Welcome back!

Devils do cry (Hiatus)

Tiffany was reading her South Korean handbook, 'Guide for travelling' as she walked out of the tube from the plane. Struggling, she flipped through the pages while she juggled her slingbag, dookong plushie and her luggage in the other. Her face lit up as she found what she was looking for and then scouted around for someone to help her.

She walked up to the information booth and started to mumble phrases in Korean. 

"Shillejiman. Chom towajushil ssu issushinayo? (Excuse me. Can you help me?)

Even though she was speaking in Korean, her American accent was obvious. The attendant just smiled and replied to her in English.

"Yes ma'am. What can I do for you?". 

Tiffany sighed in relief but still conversed in the Korean language.

"My accent was obvious, wasn't it? It's fine. I can understand and speak Korean. I just have the weird American accent, I guess", she said, chuckling. "Anyhow, I need help getting to Gangnam district? I just want to get directions so I won't get lost even if I take a cab."

The woman nodded and searched for info regarding the address Tiffany provided. A few minutes later, the attendant printed off some paper and gave clear directions for Tiffany to take. Tiffany nodded each time the attendant emphasized on a detail.

"Ma'am. I think it would be best if you call somebody like a family or friend to fetch you so you wouldn't risk getting lost", the attendant said with concern. "I wrote down some official phone numbers that'll also help you in case something comes up."

"No, it's ok. Thank you. I came here to surprise my friend so I need to go this address without informing her. But thank you for your concern. I appreciate it." Tiffany thanked the woman again and bowed slightly.

With the information she had in the sheets, she hopped through the exits of the airport. Outside, she could see the beautiful city of Seoul. People here and there rushed in and out of the airport, ignoring most of the scenery surrounding them. Tiffany took it all in though; she had dreamed of coming back to Korea ever since she came here 3 years past. She was feeling all giddy inside that she couldn't contain her joy.

"Welcome back to Korea TIFFANY!!!", she shouted at the top of her lungs. She didn't care whether people stopped in their tracks to look at this crazy girl shouting. She flung her arms to sky in glee. Unfortunately, the little handbook she was carrying slipped through her fingertips.

Like in the movies, everything seemed to occur in slow motion.  Her delighted expression turned sour as she followed the direction of the book. The softbound sheets twirled in the air- rotated like a flying saucer and spinned slowly like a bottle on a rug. Finally, it landed and had hit an innocent coffee-filled paper cup.

"What the f----?!!!!"

Tiffany rushed to the person who shouted in fristration. She just realized that she has stirred a larger commotion than what she had done earlier. 

Tiffany bit her lip as she inspected the individual who was obviously cursing his ill fate. The person that Tiffany bothered was wearing a baseball cap and blue oversized hoodie.

Just great Tiffany Butterfingers. Now you made this guy's day. Tiffany scolded herself mentally.

The hood of the jacket was covering the cap  and most of the person's face so Tiffany couldn't recognize his facial features.

Irate, the guy shook off some of the spilled coffee while looking at the cup sprawled on the airport sidewalk. 

"Uhm...sir? I'm so sorry for spilling your coffee". Tiffany squeaked from the side, again, her foreign accent slightly showing.

The person turned around to face Tiffany and tilted her shades. Tiffany was surprised that the person she was talking to was actually a girl. 

"Yah! Sir? You think I'm a guy? What the heck was that for?" The other girl pulled off the hoodie from her head, letting straight glossy hair fall away from the rim of the baseball cap and into her broad shoulders.

"I'm really sorry. I apologize for the accident. Let me get you some coffee to replace that", Tiffany softly mumbled while glancing at the empty paper cup on the ground.

The taller girl looked at Tiffany with vexation. She couldn't believe what the girl in front of her had just said. She was about to belt her voice in anger but her heart swiftly softened up as she gazed into the loveliest pair of eyes that she had ever seen. Starstrucked and dumbfounded by the beautiful woman before her, she remained tongue-tied.  

Realizing that she was too embarrassed of the situation, Tiffany just kept quiet and smiled awkwardly. The other girl with the hood suddenly smiled back and Tiffany raised her brow in bewilderment.

Why would she smile after I splattered her drink? What the-? Is she thinking of some way of making me pay back? Otoke? Maybe she'll slap me. or..or...she'll pull my hair and drive me to the ground..then she'll use me to wipe off the spilled coffee? Or...or...

Tiffany dazed off thinking of the worst possible situations that the taller girl could do to her.

"Hey."  The girl in blue tugged and waved her hand in front of the other girl in a black coat. Seeing no reaction from the daydreaming Tiffany, the taller gal bent down, wiped the spilt coffee with some tissue, picked up the cup and threw both items into a nearby bin.

Tiffany could only watch the other girl attended to her mess as Tiffany was frozen in place from embarassment. She couldn't believe what she saw and she mentally knocked her head. 

"It's okay Miss Coffee cup. Don't worry about it. Accidents happen". The taller girl wiped her palm and then brought out her hand, "I'm Yuri by the way. Glad that you spilled my coffee.", she said and gave her best smile.

Tiffany was surprised but relieved at the same time that the other girl had forgiven her. She just noticed how attractive Yuri was with her cool hip-hop vibe but quickly snapped herself back to reality as she stared at the waiting hand in front of her face.

"Stephanie. I'm Stephanie. I apologize again for the inconvenience. Sorry about your coffee.", she said as she reached out for the handshake. Yuri's grip was tight but her hands were as smooth as silk. Yuri was equally mesmerized by Tiffany as well.

"Well, nice to meet you Stephanie. Looks like you're not from around here. Be more careful next time then." Yuri beamed at Tifanny.

"Oh..I...I will." Tiffany responded. In a matter of minutes, she was developing a crush on Yuri.

"Actually, are you in a rush? I have some time before my flight. I wouldn't mind if you join me to repay for the spilled drink."

Tiffany gave a weak eye-smile. This girl before her was becoming more and more attractive by the minute, however, she remembered her objective for that day. She still had work to attend to even though she just came from an 11-hour long flight. She could only groan and wished she didn't have obligations so she could spend a few more minutes with Yuri.

"Ah. I'm sorry. Here." Tiffany pulled out twenty dollars off from her pocket and handed it to Yuri. "I actually have to go somewhere. Sorry I couldn't join you for coffee."

Yuri looked down at the American bill and immediately recognized that Tiffany was from the US. Yuri just chuckled at Tiffany who was holding the bill nervously.

"It's okay. I was just kidding. You're pretty jumpy for a foreigner. Keep your money for your cab." Yuri said compassionately while gently deflecting Tiffany's hand away. The contact between Yuri's hand and her own made Tiffany even more rattled. She didn't know why but she was fairly attracted to this girl. 

"Oh. Okay. Well, nice meeting you Yuri. Sorry again. Bye." She quickly bowed and sped off.

Yuri only managed to let out a small laugh since she was startled with the sudden farewell. She looked at the awkward girl speedwalk and disappear into the crowd.

Disappointed, Yuri turned around to go back inside the airport when she noticed the little handbook that had hit her earlier. She picked up the coffee-stained enchiridion and realized that Stephanie had forgotten all about it due to the little mishap. She tiptoed above the fussy concourse of people and vehicles, looking around so she could return the book but she couldn't find the owner. Yuri decided to keep it. Maybe an address or something could be in there.

Just when she was about to skim through the pages, her phone rang. 

~Everybody get on the floor, wake the party up, we about to get it on, let me see y'all 1 2 step, i love-----.

Quickly, she slid her thumb over the smartphone screen.

"Hello?"

"Yah. Yuri-ah. Where are you at?"

"I'm at the airport you idiot. It's my 2-day vacation deal, remember?."

"Come to my house. I already asked my manager to cancel your tickets."

Yuri's eyes distended.

"Yah! Kim Taeyeon! How could you do this? You little twerp!"

Yuri cursed under her breath as she only heard the dial tone-- the other party line dropped the call.

"What have you done this time, Taengoo."

Meeting Kim Taeyeon and becoming her closest friend for the past year may have been the worst yet also the best experience she had in her life. Having a hallyu star as a bestfriend was nothing that Yuri would have expected to happen. 

Yuri just uttered a sigh of disappointment as she thought that she could have had her 2 days of no-Taeyeon while she looked at her ticket. She regretted not being able to take a vacation but she knew too well that Taeyeon needed her, especially when the hallyu star just calls out of the blue. Taeyeon didn't get along much with anyone except her and even everyone wondered why. She was more like a sister to Taeyeon and even though it's just been just a year knowing each other, they clicked. They had treated each other more than blood relatives since then.

She was eyeing her phone in complete misery but remembered the book and Stephanie she had met earlier.

"Well, at least something good happened today".

---------------------------------------

Tiffany was still flushed from the embarassment she had earned in front of the tall girl earlier. She fanned herself inside the cab as tried to calm herself down. She would have gotten Yuri's number if she just wasn't too shy. She wasn't too sure herself too if Yuri was gay like her. It could have been disaster if she got turned down after the coffee incident.

Aish. It's easier to hook up back in California. That Yuri would have been a great catch...

Tiffany pouted her lips and shook her head, dismissing her thoughts.

Argghhh...Tiffany, stop thinking that way! You're here for your job. Not for fishing!

Tiffany chuckled discreetly at her absurd behavior and looked out the window of the cab. As the cab whizzed by the bridges and buildings, Tiffany saw some landmarks that she remembered seeing in her handbook.

My handbook! Dang it!

Tiffany thought again of Yuri and the unfortunate episode. She imagined the book flying and then she remembered Yuri's cool character. Tiffany foundered in the backseat while hitting her head with her knuckles. 

It's probably lost now in the airport. Tiffany, how could you forget? How many times can you make a fool out of yourself!

She scolded herself again and again but she saw the cab driver spy on her on a rearview mirror with a look of concern and disquiet combined. Slowly, Tiffany recomposed herself, tilting her head and sat back properly.

Good thing luck was still on her side and she had the information sheets she asked from the airport attendant earlier. The cab stopped in front of a long line of buildings that were as tall as skyscrapers in New York. People crossed the streets like ants and everywhere you look, everything and everyone were bustling. The driver helped Tiffany bring out her luggages out into the sidewalk and Tiffany paid the man, thanking him with an additional eye-smile. 

After the cab left, Tiffany turned around and  surveyed the tall buildings. She spun to her left and right in search of a familiar place. She spotted a quaint svelte building with glass wall exteriors and several paintings could be spotted from the outside of the ground floor.

Tiffany walked up to it and saw signs of a new exhibit being featured within the gallery. She pushed the glass door open and let herself in. Gingerly, she approached the receptionist and cleared .

"Excuse me. Good morning."

"Bienvenue. Bonjour mademosiselle. " the receptionist recited. "Welcome. And a good morning to you miss. What can I help you with?"

"Oh, so you guys speak french here." Tiffany nodded and asked. "Anyway, is Ms. Jung here? Jessica Jung? Also known as Jung Soo--"

The receptionist was about to answer but someone just called out from behind.

"Tiff? Tiffany?"

Tiffany heard somebody in a distance mention her name. "Tiff, is that you?"

Tifanny gyrated to the direction of the voice and saw a lady in red and blue tunic plaid shirt. She looked so professional despite the simplicity in her fashion. 

"Jessica! Surprise!" Tiffany exclaimed spreading her arms like an eagle.

"Oh my god! It is you,Tiff!"

Jessica literally ran in her heels and crashed ito Tifany's hug. The two gals embraced each other and squealed like two kids. The receptionist that Tiffany was talking to simply smiled at the child-like behavior she just saw from Ms. Jung. 

Tiffany admired her very close friend as she pulled off from the hug. Jessica and her met back in LA when they were kids and had the chance to bond together when Tifanny was in Korea three years ago. It had been a while since thay were in contact and Jessica couldn't believe Tiffany was right before her eyes.

" Yah! Welcome back, Tiffany!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAAHH! I'm tired but I could't catch a shut-eye.