The concert

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

 

Chapter 33

 

The concert

 

 

 

 

Thousands of fans had already lined up before the Olympic stadium hours before the concert. Compared to the previous events conducted in Seoul, it seemed like the number of fans had doubled and all were sitting outside waiting for the gates to open. Just beyond the doors of the stadium, towers of rice sacks have been donated under the hallyu star's banner and different fan clubs have sent gifts like flowers, cakes and plushies. Banners with fluorescent tapes, light boards, cameras, and flashing purple light sticks dangled in the hands of the fans as they waited for Taeyeon's entourage to go inside the stadium.

 

By the time Taeyeon came in that morning through the Black mini-van, a few hundred of her audience had already been screaming and chanting their good wishes for the concert. When she and Tiffany got out of the vehicle, a lot of the female fans rooted for the duo. Taeyeon waved back at them, clinging on to the green peas-in-a-pod plushie that she got from Tiffany and greeted some of the youngsters before going inside. She even almost had a heart attack when one of her samchon fan started cheering loudly like a general in the army. At that moment, Tiffany quickly grabbed Taeyeon's arm and apologized to the fans since they had to get ready. Taeyeon could only laugh at Tiffany's protective instinct but Taeyeon did not forget to wave back to her fans before disappearing into the stadium.

 

When Taeyeon got inside the backstage of the concert stage, she immediately greeted everyone in a jovial mood and wished everyone success in their work. All the staff greeted her with a genuine smile as they loosened up for the hallyu star. The past two weeks of preparation for the concert have showed everyone how much Taeyeon have changed for the better. She was more warm and delightful amidst the pressures and gravity of their work. Tiffany, right behind Taeyeon, excused herself and proceeded to her assigned task, checking every single detail and assuring everything was going to be smooth sailing for the night. Taeyeon, on the other hand, went instantly to her dresssing room to be greeted by her stylists and image-wardrobe team.

 

Without wasting another minute, the styling team started ironing and arranging Taeyeon's costumes according to the number in the concert. A few of the audio managers came in the dressing room and handed Taeyeon her mic and earplugs, both bedecked by Swarovski crystals. Taeyeon changed into her first outfit and the unnies in charge of her hair and make-up began their work. While chatting with the older women, Taeyeon went off in a daze remembering the day after the Jeju island escapade. 

 

At the stadium dress rehearsal backstage...

 

"Stop it Tae. People will see us." Tiffany swatted Taeyeon's arm once more while she was checking the sequence of presentations for the concert on her pink clipboard.

 

"What? I did nothing." Taeyeon raised her hands in defense while leaning against some of the metal props for her stage. A few moments later, Taeyeon's hands dropped to her side and she scooted over to her manager's side, pinching the brunette's cheek.

 

"Kim Taeyeon. I warn you again. Stop groping my !" Tiffany said while gritting her teeth and bumped her hips against Taeyeon, pushing her away. "Get back to work."

 

"Are you accusing me again as a byuntae?" Tayeon pointed to herself and stiffled a laugh.

 

"Yes. Byuntaeyeon." Tiffany smugly replied and marked some lines on her paper with a pink highlighter. "Seriously, haven't you got anything better to do?"

 

Taeyeon took the opportunity to slide in next to Tiffany again while her manager was busy reading. She tiptoed so she could reach over Tiffany's ear and seductively whispered. "Ha! But you like it, don't you Fany-ah? Remember last night? You made me want you so bad. Now, look at me, I can't help but take every chance I get to have you."

 

Tiffany's eyes widened and this time, she used her clipboard to hit Taeyeon's arm. "Yah! Shut your mouth and keep your hands to yourself. We were lucky enough nobody noticed us again at the airport this morning. Seriously Tae, you're hands were practically over me. I had to give up my precious dookong so that you'd stick your fingers into something else."

 

Tiffany pouted at the thought of giving away her prized vegetable plushie and clipped her pink board close to her chest while staring at the russett-haired danshin.

 

"Oh. So that's why you gave those three ies for me. I still prefer your though." Taeyeon replied snidely while circling her manager and giving a slight tap again at Tiffany's hips.

 

"ies? I said quit it Kim Taeyeon!" Tiffany yelled as she blew air into her fringes and attempted to kick the hallyu star on her shin.

 

"Yah. Are you two bickering again? Maybe I should lock you somewhere here." a raspy voice intruded the two women's conversation and an image of two silhouettes came in from the edge of the backstage.

 

"Hyo! Nicole! How long have you been behind us?" Taeyeon exlaimed in surprise and instantly moved away a few more feet from Tiffany.

 

"Just now. Waeyo Taeyeon-ssi? Are you two up to something?" Hyoyeon answered while clutching to her girlfriend Nicole at her side. 

 

Nicole bowed down slightly while Hyoyeon remained standing up, her eyes darting from the brunette to the chestnut-colored. Nicole greeted with a smile and being the most observant from the group, she immediately saw something different on Taeyeon's wrist. " Annyong Tiffany-ssi... Taeyeon-ssi. It was great we had a break yesterday! Hyo and I were able to relax. I hope both of you did enjoy a day off work...I can't wait for the concert tomorrow.

 

"Good morning to you two. I'm glad you and Hyoyeon enjoyed the very short break yesterday. Tae also had some time off but I believe all of you have a strenuous day ahead. I'm looking forward to the success in the concert" Tiffany replied, showing her chinks to the couple.

 

"Of course Tiffany-ssi. We're more than ready!" Nicole returned Tiffany's smile with her own but couldn't help her curiosity. "But...uhmmm...wait... Taeyeon-ssi, what's wrong with your wrist? Why is it all bandaged up? Did you hurt your hand yesterday?"

 

Tiffany had not noticed that Taeyeon indeed had her right wrist bandaged and then she remembered what Taeyeon did to her the night before at the suite. She swallowed her saliva and felt sorry for her lover. It must have been about that since she couldn't think of any incident where Taeyeon might have injured her hand. Taeyeon, on the contrary, who was taken aback, quickly thought of an explanation to hide the truth."Ah this? Anni. Opsseo. It's nothing, just for better grip later when dancing."

 

Taeyeon almost bit her tongue for the little white lie. Tiffany had a sympathetic look on her face and she inched closer to Taeyeon such that only the two of them could hear. Hyoyeon was still eyeing both women but she still couldn't connect the dots somehow.

 

"Why didn't you tell me about your wrist Tae?" Tiffany whispered. "I feel so sorry."

"Anniya. It's not your fault." Taeyeon hid her hand shamefully and nudged Tiffany's back. "I said I'm okay. Don't worry about it. It has just been a while for...you know..."

Hyoyeon was about to pry about the enigmatic bandaged hand but was interrupted by the arrival of another person.

"Wassup Taengoo...Stephanie...Hyonic" Yuri groggily greeted all members in the huddled group.

"Yuri-playa!" Hyo raised her hand for a high five but instantly brought it down when she noticed how wrapped up Yuri was. "Eh? What the heck happened to you? What's with the turtleneck and the shades? You sick or something? The concert is tomorrow! You're not supposed to catch a cold or anything!"

Taeyeon also inspected Yuri and was momentarily worried for her buddy. She couldn't believe that the health nut could have easily gone down with some illness. There should be another reason. After a few more seconds of observation, Taeyeon understood instantly why Yuri was dressed up that way and a sly smile curved into her lps.

"Uhmm..nothing. Fashion...fashion trend" Yuri lied as she tried to cover as much skin as she could on her neckline. Her day with Jessica left her with multiple kiss marks over her neck and chest, making it hard to hide from other people.

"Didn't know you were in for such high class fashion Yuri-ah. Must be some wild fashion revelation you had yesterday." Taeyeon joked.

Yuri immediately caught on what her shorter buddy said and she threw back a reply. "I see you hurt your hand. Make sure to get more practice next time."

Taeyeon jolted from the response. She didn't exactly know whether Yuri had an idea about what happened between her and Tiffany but it was safer to keep her muth shut instead. Yuri merely smiled as Taeyeon's awkward silence only meant a  yes for her accusation.

"Yuri. We're doing a dress rehearsal. Aren't you going to steam yourself in that outfit?" Nicole joked as she looked at Yuri from head to toe.

"S-S-Steam?" Taeyeon choked as she repeated the word. She tugged on her collar as she felt herself redden at that moment. "Ughmmm...hehehe."

Tiffany jumped in her place as she heard Taeyeon mention something related to the bathhouse. In order for them not be caught, Tiffany excused herself before entirely blushing. "Ehem...I gotta go and check the audio. You guys stay here and ehem...warm up. I'll be back in a few minutes."

Tiffany walked a few steps away from the group but stopped momentarily beside Yuri and whispered. "By the way, thanks Yuri for yesterday."

 

"No prob Stephanie. How did Jeju go~?" Yuri carelessly replied but Tiffany had already sped her way to the direction of the sound controllers.

 

"Quiet Yuri." Taeyeon immediately nudged the tanned girl.

 

"Jeju? Did you guys go to Jeju? Something's telling me there's something going on here. Why isn't anybody telling Hyo? C'mon!" Hyoyeon complained as she sensed something was being hidden from her detective like ears. "Both of you are hiding something from me!"

 

"Nothing Hyo. Seriously." Yuri quickly reacted and denied Hyo's assumptions. Once Hyoyeon simmered down, the hallyu star's buddy poked and whispered to Taeyeon. "Yah Taengoo. You better tell me what happened later. I'm extremely curious about your wrist. You better spill some details."

 

"Yah Yuri-ah! You tell me what happened to you! I can clearly see one right behind your ear." Taeyeon barked back and Yuri immediately brought her hand up to her neck to cover whatever it is that Taeyeon mentioned.

 

Realizing that there's no time to play around and the two bestfriends are not ready enough to share their little stories, Hyoyeon called up everyone for the upcoming performance. "Alright! Come on. Come on! Let's go. Time for the rehearsal on the true stage. We've got less than a day to perfect this! YAH! KIDDOS! Dongsaengs huddle up! Taeyeon-ssi, get your up here."

"Arasso! Geez, you're hyped up today Hyo!"

"Well, get your moving. It's your concert anyway!"

"I know that...alright! Guys! Let's get this moving then!"

All of the performers along with the people in charge with lighting and sound systems congregated before the stage and Taeyeon directed everyone on how she wanted everything set-up along with the assistance of her manager. The whole dress rehearsal went by smoothly and before everyone left for the much needed rest before the big event, all the personnel who koined in the practice raised their fists up in the air and shouted with much fervor.

 

"FIGHTING!!!"

 

-end of dress rehearsal flashback-

 

"Break a leg Tae." Tiffany cheered on Taeyeon as they were the only ones left inside the dressing room. The two women were surrounded by clothes, make-up, paperbags, gifts, cakes and flowers from fans. Taeyeon had both her palms flat on the make-up vanity table, watching her reflection. She was already dressed in her signature black feathered vest and leather pants.

 

"Break my what? Do you want me to hurt myself?" Taeyeon broke from her own stare and turned her head towards her manager, extremely confused with what Tiffany had said.

 

"Anni Tae. It's what they say at broadway when you wish the performer good luck. Pabo. I don't want you to get hurt." Tiffany said slowly and then backhugged Taeyeon as she settled her chin on the hallyu star's shoulder and checked both their reflections in the mirror.

 

"Tiffany, what are you doing here? Shoudn't you be out with the PDs? " Taeyeon lifted her hand and and ruffled the bangs on Tiffany's forehead.

 

"Have you forgotten that I'm your manager? I have to check on you y'know." Tiffany playfully replied and hugged her lover tighter.

 

"Oh. Gure. Sure Tiffany." Taeyeon managed to smile but hung her head low.

 

"Tae? Why the long face? Are you nervous?" Tiffany asked as she moved away and sandwiched Taeyeon's bandaged hand between her own palms.

 

"Nah? Me? Anni. I'm a hallyu star, remember?" Taeyeon pretended to boast as she gripped her hand on Tiffany's fingers.

 

"Stop pretending, I know when you're nervous or not. C'mon relax. You've been doing this for several times now. You'll do great in the concert." Tiffany urged Taeyeon, building up her confidence.

 

"Okay. Aaaahhh. I'm so pumped but scared at the same time. Have you seen the number of people out there?" Taeyeon exhaled from the immense pressure she had been feeling ever since she saw the lines outside the stadium.

 

Tiffany knew how tensed Taeyeon was and she herself couldn't imagine how Taeyeon alone was able to handle such weight of expectations from her fans in her previous concert events. With her compassionate cresecent-moon eye smile, Tiffany patted Taeyeon's back and encouraged her hallyu star girlfriend. "Yes Tae. They're all cheering for you but, you know, out of those people raising their light boards and screaming, someone right here cheers for you quietly with all her heart."

 

Taeyeon saw Tiffany held out her hand and touched the left side of her chest, feeling the pumping muscle under her bossom. Filled with warmth and courage from what Tiffany did, Taeyeon affectionately responded by expressing her love."Saranghae Tiffany."

 

The brunette smiled at the instant she heard her lover say those words and she immediately replied back playfully. "Love you too, Ms. Hallyu star." 

 

"Ms. Kim, ready in 5 minutes! Good luck! If there's anything bothering you, just tell us." the stage manager called out from outside the dressing room. Taeyeon and Tiffany stood up quickly and went out of the dressing room with their game faces on. 

 

Full of confidence and authority, Taeyeon called out to all the performers. She waved her fist in the air and hooted, increasing the hype backstage."Ne! Alright guys! Dancers, huddle up! It's showtime!"

 

"Good luck Taengoo." Yuri called out as she was preparing her outfit for the next number.

 

"We'll join you at the last number Taeyeon-ssi!" Nicole followed up and grabbed Hyoyeon by the collar.

 

Everyone else bid their good wishes and watched the hallyu star and her back-ups disappear into the underground stage and into the platform lifts. With one last outburst from the staff, everyone yelled in excitement. "Go get 'em Kim Taeyeon! Fighting!"

 

The concert had already started, a sea of the purple light sticks paraded over the heads of the audience. They all anticipated for Taeyeon's booming entrance and several video clips had started to play on the gigantic screens. At the top of the boxed section in the audience area, exclusive for only a few of the VIPs, a woman with her simple motorcycle jacket and her broad-shouldered blazer-suited manager waited. BoA watched the audience get all excited when the whole stadium dimmed and everyone just waved their sticks in the air. Slowly, she heard rustling over her left side and a faint clearing of one's throat that marked someone's entrance.

 

"I knew you'd come." BoA said without turning her head to the left. Clearly, from her peripheral vision, she could see the bright honey-colored bob haircut of the shortie setting in her seat.

 

"What made you think I had come to see you?" Sunny replied as she donned her favorite army cap on her head, concealing her blonde hair.

 

"Not me? Oh. So then you came to see Taeyeon perform?" BoA repulsed.

 

Sunny remained silent, not answering to BoA's question. BoA's manager simply bent his head forward and sneaked in a glance at the person her client was talking to in a low tone. Boa just smirked at the absence of a response.

 

"Your silence just answered my question. There's no need to explain Soonkyu. We spent our training days together. Do you really think I wouldn't be able to notice?" BoA hinted on Sunny, making the scene a bit uncomfortable.

 

"I don't understand. What did you notice what unnie?" Sunny whispered through gritted teeth. BoA was able to hear everything Sunny said despite the roaring chants from the crowd and as the clips on the screens started to flash images of Taeyeon, less than a second apart from each other.

 

"Don't play pretend my dear hoobae. I practically grew up with both of you. From the start, I knew you liked Taeyeon. The question is do you still like her until now." BoA raised her voice loud enough so that her voice can surpass the crowd's wail and Sunny definitely heard the other woman clear.

 

At that moment, Taeyeon came out from the bottom of the stage and she was raised above the crowd on a platform. She started her performance on her single the Devil's cry and the crowd howled to the music with her.  Sunny looked up at Taeyeon for the first time after three long years and she was just star-strucked. Her beloved co-trainee have bloomed like an everlasting flower, beauty and voice beyond compare. Sunny's heart still thumped at the sight of the goddess. She suddenly remembered the times spent together. BoA smirked and faked a cough, distracting Sunny from her trance.

 

"Judging on how you're still awestruck by that danshin, I believe I am more than a hundred percent right. Now, if you still like her, well, wouldn't it be great if you get closer again? By let's say becoming a hallyu star? If you debut, there's a better chance for the two of you to do projects together. Or even the three of us together. Like old times. What do you think, Sunny?" BoA tried to convince the junior.

 

Sunny wrinkled her forehead. She was still watching Taeyeon from her seat. She had yearned for the person performing before and BoA's offer was starting to lure her. "Like old times? I don't understand why you're doing this BoA-unnie. Past is past."

 

"I missed both of your company. You know how sad it is to be a star on its own. Taeyeon has been quite the loner after you left. She wouldn't even talk to me. With you back, we can bring back the past. Well, we can make our past our future too. Just like we three have dreamed of. Us three, hallyu stars til the end. You like her still, don't you?" BoA continued on prying, wriggling her bait but getting a bit impatient from Sunny's undecided answer.

 

"My feelings is none of your business unnie." Sunny suddenly blurted out as she knew she was caught by her sunbae when it came to how she felt for Taeyeon. However, her voice softened as she asked the another question this time. "But..what about..what about her, unnie?"

 

"Her? Oh...you mean her...you know what happened that day. You know you should be there for Taeyeon from now on.' BoA answered quickly brushing the thought off the conversation. All she wanted was for Sunny to agree on her plan, to take the hook and go along with the line. "Let's go back to much more important matters, shall we? You coming here today...tell me honestly...it's not just about Taeyeon. Does that mean you agree with my offer? Do you wanna be a hallyu star like me and Taeyeon? I'm serious about it Soonkyu. We can start talking about business with the CEO directly. Time is ticking. You better decide. I only give second chances to special people I know."

 

Silence met BoA's barrage of questions and her patience was on its last thread.

 

"Fine. I guess you prefer running away again." BoA jibed, pushing Sunny's buttons and releasing her reel.

 

"Wait." Sunny grabbed Boa's arm as the original hallyu star tried to make her way out of the VIP lounge followed by her manager. "BoA-unnie. Let's finish Taeyeon's concert. Then...then I'll decide."

 

BoA paused at the sudden contact between her and Sunny. The feeling was strange since it's been so long that they had communicated this close but the tension on the string had made BoA go back on her fishing lure. "Alright, suit yourself Soonkyu."

 

Sunny loosened her grip and allowed BoA to go back to her seat. "It's Sunny, BoA-unnie. Sunny."

 

"Very well, Sunny." BoA lowered herself back to her seat and crossed her legs. A sly smile started to form on her lips. She had her safety net under the fish. The conniving hallyu star knew then that she had caught her catch for the day.

 

Two hours have passed at the concert. There were only about 3 numbers left for Taeyeon to perform and at that moment, the directors were playing a 10 minute clip of Taeyeon's journey as a hallyu star, starting from videos of training days, her first debut, the first award she achieved from a music channel, her first award at a year-end entertainment ceremony up to the most current concerts she held outside of her own country. The whole clip was like her timeline and several of her fans had started crying from reminiscing the past. The situation backstage was entirely different as everyone scurried here and there in preparation for the last few numbers. The whole hustle and bustle was only broken when Taeyeon arrived behind the curtains and Hyoyeon was shouting at the top of her lungs.

 

"Taeyeon-ssi! We've got a  problem!" Hyoyeon yelled as much as she could until  finally getting the attention of the sweating hallyu star.

 

"What's the fuss Hyo?" Taeyeon asked, not out of irritation but of concern, since Hyoyeon was flailing her arms.

 

"Haesung, your partner, she slipped on the stairs earlier. She twisted her ankle pretty bad. She won't be able to dance with you. She couldn't even stand up and walk properly without help." Hyoyeon explained, her tone full of worry.

 

Nicole came out with Haesung at her side. She had the junior's one arm over her shoulder and helped the smaller girl stand up. Haesung faced Taeyeon to apologize and waited for a litany of scoldings from the star. "Taeyon-ssi. Sunbaenim. I'm sorry I can't dance with you."

 

"Are you okay Haesung? What are you still doing here? Pabo! Get yourself at the hospital and have your ankle checked!" Taeyeon raised her voice, worried about her dancing partner.

 

"You're not mad?" Haesung asked. The other staff who had huddled around the commotion were fairly surprised also with Taeyeon. Everyone expected her to be heartless.

 

"Are you crazy? Of course not. Don't worry about my number. I'll figure something out. Nicole, can you ask one of the staff people to take her to the hospital? Thanks." Taeyeon commanded over her dance partner and instructed Hyo's girlfriend. 

 

Nicole nodded on Taeyeon's instructions and helped Haesung get back to the dancer's dressing room. Hyoyeon followed Taeyeon back to her own dressing room as the star used a towel to wipe her neck from sweat. "Yo Taeyeon-ssi. Take Nicole as your dance partner, I'll sit this performance out."

 

"Anni. Hyo, you should perform this with your girl. Not me." Taeyeon denied the offer and shot her towel into one of the baskets.

 

"But you're the main performer. This is your concert and this is the last number. Your fans have been raving about this number ever since you revealed it at your press conference!" Hyoyeon exclaimed on the verge of panic.

 

"Will you calm down? I'll figure something out. You and Nicole are going to dance with me on that stage." Taeyeon said and exhaled with her head drooping over her dresser. She closed her eyes and tried to refocus and not lose sight of ending her concert smoothly.

 

Think Tae. Think! Should I just cancel the last number? Maybe take Yuri's partner? No! I want Yuri, Hyo and Nic to dance with me on stage. ! Why does this have to happen now? Ah! C'mon. What should i do?

 

"Hyoyeon-ssi? Tae? I came in rushing as soon as I heard from the PDs. Is Haesung okay?" a familiar husky voice asked from the dressing room door.

 

"Haesung will be sent to the hospital to have her foot checked. I think she'll be fine" Hyoyeon replied to Taeyeon's manager while ruffling her permed blonde hair in disquiet. "But we have a bigger problem, Taeyeon has got no partner for the final performance."

 

"What?" Tiffany cried out in shock.

 

Taeyeon raised her head as soon as she heard her lover's voice cry out in surprise. With her back straight, Taeyeon walked over to the door and grabbed her manager's wrist.

 

"Hyoyeon. I've got our problem solved. Don't worry. Hurry up and get Nicole and Yuri to the dancers' dressing room." Taeyeon grinned.

 

"Eh? Otoke?" Hyoyeon raised her brow at Taeyeon's command.

 

"Yah! Mwoyah! Tae! What the heck?!!" Tiffany cried out some more as the hallyu star dragged her from the door and into the changing room for the rest of the dancers. "Kim Taeyeon!?!"

 

===============================================================================================

 

update for today...sorry for the typos...i didn't proofread anymore. i'm just happy i typed something more drama...