Chicken Again?

»»The Key to my Heart- -★★ (sick, brb)

 

Key’s POV

        I wasn’t much in the mood for making dinner. It was already late, around 7. To keep our bodies thin manager hyung made us eat normally at 6, but he wouldn’t know.

        “Minho-ah, can you cook?” I said, sitting down on the couch with a huff. He was watching something on TV.

        “No.” He said without looking up. I chuckled weakly.

        “Nothing at all?” He looked up at me.

        “Is something wrong? Are you okay? Are you sick?” He pressed his hand to my forehead.

        “No, of course I’m not sick.” I pushed his hand away.

        He nodded, uncertainly.

        “Get Onew to do it.” He said.

        “Onew only knows how to make chicken.” I sighed.

        “Taeminnie.”

        “Taemin might burn himself, he doesn’t know how to use the kitchen.”

        “Jonghyun.”

        “He…” I couldn’t come up with an excuse.

        Minho looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

        “I don’t want to talk to him.” I admitted, quietly. I looked up at him; he seemed to be looking back at me with a knowing smile.

        “I understand,” He said in a soft voice. Minho’s charisma was unresistable, and I already felt better with someone by my side.

        “But I can’t leave my family without dinner,” I said suddenly. I felt like a mother caring for her children.

        “Just order some chicken. At least Onew will like it.” I sighed. Such a sloppy meal.

        “Alright. Thanks, Minho.” I said as I shrugged him a smile and stood up. He just grinned and turned his head again. I turned back around and was about to leave when I felt his hand on my wrist. I instinctively panicked, remembering my encounter with Jjong. I glanced back worried.

        “Kibum-ah,” Minho said, with a reassuring smile. “I’m always here for you. As a friend. As a brother.” Minho was always very supportive of everything, even if he couldn’t help. It already did. I smiled and nodded, thanked him again, and went up the stairs.

        “Onew?” I called. I opened the door with a couple of knocks with my knuckle and found Onew on the computer. Again. His headphones were in the rubbish bin.

        “Get off the computer,” I said, pulling his chair back so he couldn’t reach the keyboard.

        “Aniiiiiii~” He reached for the keys and pouted up at me. Onew was a little too old for aegyo.

        “Yah, you’re making my eyes hurt.” I said, a smirk crawling up on my lips. He slugged my arm and turned back. I got up and started towards the door, then turned around again.

        “Anyways, I’m ordering chicken tonight. I don’t feel like cooking.” Before I could breathe in after my sentence Onew immediately fist pumped. I closed the door and could still hear Onew behind it.

        “Yesssss!”

        I noticed myself smiling as I walked out. Typical Jinki. He had lifted my spirits somewhat, and I chipped up as I walked down the stairs. I ordered the chicken quickly, the routine having been very familiar.

        “Ne, please. Ne. Kamsahamnida.” I hung up and sighed in relief. Dinner was done with, for now.

        Setting my phone aside, I stood up again and walked over to the kitchen. With nothing to do for the next ten minutes, I ran my hand over the countertop and grimaced at the food remains scattered across the counters. Messy. Of course, Jonghyun’s excuse was that for a “manly” image we had to keep it a bit messy. Right, of course, what was I thinking.

        I spent the next while cleaning up the kitchen. As I wiped the rug across the black granite, I struggled to keep my mind off Jonghyun.

        I sighed. I wouldn’t be able to live like this. Not happily. Something had to be done. Jonghyun was different from before, not as happy. I guess I knew why now. My eyes widened. I realized that I had rejected Jonghyun. I realized how much it must hurt for him, how hard it was. I was lost in thought as I wiped the counter, back and forth, not paying attention. I stared ahead, out of it, a tinge of regret nipping at my throat. I would have to be nicer to him now, gentler. I would have to find something to occupy his time; he couldn’t sit around sulking all day.

        My vision slowly focused again and I realized I had been cleaning the same spot over and over again. The counter was clean enough and I dropped the rag next to the sink. I was about to climb the stairs again, my hand reaching to grip the railing.

        The doorbell rang.

        “CHICKEN!” Before I could turn around Onew cried out and I heard his steps running to the stairs. He met me in a couple seconds and I handed him some bills to pay. He quickly grabbed the money and raced to the door.

        “Kamsahmanida!” I heard Onew’s voice ringing a bit too loudly and cheerfully before he shut the door. The smell of fried chicken drifted over, and I turned around.

        “You didn’t get enough!” Onew said, frowning at the couple boxes in his hands.

        “You eat too much chicken already!” I snapped and took them from him. “Go get everyone else.” I shooed him off, not risking leaving him alone with the chicken. We wouldn’t have anything to eat then.

        I opened the boxes and laid out five sets of silverware. I took out drinks and set them in the middle too. Even if our dinner wasn’t the healthiest, we could still be neat about it~ (oh, Key umma. =3=)

        Soon everyone was gathered around and settled in their seats. Taemin scooted in a bit more, and reached for a piece of chicken. I was still in the kitchen, having decided that we were in need of veggies to go with our unhealthy dinner. Minho and Jonghyun had just started theirs, and Onew was on his second. I continued to chop as I listened to the typical chicken dinner night arguing.

        “Hyung, slow down!” Taemin said after a bite.

        “Leader gets more.” He said simply.

        “That’s not fair!” Taemin yelled and waved his chicken at him.

         “No time to talk.” Onew said, his mouth full of chicken and went back to devouring his chicken. Aish, why was he leader?

        “Jinki, eat veggies.” I placed the vegetables in the middle and gave him a large portion. He frowned.

        “Chicken first!” He said, grinning, and reached for another.

        I sat down, Onew next to me, Minho across, and Jonghyun far away. I remembered my vow to be nice to Jonghyun and I picked up the box of chicken.

        “Chicken, Jjong?” I said, trying to pull my sweetest smile. He looked up, in the midst of one. Smiling tightly, he reached for another and set it on his plate.

        “Komeyo.” He said simply and looked down again. I frowned.

        Getting Jonghyun back to his happy self might be a bit harder than I thought. 

 

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

OMO I'M SO SORRY~ I'VE BEEN MAKING YOU GUYS WAIT SOOOO LONG! AND I HAVE GONE DOWN A FEW SUBSCRIBERS, BUT I UNDERSTAND. I'M SORRY AGAIN~ I PROMISE TO BE MORE PERSISTENT WITH THIS FIC FROM NOW ON. >n<

(CHICKEN DUBU. :D)