more immature. Ha! I bet you a thousand bucks that the new one wouldn't last longer than your most recent ex-manager due to your childish nature." Yuri challenged back.

"Oh, so now you're making me do a dare?" Taeyeon finally let out a genuine laugh. "I'll show you that this new manager will last longer than my previous ones. I'll even make him my bestfriend!"

"Is that so? I wonder who'd be able to stick to you. I even wonder myself how I survived being your friend, much more, a bestfriend." Yuri mocked.

"Oh, you shall see, Yuri-ah. I'll make you eat your words and get that money from you." Taeyeon boasted, full of confidence.

"Alright then. Deal." Yuri agreed, although she was about to burst from laughter knowing she'd win.

They made a pinky promise when Taeyeon's phone rang.

"Excuse me a sec Yuri-ah." Taeyeon turned her back as she answered the call. "Ne. Ne. Ye algeumsumnida."

Taeyeon ended the conversation and tucked away her phone in her backpocket. She faced Yuri once again who was busy reading back the internet articles. "Yuri-ah. Could you drive me to SMent? They said it's an emergency."

"Wae? You've got your car."Yuri derided, a bit pissed that Taeyeon's making her a chauffer again.

"You know I don't drive that car anymore. Now be a nice friend and give me a ride."

"Fine." Yuri said as she fished her keys from her pocket. "You owe me so many times now Taengoo. Next time, I'll put a meter in my car and do a taxi business for you. Anyway, I'll be at the gym then since you ruined my vacation plan."

Taeyeon chuckled, ignoring most of Yuri's jeers and just found it amusing that her teasing was annoying for the choreographer. "Thanks Yuri. I'll go wash up and change. Wait for me."

"Say please." Yuri teased.

"Wait for me...please." Taeyeon dryly complied.

"Hahaha. alright. No problem Taengoo."

-----------------------------------------------------

"Come in Tiff. Make yourself comfortable", Jessica said as she helped Tiffany bring in her luggage and momentarily disappeared into a narrow hallway. "Just bring your bags on the side, let me get you something to drink."

"You live here alone Jess?" Tiffany marvelled at the wide open space. The unit was way more spacious than any condominium unit she had seen. It was like a hotel suite. Huge paintings of nature, particularly different varieties of ornamentals, hung on the white walls. The living room gave off the feeling of a minimalist and Victorian interior design. Her furniture even matched the theme, giving it a feel of an old British patio overlooking a garden.

"Wow. This place is huge. I wonder if she decorated this place alone." Tiffany murmurred to herself.

Drudgingly, Tiffany laid her luggage near the carpet and sat down on the black leather couch, which was somehow an offset from the other items in the room. Jessica came back from the back of the condo with two glasses of cranberry juice. She handed one to Tiffany and then sat down on the single loveseat opposite to Tiffany. 

"Yeah. I've been living here alone for quite some time now. I think it's been 2 years since I moved from my old unit. The neighborhood here is more pleasant and high-end. I find it more secure from other people and the public. You know what? You can stay with me instead of renting an apartment or hotel. You know birds of the same feather should flock together."

"Hahaha. Well, thanks Jess. I guess you still have the same humor as usual", Tiffany said as she sipped from the glass. "Well, I was actually planning to get an apartment since I'm not really sure how long I'd be staying. I might get a unit in this same building. Do you know if there's an open unit for lease on this floor?"

"Oh, shut up. What are you talking about Tiff? Just stay with me. We're practically sisters and it gets to be lonely around here sometimes. I've never been really out with friends. Actually, I don't really go out much with them. It's been years since I've hooked up with someone." Jessica said while her voice quivered by the end of her statement.

Tiffany caught on what Jessica had just said and was a tad surprised with an information she wasn't aware of. "What? Wae? I didn't know you hooked up with somebody...Did you tell me about this? It's been just three years since we last saw each other. Is there something you were not telling when I came here?"

"Anniyo. Ah. It's not worth mentioning..."

"Aww. C'mon Jess. Time to move on." Tiffany playfuly chided, cheering up the ice princess from her default glacial nature. "There's a lot of hot women out here. You should have gone out wth friends. You never know when you'll bump into one good catch. Well, actually thinking about it, I just met one in the airport earlier...totally drooling hot although I was stupid enough to make a fool out of myself..." Tiffany daydreamed earning a raised brow from Jessica. "Argghhh...nah..I'm hopeless...anyway, we should totally go out and have fun some time."

"Haha. Still typical Tiffany! Sigh. Having you here would really be a blast. C'mon Tiff, please stay with me? We'll be having sleepovers like when we were kids although this time, it'll be everyday" Jessica insisted. She settled her glass on the coffee table and faced Tiffany. "Don''t you agree? C'mon, pretty please little miss mushroom Miyoung!"

Tiffany let out a smile, stood up from her seat and lunged forward, hugging Jessica. "Hahaha. Fine! Just don't call me Miyoung!"

"Arasso." Jessica said next to Tiffany's ear. 

"Thanks Jess." They held each other again for a minute, surely showing how immensely they missed each other.

"So what made you come back to Korea?", Jessica asked as they broke off finally from the hug and settled back in their seats. "Vacation again? Aren't you busy with your job at LA?"

"How I wish I was doing all this for vacation Jess but it's all about job related ventures. I've interned with SMent's LA branch for about 2 years now. My boss called me the other day and said SMent Korea wanted me to come here for a proposal. I came here since you know how much I've always wanted to work with BoA-ssi."

"You're still crushing over BoA-unnie?" Jessica asked.

"BoA-unnie? Unnie? You know her?" Tiffany exclaimed, thrilled that her bestfriend have actually known BoA all along.

"Huh? I mean..no...not really. Ughm...well, everyone calls her that in the company, especially the dongsaengs. I've seen her a few times at the company before but we're not really close. There were separate trainings for performers and actors." Jessica said, squeezing her tiny voice out of . "I got to talk to her a few times."

"Oh, that's sad to know. It would have been a blast if you actually knew her. I'd be mad if you were keeping my idol away from me." Tiffany joked, waving her index finger at Jessica. "Anyway, it's not a crush. It's more of a professional thing. I just really want to work with a world class star. A hallyu star."

"Oh...okay." Jessica somehow squirmed in her seat upon hearing Tiffany's reason. "Hallyu star, huh."

"Anyway, going back to my story. So SMent Korea called me up and little did I know they were going to send me a day after I confirmed. So basically, I'm gonna be here for work but it won't seem so bad now since I got to see you back. And as you said earlier, we'll be living together again! We'll be having so much fun again Jess!" Tiffany paused grinning at her childhood bestfriend. "Anyway Jess. Which reminds me, you're still under SMent right? Still acting?"

Jessica moeud. "No Tiff. I've stopped. I told my manager that I wanted to do something else. He didn't agree but I was adamant about my decision. I've been more involved with visual arts now. It's more soothing. Entertainment is such a harsh place to be in." 

She trailed off in her words. She suddenly stood up and gave Tiffany a key and a card.

"Anyhow. Here's my spare key to the condo. I'm sorry to leave you like this but I have to get back to the gallery. Just treat my place like your own. The guest room is at the end of the hallway. You can take that room if you don't wanna bunk with me. Call me if you need anything. Number is on the card. I'll see you tonight instead?"

"Gee. Thanks Jess. Don't worry about me. Go ahead. I'll take the guestroom. I can go and have a sleepover if you'd want to. I appreciate all the help." Tiffany said as she reached for the key and card.

"It's nothing mushroom Miyoung! Alright, I'll see you later." Jessica hugged Tiffany then walked to the door and bid goodbye.

After Jessica left, Tiffany picked up her lugggage and continued down the narrow hallway. As she was unpacking her clothes in the guest room, Tiffany's phone came alive and BoA's song resounded within the empty condo.

~oh. oh. oh. hurricane. Venus! oh. oh. oh. hurricane. Venus!

She received a message from an unregistered number on her American phone.

To: Ms. Hwang

This is Secretary Park Sahyeon. Please make yourself available at 11:30 this morning. The CEO would like to discuss matters with you personally. I hope this isn't too abrupt. I hope you had a pleasant flight. Welcome to Seoul.

Tiffany quickly glanced at her watch and saw that it was already 10 in the morning. She quickly collected her slingbag and her notepad. She left Jessica's condo and locked it. Once she reached the streets, she hailed a cab right by a curb.A yellow taxi immediately stopped before her and she dipped herself inside the cab and called on the driver.

"Annyonghaseyo. SM Entertainment building please. Thank you."

________________________________________________________________________________