We were trainees

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

Sunny walked into the new SMent building with her hands tucked into her jacket. Suddenly she felt the familiarity of the company from their old days yet everything was new, foreign and distant with this modern one. Some younger aged students had come in after their classes from school to train and they rushed from the entrance of the hall. They ran past Sunny as they playfully competed against each other, disappearing towards the stairs at the end of the floor. Sunny smiled, remembering the times she was in the same shoes as those youngsters. She went up to the receptionists and asked for information.

"Hi, I'm here to meet someone. I want to know where this is." Sunny inquired as she showed something on her mobile phone.

The lady attending to her easily gave her a pass and directed her to go on the 6th floor and gave her a room number. Sunny took the elevator and walked slowly towards the room. Once she reached the door, she noticed that it was labeled as a small dance studio. Without any more hesitation, she pulled down the lever of the doorknob and entered.

"I've been waiting for you." a tall woman in designer clothes spoke as she rose from one of the red cushioned wing chairs in the room.

"I'm not late. I came here before the time you had set." Sunny replied bluntly as she entered the room.

"I've been waiting for you for three years...three years....Soonkyu." the woman lashed back.

"It's been a while, BoA." Sunny replied, taking her sunglasses off her face.

BoA circled the wing chair and faced back at Sunny. She slowly bent her torso over the back of the cushions as she placed her elbows on the wooden frame.

"Care to sit and chat? We've got so much to talk about. You wou'dn't mind catching up with your unnie, would you, Soonkyu?" BoA offered, her tone inviting yet precarious.

"I prefer to stand. I believe this won't be long. And I don't go by that name anymore 'unnie'. My name is Sunny. Soonkyu's long gone." the blonde pixie answered in a monotone voice but emphasized on only two words...unnie and her new name.

"I see then, Sunny." BoA said as she went back into her seat and leaned back.

"What do you want BoA....unnie?" Sunny asked dryly as she tucked her sunglasses into her black motorcycle leather jacket.

"Nothing much. Say, Sunny. Don't you think this dance studio reminds us so much of the past? It's almost the same size as the one we used to practice  in before when we were trainees. Do you remember?" BoA recounted, holding her hands outwards to show what she meant by the old place.

"I do remember." Sunny bluntly replied. 

---------------------------------flashback----------------------------------

ten years ago....

"BoA-unnie!!!"

"Yah. Soonkyu over here."

"BoA-unnie! Is it true that they're going to debut you next month? Jinjayo?" Soonkyu asked, landing on BoA's back as she arrived inside the old practice studio.

"How did you?....Ah. Ne Soonkyu. They just told me about two days ago." BoA said to her donsaeng, peeling off Soonkyu slowly.

"Cheongmal! AHHHH!!! Chukahamnida unnie!!!" Soonkyu cheered as leaped across the wooden floors, capturing the attention of a few other girls who were also training with them.

"Yah. BoA unnie, why didn't you tell us? We could have celebrated after they told you." Taeyeon nudged BoA's arm. She had been sitting together with the older gal. 

"Mianhe. I was going to tell you right after but I was scared I'd hurt both your feelings." BoA apologized as she placed both her elbows on the floor as she leaned back while squatting.

"Ah! Unnie! What makes you think that? We all train for this and it's just that you get to debut first!" Soonkyu pouted, full of aegyo.

"That's right BoA-unnie. Soonkyu and I will debut after you and both of us will even surpass your fame!" Taeyeon added, boasting to her sunbae.

"Uwa?! Gureyo? Hahaha!" BoA laughed hard and pounded on the floor. 

"Waeyo? Do you underestimate the power of the danshins?" Soonkyu stood up from the wooden panels and placed both her hands on her waist.

"Yah! Who are you calling danshin?" Taeyeon protested pointing to the other who stood up.

"Who else? It can't be BoA-unnie!" Soonkyu stuck her tongue out at Taeyeon. At that tender age, BoA was still taller than both.

"YAH! I'm taller than you!" Taeyeon objected as she also stood up and tiptoed beside Soonkyu.

"Doesn't matter who's taller. You both are shorties. " BoA said confidently as she lied down on the floor laughing.

"UNNIE!!!" the two danshins shouted at the same time, bending over BoA's head. 

"You'll regret saying that! You might not grow any taller after today!" Sunny joked.

The older gal on the floor held her belly and rolled from side to side.

"Omo. You two always crack me up. SMent should think of debuting you as a duo!" BoA said, continued to laugh until she wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. "Wait! Danshin Duo! Yes! That sounds good!"

"With Taeyeon?! Yah! Andwaee!" Soonkyu slumped back into an Indian chief position and crossed her arms.

"Yah! Shiro! As if I'd like to pair up with you too!" Taeyeon did the same but opposite to the other shortie's direction.

"Ow. ow. My belly hurts from laughing too much. If I wasn't training with you guys, I'd actually think something fishy is going on between the two of you." BoA said cautiously as she sat up from lying on the ground.

Nobody commented after BoA's tease and this just made the older gal more curious.

"Wae? Why are you two so silent?" BoA exclaimed as she knuckled both shorties' temples.

"Anniyo! No way unnie." Soonkyu whined.

"Ditto!" Taeyeon also cried out.

"You're both really suspicious." BoA crossed her arms and peered into Soonkyu's eyes and then to Taeyeon's. Both girls parried from BoA's deadly gaze.

"Aish. C'mon. I'll treat you guys. Let's celebrate!" BoA cheered as she stood up and kicked the two girls on their butts. "What do you want?"

"Unnie! Ice cream!" Taeyeon exclaimed as she stood up and clung to BoA's left arm.

"Ca-kuh! Ca-kuh! (cake)" Soonkyu added and took the older gal's right arm.

"Aish. Arasso. Gaja!" BoA shouted as she playfully raised her arms.

Those were the good times.

-----------------------------

after 24 months...

BoA was lying down with eyes half closed on a couch right outside a recording booth when Taeyeon quietly entered.

"BoA unnie, are you awake? I have something to tell you." Taeyeon whispered as she took a seat right beside BoA's leg.

"What is it Taeyeon? I'm really tired. I just got back from Singapore two hours ago." BoA groaned, opening her eyes and sat up.

"Oh. Anniyo. It's nothing. You should go rest." Taeyeon excused and lifted herself fom the seat to leave the room.

"Ah. C'mon. I'll get a powernap later. I can't also sleep too long coz I got another practice for a mini-concert." BoA gave in as she patted on the couch to let Taeyeon sit back. "Just make it quick, will you?"

"You work too hard unnie." Taeyeon said in a concerned tone. 

"That's the price I pay for being dubbed as a hallyu star. Now, c'mon, tell me, what's up?" BoA sighed as she readjusted her position and sat on the couch with her knees crunched next to her chest. 

"I got news from the management this morning, they're also going to debut me after the New Year." Taeyeon reported while playing with the thread from her hoodie.

"Oh...Wow! Congratulations! Well, isn't that good news?" BoA clapped her hands and patted Taeyeon's back. Her tone was ectstatic at first but it mellowed down seconds later. "Well, did Soonkyu also get in?"

"Unnie..." Taeyeon paused. "Soonkyu didn't make it. They said she still required training."

"Oh...is that so...I guess she's not cut out to be a hallyu star...tch...oh, Taeyeon-ah, don't worry I think she'll understand and be happy for you. Just the way you guys cheered for me back then..." BoA comforted the little hoobae. "Cheer up... you'll be following my footsteps my dongsaeng."

Taeyeon furrowed her brows at the nonchalant attitude BoA was expressing. It felt like she was dismissing Sunny. It felt like somehow BoA has changed a bit.

"Unnie...when you become a hallyu star, what happens? I mean, how is it?" Taeyeon turned her head towards her sunbae and elbowed BoA's leg.

"What kind of question is that Taeyeon?" BoA raised her brow but continued to answer. "Well, anyway, you get fame...money...attention...You basically fulfill your dreams. Everything that we wanted before!"

"I see."

"Waeyo? Why my dear dongsaeng? What's the problem? Are you having second thoughts now?" BoA flouted. "What the heck are you faltering for Taeyeon? We train years and years for this." BoA gabbed, raising her shoulders and shaking her head incredulously.

"Ugh yes. That's true." Taeyeon replied as she bowed her head and went back with tying knots on her hoodie's string. "But unnie...ughmm...I have a concern...about me and ..."

"You should end it." BoA grimly replied even before Taeyeon could finish her sentence. She knew what Taeyeon was going to say and she had been a witness to everything even before.

"But--" Taeyeon argued, raising her head back.

"Look Taeyeon. You are going to debut. It wouldn't help your career if you start out with such a mess in your name. People in the press can dig this up easily if you don't stop. Don't be stupid." 

"Well, what if I just keep it down. I can't just let her go unnie." Taeyeon confided. She felt a bit hurt hearing such harsh words from BoA.

"Taeyeon, listen to me. End it before things get even more out of hand. I already warned you. Stupid things like love shouldn't get in your way to your dreams." BoA reprimanded, eyes glowering at the shorter gal. "Our dream is more important than love!"

"Unnie..."Taeyeon softly protested but she went timid again as soon as BoA nudged her. Something about her unnie has somehow changed but Taeyeon thought it was just a concern that her unnie had raised towards her. BoA knew about her secret relationship but ever since she heard about it, she just took each chance she had to convince Taeyeon out of it.

"Let's stop talking about such nonsense. It's ruining my mood. C'mon, get up. I'll help you spill the good news to Soonkyu if that's what you want. Then we'll celebrate." BoA prodded as she pushed Taeyeon off the couch. "I guess my treat again..."

"Anniyo. Unnie. It'll be my treat." Taeyeon said while composing herself.

"Alright. Whatever Taeyeon. Now, let's do this. I have a schedule coming up. I don't need to waste more time." BoA mumbled.

"Ughmmm..okay unnie."

--------------------------------------------

 Another 2 years later...

"I'm sorry Taeyeon..but I have to go. I can't stay here any longer." Soonkyu apologized, with tears welling in her eyes.

"But Soonkyu--- why?" Taeyeon asked, her tone raised as she grabbed Soonkyu's arm.

"This hallyu world is not for me! Let go!" Soonkyu sternly said, unallowing herself to be budged by the girl in front of her. "It's not meant to be."

"No! We're in this together." Taeyeon begged as she sensed the tension in Soonkyu. "How can you leave me in such a situation I am in right now?"

"Shut up Taeyeon. You... You are already a hallyu star! People like you wouldn't understand." Soonkyu's harsh words pierced through Taeyeon. "You belong in a different world Tae."

"What about----" Taeyeon mumbled as her eyes were stricken with fear and shock. "Soonkyu, please don't do this to me. Not now."

"I'm just sorry. I hope one day you'll realize Tae. You're throwing yourself away for nothing." Soonkyu flipped.

No words came out of Taeyeon's mouth even if she wanted to say so much.

"This is the end. I'm sorry. Goodbye. Please don't stop me anymore." Soonkyu stiffly said as she forcefully swiped Taeyeon's grip from her arm and left the room without a sound.

Taeyeon fell down on her knees and started to cry, bellowing out her anger and frustration from things happening to her. She laid down on the floor for a few minutes and then stood up. Disoriented, she panned the room to find things that could take out her anger on. She grabbed some of the plushies and the flowers that her fans had given her and threw them on the walls. She pulled out some letter and started shredding them.

BoA quickly entered Taeyeon's dressing room as soon as she heard the crashes.  

"Yah. Taeyeon-ah. Let's talk. Calm down." BoA commanded, booming her voice over Taeyeon.

"What are you doing here? Don't you have a plane to catch for a concert or something?" Taeyeon replied sarcastically.

"Look who's talking. You're a hallyu star yourself." BoA grimaced, offended by the rudeness. Taeyeon was still junior to her and BoA wanted some respect.

"What do you freaking want unnie?" Taeyeon continued to act coarsely. "Soonkyu just left!"

"So what Taeyeon?! Soonkyu never made it to become a hallyu star! Let her go!" BoA barked.

Taeyeon's eyes widened at the remark. How could BoA say something like that to a person who respected her for years. "What did you say?"

"I already told you you'd get hurt if you dive in to such relationships. Falling in love is not part of  this job Taeyeon. More so, falling in love with the same gender is not part of any job! You would be shunned by this society. You only dug your own grave." BoA explained stringently and walked over to the door making sure the room was locked and no one could hear their conversation. "I guess Sunny just also gave up on that on you."

"Tch. Soonkyu has got nothing to do with that. Just bacause I'm a freaking hallyu star?" Taeyeon mumbled. "That's ridiculous! I don't understand!"

"Yes. Because we're damn hallyu stars." BoA said and raised her voice, hoping it would scare the other girl and wake her up to reality. "Now, get up and stop your whining. There's no use clinging on to useless people."

"This..this is all...stupid!" Taeyeon yelled out. She couldn't believe how much thrash she was hearing from her idol.

"Wae? Why Taeyeon? Are you willing to throw away all the years you've trained. All the hardships? All the day and nights of practice? Everything? Just for her? Wake up Taeyeon! Not everything revolves around her! You've worked your way up. This business is a harsh reality. Someone like her shouldn't bring you down! Some people are meant to be just forgotten! It's a battlefield out there Taeyeon and we, who are on top needs to stay on top!" BoA shouted and raised her arms, feeling helpless. "There's no space for love in this career Tae. Deal with it!"

Taeyeon was stupefied from the words that came out of her long admired senior.

"Wow. unnie. you have changed so much from when we were just beginners in this field" Taeyeon smirked and shook her head in disagreement.

"I'm just looking out for a co-hallyu star like you." BoA growled. "I have to protect my dream. Our dream."

"Cheongmal unnie? Really?" Taeyeon vexed. "All this to protect OUR dream? Or is it just basically yours? Are you so afraid I will tarnish your reputation? Why unnie? Am I bringing you down?"

"Think whatever you want Taeyeon. I'm just protecting our name."

"Why? Don't you think my name is already surpassing yours?"

"Ha! Oh, is that it? Don't make me laugh Taeyeon. For the record, I debuted before you. I paved the road for you to get fame. I had the tougher route. You had your way too easy! Without me, you're nothing!" BoA flared up as she totally lost her cool. "Don't be too full of yourself."

"I am not." Taeyeon defended. "I'm just saying you don't have to put others down like Soonkyu just to show that you are better."

"You are disillusioned Taeyeon. Love would ruin everything for you." BoA spat. "You are still second rate compared to me."

"I can't believe you BoA-unnie. I'll show you. I'm not someone who just stands under your shadow!" Taeyeon said with gritted teeth and moved towards the door.

"Let me see you try Taeyeon." BoA challenged.

Taeyeon unlocks the door and turns around to her older trainor. "You've gone cold unnie. You're different than what you used to be. Your heart's as cold as steel. No wonder you don't feel love. All's about fame for you. Is this what being a hallyu star has been all bout? You disgust me. I can't believe I even treated you as my sister."

"The only way for success is to think for your own success Taeyeon. You being so soft only means you're bound to fail. You'll never surpass me Taeyeon. You can never be me." BoA scowled.

"You're right unnie. Indeed, you are because I won't be like you." Taeyeon said her final words and left the room, banging the door to the side, wrecking its hinges. "I will never be like you!"

----------------------------------------end of flashback---------------------------------------------------

"Look, quit beating around the bush. I'll ask one more time. What do you want BoA-unnie?" Sunny dared BoA as she shifted her weight from one side to the other. "I don't want to waste your time any longer."

"A little impatient, I see. Oh C'mon Sunny. Let bygones be bygones. We used to be so close before. Let's go back to being that." BoA proposed and she stood up from the chair. She approached Sunny like a snake, just like what her name implies."Well, here's the deal. I'll give you another chance. I can help you become a star. a hallyu star. Just like me and Taeyeon, what do you say?"

Sunny turned her face away from BoA. She didn't want to recall anything from her past. She just wanted erase the memories associated with the two hallyu stars she had met in her life. She was sorry for Taeyeon but she couldn't just forget all that has been done.

"I'm quite flattered you still care BoA-unnie but I think all those years I've trained and the management rejecting me, I think it's enough proof I wasn't fit for the limelight." 

With one big stride, she backed off from BoA, ready to exit the door from the small studio. 

"Don't pretend Sunny. I know you still want it. Deep down in your heart. You still want to be like me and Taeyeon."

"Hajima BoA. Stop it. I'm satisfied with doing stuff on my own." Sunny shunned BoA's offer.

"Are you sure you're contented with just being an underground artist? Think about it. Being a hallyu star is everyone's wish as a trainee." BoA said in a soft tone, enticing the blonde. BoA tucked a card and a ticket into Sunny's jacket and patted the short gal. "We used to dream about it. All three of us. Here's your chance to make that real again. I hope you don't let your unnie down."

BoA just cringed at all the lying she'd been doing just to reel Sunny in to her bait. 

"Unnie..."Sunny softly replied. "I...can't"

BoA stopped Sunny from talking any further. "You know where to find me." She whispered.

"I...ugh..." Sunny just turned around, without saying back a word to her previous sunbae and exited the room. She slowly walked out to the hallway,dazed. Then her steps quickened as she made a turn towards the elevator. BoA chased after Sunny, hoping she could catch up to her. Sunny quickly punched the button for the groundfloor as soon as she entered the lift. 

"Sunny! Wait!" BoA yelled. "Sunny!"

BoA stopped in her tracks and the doors of the lift slowly closed. At that moment, another door opened just a few meters across from the elevator. Taeyeon, Tiffany and some other people like the producers and production team staff got out of the conference room. The staff instantly went away to the end of the halls to grab some food to eat.

Tiffany's eyes widened as she immediately identified her idol while Taeyeon met BoA's gaze, which was partially stricken with surprise.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! It's BoA! It's her!" Tiffany spazzed. "Finally, I see her!"

Taeyeon held her gaze and the two hallyu stars started a stare down. Taeyeon gritted her teeth as she controlled from sputing regrettable words.

"Annyonghaseyo BoA-ssi. Ah! It's so great to finally meet you! I'm your fan! I've always been your fan!" Tiffany bowed and greeted in a high pitch, overly excited in meeting her idol face to face for the first time. "Hwang Tiffany imnida. I'm a manager for this company. Actually, I'm Kim Taeyeon's manager. I've always wanted to work for you though. I hope we could somehow work together in the future."

BoA smiled and nodded to Tiffany. "Oh, nice to meet you then manager Hwang."

"Manager Hwang. Can we talk to you about something? Taeyeon-ssi doesn't need to come. I just want to discuss some matters with you." the producer called out to Tiffany as he was walking away from the girls.

"Ah. Ne. PD-nim. Coming right up!" Tiffany waved back and faced back to BoA. "Ah, excuse me. Sorry to leave so sudden. Nice meeting you BoA-ssi! I hope you well at all times!"

Tiffany turned towards the producer but before she left, she placed a hand over Taeyeon's arm and whispered. "I'll be back here. Wait for me, okay?"

Taeyeon's expression softened lovingly as she nodded back to Tiffany's instruction. The excited brunette patted Taeyeon and dashed off to catch up with the producer, leaving the two hallyu stars alone at the hallway.

"Looks like you're manager is more of a fan for me rather than you Kim" BoA boastfully teased. "Ain't that a let down?"

"Not everyone knows who you really are." Taeyeon barked back. "She'll be shocked if she gets to see your true colors."

"Pfft. Sure. But do you know what's interesting? Looks like history is repeating itself, Kim." BoA folded her arms. "I can't believe you fall for the same tricks again. You are so gullible Taeyeon. Seriously. Just too gullible. What a fool."

"What nonsense has gone into your head this time?" Taeyeon stood her ground while BoA smirked at her remark. 

"Nonsense? I wouldn't say that if I were you." BoA warned, sliding her fingers over her lips."Careful now. Your girl might just leave you again. You wouldn't want three years ago to happen again, wouldn't you?"

"Stay away from her BoA." Taeyeon glared, understanding that her rival was referring to her manager. "She has nothing to do with my past. Don't drag other people into this."

"I wouldn't and I really wouldn't even care. Don't worry Kim...there's so much more that needs my attention than dealing with a second rate artist like you." BoA chuckled and turned around. She tucked her hands into the pockets of her designer cloak and casually strutted off to the other end the hall, her heels clicking against the floor with every step. "See you around, Taeyeon."

Taeyeon watched her in a distance, hands at her side and her fists clenching into a ball.

Don't you even dare get Tiffany involved BoA...don't you even dare...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------