Masterpiece of Meeting You

For You

The smell of airplane food made me wake up, thanks to the noises on my stomach. Food is food, even if it is on an airline. I had woken up before Jay, who was still sawing logs, unlike the rest of the passengers. I saw that the stewartists were still well ahead of my aisle, so I ducked out quickly to changed into some clothing since we'd be landing that day.

I stripped of my track pants and sweater in the lavatory, and slipped into some casual clothing. High waisted jeans with a bold loose fitting floral blouse I had designed, and some combat boots. My hairstyle was low maitenance at least, seeing as the upper right was shaved into a stripe design, and then became longer, eventually shoulder length on the left side. After inspecting myself, I was satisfied and headed back to my seat, where Jay had finally been aroused by the noise increase by other people.

I passed the seat I had previously sat in and heard the girls whispering amongst themselves, and trying to catch a glance at me as I walkd by,

"I can't believe that girl, it shouldn't be legal to look like that..."

"I know right? The hair, the glasses... Is she a piece of modern art, or a prison escapee?"

"I bet the guy she is sitting with is just as out there as her, did you see the tattoos on him? I was too distractd to even look at his face."

I was used to people judging and criticizing my appearance, and just about anything else that I couldn't change. It still hurt though. I picked up my walking speed to my seat, and plopped down with a huff. Jay peered at me, and said

"Those girls are right"

I stared back, hurt. Does he not have a filter for his thoughts? I stammered back

"Oh. Really. I'll just be leavi-"

Grabbing me by the wrist, as I tried to stand up he replied

"I mean the part about you being a piece of artwork, a masterpiece."

Looking in to my eyes, straight to my core, he made me feel like I had someone that cared about me. What am I talking about, snap out of it!  Last time you got close with a guy, you just hurt him and you ended up alone. Absolutely alone.

"T-Thank you. " I stuttered in awe. My cheeks flared bright red. Atleast I didn't need to put blush on now. I had knocked my glasses askew in my haste to get out of my seat earlier, so I tipped them with my index finger to make them straight again.

Jay just sat as I readjusted myself fully, and than asked

"May I?"

I nodded, seeing as my quick fix didn't do anything, if not made my apppearance worse.

Taking both his hands, Jay placed my glasses right back where they were before, off to one side.

"There, right where they belong" he said with an air of satisfaction, and a genuine look.

"That was really cheesy, and embarassing what I said to you. I'm sorry" he apologize, letting a look of nervousness pass over him. He rubbed the back of neck, just like when he asked me to sit with him. 

"Don't worr about it, it was flattering. Oh, food! Let's..uh...eat. Ya. That. Eat." I stated slowly, but speeding up to a point of not being able to understand my words.

Nodding, Jay and I ate the boxed meal in silence, both of us not quite sure what to say.

*Attention pasengers, we willl be landing in Seoul in approxmately one hour, So please finish your meal, and return your seats to their upright position and enjoy the end of the flight*

Just Under An Hour Later

*Attention passegners, please put on your seatbelts and remain seated as we are approaching the runway*

I had a death grip on the arms of my seat, as if they were the only thing connecting me to the plane. My knuckles were white, and my face was red. The plan to stay cool and calm during landing was down the tubes.

"Wen..? Are you ok?" Jay asked looking over at my tense figure.

"Oh yes, just peachy. Great. Awesome. Splendid." I gasped out as the plane started to dip farther down. I didn't mind taking off, but I hated landing for some reason. Maybe it was some early memory from childhood, before I was adopted. Regardless of the reason, landing of planes or generally falling made me sweat bullets and worry for my life's safety.

Somehow, Jay pried open my death grip on the seat's arm. I only had one hand on a solid object, so Jay's hand was going to recieve my stellar grip. I couldn't careless if my hand was clammy, and cold, I just need to hold on to something tightly.

Surprisingly, Jay didn't wince when I started to squeeze the life out of his hand. He just let me freak out in my seat until we were on the ground.

*Attention pasengers, welcom to Seoul, Korea. Please wait as we have to connect to the airport*

I fluttered my eyes open, expecting Jay to have bolted after my episode while landing. No, he was still there, holding my hand. I exchanged glances between our hands, and his face, wondering when this connection would be broken, because frankly, I don't do well in any type of situation including plysical contact other than dancing. He seemed to see my anxious looks and let go gently, placing my hand in my lap, and saying

"I hope you're feel better. You have one killer hand on you, that's for sure".

"Now that we are on solid ground, I feel like I could spit fire and climb walls"  I mused. "Hope I didn't break your hand" I said sheepishly.

"Oh, here" I added, reaching into my bag. I pulled out a bandage and put it on his right hand, laughing the entire time.

"Thanks Wen. I think you may have a career as a doctor with a diagnosis like that" Jay teased, pushing me playfully.

"OPPA JAEBEOM!" screamed one of the teenage girls approaching us, "TO HYUN AE" she continued, shoving a notepad right beneath Jay's face.

Jay took the notepad, and signed it, giving the girl a polite smile.

The girl's eyes shot daggers at me, as she spat out at me, "As if Jaebummie would even glace at you, stop wasting your time".

She pranced back to the others, but not before flashing a wink and smile at Jay, using so much aegyo I could make paint my room with it.

"Is this what it's like? To have girls throw themselves at you?" I asked, truly curious.

Jay didn't respond, he just let his head arch down. Eventually he looked back up and said

"I am so sorry. I've caused you nothing but trouble this entire flight".

"It's fine, I swear. People say this type of stuff to me all the time" I replied. It was th truth after all.

"Well they shouldn't Wen. You are special, and not in the way people judge you at first glance." Jay retorted. "Here".

Taking a pen, he scribbled his number on to my right arm. I looked him, as a faint smile crossed my lips. I took the pen when he finished and gave him my number in return, scrawiling it on his shoulder, under his sleeve. He gave me a puzzled look, so I explained,

"I'm sure there will be people waiting to take pictures of you when you step foot into the airport. Wouldn't want to give them something to gossip about I said" motion to my number now on his shoulder"

"You're always a step ahead Wen."

Stepping on to the ramp, Jay turned back and optimistically said

"See you soon Wen".

"Goodbye, remember not to get lost" I replied, with a knot in my throat.

"I'll try not to, promise" he said, continuing to walk away.

Why was I nervous? He was just a guy. It wasn't as if I hadn't been approached by good looking men before, it was really just other girls I had problems with usually. Why did this time feel so different?

When Jay began to go on to the ramp, I swear he looked at his right hand and let a sad smile spread on his face, before plastering over a happy one for the cameras that waited.

 

When it came my turn, I got out of my seat and headed for my original one, since my larger bag was in the overhead storage. I strutted towards the seat with poise, and my heel, opening the compartment and grabbing my bag in one whole motion. I proceeded to get the hell off the plane, but I wasn't fast enough to avoid a snarky comment thrown at me,

"You' re so desperate, waiting on oppa for even just a look your way. Why don't you just kill yourself "

She smirked, not even a hint of sarcasm present in her voice.

I don't understand how youth these days, have the nerve, the audacity, to disrespect someone like that, someone they don't even know. I decided that I could either walkway and complete her smug satisfaction, or I could play her little game right back.
ing one of the buttons on my blouse, I pulled down the fabric slightly on my right, to reveal the top of my chest. The skin there was a murky jagged line, about the length of my hand. Around it was one smaller scar, half the length of the other. With a look of menace, I spat back,

"A little late, I already tried to"

Doing the button back up, I walked right up the aisle and off the plane, not daring to look back at the girl's face. I was biting my lip to the point it was going to bleed, and clutching my shoulder bag to the point my nails were piercing my palm. I held myself together, but I could feel a cloud of depression following me, preparing to rain down. I allowed myself to sniffle up a tear, and wipe my eyes as I stepped into the gate of the airport. I noticed that many people were lingering around this gate, more than usual. I passed the crowd and then realized why; Jay was there.
He was in the middle of an impromptu interview with a hostess that looked beyond ecstatic, she clearly knew all about Jay.
I felt empathy for Jay, seeing his star status in action.

My cheeks were still shiny, and my eyes still bloodshot, but I didn't care. I looked over my shoulder casually at Jay, thinking of how not one of those people will get to now him. The real him.

A blur of movement caught my eye, and to my surprise it was Jay standing up, leaving the eager listeners hanging. We made eye contact, and I was transported somewhere else, a somewhere where Jay and I would see eachother again. That moment died quickly though, and Jay broke our gaze, sitting back down.

Finally, I got out of the airport and into a cab, after a hassle at the ever-turning baggage claim carousel. I directed the driver to the Korea National University of Arts. The entire drive, all my mind could do was wander to that place whereI would meet Jay again.
- - - - - - - - - -

Jay's Perspective

Keeping a tone of enthusiasm was always the weak link in my interviews, and this time it was a little too obvious. I was asked the usual questions; what my future plans are, what music I'm listening toand of course if I had a girlfriend. In turn, I just gave them my traditional answers. I noticed that no one was coming off the plane anymore, but I was proven wrong as Wen half-walked/ran out of the gate. She stumbled a bit with her bag, and with her feet, not being able to keep a steady pace. Even her walk was different about her. A second more, and I could see that her cheeks were wet, her eyes were red, and her walk wasn't her usual one. Intuitively I stood up to to see her more clearly, and happened to catch her eye at that moment. Her eyes looked so, so sad...

"So Jay, what three things do you have to have?"

Getting a grip that I was still in the public eye, I planted myself back down and answered,

"My laptop for writing music, my phone, and a toothbrush. I don't know, I just like to brush my teeth a lot"

The crowd let out a laugh, so it gave me the moment I needed to focus not on Wen, but the show I had to put on that said 'Korean Idol'.

- - - - - - - - - -

Turns out, I had fallen asleep during the drive, and was awoken by the driver asking me to pay him. I was embarassed, so I hastily stuffed money into the outstretched hand, hoping it was enough. Luckily, being an exchange student, I was guaranteed a residence on campus versus an apartment in the city, so I headed to administration to get some papers and my room. I dragged my suitcase up the front entrance stairs, feeling like a pack mule close to exhaustion. Thankfully, a guy with very defined eyebrows grabbed my bag as it was about to tumble down the stairs. I don't know why his eyebrows stood out so much, maybe I have developed a thing for them.

"Komapsumnida" I thanked, with a smile of relief.

"You're welcome" he replied with excellent pronunciation, no hint of an accent.

I looked at him, and just cocked my head to the side, to which he explained

"I went to high-school in California"

"Well I appreciate it greatly you used English, so thanks. And you know, for not letting my belongings flood the stairway and create a safety hazard." I joked with a motion to my overflowing bag and buldging suitcase.

"Here, let me help you with that. I'll take the suitcase." the guy said, picking up my suitcase as if it weighed nothing.

"What in the world do these Koreans do for workouts..." I thought to myself, seeing the muscles in his arm ripple.

Once I reached the top of the stairs, the guy placed my suitcase down and turned to say,

"Hope you enjoy your time at this school, and in Korea. Bye ..____..." ,with a pause to to realize he didnt know my name.

"It's Wen. And thanks. For easily the millionth and second time" I replied, while sighing at my own helplessness.

"Wen. I like it." he called over his shoulder, jumping  down the stairs quick as a bunny, and out of sight.