Not Ready

For You

"Yobasayo?" I grumbled into my phone, still under Khun's arms.

"Annyeong, it's Jiyong. I just want to check on you, I haven't heard from you in while."

"Thanks"

I let the line go quiet. I heard him clear his throat on the other end

"I'm really sorry for you losing your friend, even though it was a fake relationship it was clear you were close. How about we go out today, at the studio?"

"I reall-"

"It will be fun, be there in an hour?" he interjected

I sighed in defeat, "Arasso".

The most stubborn person in the world once was me, but after meeting Jiyong he quickly took that place. There was no talking him out of his ideas. I did need to face the world again anyways.

I carefully wiggled out from the bed, not disturbing Khun. Hopping across the floor, I successfully made it through the guys sleeping bodies. I had to laugh at Junsu and Taec, with Taec's legs hanging off the end of the bed and the panda on top of him.

Within the hour, I had shlumped my way to the YG building.

"Wen" greeted Jiyong giving me a hug, which I didn't respond to. I gave him a shy wince and nod.

He clearly was a little surprised that I was this low key, and backed off a little

"How are you doing?" he asked caringly

I shrugged and played with my own hair, whispering "It could be worse"

We sat in the dance studio, Jiyong trying to start a conversation with silent me. I had nothing worth saying, nothing he would understand.

After at least ten minutes of mindless blabber, Jiyong asked dryly "How about a dance?"

I turned the tables, by accepting the offer. A triumphant and satisfied grin spread on his face.

"Really Wen? I know you can dance much better than that" challenged Jiyong, watching my lazy sways to the upbeat 2NE1 song.

I picked up my pace, and before it could register in my mind, I was hitting the moves as hard as possible.

All the anger I felt was pouring out of me. My anger towards the media for making me into a machine, my rage for Jay leaving me, and the madness for letting things go this far. Jiyong just went along with me the entire time, following my steps. Even though Yong Bae was the main dancer, Jiyong was just as good if not better. I was really getting into my set, when I accidentally tripped over a chair, collapsing on the ground breathless.

"Are you ok?" Jiyong offered me his hand while I sat up on the ground lazily. He waved it out again, waiting for me to take it,

"You coming?" he said, laughing lightly at my dumbfounded expression

Jay beamed at me from the boat, trying to get me over the edge. I knew he just liked to watch me struggle, but he held me extra close when I finally managed to get back in.

I shook my head, getting rid of the daze of the memory. I heaved myself up and brushed of my clothing.

"Let me show you something" Jiyong switched the music to a smooth R&B song. "Ready?"

This time I let him lead me. I was enjoying the fact we didn't have to speak, but rather just groove to the beat. It was great, I was feeling much better until a little thing set me off. Jiyong's hand grazed my neck, and rested right above my heart. It began to pound as the action sent me back. 

I hated how well Jay knew me. He always new how to get his way, with anything. We would sometimes go out on the roof, and dance around in the early morning when the moon was high in the sky. Jay would always tease me when he could feel my fast heartbeat from just him holding my hand.

Thankfully Jiyong ignored my passive attitude, and carried on. Hopefully he also looked past my stumbling moves.

"Almost done" I thought, turning around Jiyong. I anticipated one move, but got a hand hold instead. The music faded away as Jiyong still held on to it.

I was cornered, I had no where to run.

I don't get what made Korean idols think that they could kiss people whenever they wanted. My lips quivered under Jiyong's confident ones. He was trying to get a reaction out of me, which I refused to do give.

"I really like you Wen" he announced, pushing away a piece of hair on my face

I had to fix his hair, it was everywhere. Even though he was some guy I had just met on a plane, my OCD was kicking in. Must fix hair...

Jiyong continued suavely, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I wrinkled my lips, back my feelings. Not for Jiyong, but Jay. I wasn't ready for this, not at all.

Instead, I bolted out of the studio, grabbing my jacket on the way out.

I heard Jiyong's quick steps from behind me, he caught up as I turned the door's handle. He managed to wedge himself between me and the outside.

He began to hastily defend himself,  "I'm not a ladies man like the public says. Please, I love y-"

Jay whispered his final 'I love you' before leaving the dorm, the country, his career behind him .

"Don't say that" I snapped impulsively.

I instantly regretted being so strong, and quieted my tone

"It's not you, it's me Jiyong."

I hated using cliches.

"I know I could take care of you, better than anyone has" Jiyong reached for my hand again, lowering his voice "I would never leave you"

It was a Sunday night, and we were making some soup for dinner. I vividly remember how crazily Jay was chopping up the vegetables. That's when he told me he was going to Seattle, when he knew he wasn't coming back...

I shook my head in disagreement, getting past my emotions and into the coldest heartlessness I was capable of.

"I don't believe what people promise anymore." I my heel, and strutted out the building, "I'm sorry Jiyong"

I hailed a cab, catching his expression in the mirror. He just mouthed out more meaningless words as the car drove away.

There was only one place I could think to go. If I went back to JYP, I knew the guys would be there, waiting for an explantion of what was wrong.  Eventually, I payed the driver and hiked away onto the streets.

Through the overgrowth, I made it past the well known fork in the road and to the clearing. It was timeless, nothing ever did change unlike how Jay and I did. It was bittersweet to see the two voids in the grass, where we always laid for hours on end. I went to my usual spot and just imagined that he was there with me.

Would I ever date Jiyong? Maybe if Jay had never existed. As long as my memory functioned, the buried feelings would always be there, ready to resurface whenever they felt like it. In the future, and if I am still waiting, possibly then I would think about someone else. To be honest, I probably would still be believing he was coming back for me.

I still wore the ring on my finger, where Jay had slid it on. I still thought about the promise that came with it. It shimmered in the light with every twitch of my hand.

This was the only promise I had left, so I was going to hold on for all it's worth.