twenty-one

Alive

“Tricking The Trickster”

---

 

“So, you’re saying…” Jisoo massaged her temple, “that Irene is an air bender?”

 

Seulgi and Soojung looked at each other.

 

“Well, that’s not what I said but…same thing, I guess.” Seulgi replied.

 

They were gathering around the lair; Seulgi and Soojung had told them everything that happened. They did notice the drastic change on Seulgi’s expression. Each one of them knew that Irene meant so much to Seulgi and this situation obviously made the alpha worried sick. No matter how hard she tried to hide it, they could hear her heart was beating so fast; proving that she felt uneasy.

 

“We need to know what her next move is, and we stop her once and for all.” Wendy said, “Krystal, what do you know about this fox spirit?”

 

Soojung leaned against the back rest of the couch, inhaling and exhaling as she began to speak.

 

“Obviously, Irene is a newborn kitsune, it’s very playful and feed on fear, it won’t stop until it feels satisfied enough. What I heard from Seulgi, she found a katana—I supposed it’s very ancient and was waiting for the moment to be set free and Irene definitely did the favour.”

 

Soojung scanned the others’ faces one by one.

 

“Okay,” Seulgi said.

 

“We better move fast.”

 

Jennie said, “fast; we can do. But how do we take her down?”

 

Joy chuckled, “I’m glad you asked.”

 

She pulled a hard-silver case from her pocket, and opened it; revealing a syringe filled with blue coloured liquid.

 

“So, this is an anaesthesia, has been modified of course by team scientist.”

 

“Team scientist? I thought you guys are team tech.” Jennie said.

 

“Well,” Joy chuckled. “You might as well call us team genius.”

 

“Alright, team genius. But, how do we get it in her?” Jisoo frowned.

 

“She is a trickster,” Lisa said.

 

The only way to beat tricksters is tricking them.”
 

 

---

 

Irene did not show up at school that day. Seulgi kind of expected it; she noticed a few teachers were asking Sehun where Irene was, and it appeared that he did not know—or care—how his girlfriend was doing either. Good. Seulgi thought. She did not want anyone beside her pack know what happened to Irene. Seulgi also noticed that Sehun went into Mr. Park’s office very often these days, but she shrugged it off because Sehun was pretty problematic, obviously the school would want him to have a lot of session with their new guidance counsellor.

At the end of the day, the pack went right away to the lair. They had decided each of their part; Lisa and Rosé would join team tech with Joy and Yeri since Joy discovered that Lisa was quite a hacker, their job would be monitoring every move of the pack and Irene as they gained access into the surveillance camera; and the rest would go down to the field. They’ve prepared by midnight. Jennie also introduced the pack to the rest of the berserkers—Chanyeol, Chen, and obviously Suho.

 

“Okay, I’ll go with the boys.” Jennie said, “Don’t get your kicked.” She told Seulgi.

 

Seulgi chuckled. Jisoo looked at Jennie before grabbing the girl’s wrist and said,

 

“Don’t die…please.”

 

Jennie was a bit taken aback by the action, but then she showed a tiny small to Jisoo.

 

“I won’t.”

 

Jennie’s team would head to the south part of the town; Seulgi and the others would go to the north as both would lead them to the centre of the town. Team tech also would keep in contact with them through the radio.

 

“What makes you think she’ll show up tonight?” Seulgi asked Soojung.

 

The taller shrugged, “my guts said so.”

 

“The banshee’s guts or Jung Soojung’s?” Seulgi chuckled.

 

Soojung laughed softly,

 

“Well…both.”

 

“Well, I trust both.” Seulgi said.

 

“Hey guys,” Wendy called. “Am I going insane or is that…a tornado heading towards us?”

 

“That’s her.” Jisoo said, then she contacted Jennie.

 

“Jennie, she’s heading towards us!”

 

The tornado was really close to them as it changed to a woman’s figure; Irene’s figure.

 

“You’re blocking my way to the mayor’s house.” Irene said with her signature smirk on her face.

 

“Yeah, nope. You’re not going there.” Said Jennie and the berserkers who appeared on the other side; they were blocking both Irene’s ways.

 

Irene scoffed, pulling the katana out from the case. Seulgi realised since the first time she got there, she did not take her eyes off Seulgi—hinting that she probably the main target.

 

“This will be such fun.” Irene sang.

 

Seulgi took a hit first, she ran towards Irene as fast as she could and hoping that her claws wouldn’t go through Irene’s figure like the other day; when she tried to attack the kitsune for the first time. Well, it didn’t go through anything this time because Irene easily blocked her attack by her sword. Seeing that, the others were starting to try to throw some punches or scratches on Irene but the kitsune dodged it like it was nothing. Soojung did try to attack her with the supersonic scream a couple times; it seemed to work at first but Irene ended up fighting back, seemed like the kitsune was a fast-learner. She crushed the berserkers like they were nothing, she shredded their armours like it was made of paper. Every attacks they threw, Irene just seemed to move with the wind; well, she was the wind. She looked very calm despite she was being attacked by werewolves, a vampire, and were-jaguar, and three berserkers. The pack was starting to wear off their energy; even the vampire—Wendy fell on her knee. Irene looked at them mockingly, she attached her sword to the ground and rest her chin on it.

 

“I told you, you can’t beat the air.” Irene spoke, “thousand of years ago, the ancient monks worshiped me; they saw me as…an inspiration. They took wind as their role model—me. They said I am the calmest among the other elements, and kitsunes. Move like the wind! They said. I was so innocent; I trusted those stupid humans and they trapped me in this…katana. Until…” She chuckled again, pointing at herself. “This beautiful lady freed me.”

 

Seulgi was trying to get up, but Irene just kicked her off the ground.

 

“Beautiful, full of curiosity…” Irene walked in circle around Seulgi. “But a fool.”

 

“She is not a fool!” Seulgi spat.

 

Irene heard a laugh coming from Jisoo.

 

“You must’ve done something very messed up, huh?”

 

Irene walked slowly towards Jisoo, lifting the girl’s chin up with the tip of her sword.

 

“That is none of your business.” Irene said.

 

Jisoo pulled the syringe from her pocket, but unfortunately, Irene saw that and grabbed Jisoo’s wrist; so tight that she crushed it, causing an audible scream from the werewolf.

 

“Jisoo, no!” Jennie screamed.

 

There was no more smirk on Irene’s face, she was furious. They could feel that. But, all of sudden, Irene laughed.

 

“You think you can beat me with this small needle!?”

 

“No…” Wendy said. “We knew that we can’t.”

 

“Then why did you waste your time to bring that to the battle, fools?” Irene replied, still laughing wholeheartedly.

 

“It was a distraction.” Seulgi said, “Yeri now!”

 

As Seulgi said that, and arrow landed through Irene’s shoulder. It wasn’t just a normal arrow; it has been filled with the same modified anaesthesia.

 

“How did you…” Irene got a glimpse of Yeri from one of the roofs of the building around them, the girl was holding a bow with a smirk on her face.

 

“You didn’t see that coming, did you?”

 

Irene turned around; limping, to be greeted by Jisoo’s fist on her face before she fell and saw nothing but black.

 

“Not as tricky as you thought, huh?” Jisoo chuckled.

 

Jennie looked at Jisoo’s hand.

 

“It’s healing.” She sighed in relief. “Thank the Lord.”

 

Jisoo smiled followed by everyone. They looked at Yeri who was still on the roof. Wendy waved at her.

 

“Get your down here!”

 

Everyone laughed. Then Seulgi stopped to stare at Irene's unconcious body. She promised herself to make Irene back to normal.

 

---

 

a/n: RED VELVET TEASER KASGDJGFKQWJHE,FHQWFV I WASN’T READY!!!! Alright, how do you like this chapter guys? I’m so happy that a lot of you like this story, even though this is hella messy TT. Leave the comment below, I really LOVE reading your thoughts. THANK YOU!