Rhythm

For You

 Opening the door to 2PM's dorm was like finding the entrance to the world of juxtaposition. Six well dressed attractive men stood before me, but in a place that was fit for a sixteen year old boy's party. I could tell they had tried to clean up, tried being the key word. A bare floor with clothing busting from underneath the couch, and a clean counter top with dishes piled sky high in the sink. By the looks on their faces, I assumed that the women Jay and Khun usually brought to meet them were the complete opposite of me. They just stood in a line, looking eager to know where the hell I came from. At first, I was worried I wouldn't be able to tell the other five members apart, but each one had a distinct feature; chubby cheeks, toothy grin, stunning eye smile, Italian nose, and super sleek hair. While they were all busy evaluating me, I took the opportunity to introduce myself,


"Anyounghaseyo, Wen-imnida,"
In turn, they did the same.


"Anyounghaseyo, Wooyoung-imnida" greeted the one with chubby cheeks. He just looked so adorable for a man in his twenties.

"Hope you don't mind our messy place, it was just because of such short notice". Wooyoung stared straight at Jay and Khun with big bug eyes.


"Not their fault they can pick up women dongsaeng" teased the one with a toothy grin , "I'm Taecyeon, but you can call me Taec",he bowed towards me.

Eventually, I learned all their names; Wooyoung, Taecyeon, Junho, Changsung, and Junsu, plus Jay and Khun of course.


"Would you like ddukbokki or fish bread Wen-ssi?" offered Changsung


"Sure, I'd love to try some"


Changsung just look dumbfounded, stuttering,


"Y-you have never had ddukbokki ?"


I shook my head. Growing up, I never did eat cultural food very much, mostly because I knew so little about my culture, plus I had no good Korean or even oriental friends.


"Good thing you brought her here hyung" said Changsung, grabbing some ddukbokki, a smile appearing on his face.


We ate some of the ddukbokki, but i ended up devouring it myself. The boys all lost the silent manner from about five minutes ago, calling eachother babo and other names. Jay and Khun explained separately how they met me, with a dramatic performance, using the other members as needed to put on the scene. All of us were laughing hysterically, especially when Jay did his impression of the over-cutesy fan girls on the plane.

"OPPA. OPPA!" Jay squealed, clasping hands together and batting his eyes at Junsu. We eventually reverted to a more civilized fashion, with the boys asking me about myself, and vice versa.

"Other than designing, what else do you do?" asked Junho

"The arts are all I can do to be honest", I replied, chuckling

"So then do you dance?" asked Khun

"I pretend I can" I confessed with a crooked smile.

"That's good enough. Why don't we all go to the studio and fool around? The renovations were just finished this morning, and I've been dying to check it out" suggested Jay, making direct eye contact with each person.

I shot him a look that I hope scared him for roping me into dancing, but he just shrugged and turned to the others for approval. They all shouted very loudly 'ne' and 'arasso', beginning to get up from their seats.

"B-Bu..." I protested, feeling out of my element. Dancing with Korean idols... Intimidated?Nervous? Nauseous? All of the above. Maybe I shouldn't have eaten all the food Chan offered me.

"It's just for fun Wen, don't worry!" Wooyoung dragged me out of the room, but I had excellent lower body strength, and was able to grip by legs around a pillar.


Caught off guard, Wooyoung tried to get me out the door even harder, but still failed. We were now both giggling like mad, this game of tug of war I was not losing though.


"We'll have to do this the hard way then. Jaebeom! Taec! Get over here for a sec!" ordered Wooyoung, grinning at me with a wink of mischief.
Uh oh. Three beastly idols? I didn't stand a chance.
They were laughing at Wooyoung, still trying by himself to get me to leave for the studio.


"Stop being such a little kid Wen." said Jay, motioning Taec to come and pry my hands off from the pillar.


Together they counted,"hana, dul, set!"


My body was a rag doll, having no control over my floppy limbs. Jay threw me over his shoulder, my legs hanging over the front of his body. And my torso over the back.


"Come on guys, I know I'm crazy but I can walk. Thought I'd share" I announced into the back of Jay's shirt, muffling my voice.

"Oh no, we have to take precautions with you" Taec scolded, high-fiving Wooyoung as they scampered ahead.

"So, I can throw you over my shoulder carrying you, but you practically rip my fingers off when I hold your hand? You're a funny girl Wen."

"I wouldnt say I exactly rip them off. And who said I liked being carried like a sack of potatoes?"

"Well you haven't started punching my back and screaming, that's a good sign" Jay repositioned how he was carrying me, and than promptly slapped my calf.

That's when I started kicking like I was swimming in a triathlon.

"JAY PARK. Put me down this instant!" I screamed, but my tone didn't match since I was too happy to be genuinely angry.

"There she is" announced Junho, welcoming us to the dance studio. It was an impressive place, clear mirrors, and a new dark glossy hardwood floor.

"Against my will, but yes, I'm here" I called back, still with my face buried in Jay's back.

"Promise not to run away if I put you down?" Cooed Jay, with a mocking smile.

"Aish,..yah. Arasso" I grumbled out, having lost the battle.


He set me down. When my feet touched the ground though, I punched him in the stomach. My hand burned, his abdomen was rock solid. Damn the korean pop star criteria of being so muscular... It hurt me more than him.

"I was returning the favour" I said, shaking my hand to get rid of the sting. Jay noticed and just burst into wild laughter.


"If it is any condolence, your calf muscle was pretty hard too"

"Not really, but thanks for trying" I replied, playfully sticking my tongue out at him.

Jay took his place in the formation along with the others, I saw Junsu hit play, and the performance began..
The song was catchy, but their dancing was absolutely capturing. I spent a lot of time dancing, but not of this sort. My world was made of fouttes, pirouettes, and plies. I must confess, I do go out for urban and street dancing, its my way of 'rebelling' in my dorky arts world. I do love ballet, but the feel of not having to worry about rules is absolute bliss. When I dance from my heart, I feel like I can forget about my past for once. This is how I feel watching 2PM, now my friends dare I say, dance at this moment. Soon I felt my feet tapping, and the lyrics in my mind, *again and again, and again and again*
Before I knew it, they were done.

"What'd you think?" asked Khun, waiting for my approval.

"It was different" I saw Khuns smile slip a bit "a good different" I added, immediately make him perk up again.

"Let's see you dance Ms. Fashion" declared taec, choosing a song.

"Well..Uhm..." I muttered, hoping I could just materialize behind Chansung. Before I could stall anymore, the music began

*i go by the name of CL of 2NE1. It's been a long time coming, but we here now*

The gang seemed get pretty wound up at the sound of just the first line, especially Wooyoung. Junsu skipped over and took my hand, telling me to just to has fun, and then leading me a circle that had formed with Junho currently in the middle. I clapped and bopped to the music, but I lost all coherence when Jay went to dance. I saw him dance just minutes ago, he was good, but I didn't know he was that good. His isolations and freezes were so tight, no room for error. I heard Taec whisper behind me, and than I felt two pairs of hands push me towards Jay, who was still dancing. When in doubt,I just pull my lost and scared face, like right now.

Jay seemed actually interested to see what moves I would pull, stepping aside saying "go for it, it's a battle" , adding a wink af the end; probably suspecting I'd end up failing like when we first met. This motivated me to kick his even more, -in the most polite way I could of course. Prancing into the circle, I felt the beat, and then submerged myself completely.
I did windmills, that became flares, that fully evolved to elbow air flares; something I've been perfecting for months. . The members jaw dropped to the floor and their eyes stuck to me, as I walked back to my spot beside Junsu.
Jay just smirked, now that he saw I didn't have two left feet after all.

"Why didn't want to dance? You are really good!" said Khun, messing up my hair "JYP would have an absolute feast if he got his hands on your talent."

"Even if that was possible, the celebrity life just doesn't seem like my type of thing. I don't exactly scream 'Korean idol' either." , pointing out my appearance if it wasn't already obvious.

"Wait, chan, what time is it now?" asked Wooyoung urgently, clicking off the music.

"it's only..oh. It's midnight. " replied Chan. Suddenly he got a worried and strained expression, "...and we have idol army filming tomorrow! Ai go!"

"I'm so sorry guys, I kept you all up with my visit, it was nice to meet you though. " i picked up my blazer off the floor, "Good look with being korean celebrities and all" I waved to them all, leaving the studio to head back to the university.

"Oh no, we're not going to let you go home by yourself at this hour. One of us will take you home" suggested - or more so ordered- Taec. I guess I hadn't turned them all off completely, seeing as each guy had a big grin hoping to volunteer before the others.

Taec continued, " You all can go to sleep, and -"

"I will drive Wen home. Thanks for asking Taec" interjected Jay, slyly slipping between Taec and I.

"You are the worst driver Jaebeom. You ruined a Mercedes " said Junsu, using his Daegu accent for extra effect.

"it was only a scratch..."

"Yea, you only scratched it, before totally ruining it" laughed Junho, but still dead serious.

Frustrated with the members distrust of his driving, Jay left with me in tow yelling "conspiracy! It's a conspiracy! ". He stuck his head back in to add
"And you all better be asleep when I get back, because we have idol army tomorrow! We can't disappoint Boom!"

"Corum... " huffed Wooyoung, still looking bummed we had to cut our dance session short.

Jay led me to a back entrance, where a company car awaited.

" So... Did you really crash a Mercedes?" I asked

"it was a scratch! Just a scratch! I swear!" yelled Jay, throwing his hands in the air.

"Oh! I believe you" I giggled, trying to keep up with his fast pace.

"So, what'd you think?" inquired Jay, doing his nervous neck rub, leaning against the vehicle.

"Oh the boys? They seem great, all of them. I couldn't stop laughing the whole time."

"Glad you enjoyed it. It was definitely a surprise when I saw you in the lobby. Can't believe you met Khun at the university... Did he try and seduce you with his eyebrows?" joked Jay, but still genuinely wondering if Khun had tried to.

" My lack allure kind of shot that possibility in the face, so no" I laughed getting into the car.

"I need stop apologizing, and you need to stop putting yourself down. Someone out there thinks you are absolutely perfect" muttered Ja, as he started up the car with a loud rumble.

"Wait? I didn't hear the last part?" I yelled over the engine, pretending not to hear him. He just made a really good face when he spoke and drove, and it got me every time, so I was going milk it for all it's worth.

"I said, someone out there thinks you are absolutely perfect" repeated jay, raising his voice to the same level as mine, his face contorting even more, making me laugh even more.

"What? Again?" I pointed to my ears, implying I still couldn't hear.

"I think you are absolutely perfect" screamed Jay, but in silence since the engine had settled down at that exact moment. His expression immediately changed, from the one I found so entertaining to a very serious one. He just turned to the road ahead, trying not to look at me.

By now, we had arrived, and not a moment too soon - I was suffocating from the overwhelming amount of awkward in the atmosphere. Jay, being the guy he is, came to open the passenger door for me, still trying to keep his eyes away from mine. He escorted me down the deserted hallway, to my room in silence
I cleared my throat, ready to set things straight,

"Jay... I think w-"

I couldn't finish my jittery sentence. Jay had captured me in a hug. I thought at first to push him away, but my body wouldn't respond to my brain. I didn't just lay limp in his arms, I actually pulled him closer. I began to remember what it was like, to have someone care about you, but I forced myself to discard those thoughts. It seemed like Jay and I had been in eachother's arms for hours, but it was merely a minute at best.
I broke away first, looking at him through hazed eyes, not sure what I had just felt. He just stared straight back, then moved my glasses so they sat on an angle off my nose. It made me smile, like the time on the airplane. I hated admitting to myself that I had gotten my hopes up about Jay from the start. Turning away, and walking towards the drivers side, jay whispered,
"see you soon wen"

I was so deep in the moment, that I could barely resurface to the real world.
"night Ba-JAY. Jay ...-see you soon"

With that, Jay drove away, while I was still glued to the pavement, absolutely speechless.

Did I just almost call him Bae? That wasnt an almost, that was a definite yes. Of all people, why him? This has never happened before, this name slip. Bae and Jay are complete opposites: Bae was an arts person, like myself, who loved architecture. He wasnt the most popular guy at all, not even close. So when we first started dating and I was a cheerleader in highschool, we were the best grist in the rumour mill. What commonality connects these two so much,that I'd call him Bae's name? I miss Bae more than ever right now thinking about him, and I know what'd he say to me for being so clingy: "take a picture and move on". It's been years since the incident, I'm working towards my masters for gods sake. I've taken enough pictures, but I just keep collecting them and refuse to throw them out. .

I walked slowly back to my room, and promised to myself that I wouldn't let Jay get hurt because of me. I don't want to lose him like I lost Bae

- - - - - - - - - -

 Jay's Perspective

Wen, she is all I can think about. I've had lots of women attracted to me before, but what makes me so attracted to her versus one of them? She is so, so real. When I got to hold her, and she gave in and let me, I felt like I could love her.

I arrived back at JYP, but I just wanted to sit and let things simmer in my mind. I knew if the guys were still up, which they most likely were, they'd just ask about what happened. To be honest, I don't know what happened and couldn't tell them if I tried. I finally made myself go to the dorm, knowing that I had a long day ahead tomorrow. To my surprise, when I creaked open the door, all the lights were out and there was silence. I did notice a little note sitting on the counter, it was from Wooyoung

"When you see Wen sometime again (kekeke- when, wen, again) tell her that she wasn't bothering us, it was the most normal fun we've had in a long time! And Chan says that he wants some more ddukbokki, because she ate the rest. Thanks Jaebeom-hyung.
-Wooyoung"

I had to be impressed with how intuitive Wooyoung was. He always knew what to say to make someone feel better, I know Wen would appreciate it. I tucked the note into my pocket, so I wouldnt forget about it.
"Now I have a reason to spend time with her" I whispered to myself, leaving for bed with a smile.

- - - - - - - - - -

 Wooyoung's Perspective

I waved back to Wen as she left the studio with jaebeom-hyung. She was a really good person, I could tell. Jaebeom seemed to really like her, so did Khun, and I trust their judgement.

"Well that was fun" I chirped, putting my arms around Junsu and Junho. "What did you think guys?"

"Of Wen? At first I wasnt sure, but after hanging out, she is really cool. Hope we can do it again" replied Junsu, heading for the dorm to go to sleep.

"Looks like Jaebeom is moving in on your girl Khun-hyung" nudged Taec, shaking his head and wagging his finger.

"I just thought itd be nice if she had a friend in Korea coming from the States. And you're one to talk, offering to drive her home yourself before jaebeom interrupted" retorted Khun.

"Come one guys, it's obvious Jaebeom is pursuing her. When he fails, then Khun can try again" teased Chansung, making us all chuckle a little.

We all started to leave the studio, heading for bed. All of us wanted to talk with Jaebeom Seperately about wen, but he was right, idol army was in the morning. I remembered before leaving that Wen was feeling bad for making us stay up, so I left little note for Jaebeom to give her the next time they saw eachother -I'm sure it would cheer her up.

"Is that for Wen?" Chansung pointed at the note, "Tell her she owes me more ddukbokki"

"Ok, now go to sleep little maknae" I laughed tossing a pillow at his head.