Phone

Sowon's Children

Sowon watched sadly as her sister drove to her home with Eunha and Yuju in the back seat.

Eunha didn’t let her say goodbye, only letting the nukos who tried their best to tell her to say goodbye to Sowon, but she refused.

“See you soon Eunha, Yuju.”

Taken away by the wind, Sowon’s words sadly faded away.

She sat down at the couch, pulling her legs to her chest, she hugged herself. She hadn’t expected this emptiness when she promised to care for her sister’s nukos.

Umji held Sowon’s shirt tightly, holding back her tears. You could see the tears barely hanging on behind her eyelids. Scooping Umji into her embrace, she let the nuko cry.

Once Umji started her wailing, Yerin started crying as well. SinB stared but internally, she was in pain. Why was she not crying? Was there something wrong with her? Yes, Yuju and Eunha’s departure hurt, but did it really warrant crying? As she internally debated why she was lacking such emotions, her outside front had stared blankly into the void.

Sowon tucked Yerin into her one-armed hug as she petted SinB’s hair with her other arm.

“We’ll see them soon.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Days had passed before the verdict of the case had been finalized. Due to several new pieces of evidence coming to the surface, the sue was considered invalid and the original accusers were arrested and charged with nuko trafficking. Which was just a large fine since the times had not come to create laws for nukos.

(I know there aren’t that many laws protecting pets and animals, but you do get fined for pet abuse, here in California it can go up to a year in prison. I know in other places it can go up to ten years.)

Sowon sighed as she heard that they were released but she could do nothing. At the least, the police had arranged a restraining order for SinB, so they never went after her specifically again.

“It’s okay, once I graduate, we’ll move somewhere they won’t be able to find.”

Her choice apartment that she planned for such a long time was on the outskirts of Seoul and was pretty quiet most of the time. The convenience of it’s location was that it was a major station to several different lines to vacation places, so many trains came by, making it easy for Sowon to reach her workplace when she gets a job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sowon giggled as a tail tickled her cheek, it was Saturday morning and her cast had come off the day before. Starting Monday, she’d have to find part time jobs again and go to school like a regular student.

Patting Umji’s , she scooted off the bed with a smile on her face. What better way to wake up than having your nuko wake you by slapping you with their tail?

Cleaning up, she stretched her back some, popping some bones in the action.

“Hm, should I clean the vents today?”

As she hummed on her way she noticed that the medicine for nukos in the bathroom had expired. She grinned at the fact that since she had gotten the medicine, her nukos hadn’t gotten sick often enough to finish the little bottle.

“I need to get a refill.”

Planning on making a run to the nuko store later in the day, she made her way to the kitchen, wanting to make scrambled eggs for breakfast, grinning as she noticed the tupperwares holding her mother’s kimchi and other side dishes.

Humming as she cooked the eggs, she heard a small yawn. Glancing upwards she found Yerin trudging across the bridge. Raising her eyebrows, Sowon laughed as Yerin stumbled on the bridge as she toddled about in her half-awake stupor.

“Hey Yennie, how are you up so early? Even earlier than Yewonnie.”

Plucking the little blonde from the bridge, she nuzzled Yerin to her cheek before setting her to sit on the counter.

“Hm? Cuz I heard you leaving.”

Yawning once more, Yerin rubbed at her eyes before slouching in her seat, tail flicking lazily against the counter.

“Later, I have to go out and get some things from the nuko store. Do you want to come?”

Yerin thought about it for a moment.

“Hm. Outside. Fresh air.”

She paled a bit as she said the last one.

“Humans.”

Sowon frowned and smooched Yerin on the head.

“You don’t have to come. I can go alone.”

“I-I’ll go! I must protect you like SinB protected us! No one shall come near you!”

Sowon laughed at Yerin’s declaration, it was adorable how Yerin wanted to protect her.

“Thanks, love. But, I think I’ll go out by myself for today.”

She knew that Yerin wasn’t ready to face other humans yet. Seeing as SinB and Umji were sleeping in, (which is rare) she got dressed to go out on her own. As she passed the bed, she found Umji curled next to SinB who was holding Umji’s tail in both her hands, holding it against her cheeks as if rubbing against the soft fur there.

Tucking them properly under the blanket again, Sowon made a mental note that she still hadn’t gotten Yerin a plushie and that maybe SinB needed one too for the sake of Umji’s tail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Welcome!”

Sowon nodded to the store owner, swiftly walking over to the medicines wall in the small store.

Grabbing a bottle of multipurpose medicine, her phone rang.

“Hello?”

Sowon frowned, the other end was silent, but a weird feeling tugged at her gut.

“Who is this?”

The line cut and Sowon frowned at the phone.

Quickly paying for the medicine, she left the store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Why didn’t you say anything Eunbi?”

“Why didn’t you say anything then Yuna?”

They two nukos held hands sitting against the glass wall that separated them from their freedom.

=======================

Drama because I need practice, if I only stick to fluff I'll never grow as a writer! That's what I'm telling myself, forgive this failure for trying drama it isn't my strong point cries. If only I was...

a late update because today was very stressful :)