Sooyoung's Birthday Eve

More Like Me: Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Sooyoung’s birthday eve and both Sooyoung and Jessica were just chilling at home enjoying each other’s company. Plus, Jessica’s parents did text her earlier that they would be stopping by. Apparently, they still had not given up in persuading the couple to agree with the idea of them moving in.

After Jessica’s last phone conversation with her mother, Jessica did manage to talk things out with Sooyoung. However, Sooyoung was still not keen with the idea of moving. Plus, it was just too weird to agree with the whole apartment suite renovation idea.

“Babe, we are not even married yet! How can I accept this? What if a few months down the road, we broke up?? Then where would I live???” Sooyoung tried to put her points across. But rather than making a point, she got nagged instead for having the thought that the relationship would not make it.

“Are you enjoying the thing?” Jessica said softly as she was on the couch next to Sooyoung while watching the girl playing Mario Kart. The palm was still not completely healed but Sooyoung still insisted to play.

“Yes I do. So so much.” Sooyoung smiled. She was really the happiest when Jessica surprised her with the ‘thing’ – Nintendo Switch. Of course, Jessica had no clue what she was buying. But as long as her girl was happy, she’s happy. “Thank you.” Sooyoung smiled and then she leaned in for a kiss.

“Anything for my baby.” She said after the kiss.

 “What time is your parents coming in?” Sooyoung then asked.

“They said around 8.30pm” Jessica looked at the time at her phone. At the time it was 8.25pm. “They said they would bring dinner.” She added.

“Aww your mum is just too sweet..” Sooyoung said in a sarcastic tone. She had a feeling that the reason why they wanted to come was to still persuade for the move. Sooyoung then lied down on her girlfriend’s lap while playing her new handheld console. Jessica softly brushed the girl’s soft brownish hair.

KNOCK KNOCK

The Jungs reached their apartment sharp at 8.30pm. Jessica went to open the door for her parents and invited them in.

“Hi Honey.” Mr Jung hugged his daughter and then he excitedly made his way inside. “CHOI SOOYOUNG I NEED TO SEE THE NEW NINTENDO!!” He cried out loud. Jessica just laughed seeing her father all giddy like that with her girlfriend.

“UNCLE WE CAN PLAY MARIO KART NOWWWWW!” Sooyoung exclaimed excitedly. So, both gamers went on to have a game of kart racing happily.

“Hi mum.” She then greeted her mother. “I brought food from The Pierre.” Mrs Jung said. It was an expensive Italian place. “Mum, I thought we are celebrating Sooyoung’s birthday?” Jessica frowned as she looked at all the food her mother brought over.

“Hm of course we are.” Mrs Jung frowned back.

“You know her favorite restaurant is just down the road of our apartment” Jessica informed. Yes, it was the cheap chicken place. “As I can recall, The Pierre is actually your favorite restaurant.” She added as both of them made their way to the kitchen.

“But I bought chicken from The Pierre. Chicken as in her favorite food right? What are you trying to say Jess?” Mrs Jung frowned again. Apparently, she still couldn’t understand her daughter’s point.

“Hm yeah, forget it.” Jessica decided to let it go.

“Can you put this in the fridge? I bought Sooyoung’s favorite vanilla choc chip ice cream.” Mrs Jung bought ice cream as well for the soon to be birthday girl. She could recall during their outing at the mall the last time, Sooyoung ordered that flavor.

“Hm let me guess, this vanilla choc chip ice cream is sugar free?” Jessica asked her mother.

“Of course!! You know I can only eat sugar free ice cream.” Her mother replied with another frown.

“Right.” Jessica sighed and just put it in the fridge so they could eat it later. Mrs Jung could sense her daughter’s disappointment but she was unsure why.

“Jessica, I am really trying here.” She went on to sigh.

It hit Jessica right away the moment she heard Mrs Jung’s remarks. It was kind enough for her mother to even drop by their apartment to celebrate her girlfriend’s birthday. She knew how hard her mother wanted to change and be more accepting of her relationship. So, she should just be grateful for that.

“I know you are. and I am so sorry.” She then went to her mother and gave her a hug. “Thank you so much for buying all these.” She smiled and then she helped out with the food. Other than chicken, Mrs Jung didn’t forget her vegan daughter. There were a few other dishes that Jessica could eat as well.

Mrs Jung even bought a cake as well. But the cake was a vegan cake since she wanted Jessica to enjoy it as well. Once they were done unpacking all the food, they carried it all to the small dining table. “Aish, your table couldn’t even fit all the food.” Mrs Jung whined.

Jessica decided to just let it go and not to respond.

“Guys, can you switch that off and come to the table now.” Jessica said softly to her father and girlfriend.

“Hi.” Sooyoung greeted Mrs Jung innocently. That was the first time she met the woman after her burst at the Sushi place the other day.

“Hi Sooyoung.” Mrs Jung nodded her head.

Sooyoung then looked at the food. “Hm I know this is chicken. But what is it?” She went on to ask her girlfriend.

“I believe this is Chicken Piccata. Right mum?” She looked at her mother.

“Yes, the most delicious Chicken Piccata you will ever taste.” Mrs Jung smiled as she took a plate and put one slice on a plate. Then she handed it to Sooyoung. Jessica could see her mother was really putting the effort.

“Hm okay.” Sooyoung took the plate. “But what is it?”

“It’s an Italian chicken dish where the chicken would be drenched in lemon juice. Something like that.” Jessica said. Sooyoung then turned to look at her girlfriend. “What are you having?” She asked.

“I’m having roasted eggplant pasta.” Jessica showed.

“Can I have what you are eating instead.” Sooyoung said.

“But I thought you like chicken??” Mrs Jung asked. She was somehow hurt that Sooyoung refused the chicken piccata, one of her personal favorite chicken dishes.

“Hm I don’t like lemon.”

“Why don’t you try a bit. It’s actually quite delicious.” Jessica smiled.

“How would you know that this is delicious? You don’t even eat chicken.” Sooyoung frowned.

“Babe..” Jessica said softly hinting at the girl not to be disrespectful.

“Why are you being like this? We are here to celebrate your birthday.” Mrs Jung frowned.

“Why am I being like what?? I told you I don’t like lemon!” Sooyoung explained.

“Honey, it’s okay. If Sooyoung doesn’t want it then I’ll eat it.” Mr Jung interfered as he forked one chicken to his plate.

“I have a feeling this is not about the lemon chicken. This is about what happened the other day.” Mrs Jung said.

“Mum, believe me it is the lemon.” Jessica quickly said.

“No Jessica, she is still mad at me about the whole moving in thing.” Mrs Jung reiterated.

“I am not mad at youuuuu…” Sooyoung whined. “I just don’t want chicken being dipped in lemon sauceeeee..” She continued whining. “What is the big deal about that?”

Mrs Jung crossed her hands and looked at the girl with a frown. She was still not convinced.

“Aishhh..” Sooyoung groaned as she stood up from her chair and walked towards the woman. She then hugged the woman from behind. “How can I be mad at you when just you wanted the best for us? And don’t get me started on all this overly priced food.” Sooyoung mumbled. “Calm down, I promise this is not about the moving in thing, this is just about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter