Runaway

For You

I woke up in the morning to a dubstep remix of a SNSD song. I had an acquired taste in music, but I felt the need to listen to some popular Korean music so I wasnt out of the loop more than I already was. I just combined the two, and satisfied both criteria.
I lay in my bed, admiring the ceiling, still in a dreamlike state. I thought a long sleep would revert my mind back to normal, but no, it was still just as jumbled as last night.

*buzz, buzz, buzz*

I picked up my phone lazily, seeing I had gotten a text.

"good morning wen, hope you are well. i have something to give you. tonight at 9? Meet you at your room?"

A smile crept over my face at the thought of seeing him again. I really needed to stop thinking of him in that way, "snap out of it girl" I scolded.

"see you then, at 9. "

Message sent.

Today, I only had one class and that was figure drawing. I was horrible at it compared to others, my proportions were always so off making them looking bobble heads.
I walked into class and took my seat,  just to be greeted  by the sight of a man. Drawing from a live model -splendid. I averted my eyes as much as possible from the, how should I put this, sensitive areas that I didn't want to add detail to. As soon as it had begun, the class ended. It had felt very long though, partly because I don't spend so much time around men, and since I was anxious to see Jay. I wondered what he wanted to give me.

The rest of the day I spent at a park, painting watercolours of all sorts. Watercolours could be such a fickle thing, but it was actually one of the things I loved most. The sun had almost disappeared behind the horizon, so I figured I should head back and do some work.
I stepped into my room, and saw the pile of stuff still on my desk from when Khun had dropped by. My organization system had already failed, I had to give myself credit for at least trying though. I took the time to pick through each individual thing: Khun's drawing, a photograph of me in Greece, and a sketch of my prom dress on a napkin -just to name a few.  I picked up the last item on my desk, marveling and reminiscing about it, until it dawned on me it was something that I hadn't seen before. It was a letter, on paper that was browning with ink that was fading. I couldn't even attempt to hold back my tears; I let myself go completely. It was a letter from Bae, the day he killed himself.

My dearest Wen,
      If you are reading this, it means you are alive and I am not. Please, don't be mad at me, you know I couldn't live without you. I know you could live without me though, you are so strong. You made me a better man, better than I thought I ever would be.
When I left the hospital that night, and was told that you either would not last the night or would slip into a coma with a 5% chance of waking up, I felt like I had already died. Wherever you are, know that I am still thinking of you.
Writing this letter to you is the last thing I am doing. I know you'll get this letter at some point, seeing as you look after this sketchbook as if it is the only object of survival. I'm leaving it tucked in these pages, knowing you'll remember me. I hope you are reading this far in the future, so you have proof that you have and will continue to carry on. I'm deeply sorry we couldn't have said goodbye. I love you more than you could ever understand, and that's why I'm letting you go. Stay safe darling, we will meet again someday.

Always yours,
Bae


If this wasn't enough to collapse my emotions, a photo was paper clipped to the letter. On the back was a note also,


My favourite photo; you left them after we were in a photo booth, yelling at me "No! I don't need evidence that I look like a fool!" and then storming off. I took them anyways since you said not to, and you never found out. No one could ever replace you, you're my best friend.


I remember that day, Bae had taken me out for our three year anniversary. I let out a lonesome sigh looking at the strip of photos, they captured our relationship perfectly. The first was of us looking square at the camera, smiling like a school portrait. The second was of me getting mad at him, my eyes bulging out while the only thing he could do was laugh. The third is us puffing our cheeks with a peace sign, his behind my head making bunny ears. And lastly, the final photo was Bae with his arm around me, kissing my forehead while I laid on his shoulder.

I curled up on the cold floor in stark silence. I had cried until there was nothing left.  Seconds, minutes, than hours passed by lying there.

*dok, dok, dok*

"Wen, it's me, Jay."

I didn't make a sound, too emotionally drained to move.

"Hello? Yobasayo? Wen? Are you there? You ok?"

I heard the door crack open and Jay let out a gasp, and then felt him propping me up against my bed.

"What happened? Are you hurt?"  stuttered jay, moving my hair and wiping my face with his hands.

"Y-you came" I croaked, feeling fresh tears welling up in my eyes as I stood up

"Of course I came Wen " assured Jay, "Why are you like this?"

I dropped my eyes towards the letter and photo, Jay noticed and picked it up. He read them both, a glassy expression developing on his face. Looking directly into my eyes, he swept me into the one of the tightest embraces. I didn't even think of rejecting it, I hugged him right back.  I began to sob helplessly into his shoulder, not caring what he would think. Jay let me cry, my hair. Eventually the flow of tears dissipated and I was able to get a hold on myself and speak.

"Thank you Jay"

We stood in silence, just gazing at each other trying to see what secrets the other held.

"Could I stay the night?"

Jays request caught me off guard.

" I'm fine with sleeping on he floor "

"Well...Are you sure? You must be busy. I'm fine, really..." I lied.

Jay saw through it immediately, "No, you're not."

"You really want to stay?" I muttered

"I don't have a schedule tomorrow, and you need me" replied Jay my check.

"I'll get you something to sleep in then, guess we can share clothes after all" I replied, giving off a weak laugh.

I tossed him a large shirt with Pokémon on it, and some boxers. He caught them, and went to the bathroom to change. I laid out some blankets on the ground, and one of my pillows as he returned.

"I hope you aren't too cold or uncomfortable" I said, hopping into my own bed.

"Don't worry about me, it's you I'm concerned about. Talk to me Wen"

And with that, we talked. We talked like it was our very first sleepover. I told him the whole story of what lead up to the letter, and even what happened after. Jay just listened, and if I asked about his worries, he just replied "Tonight is about you Wen".
We fell asleep eventually, after hours of chatting. I still was shaky, and kept having to sniffle because of my eyes constantly tearing up. I peered over at Jay, he looked so uncomfortable on the floor. Somehow he had managed to fall asleep though. I saw his body shiver a bit, curling himself into a tighter ball. I felt bad, he was here because of my breakdown. I shimmied off of my bed, taking my comforter, blankets, and pillow with me. I sat beside Jay, and carefully tucked him in again with my bedding. His body relaxed from the warmth, and so did mine knowing  he was warm. I didn't even make it back to bed before falling asleep on the floor beside Jay

When I woke up, I couldn't feel my feet. They were absolutely numb with cold. I sniffed the air, and detected the oh so familiar scent: instant ramen. Jay held two bowls in his hands, and gave one to me.

"you really must stop being so selfless Wen" scolded Jay, placing the blankets I had put on him last night, on me.

"Well you needed them" I insisted

"...And you needed me" finished Jay.

"Well, aren't we just a pair" I smiled, sitting up straight against my bed with Jay.

For the rest of the day, Jay stayed with me in my room. I taught him basics of how to paint, draw, and sew -which he actually wasn't bad at.

"I think that fashion terrorist Taec should learn a thing or two from you" laughed Jay

That's how we spent our time: laughing. Not worrying about being judged, or being perfect.

It was nightfall again, and we were both still in pajamas.

"If 2PM hasnt sent out a country wide side search party for you, I'd be surprised. You should go home" I sighed, having to burst the bubble.

"I guess I should. What about your clothes?" asked Jay

"Don't worry, just give them back when you can" I answered.

We waded through the mess in the room, and opened the door. Jay took a blanket and wrapped it around me, and than said goodbye with a hug, lifting me off my feet.

"Oh - Jay,  what did you originally come to give me?" I asked

"Yes, almost forgot!" Jay handed me a piece of paper, "Wooyoung wanted me to give you this "

I smiled as I read the little mesage, "Tell Wooyoung thank you, it's very thoughtful"

"See you soon Jay" I said, wrapping the blanket tighter around myself.

"See you soon Wen" responded Jay, patting me on the shoulder, "And by the way, you look really pretty"

Wait, what? Was that a genuine tone paired with that sentence?


"So you like the slept in grunge look, with designer sweatpants and ripped shirt?" I mused

"I'm saying you look like you" explained Jay simply, not giving me a chance to reply. I watched him exit the hallway, thinking about his words.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Jay's Perspective

When I had first seen Wen motionless on the ground, I admit, I was scared. It wasn't until I saw her bloodshot eyes and wet face that I knew she want severely injured or anything. All I could do was hold her until she felt like talking. I spent the night, hoping she would be ok.
I woke up and saw her lying beside me, no blanket over her. Instead, it was on me. She never put herself first, did she. she definitely was one of a kind. I watched her sleep, in the least creepy Way possible, and admired how delicate she really was. She gave off the strong, independent feeling on thr outside, but kn the inside she was scared and alone. I was starving, and she would be too, so I made some instant ramen. Eventually she woke up, and I scolded her for giving her blanket to me, but soon The fun began.
The day I spent with Wen, was possibly the best day I have ever had. I felt so happy. So when I had to say goodbye, it was hard. I left her with something to think about for next time, so she'd want there to be a next time.
Learning that her boyfriend killed himself after she tried to, was absolutely humbling. She was such an inspiration, being able to build a life after it crashing. Those two seemed to have really loved each other. I wonder what she was like before this incident; another thing to learn someday. Her past still seems to have much more to it than just what I learned tonight.
I made a promise to myself after that day, that I would be there for her; whether as a friend, brother, or even a boyfriend.

But now I had to be there for 2PM, and accept the consequences.

I opened the door to the dorm, and instantaneously I had six people yelling full force in my face.

"Where the hell were you! We had an interview today!" screamed Junsu

"With Wen right? Did you have fun? Because we had to lie and say you were in Seattle for an emergency! We really like the girl, but you just like her a little to much!" blasted Taec, throwing his hands in the air.

"I have a reason, Wen-"

"Don't go blaming this on Wen, you lied to her too, didn't you. Saying you had all the time in the world for her." Khun waved his hands everywhere in anger, "And what are you wearing? Those aren't even yours!"

"They're Wen's..."

"See!" shouted Taec, with the 'I told you so' look.

Then all hell broke lose, all six going at me again. I was getting angrier by the second, and than I exploded

"WEN TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE"

My outburst worked. But I had just told all the members about her; oh no.

"W-Wen-n?.... Suic-cide?..." stammered Wooyoung, taking a seat at the kitchen counter, trying to regain his suddenly lost balance.

I decided honesty was the best policy. I told them the basics of Wen's story, ending with the fact that I shouldn't have told them at all.

"I had no idea" said Junho

"None of us did" added Chansung

"We're sorry hyung. We, we just never....Wow. We're sorry. Please forgive us" apologized Nichkhun.

"Thanks Khun, I'm sorry too for not even calling guys. I'll be a better leader" I said to the group as a whole.

"Poor Wen..." whimpered Wooyoung with a frown, "She doesn't have anybody, not anymore"

"You're wrong" contradicted Junho, walking over and putting his arm around Taec, "She has us now"

"What should we do? The incident was so long ago anyways." asked Khun. He did bring up a good point; what were we to do?

"I guess all we can do is be there for her, spend time with her; be in her life." I stated, sighing that there were such limited options.

"Hajiman otoke hyung? When we were filming the recognition epidose of Idol Army, Khun got swarmed within seconds!" pointed of Changsung.

"I'm sure we can pull it off, I've already got some ideas. We did sneak off once, remember?"

"Jaebeom, we got caught" huffed Junsu

I smirked at the idea of sneaking out again.

"Well, we'll just have to be extra careful them"  I stood up for emphasis, "2PM will be making an escape!" I yelled, stamping my foot on to the table.

We spent the rest of the night dreaming up plans. Taec's ideas were probably the worst, involving horrible disguises. Chansung's ideas came in a close second though, not even involving anything else but just eating.

"I'm sure she'd want to eat, since we kind of need it to live" stated Chansung with a 'no duh' look

"I doubt she wants to eat for three hours though, especially with how much you eat!" commented Khun, pointing at his sixth bowl of chigae.

Eventually, we got one decent plan out of it. It would take a little over a week for prepartation, but it would be worth it. Wen was worth it.

This could be the start of a whole new story.