A less quiet day

Sowon's Children

Sowon set up the table as Yerin and Umji stumbled into the kitchen holding hands and yawning at the same time.

“Did you sleep well cuties?”

Sowon kissed both of their heads, Yerin purring for a second before cutting off with wide eyes, the action had jumpstarted her brain. Slowly her hand went up to touch where Sowon kissed her, her eyes still not focused but her expression slowly turning to a smile. Watching with a smile, Sowon nudged Umji once more to wake her up fully.

“Sowon unnie aren’t you hungry?”

Umji yawned mid-sentence but still hadn’t registered that food was already on the table.

“Come on sleepyhead, go get the others while I finish putting out all the bowls.”

The side dish was a steamed fish she got from the market at the end of the street. Umji stumbled away on her bridges and Sowon could hear her high-pitched voice calling to the sleeping nukos.

“Wake up, it’s dinner time.”

Once all the nukos were gathered, they said their thanks and started eating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So, what did you guys do today?”

Umji bounced up, now fully awake and fed she was full of energy again, her tail swishing happily behind her.

“I took them on a tour and gave them their toothbrushes. Then, when we got to the bedroom, they tried out the basket and fell asleep.”

Eunha and Yuju giggled to themselves.

“After leaving them in the bedroom, me and Yerin unnie came outside to chat. A bit after talking, Yerin unnie was falling asleep so I sat there in the cat tower and fell asleep too.”

Umji twiddled her fingers sheepishly, they had a really boring day after Sowon left, it was just sleep.

Sowon laughed.

“Growing nukos always need sleep! It’s alright. Should we get our heights checked today then?”

Yerin stared, today was the day she’d get to know how tall she was! Umji nodded with full of fish and Yuju and Eunha giggled to each other again.

“Okay, finish your food and then wait in the office at the ruler okay?”

“Ne!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon finished putting all the things into the sink and soaked them with water before entering the office where the nukos were waiting patiently.

“First, Yewonnie.”

Umji stood as tall as she could against the ruler that Sowon had nailed to the side of the drawers that sat on her desk.

“Wow! 9.5 inches tall.” (This is not counting ears.)

“Aw, man!”

She stomped out of the way as Eunha ran over.

“Eunha, 9.3 inches.”

Eunha pouted and stepped away, was she the shortest here too? It looks like it.

“Come here Yerin ah.”

Yerin stepped over to the ruler unsure of what height was good or bad but still excited to learn.

“Hm, 9.7 inches.”

Yuju walked up to the ruler with a confident manner, ready to prove her superior height.

“10 inches. Congratulations Yuju ya, you’re the tallest nuko in this apartment.”

Yuju grinned to herself as Eunha pouted. They were the same age, why did she have to be smaller?

Sowon laughed, her nukos were funny to watch when they tried to compare to each other.

“Come on, stop pouting Umji, Eunha. Height isn’t everything, you’re still cuties to me!”

Sowon rubbed their heads lightly and Yerin watched in slight jealousy, noticing Sowon grinned, this was her chance to get Yerin to open up to her.

“Yerinnie, do you want to get rubbed too?”

Yerin opened her m outh and closed it several times before nodding timidly. Smiling softly, Sowon carefully reached down and rubbed at the base of Yerin’s ears, eliciting a soft purr from the shy nuko.

It stuttered for a second when Yerin froze but then she closed her eyes and leaned into the touch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They quickly lined up at the toothpaste dispenser as Sowon brushed her teeth up above them, getting ready for bed. After she brushed, she’d shower and then go to sleep, a typical weekday over.

She giggled when Eunha coughed out the toothpaste that had slid too far back.

“Be careful.”

She rubbed the poor nuko’s back lightly as Eunha finally coughed out whatever bothered her into the sink. Pulling the curtain across she left for her shower.

The nukos finished brushing their teeth and headed for the bedroom, unfortunately though, their long afternoon nap had caused them to be unable to rest anymore. Chasing each other on the bed, Yuju giggled as Umji tried her best to chase after, flopping on the soft bed when she gave in to gravity.

Sowon entered the room, her hair freshly dried from the bathroom as her nukos hated the sound of the hairdryer finding them giggling and sweating from exertion instead of hiding their ears from her hairdryer. It turns out, they were so distracted by tag that they didn’t notice the sound over their laughter. Although Yerin was the only one covering her ears in the corner of the bed, away from the others.

Sitting down next to her, Sowon carefully pulled Yerin into her hug. (Which if you wondered how do you hug a less than 10 in tall nuko is just merely holding her to your shoulder like a baby. Their arms are too short to reach around.)

“Are you okay?”

“Mm. What was that noise earlier unnie?”

“It was my hairdryer. I’ve been saving money to buy a quieter model, I’ve almost got enough.”

“Unnie? Can I tell you something?”

“Of course.”

Yerin tilted her head upwards to whisper in Sowon’s ear.

“I like you.”

Sowon grinned widely, turning quickly, she placed a quick kiss on the top of Yerin’s head, right between her ears. Snuggling their cheeks together, Sowon giggled.

“And I love you!”

She tickled Yerin until Yerin was exploding in laughter and caught the attention of the three other nukos.

“Okay kids, enough fun. I need to sleep whether you need it or not. Tomorrow I only have morning classes so we can play together after I do my homework when I get back.”

Umji ran up to Sowon quickly pecking her cheek.

“Hurry and go to sleep then! I can’t wait for tomorrow to come!”

Sowon laughed, did Umji think that if she slept day would come? She had no such powers.

“Then, good night everyone!”

Umji curled up next to Sowon’s head, Yerin nearby. Eunha and Yuju liked the basket so it was their official sleeping location, saying something about the breeze that caused the swaying motion to be the most enjoyable sleeping sensation.