sixteen

Alive

It was not a regular night at Bexley’s Bank; not when the alarm went of signalling that there was a break in, a group of security that was working that night, surrounding the main entrance with their weapons ready on each of their hands. They were confident—could be seen on the look of their faces. Suddenly, their radio buzzed on, vividly revealing their captain’s voice; reporting that whoever was bragging inside the bank was seen in front of the vault through the security camera.

So, the said dream team rushed up to the vault, eagerly having the same thought inside their mind which was catching the culprit. As they were nowhere to be seen a woman; with a mask covering her eyes came down from the ceiling, a smug smile appeared on her face; she looked up, checking the captain of the security team who was having his whole body—and mouth—duck-taped against the beam. She chuckled.

 

“What a bunch of fools.” She said before nonchalantly walking out the town’s bank with two huge bags on each hands filled with treasures.

 

---

 

Seulgi jerked back off when a newspaper was slammed in front of her by none other than Jennie Kim.

 

“You guys are still reading newspaper these days?” Wendy teased while munching her fries. Jennie just threw a glare at her before pointing at the newspaper, showing the pack what was on it.

 

“She did it again.” She said.

 

“Wait, how do you know it’s a she?” Joy interrupted, eyes squinted while looking at the were-jaguar.

 

“Dude, wha- It’s on the newspaper!” Jennie said.

 

“Nineteen robbery in Bexley in a week. And now the bank. Looks like this small town will go bankrupt after all.” Yeri said.

 

“You know guys, I was thinking.” Jennie sat beside Jisoo. “We have this…this superpower, right?”

 

The other gave her a confused nod.

 

“How about we stop this,” Jennie’s hand motioned a circle on the newspaper. “Once and for all.”

 

Jisoo laughed, “so that what we are now? A bunch of superheroes?”

 

The other mimicked Jisoo’s laugh, driving Jennie into a helpless jaguar cub with a pout on her face. And Seulgi; being Seulgi, she just stared at her friends in amusement. Until, Jennie patted her back and pulled her close by her shoulder.

 

“How about we ask the alpha.”

 

Well, Seulgi always wanted to be a superhero, way back since she was a little girl. She was a huge comic fan and imagined herself as the main character of the comic, saving people. She wanted that. But, she knew that she lived in a real world; with superpower or not, she did not know what the infamous thief was capable of. And she had heard the news once when she was watching the television with her mother, this thief was very tricky—and not to mention she went away from the best force who were guarding the bank. But, then again, Seulgi wanted to protect people, fighting crime—also Jennie’s grip on her shoulder was very strong.

 

So, she said, “okay, let’s do it.”

 

“Yes!” Jennie yelled right next to Seulgi’s ear. She threw her hands in the air in excitement while the other were dropping their foreheads against the table.

 

Seulgi softly giggled and then she her eyes drifted to an empty space of the group of cheerleader; it was Irene’s space. The older girl was still shocked about the incident the other day and her mother said that she was sick, so she couldn’t attend the classes. She sighed, hoping that Irene would feel better soon.

 

---

 

“Joohyun?” Irene’s mother gave her daughter’s room a few little knocks. “Are you really alright, sweetheart?”

 

She had been concerned about her only daughter for the past few weeks, the girl had been acting really weird and a loud thud frequently heard from the room. She knew that her daughter did not feel well as she tended to discover that her daughter’s body temperature was going up and down very often. And today was one of those days, Irene had a fever.

A loud bang against the door shocked the middle-aged woman.

 

“I’m alright, mom!” Irene could be heard from the other side of the room. “Just…tidy-up my room…to bring down my temperature.”

 

The mother realised that Irene’s voice sounded really weird, but the mother brushed it off as it might be because Irene was sick anyway. She tried to open the door to give her daughter a little help. But, Irene quickly—abnormally quick—holding the door, revealing only her face. Irene gave her usual sweet smile to her mother, although it looked weak because she was feeling unwell.

 

“Mom,” she said. “It’s okay. I got it.”

 

As Irene’s mother, she knew that Irene was a pretty stubborn girl when she was sick, so there was no way to argue with the girl. So, she sighed.

 

“Okay, then.” The middle-aged woman smiled. “But, make sure you take a rest after this, okay?”

 

Irene nodded as her mother gave a gentle on her hair before she headed downstairs. Irene quickly closed the door and had her back slammed against the door, the smile on her face dropped; leaving a horror expression on it. Her body slowly fell down on the ground while her back was still glued against the door, her palm was covering as tears started rolling down her cheeks.

 

“What have I done?”

 

She said while staring at a mountain of dirty bags; stacking in the middle of her room. Each one of them filled with money and jewelleries. And there it was—the sword, lying next to the stolen treasure. But, it was different now.

 

Because, there was now blood stain on it.

 

---

 

a/n: hey there guys, well…decided to give the town a name to make my life easier. Tomorrow is my last day of exam………..so yes, I just want to drop this short update real quick…..please leave a comment below, I love hearing your thoughts! Thank you so much for reading this bit and even giving this story a bunch of upvotes though idk if I deserve it lmao….xoxo