Boyfriend

For You

 The steady beep of a machine woke me up. The room was stark white, making it even harder for me to open my eyes. When my pupils adjusted to the light, I saw a man gripping my hand. It was him; I knew it,

"J-Jay... Jay!" I croaked, trying to sit up for a better view

He pinned me back down, pointing at the IV since it was about to rip out.

"No Wen. It's me; Khun. Do you know what happened? Remember yesterday at all?" he pleaded. It had to be Jay, why wasn't it him... Who else would stay by my side, and hold my hand like that. 

A boy came sprinting in, beckoning for others to come also

"She's awake. Wen's up guys!" he hollered, scarfing down the last of a banana. It clicked; that must be Chansung. How did I know that? Who was he to me?

"Nurse! She's moving!"  added the third person entering the room. The voice was Junho's but the face; it didn't match, or was that just me?

On the other hand, why did they have to yell so loudly. I still had no idea what was going on.

"Do not panic, my name's Katie, and I'm a nurse taking care of you, you are doing fine by the way. Let me get the doctor, to check your vitals now that you are conscious. "

The little women hustled out of the room, brushing past six men who were crammed by my bed side. I looked at them more closely, and I began to become nervous. Jay (who apparently is Khun), Chansung, and Junho were the only ones I vaguely knew. Their faces were not familiar though; what was wrong with me? I heard whimpers, turning to see my hand being still held by one of them. He easily was the cutest of the bunch, with smooth hair and eyes that made you fall into them. He said his name was Khun. Was he holding my hand because he was my boyfriend? Did I have a boyfriend? The last time boyfriend I had was... Had I had one before? I was becoming frantic, searching for answers that weren't there anymore.

"It's beeping quicker!" hollered the one standing beside Junho, trying to get the doctor and nurse to return faster.

The doctor strolled in casually to check up on me. He rolled up my gown to my thighs, revealing patchy red skin filled with stitches. I freaked out at the sight, accidentally hitting  him.

"Please calm down, and let me explain to you. I can imagine you are little confused."

That's an understatement.

The doctor checked my mobility, having me wiggle my toes and such. He also did all the other protocol checks. Finally he finished, and began to explain

"A couple nights ago, you were hit by a car. It clipped the right half of your body, tearing the muscles not to mention skin, and fracturing your leg. You do have prosopagnosia though."

My highschool science understanding only went so far. I just sat in my bed with the IV drip, pretending I knew what he was saying.

"Your memory should return by tomorrow. Unfortunately, parts of the frontal and temporal lobe were severely lacerated. Already I have seen your difficulty recognizing faces, and being able to reason. You also may have mood swings, specifically agressive behaviour, and increased ual behaviour. "

The last point made me realize how badly I just wanted to pounce on Khun. He must be my boyfriend...

"Lastly, even though your memory will return, it will be warped because of your warped perception of faces, relationships, and reasoning. Not to mention your emotional state at the time you remember it. A good memory then, could seem like a bad memory now."

I cleared my throat, embarrassed to ask my question

"Who am I?"

I was looking right into the mirror at the end of the bed, but I didn't know the person. She was so gorgeous, he skin was milky white. Maybe she was a famous ulzzang, or a singer, or model.  I mean, maybe I was...

Khun began to cry, covering his mouth to muffle his loud heaving.

"Y-you really dont know" he muttered, as the tallest gave him a supportive hug. He was very handsome, looking very different than Khun with defined cheekbones and big ears. 

"Guinevere" said Khun, pulling himself to together

I wrinkled my nose at that name; it sounded like something a high class stripper or old grandmother would be named. One of those extremes.

"Well, everyone calls you Wen." he added

I liked that much better.  A piece of he puzzle came fluttering back into my memory. I actually was a singer, an artist. I performed all over the world, but they called me a different name other than Wen, they called me eMpress.

"I'm an idol; aren't I?" I stated, still a little unsure about that fact

All six beamed at eachother, nodding their heads. One of them came forward, speaking in a heavy accent. It linked my mind to the memory or my friend; Junsu.

"Yes Wen, you are an idol star called eMpress. We are a group called 2PM, under the same label as you"

"Junsu... Panda..." I slurred, slowing sliding the pieces in place

He nodded enthusiastically, "Yes; that's me. Do you know the rest of the people here at all?"

I began pointing around the room, at the people I remembered.

"Junho, and Chansung. It was the banana that reminded me." I watched the expressions of those two light up when I said their names

"Oh yes, how could I leave out my own boyfriend; Khun" I added smiling at him, who was still holding my hand

Apparently no one else was in on the relationship, seeing as they all just went absolute shock. I felt embarassed, so I tried to back up my reasoning.

"How isn't he my boyfriend. I remember that we slept together, and I just don't do that with anyone."

The tall one near Chansung rolled his eyes, commenting "There goes the increased drive"

The snarky innuendoes; his name was Taecyeon. I had this foggy memory of him wearing green cat pajamas. I don't know why that popped up first.

I stuck out my tongue at him, to which he laughed like a kid.

"Don't even start Taec" I warned

He got even happier that I had used his name,

"And there's the agressive behaviour. My little sister...." he said proudly

"Alright, I think this is enough stimulation for her memory. She is already doing well, remembering all of you, but I'm sure she is overwhelmed so we should let her rest"

All six agreed, and said goodbye to me. I mindlessly waved back, still confused about what my relationship was with them. One with chubby cheeks scampered up beside my head, and gave me a kiss on the forehead

"Get well soon noona" 

I smiled back, finding his action so cute and caring. Such chubby chee- His name was Wooyoung, and he had a pet chick named Peep. Now all six were back in my brain; sort of.

Last to leave was Khun, my boyfriend. Well, I thought he was my boyfriend.

"Sleep well Wen" he whispered, kissing me on the lips. Automatically I kissed him back, even though I was dead tired. The machine monitoring my heart rate beeped wildly.

"Wait Khun" I called, he turned back and came to kneel beside my head

"Yes?" he muttered with a smooth caring tone

"Do you love me? As a girlfriend I mean" I asked, wanting to make sure he actually was my boyfriend.

A smile slowly crawled on to his face, but it had a certain sadness to it

"Of course. I love you more than you can imagine, or remember"

I waved goodbye, and watched him join the other five guys. The group and I must be very close, since they were the ones to be at the hospital. Now it was time to relax, and to sleep.

Laying on my back, I tried to morph what I remembered into something understandable. My name is Wen, and I am an international singer who is friends with the six boys called 2PM. I was dating a boy named Khun, who seemed like the sweetest person there was; you could see the genuity in his eyes. I had been hot by a speeding car.

I took a closer look at my own body, horrified by the damage. I felt the bumpy skin up my leg as it became slightly smoother by my chest. These was something wrong, something not from the surgery repai work. The skin over top my ribs had black lines over it, squirming up like broken vines. What had been there before? The only recognizable parts were a few stray letters; an 'o' there and a 'y' here. I knew I had a tatto behind my ear, so this must be one also. Who had I gotten this for?

Tomorrow, maybe I'd remember more about myself. Maybe even my boyfriend would be there.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nichkhun's Perspective

"How bad is she, honestly"

I wanted a real answer from the doctor, not some sugar coated one that the press would be given.

"She could be much worse. The prosopagnosia is the main issue" said the doctor

"Pro-what?" I asked, not sure why he thought I'd know what it meant

"Her difficulty recognizing faces" he explained.

Yes; that. Wen woke up, and the first thing she did was call for Jay. She thought I was him, her beloved partner.  Wouldn't any person think that the one waiting by the bed side all night, making sure the person woke up would be the boyfriend? It wasn't for Wen though; it was me, again. It felt bittersweet having her believe I was her boyfriend. It is what I have wanted, but at the price of her mind. Maybe after she is up and going again, I will make sure she knows the full truth. That way, we can be together without any secrets. Jay kept so much from her... I know I would take care of her, much better than anyone else. Everything happens for a reason, and I guess saving Wen from her stressful relationship was it.

Suddenly, Wen's voice began to blare above every other beep of a machine and word of a person.

The doctor rushed in along with two nurses. They used many medical terms, before coming back out to the window that looked in. I had moved to the door, but I had been pushed out.

"What's happening?" I gasped, watching Wen yell non-sense and whip her head back and forth

"She is lapsing; her memories are being outputted through her sleep. What she is talking about now, is sometihng she has failed to rememebered conciously. All we can do is wait" explained the doctor expertly

"Of course I'm not angry with you Jay... Why does this all seem to revolve around you...I have accepted that this is what life will now be like being with you... Who said this was an argument!...Because I love you! You're all I have since Bae killed himself... "

Wen was screaming, directly quoting the first fight between her and Jay. The rest of 2PM had been listening from outside, betting on who would storm out first. I had won, betting on Wen. She continued to talk in her unconcious state, using the exact wording from that night over a year ago

"Sorry If I wanted to make you happy!..They just screw me over in the end...Goodbye Park Jaebeom. Sorry for ever believing that I could be enough for you...."

That was the end of the argument. She became motionless again, the beeping subsiding. Unexpectedly, she shrieked one last thing

"So come get me when I am!"

Now she was done.

I went into the main lobby in the hospital, where Taec was waiting. He had wanted to stay with me, while I stayed with Wen.

"That was possibly the scariest thing I've seen" I said, dropping into the chair next to Taec

"I figured; I could hear screaming all the way down here. What happened?"

I was shaken, so that's how I sounded when I spoke,

"Wen was lapsing, reliving events in her life that she can't remember when she is awake. She was re-enacting her argument with Jay"

"You have to be more specific" Taec repositioned a pillow he had been sitting on, "Those two fought a lot back then"

"The one after Strong Heart last year" I clarified.

"Well I'm sure you were able to comfort her some more" Taec cooed, picking up a gossip magazine. Wen happened to be on the cover.

I rolled my eyes, "It was a kiss Taec. She's in lying in a hospital bed, attached to an IV for-"

"Doesn't change the fact you kissed her,  and are playing along with the story that you're her boyfriend. She'll figure it out, and you'll be screwed. Or not screwed if you... Nevermind, you get my point" said Taec, going back to an article about Wen's career.

"I'm just trying to take care of her" I disclaimed

Taec clicked his tongue, and stuck out his bottom lip,

"Sure you are Khun..."

Around 1 am, I got up briefly to check on Wen. Taec had fallen asleep with the magazine over his face a long time ago. I peered through the small window, relieved to see her steady breathing. I wandered back slowly, taking an indirect route to the lobby. I stopped midway to watch a television that was broadcasting some news

"This afternoon at Incheon airprort, infamous ex-leader of 2PM Park Jaebeom arrived back home in Korea, nine months after departure. The hundreds of fans were wild, making the record for largest crowd at the airport. We wish Park Jaebeom good luck, on his comeback here."

Footage was shown of his arrival; he looked as haggered as the day he had left. His white beanie was barely visible in the swarm of fans and bodyguards.

I felt guilty. Of all times to come back; why now. Had he heard about Wen, was that why the timing was too perfect? I calmed myself down, thinking of how busy he would be, that he wouldn't come here. It was kind of sick how I hoped he wouldn't come, because I wanted Wen to myself. It was ok though, wasn't it? He had left her here to rot, and it was about time I stepped up and stopped him from hurting her.

Then I thought to myself, "Khun; he still is your friend"

I slowly lowered myself back into the cushy chair, muling over whether what I was doing was right.

Another hour passed, stll thinking deeply about the situation. For a distraction, I decided to take a peek at what Taec had been reading. I carefully lifted up the magazine covering his face, wiping off his drool. The covershot of Wen was very eMpress, if you get what I mean. Dressed in a slim purple dress, the bright yellow subtitle stood out even more.

"eMpress; the unforgettable idol eveyone will remember"

I slapped it back on to the table, muttering to myself

"Oh yea, everyone but herself"