Attitude gradient

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

"Wow, you have really improved Taeyeon-ssi!" Nicole clapped her hands with much pride as she watched Taeyeon do the last pose for the hiphop number.

Taeyeon twriled her partner back up and bowed to her mini-audience.

"Ms. Kim, thank you for handling me well." Haesung said sheepishly, between short breaths and retreated to the sides along with the other juniors.

"Great job Taengoo. Nicely done." Yuri applauded in addition to Nicole's compliment.

"Nah. Haesung also adjusted for me so it was easier for me to hold her." Taeyeon responded, waving her arm, denying the credits that the other two dancers have given her.

Hyoyeon stood up from squatting on the floor, after observing Taeyeon and her partner complete the routine. 

"You sure it was just Haesung, Taeyeon-ssi? Practicing in the dark can be beneficial too." Hyoyeon commented with a tease.

Taeyeon quickly understood what Hyoyeon implied but it also gave her a shock. "Eh?"

The heck? So, it's you who did the door locking incident at the practice room. Why you Hyo! You're gonna pay for that!!! Arggghhh...but I guess I shouldn't get mad. If that night didn't happen, Tiffany and I would probably be still killing each other. Tch. You get a free pass for this one Kim Hyoyeon.

"Erhmm. Nothing." Hyoyeon denied immediately and pretended that she knew nothing. "Just mumbling..."

"Next time, learn to close the power box after you leave." Taeyeon smirked, which gave the blonde choreographer a jump, realizing that the hallyu star had already caught her little mischief. "Nice plan, too bad you at cleaning up any trace."

"Ah.....crap." Hyoyeon gasped and sulked after being discovered.

"What are you guys talking about?" Yuri asked, bewildered from the nonsense that Hyo and Taeyeon have been babbling about. However, the two simply ignored Yuri and went separate ways.

"Hyo-babe, let's take a break for lunch. Taeyeon-ssi has to do her other numbers too." Nicole whined, backhugging her girlfriend with her arms obviously touching Hyoyeon's mounds.

Hyoyeon realized that Nicole's touch was too suggestive so she placed her own arms over Nicole's hands and covered it. "Well, I guess so. Are you okay taking so much practice time for the hiphop tango Taeyeon-ssi? Looks like you haven't really reviewed on your other numbers."

"Gwaenchanna. I've done the others a million times. I could easily perform them even with my eyes closed." Taeyeon replied with exuding confidence.

Yuri quickly grabbed Taeyeon by the back of the neck and gave the shortie a knuckle sandwich on the head. "Yah. Don't be too proud Taengoo."

"Ah Yuri-ah! Stop messing my hair! I'm just telling the truth." Taeyeon cried out as she tried to escape Yuri's grasp by flailing her arms and kicking her legs.

The juniors watched the hallyu star joke around with the other senior dancers animatedly. The couple and Yuri just laughed at the futile efforts of the chestnut-haired danshin as Taeyeon tried to get a punch at Yuri.

"Dudes, seriously, Taeyeon-noona is transformed. She never kids around with people around her." one of the guys whispered to his colleagues.

"Same thoughts here. It's cool though. She hasn't scolded us in a while. Never thought she would actually be this nice." the other tall guy responded while wiping his neck with his shirt. "She's something else when she's not all gloomy."

"Yah oppa. You crushing on her?" Haesung nudged her older groupmate.

"No! No, not like that...." the tall guy responded back blusing while hiding his face with his sleeves. "But on the second thought, now that she's not the devil as she was before, noona does seem cute..." 

"OOoooh! Oppa likes Taeyeon-ssi" the other girl junior clapped her hands and teased the taller guy.

"Yah. Dongsaengs, care to share what you four are mumbling about?" Taeyeon shifted her attention from the older group, who were still holding their bellies from laughing too hard, to the junior partners, who were busy mumbling with each other.

"Ah! Taeyeon-ssi. Uhmm..noona/unnie, it's nothing!" the four juniors replied in unison, all had a terrified expression on their faces, similar to when someone sees a ghost, or a devil in this case.

"Wow. you kids get scared too easily..." Taeyeon scratched her head. "Go now. We've got a an hour break for lunch before we practice the other songs." she continued and gestured the kids to leave.

"Al gesumnida noona/unnie. Thanks for the break." all four stood up and bowed down before Taeyeon. Together, they made their exit  from the practice room.

"Alright, see you in a while. Be careful, ok?" Taeyeon waved her hand before the group disappeared from her sight.

The taller guy from the juniors heard her and replied back blushing."Uhm. You too Taeyeon-noona."

The cheerful hallyu idol panned back to the rest of her dancer friends and resumed in their conversation.

"Hyo-babe, here's your water." said the short bobbed dancer as she opened up a bottle of distilled water for her lover.

"Aww...thank you Nic-baby. You're so thoughtful. Saranghae." Hyoyeon replied with love and gave her a quick kiss after taking a gulp from the bottle.

Nicole pursed her lips after the kiss and replied. "Nado saranghae."

"Accchhhkkk. Seriously you two, don't you get tired of your constant PDAs? My stomach gets weak most of the time I'm with you couple." Yuri complained as she brought out a finger to and acted like she was about to barf.

"Second the motion on that Yuri-ah." Taeyeon agreed as she hooked her arm over Yuri's neck.

Hyoyeon stuck her tongue out at Yuri and mocked."HA! Look who's talking! I'm sure you and your girl would end up like me and Nic-baby here. Just you wait Kwon Yuri!"

The blonde dancer resumed her PDAs, putting down the bottle of water on her side and pulling Nicole closer to her body. With one hand sliding slowly, Hyoyeon caressed Nicole's arm going up to the neck and the lips. Hyoyeon's lover responded right after by encircling her arms on the blonde's waist and palms flat, pressed downwards to Hyoyeon's buttocks, taunting the tanned girl and the danshin on a free exhibition show.

"Andwaee!" Yuri turned around screaming while Taeyeon just stared at the couple waiting for more action.

"Hahaha. Whatever Yuri-ah." Hyoyeon pulled away which made Taeyeon groan with disappointment. "Anyway, Nic and I will take our lunch at a nearby cafe. Care to join us?"

Taeyeon snapped herself back to reality and replied to Hyo's invitation. "Oh, I'm good. Tiffany's bringing me lunch."

Yuri turned around and inclined her head towards Taeyeon.

Tiffany? Since when did Taengoo address her that way?

Yuri wondered at Taeyeon's statement but then also declined the lunch offer. "Same here. I've got my own."

"Okaaaay. See ya latah alligatahs!" Hyoyeon bid goodbey and walked out the practice room with her girlfriend, hand in hand.

The star and dancer bestfriends sat down on the monobloc chairs near the corner table of the room. Yuri picked up her duffel bag and took out a prepared bowl of salad and a simple tuna sandwich. Before diving in to her meal, she checked again on her phone and fumbled with it before noticing that Taeyeon was staring at her all the while with her torso leaning forward and her elbows on her knees.

"Yah. Yuri-ah. You and a girl? What's this about? You have been keeping secrets from me!" Taeyeon upbraided her closest comrade.

"What? It's not what you think Taengoo. We just got really busy so we haven't had the time to catch up." Yuri explained briefly and showed Taeyeon the couple ring that she was now wearing on her left ring finger. "So yeah...just wanna let you know that I'm hooked."

Taeyeon quickly grabbed Yuri's hand and inspected the ring with the half heart design. "Uwa!!! So the player is finished. Dead!"

Yuri just nodded, smiling.

"Wait, I thought you liked Tiffany?"

"Your manager?" Yuri asked curiously as she withdrew her hand from Taeyeon who seemed like she was going to break her palm in case she answered yes.

"Uhumm. You were all over her the first time we had our practice." Taeyeon stated it like a prosecutor would do on a suspected criminal.

"Yah! Taengoo!" the tanned girl quickly opposed by raising both her hands and continued to reply. "Tiffany's really pretty."

"What?"

"What 'what'? I mean I'd go for her for sure but someone else has captured my heart. I tell you, I may not love anyone else anymore Taengoo. She's all I need now"

Taeyeon brushed her arms and rubbed them to keep herself from shivering."Omo. you've gone cheesy. Brrr...guess you're really whipped. So when do I get to meet this girl of yours?"

"I'll set-up a date. What do you think? But I guess i have to check on your manager Hwang for your schedule plus my girl's been pretty busy too with all her gallery preparations. Oh yeah, forgot to tell you about her, she's an artist. I'm sure you'll love her Taengoo." Yuri replied dreamily.

"Ara. You really are in love. I can't wait to meet her too." Taeyeon sighed deeply and slumped back into the plastic chair. "Yuri-ah, I'm happy for you. It's so fortunate for the two of you to have the freedom to express your love."

"Eh? What do you mean Taengoo?" Yuri asked back, bewildered by the sudden sullen thoughts of the short one.

"Hi guys!!! Taetae, here's your lunch. I hope I didn't come late. I had to pick-up your meal from the restaurant."

Tiffany's cheery voice broke the awkward silence that Taeyeon was creating before she could reply to Yuri. The dancer just leaned back and pondered on what she had just heard. Taetae? Since when did Taengoo have another nickname aside from what I call her? 

Suddenly, Taeyeon's grim attitude shifted into a sprightly atmosphere as she welcomed her manager to a seat. "Tiffany, you didn't have to do that. You should have them deliver next time."

"It's ok. It was on my way anyway." Tiffany replied while settling down a paper bag containing several plastic containers of what smelled like good Korean food. Tiffany served the meals out of the bag, bringing out bowls of rice and soup. She also opened a pack of kimchi as a side dish and some steamed greens as an addition. "Oh, Yuri-ah. You can have some of this soondoobuchigae too. I ordered two bowls for Taetae." Tiffany graciously offered and placed one bowl of the steaming tofu red pepper paste stew and rice before Yuri. 

"Oh. Gomawo Stephanie." Yuri said while bowing lightly.

"No, it's all mine Yuri-ah. MIIIIIINNNEEEE!!!" Taeyeon cried out like a child and slid the bowl back to her own space on the table, playfully teasing the other girl.

Tiffany immediately pinched Taeyeon's cheeks from the back, which from the side, looked she was backhugging the danshin. "Tae, learn to share!"

"Shiro!!!" Taeyeon puffed her cheeks and smiled a toothy grin at her manager.

"Ah, you two are like kids. Wait, let me get some water for all of us" Yuri said as she stood up from her seat and walked towards the water dispenser. She was still baffled by the very close skinship and tones of concern between the hallyu star and her supposedly archenemy manager.

"Tiffany. I missed you. Nomu pogo shipo." Taeyeon cupped her hands towards Tiffany's ear and whispered. "Where were you?"

"Missed you too Tae. I met up with the stage designers. They're still assembling the props you requested. And they wanted to thank you also for the hotpacks and hot tea you ordered for them while they were working. They said it was really nice of you to do that." Tiffany said back, also in a low soft voice.

"Oh. Really? That's good. Hope they didn't catch a cold preparing all the stuff for the concert." Taeyeon smiled at the thought and played with her spoon and fork while waiting for Yuri to come back.

"Hmm. Oh yeah, by the way, they said you can have the day free after tomorrow before you can have the dress rehearsal." Tiffany reported to her client as she she scooted her chair right next to Taeyeon so that they could eat together.

"Assa! That's great. Finally, a day of rest." the danshin stretched her hands high up in the air and slowly descended her arm over Tiffany's shoulders, a sleek move to embrace the brunette.

Tiffany noticed the player move and smiled broadly then patted Taeyeon's arm. "I know,  you've worked really hard."

"Where's my reward for being such a good hallyu star?" Taeyeon asked in aegyo and rested her temples on Tiffany's shoulder.

"Reward---?" Tiffany turned her head from the front to ask Taeyeon on the side but was immediately mummed by a quick peck on the lips. Taeyeon pulled back and swooped in again for two more pecks like a kingfisher diving in for a fish at sea.

"Yah. Tae. Yuri's here." Tiffany warned Taeyeon as she tried to look back if Yuri was watching from the dispenser.

"That's fine. Yuri's a friend. She'd understand."Taeyeon assured Tiffany alhough the manager was still wary of their situation.

From the other end of the room, Yuri picked up three cups filled with water. She turned around from the dispenser and caught the kiss that Taeyeon gave Tiffany. She almost dropped the cups but was able to adjust her hands. She then cautiously walked back towards the other two, seeing that Tiffany was trying to check on her.

"Yah, Taengoo. Move over or else I'll spill the cup on your head." Yuri chided the danshin as she gestured for some space on the table.

"Don't you even dare, Yuri-ah." Taeyeon glared back and then budged the bowls to clear some area, instantly removing her hand from Tiffany's shoulder.

Yuri placed the cups on the table but she looked at the two, one after another in a very suspicious manner.

"You two are acting weird. You sure you didn't spice up the soondobu for me this time Stephanie?" Yuri joked, insinuating that the couple of ladies in front of her was going to play a prank on her.

"Anniyo. Why would I do that?" Tiffany whined and pouted, which Taeyeon stared at with much adoration.

"Just checking." Yuri replied back softly at Tiffany then she noticed that Taeyeon's hand was interlocked with Tiffany's under the table.

Sensing that Yuri might have noticed something different about her and Tiffany, Taeyeon immediately changed the topic."Anyway, Yuri. We got no practice the day after tomorrow so it's free time. Wanna catch up? So I could meet your girl too."

"The day after tomorrow? Oh man. That . I got a full day session with the kids plus I think Sica has to go a printshop." Yuri exhaled in disappointment while pressing her palm on her forehead.

"Ah, yeah. Jessica told me about some pamphlets she needs to be printed for her showcase." Tiffany added as she suddenly remembered Jessica's mumbling last night.

"Jessica? Wait, you know Yuri's girlfriend?" Taeyeon asked confusedly as she shifted her gaze from Yuri to the girl beside her.

The surprised brunette raised her brows at Taeyeon and responded. "Oh, yeah. Haven't I told you? Jessica's my bestfriend from LA. Yuri and her met about a month back and now they're officially lovers."

The mention of the words 'officially lovers' turned Yuri's shade from tan to red.

"Oh...that's why..." Taeyeon nodded her head like a wobbling toy dog usually found on car dashboards as she fully comprehended why Yuri was quite close to Tiffany at certain times.

"C'mon. I'm hungry. Let's eat. Thank you for the food Stephanie." Yuri compelled as she was getting a bit impatient from all the talking.

"Ne. Chuman e." Tiffany said back to Yuri. All three chattered and ate their lunch satisfactorily before getting back again to practice and paperworks for the afternoon.

--------------------------------

Later that evening at the car park od SMent building, Taeyeon and Tiffany were by themselves, hanging unto each other like lovers would do.

"Taetae. Sorry I can't have dinner with you. Jessica wanted some bestfriend times tonight."Tiffany held Taeyeon's hand as she gave the her an apologetic smile.

"I understand. Your need time with your friend too. If that's the case, I'll hang out with Yuri" Taeyeon pouted clutching on to her grip. She then kissed the back of Tiffany's hands as a gesture of affection.

Tiffany blushed at the hallyu star who was very understanding with their situation for that night. "Arasso. I'll go ahead. Remember tomorrow afternoon, you've got another radio show. Secretary Kwan will have to pick you up. I have to supervise some people at the stadium."

"Aww...another day without you? Your work ." Taeyeon whined like a child as she didn't want to let go of Tiffany. 

"Yah. Yours too." Tiffany waggishly said back.

The 'couple' then hugged each other and said their goodbyes. Both of them wouldn't see each other again for the next day because of work but they had to do what they needed to do. Before Tiffany opened up the door to the black van, she scanned the carpark and gave Taeyeon a short kiss. This plastered a huge grin on the short gal and in return, she playfully slapped her managers as Tiffany climbed in the driver's seat. 

Once Taeyeon watched the van disappear in sight, Yuri came out of the elevator and approached her car. Taeyeon instantly spotted the tanned girl and called out for her buddy.

"Yah Yuri-ah, wanna grab a drink at my place?" Taeyeon nudged as she reached Yuri's side.

Yuri was checking her phone and realized that she wouldn't be spending dinner with her girlfriend. "Sure. Looks like Sica's going with Stephanie."

"I know. Let the girls talk. Let's have some buddy time." Taeyeon laughed at her own comment.

Yuri joined in, realizing that both of them act like the guys in the relationship. "Alright then Taengoo. Since you missed me so much."

"Ha. Dream on Yuri-ah." Taengoo replied as she slid in Yuri's car.

Yuri drove her car with Taeyeon as her passenger. Few minutes into the drive, the two decided to just stay over at Taeyeon's villa rather than attracting too much attention at a club. With all the promotions and the massive popularity Taeyeon had been receiving, it was difficult for the two to enjoy a bottle of beer without raising a possible scandal. Yuri parked her car at Taeyeon's garage and the two easily settled down at the spacious living room. Taeyeon pulled out a couple of light beer from her fridge, flipped the caps open and returned to the living room.

"Here you go buddy." Taeyeon handed a bottle to Yuri and then crashed into her sofa.

"Thanks Taengoo. It's been a while I've visited your place." Yuri accepted the beer and crossed her legs, scanning her eyes around the unchanged set-up of Taeyeon's house.

"I know." Taeyeon breathed in deep as she took a gulp from her beer. "I feel envious with you and your girl. It's Jessica, right?"

"Ne. But why?"Yuri asked, confused with such resentment that her buddy feels then she remembered the lunch incident. Without beating around the bush, Yuri asked Taeyeon a straightforward question."So be honest with me here Taengoo, is there something between you and Stephanie?"

"Huh? What? Me and Hwang? No. no, nothing like that." Taeyeon denied, not because she didn't want Yuri to know but because it was the immediate reflex that she would usually give when asked the same question by someone else.

"Stop lying." Yuri said in a stern tone and gulped from her bottle." I saw you two earlier at lunch. The raging food wars have stopped. You're being too sweet now and it kinda grosses me out. That's plain obvious that something has been going on unless you both agreed on a cease fire or something."

"Alright. Fine. You got me." Taeyeon confessed as she took another drink before she continued with her predicament. " Yeah. We're kind of together."

"Kind of?" Yuri asked, eyebrows raised.

"Well, you know how it is. It's hard keeping it from everyone. Manager-artist relationship should not go beyond that plus you've heard about my little press conference incident. That paparazzi almost thrashed my career."

"You should have punched that guy. Given him a lesson."Yuri chided while playfully punching into the air with beer bottle in hand."But on a more serious note, yes, I do understand how you feel Taengoo. It'll be a rough road for the two of you. Just be extra careful so this wouldn't come out in public in a bad way."

"Yeah, I guess. Are we that obvious though?"

"Not really. I mean the public only see you both on yor schedules plus everyone else thinks you're very much straight. Well, everyone except me, Hyo and Nicole." Yuri laughed.

Taeyeon slumped back to her couch and raised both her hands behind her head. With much hatred, she blurted out, "Ugh. I hate being a hallyu star."

"Aish. Quit it with the negative attitude."Yuri said, nudging the danshin before turning back on her side to retrieve something from her duffel bag. She clumsily fished out a white bound book and two strips of tickets. She handed them over to the disgruntled hallyu star. "Ah, before I forget. I want you to give this back to Stephanie for me. I forgot to give this to her earlier."

"Ah, the famous handbook. She must have forgotten about this anyway. Wait, what's this?" Taeyeon received the small enchiridion but noticed the couple of plane tickets on top.

"Oh, that? Tickets for Jeju island for you and Tiffany. Surprise! I already scheduled your flight on the day after tomorrow. You two will spend a day there." Yuri said, gleaming.

"What?!" Taeyeon quickly sprung up on her feet which almost knocked out her beer and turned her head towards Yuri. "Why?!"

"I expected a thank you but this reaction is good enough. You're welcome Taengoo."Yuri grinned as she further explained her gift. "Well, since you messed up my vacation to Jeju the last time, I got refunded. Plus the hotel at Jeju made some offers. I called them up this afternoon and reserved a room for both of you."

"Yah! Yuri-ah. We're not even to that point yet." Taeyeon dropped back on the couch and immediately thought of honeymoons.

"Pabo. I don't mean THAT! I just want you two to spend time together away from the public's eyes. Understand?" Yuri directly punched Taeyeon's arm as soon as she realized that Taeyeon was thinking of something erted. "Yah! Byuntae!"

"As if you aren't, byunyul" Taeyeon barked back while holding on to the tickets. She still couldn't believe it. "But Yuri-ah. Thanks. I appreciate this a lot."

"No prob Taengoo. Just don't mess up my vacations next time okay?"

"Ha. If you give me free tickets and hotel reservations, I probably might."

"Yah!"

*ding dong

"Wait, I'll get it." Taeyeon stood up from the couch after hearing the doorbell ring. Before Taeyeon left to to attend to someone at her door, Yuri just raised her bottle of beer and urged Taeyeon to go.

"Delivery for Ms. Kim Taeyeon. Flowers for you ma'am." a male teenager greeted the hallyu star and handed her the bouquet which was covered with opaque plastic.

"Oh, ok. Thank you." Taeyeon received the small package and signed an autograph for the delivery boy before saying goodbye.

Taeyeon closed her door and walked into the living room. Yuri, who was reclining on the couch, leaned forward with curiosity as Taeyeon removed the opaque plastic cover from the bunch, revealing a set of purple inflorescences. Taeyeon abruptly picked out a card that was inserted among the blossoms. She broke the wax seal and lifted the small note. She quickly read the message and like the day turning into night, Taeyeon's face transformed from a cheery nature to an infuriated mien.

"You okay Taengoo? Is that another gift from your fans?"Yuri asked, quite curious why Taeyeon had such an angered glance.

In an instant, Taeyeon crumpled the card in her hand and dropped it on the floor. Fuming, she went directly to the kitchen and dumped the bouquet into her trash bin.

Yuri saw everything that happened, and she was totally confused with the harsh behavior. "Yah Taengoo. Why'd you throw the flowers away?

The hallyu star stopped in her tracks while she was walking back to the living room. Not wanting Yuri to be involved with her anger issues, Taeyeon calmly asked Yuri to leave her alone for the rest of the night. "Yuri-ah. I-I-I'm sorry. I'm probably tired from all the practice. I'm heading to bed. Just see yourself out." 

"What wrong Tae~?" Yuri cried out as she stood up from the couch and watched her buddy climb the stairs. She only paused as soon as she saw Taeyeon lock herself in the Master's bedroom.

What the hell just happened?

Yuri scratched her head and returned to Taeyeon's spot in the living room. With the utmost desire to understand the situation, Yuri looked for the paper that Taeyeon threw from the bouquet. She spotted the crumpled card under the side table and she bent down to pick it up. Yuri unfurled the card carefully so she wouldn't tear it up. It was a small ivory colored piece of paper that was bordered with gold lines. At the center of the card, a message was written by hand and Yuri slowly read the content.

                                                      

Yuri's brows furrowed as she tried to find any type of fault from the message. Frustrated, she flipped her hair and glanced back at the stairs that led to the second floor of the house.  

What is this? I don't understand.

"Taeyeon, I hope you tell me what's wrong." Yuri whispered to herself and tucked away the card in her pocket. She quickly grabbed the beer bottles from the coffee table and put them away in the kitchen. Deciding to leave Taeyeon some alone time, Yuri then picked up her duffel bag and exited the house.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------