Fitting in

Sowon's Children

A pic I pulled from google to show the actual size comparison~

===========

Yerin watched as Sowon bustled about pulling things from drawers and making things.

“Uh…”

Yerin started to call out trying to ask what she was doing but was still very scared of human interactions. Umji hopped down from her perch at the top of her cat tower and sat down next to Yerin.

“What’s up?”

Yerin looked at Umji and then back at Sowon who was now sat at the desk sewing something together.

“What’s she doing?”

“You can ask her that.”

“But-“

“She’ll definitely turn to you instead of her work. The only time you can’t bother her is when she’s doing homework.”

Yerin gulped, was she really allowed to bother her?

She stepped forwards at Umji’s nudging.

“Um, Sowon unnie?”

“Hm?”

Sowon looked away from her work and looked down. She smiled and reached down intending to pick Yerin up but Yerin flinched away instinctively.

“It’s okay, come here.”

Yerin watched as Sowon’s hands remained where they were, waiting for her to move closer.

“Er.”

“Hm?”

Yerin shook her head and moved closer, grabbing Sowon’s thumb as she lifted her up.

“What is it Yerin ah?”

“I just wanted to know what you were doing.”

Sowon smiled, she set Yerin on the table and reached upwards to pull Umji from her rope ladder, putting her down next to Yerin.

“You want to see to Umji yah?”

“Mm. Whatchu making?”

“I’m making another blanket for Yerinnie. The blanket I made for you can only cover you, you can’t really share it with Yerin can you?”

“But I have a second blanket in the basket?”

Sowon smiled, she loved that Umji was willing to share her things but Sowon wanted to give Yerin something, even if it wasn’t store bought, she wanted to give Yerin something to comfort her.

“It’s okay, I know how much you like that blanket. Besides it’s a gift.”

“Okay.”

Yerin was still quiet watching as Sowon stitched the edges of the piece of fleece that she cut from the other corner of her blanket.

“We’re not exactly poor, you don’t have to worry about that but we are a bit pressed on money. Even though I can’t always buy you guys new toys or new clothes, I hope you still love to be here. Okay?”

She handed the little stitched blanket to Yerin who held the little blanket gingerly. Sowon had embroidered her name on it. She hugged it silently looking up at Sowon, unsure how to respond.

Umji nudged her shoulder, snapping her out of her reverie.

“Hey, say thank you.”

“A- ah! Thank you so much!”

Sowon giggled, she didn’t really mind what manners were used in this house, you could go without saying sorry or thank you as long as you had delivered the feeling somehow. It was usually just Umji who would be super polite, which Sowon had no idea where it had started because she hadn’t specifically taught her those manners. Perhaps she learned them from Sowon’s mom when Sowon was at school in middle school.

“No problem Yerin ah. I know that Umji likes to sleep in her basket, you’re also small enough to fit in there with her if you wanted to. If you want to I could get you your own basket to sleep in.”

Yerin nodded. For now, she’d sleep on the pillows next to Sowon. If she didn’t like it she could try out Umji’s basket and then if she liked that Sowon would get her very own basket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Umji pulled Yerin along to the ramp to the bedroom, she wanted to make sure that Yerin knew how to get around the place.

Ushering the taller nuko to the bridge connecting the living room to the hall to the bathroom and bedroom, Umji hummed as she pushed Yerin into the bedroom.

“So, rules! Try not to run along the floor more than you run up here on this set of bridges and shelves.”

“Why? Why can’t we run along the floor? It’s quicker.”

“We can’t because Sowon unnie is scared of us getting sick from heavy dust. Sowon unnie has a dust allergy so she’s even more scared of dust.”

Yerin nodded as she climbed down the rope ladder slowly after Umji shuffled along. Jumping from the desk to the bed, Umji gestured over to the neatly organized bed.

“So, this is where Sowon unnie sleeps.”

Umji walked the entire length of the left side of the bed. Then pointing to the right side, she flopped on her stomach.

“This is our space, technically. But Sowon unnie fears crushing us so she has me sleep on the pillow. It’s fluffier there anyways.”

Umji curled on the right pillow, demonstrating her spot. Her small frame only taking a bit of the pillow space, Yerin walked over and crawled onto the pillow. Struggling in the softness, she curled in her spot and yawned.

“Hehe, isn’t it nice?”

“Mm.”

“You can take a nap if you want to.”

“Really?”

“Mm.”

Yerin fought down her yawn and noticed Umji drifting off. Was she really allowed to get to sleep just like that? She couldn’t bring herself to sleep, fighting off her yawns and drooping eyelids.

Just then, Sowon walked into the room looking for something when she noticed Yerin watching her with wide eyes.

“Oh? Why aren’t you sleeping? Umji’s napping.”

“I’m sorry! I’ll sleep now!”

Sowon chuckled.

“You don’t have to sleep if you don’t want to, I’m just saying you could.”

Yerin watched Sowon warily as the girl found what she was looking for, a pen.

“Right.”

“Rest well.”

She came over to the bed and kissed Umji’s sleeping cheek, she did lean down to Yerin but she held back. She shouldn’t startle the nuko who was still scared of people. Instead, Sowon reached down and stopped when Yerin flinched, closing her eyes. Slowly Sowon’s fingers descended on her head and began to rub slowly at the base of her kitty ears. Relaxing a bit, Yerin let out a yawn large enough to show off her little canines.

“Rest well Yerin ah. You’re safe here.”