five

Alive

“…she’s not a living.”

 

Yeri’s voice rang inside her head. Seulgi believed that it got into Jisoo’s head too because she noticed that her friend was trying to listen to any signs of heartbeat on Wendy, and turned out she could not hear anything.

 

No heartbeat…

 

No breath…

 

No soul

 

“Is she what we called vampire?” Seulgi asked Jisoo when they were walking on the hallway to the track-field.

 

“More less…” Jisoo simply answered. “It’s just…we’ve never seen her kind for a very long time.”

 

Seulgi remembered that most books said that vampires and werewolves are mortal enemy. That might be the reason why Jisoo looked terrified.

 

“Anyway, good luck on the try-out today, Seulgi. I’ll just be on the corner, cheers practice.” Jisoo gave Seulgi a soft smile. Seulgi glanced at the cheerleaders. Obviously, she found Irene there.

 

“Don’t worry, I won’t seek for trouble with Irene.” Jisoo chuckled as if she knew what Seulgi had in mind.

 

Seulgi just smiled as she bid Jisoo goodbye.

 

She then saw Wendy in her casual t-shirt; stretching.

 

“Hi, Seulgi.” Wendy greeted her.

 

Damn it

 

Seulgi cussed in her mind as she was trying so hard not to be seen by Wendy.

 

“H-Hi, Wendy.”

 

“Nervous?” The foreigner asked; walked closer to Seulgi.

 

Seulgi was nervous, but not because of the try-out. But, because of Wendy’s presence. She kept looking at the girl whenever she laughed or smiled. She was wondering how did Wendy hide her fangs—if she really had it.

 

“You don’t talk much, don’t you?” Wendy spoke.

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“I heard that you were in a coma for six months.” Wendy showed her concern by touching Seulgi’s shoulder. “Must’ve been hard for you.”

 

Cold.

 

Her touch is so cold.

 

Literally.

 

Seulgi thought. Her breath was stuck on . She felt like it suffocated her in many ways.

 

“I-It’s alright.” Seulgi faked a chuckle. “I feel way better now.”

 

Which is true. Ever since Seulgi turned into a werewolf, she felt so much better; as if she was a different person.

 

“Obviously.” Wendy laughed, her eyebrows then wiggled teasingly at Seulgi, “if you have a girlfriend like Jisoo, obviously you’ll feel a lot better everyday.”

 

“W-What?” Seulgi rubbed her nape. “Oh no, no. Jisoo is just a friend, we actually just had become friend recently because we sit next to each other in class.”

 

Wendy hummed with a teasing smile still plastered on her face.

 

“Go, Kang Seulgi!”

 

They were startled by someone’s voice. Seulgi looked over and found Irene in her tight cheerleader uniform waving at her; a smile was visible on her face.

 

“Wow,” Wendy said. “You’re really popular, aren’t you?”

 

Seulgi just shook her head, ignoring Irene who kept shouting her name shamelessly.

 

The try-out started, they were introduced to the coaches before they did a few stretching. Seulgi made a note in her mind that being a werewolf did not mean she’d magically become flexible that got Wendy helping her to touch the tip of her toes with her hands. While she looked at Wendy who seemed quite flexible.

Some people had done their try-out and some were doing it. She looked over the basketball court and found Joy and Yeri who were also watching her from afar.

 

“Kang Seulgi.”

 

The coach called her. She rushed herself on track, and when she saw who’d be her opponent she sighed.

 

Of course Wendy will be my opponent.

 

“Ready…”

 

Seulgi blew up some air from as her eyes was focused on the track.

 

“Set…Go!”

 

She ran as fast as she could. She glanced at Wendy who remained calm and fast. Wendy started to be a little bit ahead from Seulgi, but the taller girl was competitive. She pushed herself as she was running next to Wendy.

 

“Wow, you’re fast, Kang.”

 

There was something in Wendy’s tone Seulgi couldn’t explain. But, she just ignored it and kept running until they both reached the finish line at the same time.

 

“Nice work, girls.” The coach said.

 

Seulgi plopped herself on the bench nearby, she drank all of her water in one go. Not because she was tired, but for some reasons, she felt something was burning inside her. And the last time she checked, that was not a good sign.

 

“Here,”

 

Seulgi saw a water bottle in front of her, and it was from Wendy.

 

“I think you need more.” Wendy smiled and Seulgi took her water and chugged it down right away.

 

“Thanks.” Seulgi said.

 

Nah, don’t mention it.”

 

Wendy sat beside her. They could see the other students who joined the trials were also sitting on the same bench as the coaches gathered them together for the announcement.

 

“We have decided…”

 

Seulgi covered her eyes with a towel and leaned back, resting her back. She heard a few names she knew, including Wendy’s.

 

“…Kang Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi jolted up, the towel slid down her face, her expression delighted as she heard her name from the coach. She was officially a team member. She did not expect herself to be this happy as she was not sure if she could join or not if it wasn’t because of her friends. But, she felt happy.

 

“Congratulation, Seulgi!” Wendy said to her. “We made it.”

 

Wendy offered Seulgi a fist bump as the latter gladly accepted it.

 

“Congratulation to you too, Wendy.”

 

Wendy nodded and she said that she needed to rush home because her parents needed her for dinner and maybe some vampire stuffs. Seulgi thought.

 

She ran to where her friends were at and said,

 

“I made it to the team!”

 

The three of them hugged Seulgi tightly that the girl had to beg them to let her go because she could not breathe.

 

Seulgi’s smile dropped to the ground when she saw Irene was approaching her.

 

“We gotta go…” Joy said before three of them ran off to nowhere.

 

Seulgi just stared at the shorter girl.

 

“Congratulation…” Irene softly said.

 

“Thanks.” Seulgi replied before she turned around, ready to leave Irene just like how she usually did.

 

But, this time, Irene caught her wrist and went in front of Seulgi.

 

“Please let me talk, Seulgi.”

 

“Aren’t you talking right now?”

 

Irene was fidgeting on her fingers, she bit down her lip before she lifted up her gaze; meeting Seulgi’s.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said.

 

Seulgi, still with blank expression replied,

 

“For?”

 

“Everything.”

 

Seulgi chuckled, and she had no idea how Irene had missed the sound of that.

 

“Do you remember when I told you that it’s not too late for everything?” Seulgi asked, still with a small smile on her face.

 

Irene nodded excitedly, but then the tiny smile on Seulgi’s lips slowly disappeared as she spoke again.

 

“I was wrong.”

 

And once again, Seulgi walked away from Irene.

 

----

 

Seulgi found herself sitting inside Boa’s office instead of going home.

 

“Something is bothering you. What is it?” The alpha said.

 

“Huh?” Seulgi looked at the lady who was working on something with her laptop. “Nothing. Just a minor problem.”

 

“Is it about Wendy?” Boa asked.

 

Yes, the girls had told her about Wendy.

 

Seulgi shook her head.

 

“Is it about…Irene?” Boa asked more carefully this time.

 

It took Seulgi a few minutes to answer.

 

“Maybe…”

 

Boa chuckled.

 

“Young love…always amuses me.”

 

Seulgi harshly sighed. “This is not love. I’m just hoping she’ll stop disturbing me.”

 

Boa hummed, and Seulgi knew that the alpha did not take her seriously but she was not in the mood to argue with anyone.

 

“Here,” Boa handled her a piece of paper. “Maybe it’ll make you feel better.”

 

Seulgi took the paper and she gave Boa a look as she read it.

 

“You know that in horror movie, everything goes bad in school camp, right?”

 

Boa rubbed her chin, “funny, because Joy said the same thing earlier.”

 

Seulgi put the paper on the table.

 

“Forget it. I’m not going for this school camp.”

 

---

 

“I can’t believe we’re going for a school camp…” Seulgi said.

 

“Damn, you sound miserable.” Joy in.

 

“Do you even hear yourself talking?” Yeri said to Joy.

“Clearly none of us want to be here. Everything went wrong in school camp, has Boa ever watched any horror movies?”

 

“That’s what I told her!” Joy and Seulgi said at the same time.

 

“Hey,”

 

They turned their faces around to see who was calling them.

 

“You guys are here, too.”

 

“Wendy…” Joy said.

 

“I did not expect you to join this kind of event.” Jisoo said.

 

“Yeah, but my parents wanted me to go since I’m new in town.” The vampire sighed. “They need to know that things like this always goes wrong in horror movie.”

 

“Right?!” said Yeri, Jisoo, and Seulgi.

 

“But, hey, we’re already here. Let’s just enjoy it, I guess.” Wendy said.

 

“I can’t believe you still can be positive at a time like this.” Yeri said, groaning.

 

They were about to go inside the bus, but they were stopped as Sehun and his friends—and Irene of course—cut their line to get on the bus.

 

“Get in line, losers.” Sehun laughed.

 

Wendy stepped forward, “watch who you’re talking to, .”

 

The werewolves were looking at each other. If that didn’t scare Sehun and his stupid friends away, they didn’t know anymore.

 

But, it did. It actually made Sehun stepped back, allowing them to get into the bus first.

 

“The was that?” Joy said in amusement.

 

Wendy just smiled at her.

 

Although Wendy was from a different kind, the werewolves were starting to grow some affection for the vampire, they were not sure if it was a good thing, but each of them hoped that it was.

 

---

 

The ride was noisy because of the jocks. Seulgi thanked God that she did not forget to bring her music player with her. But, she could still hear them although she had her volume on full. And she knew that her friends felt the same thing as well. Wendy who always got a smile on her face looked so annoyed and rolled her eyes several times.

“Can you guys shut up for a few minutes!?”

 

Seulgi could not contain herself and she blew up just like that. Everyone was looking at her, including Irene.

 

Sehun, being the leader of the dummies walked towards her. The trouble was about to start and the teacher who assisted their bus didn’t seem to care.

 

“What are you going to do, huh?” Sehun pushed Seulgi.

 

“Nothing!” Jisoo said, holding Seulgi’s hand. “She’ll do nothing! Now get back to where you belong, you jerk!”

 

Irene threw a last glance at Seulgi and Jisoo before looking at her boyfriend again.

 

“Seulgi…” Jisoo pulled the taller girl to sit beside her. “Claws.” She whispered.

 

Seulgi looked at her hands and her claws were growing.

 

“Ah, darn it.” She said. “Sorry, Jisoo.”

 

“It’s alright. You haven’t forgotten your spell, have you?” Jisoo smiled.

 

Seulgi shook her head, returning Jisoo’s smile with a tiny smile as she quietly started to chant her spell.

 

Alpha, Beta, Omega.”

 

---

 

Dinner was awful.

 

And their location was worst of the worst. Joy and Yeri kept complaining about the mosquitos that were after them, while Jisoo kept saying that she wanted to eat chicken after they saw whatever the dinner was. And then they were forced to wear some hideous shirts with their school’s name on it, while circling around the bonfire.

 

Well…

 

Three of them were fast asleep. Except for Seulgi.

 

She decided to go for a walk into the woods.

 

I’m a werewolf, what could go wrong.

 

She thought.

 

She did not realise as she walked deeper inside the wood until she heard something. Her ears twitched, her sense was telling her to look for whatever was moving so fast earlier. She kept going, she was very sure whatever that was, it was not an animal.

 

Until, she found it.

 

She hid herself behind the big tree, she saw a figure, monstrously biting on what it looked like a deer. She saw the deer was still moving until the figure killed her in one bite.

 

But,

 

Seulgi did not mean to scream.

 

She quickly covered , then she realised—if her ears were not playing trick on her the figure screamed, too.

 

She dared herself to step out her safe-zone, walked closer to the figure who seemed as terrified as her.

 

Seulgi then gasped.

 

“Wendy?”

 

“Seulgi?”

 

They said at the same time.

 

“Seriously?”

 

Seulgi said, staring at Wendy who was covered in blood.

 

“What are you doing in the wood?” Wendy asked her, seemed still a little bit shocked.

 

“I was going to ask the same thing!” Seulgi said. “Look, I know what you are-“

 

She did not expect Wendy to cut her off.

 

“I know what you are too, Seulgi. You, Joy, Yeri, and Jisoo.”

 

Seulgi did not know what to say after. gapped open.

 

“Well…This is awkward.” She could only say that.

 

“So, what are you doing here?” Seulgi threw Wendy the same question.

 

“As you can see.” Wendy simply answered.

 

Seulgi crouched down, poking the deer that was dead with her finger.

 

“What? Vampire sense in the middle of the night? Can’t eat human food?”

 

Wendy scoffed.

 

“Even human can’t eat the food if it tastes like that…”

 

Seulgi knew that Wendy was talking about the dinner they had earlier.

 

“We’re good, right?” Wendy suddenly asked Seulgi.

 

“About?”

 

“You know, your kind and mine weren’t the best of friend in the past…”

 

Wendy sat on a log beside Seulgi.

 

“I mean…It’s all in the past and I-“

 

“Wendy,”

 

Seulgi chuckled.

 

“We’re good.”

 

Wendy looked relief.

 

“Well…if you don’t mind…I need to finish my dinner. Since, I’m starving. I haven’t gotten anything because the dinner was awful. Whoever cooked it today, I hope they won’t cook for us tomorrow.” Wendy awkwardly said, followed with a laugh.

 

Seulgi was about to say something but she got interrupted by the sound of her own stomach.

 

“You can join, too, Seulgi.” Wendy quickly said.

 

Seulgi was just staring at first, she had not have raw meat before. But, her stomach was growling louder than her, so she ripped a piece of meat from the deer and ate it.

 

“It actually doesn’t taste bad when you’re hungry.” Seulgi mumbled, but loud enough for Wendy to hear that got the latter chuckled.

 

They finished their late dinner, both of them almost collapsed because they were too full.

 

“If Joy knew about this, she’d kill us both.” Seulgi jokingly said.

 

Wendy laughed as she nodded.

 

“We need to find a river or something, we got blood all over our shirt…”

 

“Yeah, my favourite shirt is ruined.” Seulgi said while staring at the shirt that the school had given to them.

 

“I hope you’re joking, Seulgi.”

 

---

As they went deeper, their eyes were starting to glow, adjusting; so they could see in the dark. Seulgi just realised that Wendy’s eyes were dark blue; dark, but bright. And she thought it was very beautiful.

 

“Finally!” Wendy jumped excitedly as they found a river. She immediately washed herself and drank some of the water, Seulgi was about to follow her until her ears twitched, again.

 

“Do you hear that?” She asked Wendy.

 

“Hear what?”

 

Seulgi did not answer as she was trying to hear clearly. When she got it, she ran off.

 

“Seulgi, wait!”

 

Wendy was following her.

 

“Hey, Seulgi. What is it?” Wendy asked her again as they stopped, but she knew from the look on Seulgi’s face the girl did not just hear some random animals. “Another werewolf?”

 

Seulgi turned to face her.

 

“Human.”

 

“What?!”

 

“Sssh.” Seulgi had her palm on Wendy’s mouth. “Listen.”

 

Seulgi was trying to listen the human’s movement. She then caught her scent and followed them.

 

---

 

Wendy and Seulgi were hiding behind a bush.

 

“Isn’t that Irene?” Wendy whispered.

 

Seulgi just stayed quite. She was wondering what Irene was doing in the middle of the wood.

 

But, out of nowhere, a big wolf was attacking the girl. Seulgi’s eyes widened, she felt her body lost its control and she jumped in between Irene and the wolf. Seulgi noticed that there were two more at the back. Seulgi growled. She glanced at Irene who was probably more terrified to her than the wolf.

 

“Run.” She managed to say to the girl.

 

She noticed Wendy was following Irene, to make sure the girl was safely back to the camp as if she could hear Seulgi’s mind.

 

When Irene was out of her sight, she turned back to face the three wolves. But the animal was ready, one of them jumped onto Seulgi, ripping Seulgi’s skin with its claws. Seulgi pushed it away as the other ones started to attack her. It did not take long until Wendy arrived and gave her a hand, her fangs did make a few damage on the wolves. But, they were still fighting. Seulgi stood there, her eyes were glowing brighter.

 

And at that very moment, Seulgi released her loudest roar.

 

The wolves stepped back slowly, eyes on the ground and finally disappeared into the forest.

 

“Well, well…” Wendy said. “Seems like they finally knew who the alpha is.” Wendy pat Seulgi’s shoulder only to be shocked by the huge wound on Seulgi’s abdomen.

 

Seulgi fell on all four. Wendy brought one of her arms around her shoulders.

 

“Let’s get you back to the camp.”

 

---

 

“It’ll heal.” Seulgi said, a smile on her face while staring at four people who had concerned look on each of their face.

 

“Yeah, but that was the dumbest thing you’ve done so far. You could’ve called us!” Jisoo said.

 

“It was my fault, guys. I should’ve gotten there sooner.” Wendy said.

 

“It’s nobody’s fault, Wendy. You saved me.” Seulgi said, trying to cheer Wendy up.

 

“You need to be glad that you’re here now.” Joy said.

 

“Yes, and alive.” Yeri added.

 

Seulgi chuckled, she was aware that her friends were actually worried about her. Then, she remembered something.

 

“Is Irene…okay?” She asked Wendy.

 

Wendy nodded. “She was safely got into her tent.”

 

Seulgi just nodded.

 

“Awww!” Joy suddenly hollered. “So, you do care!”

 

It made the others laughed, and Seulgi was sure they’d keep teasing her.

 

“Shut up…!”

 

Seulgi reminded herself not to talk about Irene ever again. But, who was she kidding when her friends probably would never shut up about it.

---

 

“I know what I saw!”

 

Seulgi heard Irene said. Well, she actually used her wolf-ears to eavesdropping Irene and her clique.

 

“Irene, you were just shocked.” One of her friends said.

 

“I know this sounds crazy but I’m sure it was a werewolf last night! And she is one of us!”

 

“How do you know she is one of us?”

 

Irene sighed.

 

“I told you, it was obvious she was wearing our school’s shirt!”

 

“Seulgi.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

Seulgi saw Wendy was standing in front of her.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

Seulgi nodded and walked beside the vampire.

 

---