twenty-eight

Alive

a/n: tbh I recommend y’all to read this chapter while listening to KINGDOM COMEsus by RED VELVETsus

 

---

 

 

Sooyoung was standing inside her room, looking at the beautiful scenery of her very peaceful kingdom; huge thanks to her father—the king—their kingdom was considered the most peaceful in the world. It was a small kingdom, but the people were respecting each other. But today, Joy felt different. Her fingers were fidgeting the whole time, she walked back and forth inside her room; once in a while she would blow out a huge sigh.

 

“Nervous?”

 

She gasped when she saw someone stood near the door. Sooyoung rolled her eyes and gave that person a quick smile.

 

“I wonder if you know how to knock. I guess not.” She nodded at the person—greeting her. “Wendy.”

 

The person—Wendy—bowed.

 

“Your Majesty.”

 

Sooyoung chuckled,

 

“I’m not a queen.”

 

“No, not yet.” Wendy walked closer to the taller girl. “You will be.

 

“Exactly in an hour from now! That’s why I’m here. Why aren’t you ready? It’s your coronation day!”

 

Sooyoung let herself fell onto her bed, she huffed—blowing a few strands of hair that fell onto her face.

 

“I just…” She sighed. “I don’t know, Wendy. I’m not ready.”

 

Wendy sat on the empty spot beside the princess.

 

“I know, but you have no choice, Sooyoung.” Wendy exhaled before she continued. “You father is gone, he died a hero to protect this kingdom. He was a great leader.”

 

Sooyoung sat up.
 

“Beside, I think you’re ready, alright? You are the strongest princess I’ve ever me in my entire life, and I’m one-hundred-and-seventeen years old!”

 

Sooyoung chuckled, she then gave the undead a tight hug.

 

“Thank you.” She mumbled.

 

“It was an honour to fight alongside your father.” Wendy said. “It’ll be an honour if I can convince his very beautiful daughter that she can lead this kingdom, and that we need her.”

 

Sooyoung mischievously smiled.

 

“You think I’m beautiful?”

 

Wendy face-palmed herself.

 

“I said a lot of things and that’s the only thing that went through your ears?”

 

---

 

“Queen Sooyoung of Yaxura!”

 

She was officially a queen of her people.

 

Sooyoung was surrounded by her people who gave her loud cheers, she could hear some were shouting her name and told her how beautiful she was. She turned her head and saw Wendy was standing on her side with her father as they wore the same armours. Sooyoung walked towards the girl; seeing that Wendy’s father bowed at her and excused himself—giving the girls a privacy.

 

“Nice crown.” Wendy said.

 

Sooyoung smiled, she then touched another royal treasure that was given to her o her coronation. An emblem; made of pure silver, wrapped around her neck. Every leaders of the kingdom got their very own emblem of an animal that the people thought resemble the character of the king or queen.

 

“A wolf. What does it mean?” Sooyoung asked.

 

Wendy smiled, “It means leadership, and protector.”

 

They both diverted their eyes to the people of the kingdom who had bright smile on each of their faces as they were dancing along with the music that was played by the royal orchestra.

 

“These people trust you, Sooyoung.” Wendy said. “You earned that emblem.”

 

Sooyoung sighed.

 

“Let’s hope so.”

 

Wendy gave the new queen a smile, she understood how nervous Sooyoung was. After all, she was still a teenager with a very huge responsibility.

 

---

 

“Elamasta. What does it mean?”

 

Wendy was hanging out with Sooyoung in her room as she started to read one of the books the queen owned; relieving themselves from a long day of training.

 

“That means For Life.” Sooyoung answered. “Like for example, my father’s elamasta was my mother. They can feel each other’s presents, feelings, pain. It said that no matter where, or when they go…they’ll always find each other. Eventually they’ll comeback to each others’ sides.”

 

“So, like a soul mate?” Wendy said.

 

“Yeah, soft of.” Sooyoung plopped herself beside Wendy. “Aren’t you craving for some deer’s blood?”

 

“No, why?” Wendy nonchalantly answered.

 

“Just asking because you ate half of my cookies.” Sooyoung playfully slapped Wendy’s hand that was reaching for another cookie from Sooyoung’s cookie jar.

 

“Woops.” Wendy giggled.

 

There was a silence. Not an awkward one, but the comfortable one. Just two best friends laying down while staring at the ceiling.

 

“Wendy,” Sooyoung broke the silence. “Is it weird if I say that my elamasta is you?”

 

Wendy did not answer immediately. She processed the young queen’s words with a smile that she was holding. And thus, she answered,

 

“No,” she said. “Not at all.”

 

Because she knew she felt the same.

 

---

 

Sooyoung was stumbling in the middle of the woods, she felt dizzy and she couldn’t remember anything even though she tried to. She was supporting her body in one of the trees before her back slid down the tree. The rain was washing the blood that was covering her body. She pulled her emblem off her neck as she felt it was starting to hurt her—like it was burning her skin—and threw it as far as she could. Her heart was beating rapidly. Sooyoung closed her eyes shut before it opened again.

 

Revealing a pair of yellow eyes that seemed to be glowing. And that was when she was born again; that was when the first howl of the beta could be heard that night.

 

---

 

“I don’t know where she was.” Wendy said to her father. They were leading a team to find their missing queen. Sooyoung had been gone since the sun went down. “W-We had a fight and she ran off to her room. I didn’t see her after.”

 

“You are destined to be her elamasta! How could you possibly have no idea where she’s at!?” Said one of the soldiers. He shut immediately when Wendy hissed at her with her blue eyes and fangs were displayed.

 

“Stop!” Wendy’s father ordered as he jumped of the horse. He picked something up from the ground and showed it to Wendy and the soldiers.

 

“Her emblem…” Wendy mumbled.

 

“Looks like it was forcefully torn.” Her father said with a worry across his face. He glanced at her daughter.

 

“Let’s move.”

 

---

 

The moon was touching the crown of Wendy’s head and it was very bright, and full. There were only her and her father; and they were covered in blood.

 

No, not theirs.

 

But, the soldiers’

 

Even for Wendy and her father—vampires—the incident caught them in horror. They were under attack by something that moved very fast, as if it was one with the darkness. Wendy did not know she could feel terrified when she got a glimpse of a pair of yellow eyes. She had never been like this; she was shaking and she knew that sooner or later her sword would slip off her hands.

 

Wendy and her father turned their body when they heard a vivid growl behind them. And there it was, something that she thought was just a myth. It was tall, huge—the vampire felt like either those claws or those fangs could rip her body into pieces.

 

“A werewolf…” She mumbled.

 

Nothing could make Wendy more terrified than those pair of glowing eyes.

 

“A beta.” Her father said. “Seems like the alpha are not in sight.”

 

Wendy wondered how her father managed to stay calm. She was terrified, and she was considered the most powerful vampire as both of her parents were vampires.

 

She couldn’t take her eyes of the creature when something inside her clicked. She was just staring, and mumbled.

 

“Sooyoung…?”

 

The werewolf replied with a roar, she was moving really fast towards Wendy. She lifted her claws but Wendy was also fast, as she avoided the attack.

 

Did she?
 

Or…

 

The werewolf was doing it on purpose.

 

Her eyes were back to normal, she was looking at both Wendy and her father; her eyes but not her appearance. Seemed like the beast inside her was still trying to take over as she suddenly lifted Wendy’s father and threw him against one of the trees. She was about to do the same to Wendy when suddenly, her other hand was pulling the others as it was trying to stop herself.

 

“Sooyoung…” Wendy walked slowly, closer to the poor wolf. “I know you’re in there.”

 

The werewolf whimpered in pain, then it growled. She did lift Wendy, but what she was doing to the vampire was more than just throwing her to the tree. The werewolf torn Wendy’s body in half. Her father was screaming in the background. The werewolf howled, the older vampire injured her legs by his sword, causing the beast fell on her knees. The vampire noticed that the werewolf was shifting back to its normal figure, and slowly, very slowly—he could see the queen’s face. Sooyoung’s first view when she turned back to human was Wendy’s upper body that was detached from the rest, she screamed in horror. She was bawling as she hugged the poor vampire. Wendy’s father was standing behind them; he was crushed as he was looking at the two girls he loved the most in this situation

 

“Sooyoung…”

 

Sooyoung lifted her head from Wendy’s crook of neck. She saw the vampire was smiling at her and then she the queen’s face.

 

“Shhh…” the vampire said. “It’s okay…you’re back.”

 

“You’re back…” She repeated while staring at the full moon, then she looked at Sooyoung’s injure legs that were starting to heal.

 

“Pain makes you human.” Wendy said. “Remember that, okay?”

 

Sooyoung nodded as she was crying again.

 

“I will wait through eternity…” Wendy said, she started to coughed out something that appeared to be a strange black blood.

 

“Come home to me…”

 

Sooyoung was screaming while hugging tight Wendy’s body before it turned into ashes. Sooyoung quickly protected the ashes as she didn’t want the wind to blow it away. She then felt a fabric was being dropped over her body.

 

“Hey, kid.” Wendy’s father said. He was trying so hard to smile but the sight of Sooyoung hugging her daughter’s ashes just broke him completely. “Let’s get you both home…”

 

Sooyoung shook her head and grabbed Wendy’s sword. She placed it over her neck.

 

“Sooyoung!” The vampire was surprised. He quickly snatched the sword from the queen’s grip.

 

“My father trusted you.” She said to Wendy’s father. “…And I do to.”

 

“What are you saying, kid?” The vampire said.

 

“I trust you…to end my life.”

 

The old vampire quickly refused, and Sooyoung expected that.

 

“I can’t have a monster leading the kingdom.” She said, “Please…!

 

“I’m not asking you! This is an order!”

 

The vampire looked at the queen with heavy heart.

 

“I can’t!” He said.

 

“Why?! I killed your daughter-“

 

“Because, I can’t lose both of my daughters in one night!” He snapped at the queen. He meant it, as every since the king’s death, he had take a good care of Sooyoung like his own daughter.

 

“I’m begging you, Eoghan.”

 

The name was said, and he knew that the queen was serious. She took the tip of the sword; it was hurting her skin since it was silver. And she placed it in front of her chest.

 

“Straight to the heart…” She said. “And no matter what…

 

“Don’t bring me back to life.”

 

Eoghan looked at Sooyoung in the eye as it was also her father request before he died in the war.

 

It happened so fast…

 

The silver blade was touching the heart of the young wolf.

 

---

 

Eoghan bought his daughter’s ashes back to his house; to the mother of the child. He was greeted by his crying wife and his mother. The eldest one stood up from her wooden chair and took the ashes.

 

“She will not remember any of the events that happened until the time.” The mother said.

 

They were gathered in circle. The fire from the candles they were placing in the middle was covering Wendy’s ashes. It didn’t take long until a figure appeared in front of them. The figure hissed, it was ready to attack. Eoghan pulled the figure and locked it with his arms as his wife and his mother delivered a jar full of fresh blood of an animal.

 

“Welcome back…” the mother said.

 

“Wendy…”

 

---

 

Wendy opened her eyes, she was greeted by her mother who was standing near the ear of the door.

 

“Honey?” The mother said. “Are you okay?”

 

Wendy’s eyes were wide open.

 

“I was gone…” She said. “Wasn’t I?”

 

By that, the older vampire knew.

 

that it was the time.

 

---

 

In the same time, Joy was sitting alone in the library. She was holding the same book for three hours and there was only one word that caught her attention the most.

 

“…Elamasta?”

 

---