thirteen

Alive

Joy peeked inside the medical room in Boa’s house through the gap and closed the door gently so she wouldn’t disturb the two werewolves. She walked to the living room, meeting everyone.

 

“Is Seulgi coming?” She asked the others.

 

“Yeah, she’ll be here in anytime now.” Wendy said, looking at her phone.

 

Everyone looked at the door, revealing Seulgi who entered the house with uneasy expression, the three werewolves looked down as they felt guilty for what happened not a long time ago. Seulgi diverted her attention to someone familiar, Jennie. She stormed her way to the werejaguar and grabbed her collar.

 

“Why are you here?!”

 

Wendy tried to get Seulgi’s grip off Jennie’s collar.

 

“Seulgi, stop it! She was with me. We were sharing a meal together in the woo-“

 

“You were together with her?!” Seulgi yelled, surprisingly at the same time with Jisoo.

 

Everyone was looking at Jisoo.

 

“Um…Jisoo?” Joy signalled Jisoo to sit down as the girl did.

 

Seulgi let her hands off Jennie as Wendy convinced her that she meant nor harm and that the nagual was on their side. They explained their encounter with them; their name were Lisa and Rosé, and they were chased by a group of hunters. Lisa attacked Jennie because she thought that the vampire and the werejaguar were one of those hunters who were after them. Lisa also said that the hunters killed their whole pack and shot Rosé with a bullet filled with wolfs-bane.

 

“And there is one more thing,” Wendy said.

 

“They want to see the alpha,” Jennie walked toward Seulgi, their face were inches away. “Kang Seulgi, they said.”

 

“They said their deceased alpha had a vision, of you, being an alpha.” Wendy added.

 

Seulgi looked at her friends, they were all looking at her before she looked at Jennie and pushed her away.

 

“I’m not an alpha.” Seulgi said, she shifted her eyes as it changed into the bright yellow colour. “See this?”

 

Seulgi was about to walk away, she wanted to leave the house when Yeri said,

 

“Seulgi, have you ever heard about pure-alpha?”

 

Seulgi looked at the younger through her shoulder. Yeri walked to her and touched her shoulder.

 

“As what happened earlier, and this…we think that…you might be a pure-alpha,” Yeri explained. “It’s very rare. A pure alpha is a canine were-creature who rises to alpha rank solely on the strength of their character, their virtue and sheer willpower. In other words, you have pure heart and you don’t need to stain your claws with anyone’s blood.”

 

“And I believe you’re the first in centuries, Seulgi.” Wendy said.

 

Seulgi nibbled on her lower lip, “but I’m not ready.”

 

“I think the universe thinks the otherwise,” Jennie said. “Go on, Seulgi. They need you,

 

We need you.”

 

---

 

Seulgi slowly walked inside the medical room, she recalled what Jennie said in front of the door.

 

You might wanna see their eyes.”

 

She approached Lisa who was sitting on the couch, her hands glued together and she still looked terrified, she didn’t say anything, she just kept staring at the ground. Seulgi could sense fear around her, and that she was shaking. She crouched down once she was in front of Lisa.

 

“Show me your eyes.”

 

Lisa’s breath hitched when Seulgi’s voice hit her ears.

 

“I-I never said that I’m innoc-“

 

“Show me!” Seulgi growled.

 

Lisa gulped as she looked at Seulgi with her bright blue eyes instead of they yellow ones like the other betas would have. And Seulgi knew what that meant.

 

“They killed my family,” was the last thing Lisa said before Seulgi walked away, sadness could be seen on her face as she exited the room.

 

They killed those hunters.

 

All of them.

 

---

 

“If Seulgi is an alpha, why does she still have yellow eyes?” Jennie threw a question as she was sitting on the kitchen counter, watching Jisoo who was making hot drinks for them. She wanted to help but the werewolf refused and saying that she didn’t have to because she was a guest.

 

“She needs to earn it,” Jisoo answered.

 

“How? By helping an old woman crossing the street?” Jennie said jokingly, she jumped off the counter.

 

“Funny,” Jisoo scoffed. “I guess we will find out soon.”

 

Jisoo got surprised by how close her distance with Jennie at the moment, it was like their noses almost touched. Suddenly, Jennie’s eyes turned green and the werejaguar backed away.

 

“Sorry,” she said. “I’m also new with…all these.” She gestured her whole body.

 

“I get it,” Jisoo smiled nervously as she rushed out the kitchen, leaving Jennie alone with a smile plastered on her face.

 

“Well…that was cute.” She mumbled.

 

---

 

It was Saturday and Irene was bored. She usually went out with her boyfriend but it seemed like Sehun loved his friends more that he loved Irene. And her parents were away, Irene thought that letting her parents go on honeymoon wouldn’t hurt but, she didn’t expect that it’d be boring. So, she decided to go and clean the basement. She knew that her father stored his stuffs in the basement and Irene wanted to clean it before her father arrived.

She grabbed the broom and everything and rushed to the basement. At least she could do what she liked; cleaning.

Irene was swiping the floor when she found a weird scratch mark on the floor just near the old couch her father usually sat on, it appeared as if someone moved the couch back and forth. The detective instinct inside Irene told her to move the couch and see what was underneath it. But she stopped.

 

What if it’s like some creepy secret door to a room that the previous owner used to do some witchcraft?

 

She thought.

 

She really wanted to see what was underneath it, so that was why she was calling Seulgi.

 

Hello?”

 

She held her giggle when she heard Seulgi’s morning voice by the fact that it wasn’t even morning anymore.

 

“You up?” Irene asked.

 

“I am now,”

 

“Good. Meet me in my basement. Let’s see something cool!”

 

She hung up before Seulgi could answer back.

She was excited to see whatever she was going to see, but she was more excited by the fact Seulgi and her were going to do a little adventure just like they used to. She remembered when Seulgi used to hold the hem of her shirt when they were kids because she was scared of everything. Now that they had grown up, Irene felt like the table had turned because she had to admit that she got easily scared, like for example when Seulgi suddenly appeared by her basement door and she screamed so loud, making Seulgi ran to her and made sure she was okay. They moved the couch and Irene was right. There it was, a tiny door that could lead the to anything.

 

“Open it,” Irene ordered Seulgi.

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes and pulled up the door. Revealing—not a secret room owned by creepy witch—but a black box. Irene lifted the box up and she was amazed by what was inside it. It was a katana; a very beautiful katana in her opinion. She had seen katana before but for some reasons this one lured Irene’s attention. So, she reached her hand to touched it.

 

And the last thing she remembered was a loud thud and Seulgi, shouting her name.

 

---