A Few Days Later

More Like Me: Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Aaaah..” Sooyoung yawned. “Sooyoung, don’t sleep.” Seohyun straightaway whispered to her. Both of them had to attend the opening ceremony of the Cancer Awareness Campaign at the ground floor’s hall. Every October, CBS would organize a Cancer Awareness Campaign in order to celebrate the cause. Since their VP was the President of Korea’s Cancer Foundation, that year’s celebration was even bigger than before.

 “How long do I have to be hereee…” Sooyoung whined softly to her boss. “I have a lot of things to doooo..” She kept on whining. “Do you think you’re the only  one with stuff to do?” Suddenly someone who was sitting in front of her turned to look at her. It was none other than the annoying Manager Sunny.

“I’m sure you heard that I got promoted to a department manager.. So don’t even try to imagine how much things I have to do.” She added sarcastically before she turned back in front.  Sooyoung knew about it. She had tried to convince Jessica not to give the promotion to the woman but Jessica refused to do so. “She deserves it because she’s an excellent employee. Will it be fair that I deny her the promotion because my girlfriend hates her?” Jessica questioned back.  “But she’s an kisser!” Sooyoung tried to reason out. “I know Sooyoung. But she has proven herself. She’s getting it, end of story.” Jessica ended the discussion.

“How annoying..” Sooyoung whispered to Seohyun. “I know right.” Seohyun just had to agree. Sooyoung then looked at her watch and the time was already 3.30pm. Only god knows how sleepy she was at the time.

***

The past few days were pretty rough for her. Ever since the unfortunate incident that happened to her with Mrs Jung earlier that week, she had been in a mess. She had been sleeping at her mother’s place for 3 nights already. She felt like she had lost the best fair and square so she had to stay true to her words. The bet was if she lost, she had to leave Jessica. And that was what she did.

 “Why are you doing this to me??” Jessica exclaimed loudly. She was upset and disappointed over Sooyoung’s decision to leave their apartment.

“I’m sorry. But I had to.” Sooyoung said in a sad tone.

“I have told you so many times! She said that she would try to be supportive of us!!” Jessica exclaimed. She had repeated that exact same explanation for so many times but Sooyoung just didn’t buy it.

“Trust me Jessica, your evil mother is testing me.” Sooyoung responded. “I just don’t want anything else to happen to you, if she knows that I break the deal..” She added.

“Why are you making this so complicated!!” Jessica exclaimed loudly. She was so angry towards the girl. “Family is the most important thing in the world, I can’t forgive myself if you lost your family because of me.” Sooyoung mumbled sadly.

“I’m not going to lose my family!” Jessica replied back.

“Maybe this is for the best..” Sooyoung added in her sad tone. “You know what, I feel like punching your face right now..” Jessica said seriously. “I’m sorry.” Sooyoung muttered.

“If you want to leave so bad, then just leave!” Jessica exclaimed. That was the last thing Jessica had said to her.

****

“I would like to call upon our beloved vice president and the President of the Cancer Resource Foundation, Ms Jessica Jung..” The host of the event announced out loud through the microphone. Everyone clapped their hands enthusiastically. That was the first time Sooyoung had seen the woman in the last 3 days. They didn’t even call or exchange any texts to each other. She knew Jessica must still be so angry towards her at the time.

Jessica was wearing a white low cut blouse with a black jacket on top of it. She looked beautiful as always Sooyoung thought to herself. Only god knows how bad she wanted to hug and kiss the woman.

“Thank you so much. First thing, I would like to welcome everyone to this year’s CBS Cancer Awareness Campaign or the Pink Campaign I would call it.  The main aim of the Cancer Awareness Month is to better educate the public about this disease. The battle against cancer cannot solely be the responsibility of the government, nor should it be confined to health care professionals. Because the campaign against cancer needs to be brought right down to the ground level, we need to harness the active support of lay persons and voluntary organizations, and leverage on their community links and network…”  Jessica went on to speak for almost 20 minutes.

Of course Sooyoung couldn’t focus a thing the woman was saying in front, she was just lost in her own world while looking at her.

“My excellent organizers have planned a series of exhibitions, forums, and seminars throughout this one week. I am hoping to see more involvement and participation from all the staff so that we can spread the specific health education message for the prevention and early detection of cancer to all women in this country. It is now with great pleasure that I declare this week’s Pink Campaign open.” Jessica smiled before she went down the stage.

Again, everyone clapped their hands eagerly after the VP’s speech. “Boss I need to go to the toilet.” Sooyoung told her manager.

“Okay, just come back quick because the Chairman’s wife would be arriving soon.” Seohyun informed. “Urghhh..” Sooyoung groaned as a response before she got up from the chair and walked towards the café. She didn’t really have to go to the toilet, she actually needed some space. She felt like it was too stressful for her to be in that hall seeing Jessica all smiling and happy. And after knowing that Mrs Jung would be coming made it even worst for her.

 She walked to the free coffee section, took a plastic cup and poured the most tasteless coffee ever inside the cup. She carried the coffee and went to sit on the couch overlooking outside. It was actually raining heavily outside. She then let out a long deep sigh before she sipped her coffee. She was lost in her own thoughts when suddenly someone greeted her.

“Choi Sooyoung, are you trying to skip the event?”

“Urgh.. What do you want?” Sooyoung looked at the person lazily. Again, it was none other than the newly promoted annoying Manager Sunny. “What could I possibly want from you?” The woman smiled sarcastically.

“I don’t know. You tell me.” Sooyoung replied back with a straight face. Sooyoung always

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter