twenty

Alive

The next day, Soojung and Seulgi went to school together. Being the new kid, it was very obvious that Soojung got the spotlight, but it was not mainly because of that. It was because her beauty and also her cold aura that made all eyes dropped on her. Seulgi; with her werewolf hearing chuckled when she heard students were whispering about how pretty Soojung was.

 

“Looks like they like you already.” She said.

 

Soojung scoffed, it was always like that for her, people like her and then they would start to hate her because her cold aura. It was hard to make friends, until she met Seulgi—she used to give the latter a lot of death glare but the other girl kept giving her the brightest smile on the universe that she thought Seulgi was probably the baby sun from the kids’ show she used to watch. But, the moment she saw Seulgi the other day, the girl was different. She was not as bright as she used to. Soojung knew that Seulgi was burdened by the unfamiliar responsibility.

 

“So, what did you do when you were in the States?” Seulgi asked; turned out they would be in the same class as she was transferred from the states with amazing grade. Soojung sat comfortably beside Seulgi.

 

“Well…nothing much. I had to babysit a daughter of mom’s friend, she was a brat but aside from that everything was okay.”

 

Seulgi nodded, then her expression changed when someone entered the classroom.

 

“Seulgi?” Soojung called her, wondering what made the latter’s expression changed drastically.

 

“Hi…Soojung.”

 

“Please, call me Krystal. Hi, Irene.”

 

Soojung knew something was not right about Irene.

 

“Say, Irene…” Soojung started. “Have you experienced something extra ordinary lately?”

 

Irene’s expression changed, and she shook her head before immediately settled herself in her own seat.

Not so long after that, Jisoo and Wendy entered the class.

 

“Holy mother, is it just me or this class feels so tense?” Jisoo—being the oblivious human fluff that she was—asked. Wendy nudged her.

 

“Hey, Seul.” Wendy greeted Seulgi. “And- well, hello beautiful being.”

 

Seulgi face palmed herself.

 

“Wendy, Jisoo, this is Sooj- Krystal. Krystal, this is Wendy and Jisoo.”

 

“Oh! You guys must be part of Seulgi’s pac- oops! I meant her little groupies.”

Wendy and Jisoo were a bit take aback by Soojung’s unexpected knowledge. They were awkwardly chuckled and nodded.

 

“So, are you going to join us for lunch, Krystal?” Wendy asked.

 

“That would be cool.” Krystal said.

 

---

 

“Something is not right with Irene.” Soojung blurted out in the middle of their quite walk to the bus stop.

 

“Yeah, no kidding.” Seulgi said.

 

Soojung felt like Seulgi knew something, she stepped in front of her friend; blocking her way.

 

“What do you know?”

 

Seulgi avoided Soojung’s eyes, but she knew better; she could never stop Soojung to find out about it herself, she had experienced it when they were a kid, that one time they raised a hamster together and Seulgi accidentally lost the poor animal. So, she told her every detail about what she saw that day, and also the fact that Seulgi suspected Irene as the thief of Bexley.

Soojung explained that Irene was a newborn kitsune—the most playful one and had not gotten its tail yet. It was indeed possible that Irene was indeed the infamous thief of their small town. But, Soojung knew deep down Seulgi was still denying the fact that Irene was the person they were looking for, so she told the werewolf to keep it as secret between them and to not tell her pack just yet until they found out if Irene was really the thief and whatever she was capable of doing.

So, they made a plan, not a smart one but might work.

 

They were going to stalk Irene.

 

---

 

“This is stupid,” Seulgi spoke—whispered as they were tailing behind Irene who looked like she was just walking around the town at night.

 

“Whose idea is this?” Soojung rolled her eyes.

 

Seulgi sighed, she turned her head to continue whatever she was doing. But, something unexpected happened.

 

“Wh- Where did she go?” Soojung asked.

 

They heard a dark chuckle behind them.

 

“Joohyun?”

 

Seulgi’s mouth said the name but she knew it wasn’t her. She looked…different. Her smile looked like it contained a lot of evil within and her eyes—those were not Irene’s. And from the look on Soojung’s face, she already knew. Seulgi did not want to shift in front of Irene, but this time she had to.

 

“Oh, Seulgi.” Irene said, “you’re still a beta?”

 

Seulgi gasped when she heard what Irene just said, driving her to throw her claws on the girl. But, she missed. It just went through Irene.

 

“Baby, you can’t attack wind.” Irene said before she threw a few punch on Seulgi, making the werewolf hit the ground, hard.

 

“Careful, Seul. She’s a wind kitsune.” Soojung warned.

 

“Yeah, no kidding!” Seulgi coughed.

 

“A banshee?” Irene laughed. “What? You’re going to predict your own death?”

 

“You have no idea what I’m capable of,” Soojung said before launching an ultrasonic scream; throwing Irene far back.

 

“Wow.”

 

Soojung turned her head as Seulgi spoke.

 

“Didn’t know you can do that.”

 

Soojung chuckled, she reached her hand out to help Seulgi.

 

“Where did she go?” Seulgi asked.

 

“I don’t know,” Soojung replied as they both were just staring into darkness.

 

“She just…vanished.”

 

---