Blessing In Disguise

More Like Me: Bits and Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung, Jessica and her parents went for a family lunch at an authentic premium sushi place at The Westin Hotel in the heart of Seoul. Sooyoung had been craving sushi for the past one month and the initial plan was, both of them would be going out on a lunch date. But plan changed since her parents insisted to tag along. Of course, both of them were frustrated since they couldn’t even remember when was the last time they had a date. (due to all Sooyoung’s hand injuries)

“We have something important to discuss with you and Sooyoung” Mr Jung informed earlier to Jessica at the office. So, there they were in the sushi place with Jessica’s parents. Krystal was supposed to tag along, but she had a last-minute plan with her friends.    

“Have you tried this place before Sooyoung?” Mr Jung asked the girl.

“Nope. I don’t think people come to a hotel to eat sushi uncle.” Sooyoung mumbled. “I think I have to save 6 months to be able to afford eating here.” She added while flipping through the menu. “Oh, dear lord, salmon mentai for 96,800 won!” Sooyoung then whispered to Jessica who was sitting next to her.

“It’s okay baby. Just order anything you want.” Jessica whispered back before she poured a glass of hot green tea for the both of them.

“What did the doctor say earlier?” Mrs Jung asked as she held on Sooyoung’s hand to look at the thumb that was no longer wrapped.

“The nail bed has completely healed. All we have to do now, is to wait for a new nail to grow.” Jessica smiled.

“And how long will that be?” Mrs Jung asked again.

“It may take a while considering how bad the nailbed got injured.” Jessica explained. “But I’m just happy that it is now healed. Even if the new nail doesn’t grow, I couldn’t care less.” Jessica said. Sooyoung just turned to look at her girlfriend with a smile after hearing those remarks. Jessica was just the best.

“And how’s the palm? Do you still feel any pain?” Mrs Jung then held on the ‘nail pierced palm’ bandaged hand.

“Hmm sometimes.” Sooyoung answered.

“Why is it still hurting?? It has been a week!” Mrs Jung exclaimed.

“Honey, I’m sure it’s nothing.” Mr Jung said softly.

“We have another appointment on Tuesday. So, don’t worry mum.” Jessica assured the woman.

“Don’t you think it’s weird?? How can it still be hurting when it is already been a week??” Mrs Jung was still restless.

“Honey. Just imagine that a nail pierce through your palm.” Mr Jung tried to put some perspective. “Of course, it takes time.” He added.

“I don’t feel it all the time tho. It’s just when I use the hand, then it will hurt.” Sooyoung explained.

“But the question is, why are you using that hand at the first place? You know you shouldn’t be using that hand!” Mrs Jung asked with a frown. She was really concerned.

“I will only use this hand whenever I need to play co-op on Rainbow Siege with your husband.” Sooyoung said innocently. Mrs Jung instantly frowned.

“Mum, before you get all confused, Rainbow Siege is a game. It’s a cooperative game they call it. Please don’t ask me what cooperative game is. Daddy bought a copy for Sooyoung a few days ago. So, they will be playing it together every Wednesday and Sunday at 9pm.” Jessica took the liberty to explain.

“Why would you ask her to play a Rainbow game when you knew her hand is still not healing??” Mrs Jung questioned her husband.

“It was a gift for her. Just to let her know how strong she has been for going through 2 hand injuries. By the way, please don’t call it a Rainbow game. It’s Rainbow Siege.” Mr Jung explained with a frown.

“What nonsense is this??” Mrs Jung was still not getting it.

“Aish at least I gave her something.” Mr Jung frowned.

“I didn’t know that we need to get her a gift.” Mrs Jung whispered to her husband. “Of course, we do!” Mr Jung whispered back. “Why didn’t you tell me?? I should have gotten her a gift as well.” Mrs Jung exclaimed to her husband.

“Seriously, I love you guys. I don’t think I can ever live without the both of you.” Sooyoung smiled as she looked at the bickering couple. Jessica just laughed over the remarks. She just loved that everything involving Sooyoung and her parents had improved tremendously. Sooyoung was literally part of the family now. It was indeed a perfect definition of happiness for her.

“Look, you don’t have to give me anything.” Sooyoung smiled as she held Mrs Jung’s hand. “I’m already grateful enough that both of you are having lunch with me here in this awfully expensive sushi place that I can never afford.” She mumbled. Mrs Jung just had a smile after hearing the girl’s remarks. “But seriously, you guys have to pay for this.” Sooyoung said innocently.

So, for 40minutes, they practically had a good lively lunch as a ‘family’. Until both Mr and Mrs Jung revealed what they had been meaning to talk to the couple.

“We want both of you to move in with us.” Mrs Jung revealed excitedly.

“You are joking right?” Sooyoung asked back before she stuffed herself with an expensive piece of Salmon.

“Do I look like I’m joking?” Mrs Jung asked back with a frowned.

“Okay you are being serious.” Jessica said as she looked at her mother.

“Hmm but what makes you think that we want to move in with you?” Sooyoung asked back. She was so confused.

“Sooyoung, even our bathroom is bigger than your entire apartment!” Mrs Jung exclaimed. “You can’t expect the heir to the biggest bank in South Korea to be living in that tiny box permanently? I’m sure Jessica felt the same way.” She added. Sooyoung went silent and she immediately turned to look at her girlfriend.

“You felt that way too?” Sooyoung asked.

“Baby, please don’t ever think that I hate living there. That is our apartment. And I love our apartment. I couldn’t even ask for a better place to live with you.” Jessica explained nervously. She didn’t want Sooyoung to get the wrong idea. 

“Then tell them that we won’t be moving innnnn..” Sooyoung whined.

“Mum, I don’t think it would be a great idea for us to move in. We are very much comfortable living on our own and of course we need the privacy and all..” Jessica carefully explained.

“What privacy? It’s not that all of us are going to sleep in the same room. Our room is downstairs and yours are upstairs.” Mrs Jung frowned. She really didn’t understand what was so difficult for them to accept the idea.  

“Dad, please don’t tell me you agree with mum.” Jessica turned to her father for support.

“Hmmm I’m not saying that I agree but I wouldn’t lie, it would be great tho to have both of you around every day.” Mr Jung smiled awkwardly. “and it would be easier to play co-op if we are playing in the same room.” He added

“Dadddddddd…” Jessica whined.

“Jessica honey, when was the last time you lived under the same roof as us? Don’t you miss us?” Mr Jung asked softly. The question really hit her. She just realized that she herself couldn’t even remember when was the last time. She left home for boarding school when she was 12. So, she had been living on her own for almost 17years.

“Babe…” Sooyoung whined as she could sense that Jessica was about to agree with the ‘move-in’ idea. “Aish, we are not even married yet for us to move in with you!” Sooyoung exclaimed.

“So, you will move in if you are married to Jessica?” Mrs Jung asked.

“You are going to ask us to marry now aren’t ya?” Sooyoung asked the woman.

 “Are you saying that you don’t want to get married to my daughter?” Mrs Jung frowned.

“Why are you being like thissssssssss..” Sooyoung whined.

“Mummmm of course, we want to get marriedddd! But not nowwwww…” Jessica joined in the whine-train.

“Then what’s the difference?? I don’t see any problem on why you shouldn’t move in. Because you will get married sooner or later.” Mrs Jung reasoned out.

“God!! Why do you want us to move in that bad??????” Sooyoung exclaimed loudly. She had started to lose her patience. Jessica straightaway placed her hand on the girl’s lap asking the girl to calm down. She didn’t want Sooyoung to start being rude to her parents. Plus, everyone in the restaurant had started glancing towards them.

“Mum.. Dad.. Please be a bit reasonable. You can’t just ask us to move in like this.” Jessica said calmly.

“I’ll give you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter