The first one

Sowon's Children

Sowon sighed, she had just finished her homework for college when she realized she was late for her job interview.

Recently, she’s been pressed for money because of college fees and the problems when you’re living away from home. She wasn’t in a dorm per say because of pet restrictions but the whole complex was for students that attended her school.

“Unnie will you be okay?”

Sowon turned to her left, down there on the floor holding her pant leg lightly was her ‘pet’, more like little sister or daughter.

“Yewon ah, I’ll be right back okay? One interview and I’ll be back, be good okay?”

“Okay, good luck!”

“Thank you.”

Leaning down, she picked up Umji and placed a kiss on the top of her little head before placing her on the jungle gym of shelves and ladders for Umji to get around the house easier on.

Opening the door, she left her apartment for her interview.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yewon, aka Umji, was given to Sowon by her parents when Sowon turn thirteen, as a present for becoming a teenager.

She would have to be more responsible and mature than she was before. At the time, Umji was really small for a nuko, she started off as big as Sowon’s dad’s thumb.

Although now she stood at 9 inches, barely Sowon’s hand span, she was still amongst the smaller nukos in the world.

Once Sowon had started receiving allowance at thirteen as well, she started saving it to buy things for Yewon. The first in her priority list was always Yewon when shopping. When she was little, Sowon got Yewon snacks like chocolate mushrooms (no chocolate doesn’t kill them) and little gummies. Now that Sowon was older, she bought things like cat ladders and ramps and set them all around her apartment so she wouldn’t accidentally step on Umji on accident since her range of view was way up now that she grew way taller since she was thirteen.

From the doorway, there was a little ramp that led to a little cat cubby that had a rope ladder from one of the openings up to a little ledge that turned into a wooden shelf which would be the general station that connected all the climbing and paths to different parts of the apartment.

To get to the kitchen, which on human feet is just straight from the doorway and on the left, Umji would climb up to the shelf (which is on the right wall of the door) and take a little bridge over to the shelf on the left side of the hall and follow along the little shelves down until she reached the counter.

Sowon had added a dispenser of cereal in case Umji got hungry before she got back to make food. (Yes, they can eat regular food, just think of them as tiny humans but with cat ears and a tail.) Umji would press on the lever and it would drop lucky charms into a small bowl at the bottom.

Of course, if Umji wanted to she could run along the floor if she felt like it but Sowon was always worried about the dust being heavier near the floor so she did suggest Umji to walk along the floor less than being in the free-flowing air. Sowon worried about the dust not only because she had dust allergies but because she had heard of stories where nukos got sick from breathing too much dust at the ground level, which is why she had an air purifier that sat in the corner of her living room that she’d turn on every once in a while.

The sound scared Umji so she’d only turn it on when she was present and Umji was in her arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Umji hummed as she ate her snack of a few grapes, Sowon made sure to leave a few in a bowl on the counter for Umji’s snack time and reminded Umji to make sure to clean the climbing set if it got too dusty or spider webs were starting.

Umji hated spiders, they crawled weirdly and had way too many legs but she had a weapon, she used a little bottle, which was originally for mouth spray but Sowon replaced it with soap to kill bugs with, and sprayed the deadly bugs and wiped her play set with a small towel Sowon had sewn for her in eighth grade.

Umji popped the last grape into pushing it to one side to chew, her cheek pushed out a little and hopped off the counter to the ground. She climbed up another ramp to another cat tower that Sowon had installed and made her way to the bedroom.

Sometimes, if Sowon was sure that her sleep was going to be motionless due to fatigue, she’d sleep in Sowon’s arms, most of the times though, Umji sleep next to Sowon curled up on her pillow.

In case Umji was cold though, Sowon had sewn her a blanket and made her a little basket that hung from the ceiling with a rope ladder for Umji to climb into. The basket was lined with a soft material and had a little pillow and a little blanket that was made from cutting a corner of Sowon’s fleece blanket.

Getting into the basket, Umji finished chewing her grape and curled up in the basket, Sowon would yell at her to at least rinse before napping but meh, Umji can be rebellious sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Umji yah! I’m back!”

Sowon pushed open her door expecting Umji to be playing in the living room or watching tv but she was nowhere to be seen.

“Yewon?”

She wandered the house, smiling as she passed the empty bowl she had left out for grapes.

Passing the bathroom, she entered the bedroom smiling as Umji’s sleeping form came into view.

============

How is it? Cute yet? Hehehe