twenty-six

Alive

Irene sighed when her father dropped her in front of the school gate. She did not feel like attending school at all since she did not get any sleep—not even a blink last night because she kept throwing up. The inside of her stomach was churning as she ran to the bathroom and threw up.

 

“Good morning, sunshine.”

 

Great.

 

Irene silently growled, she turned her body and saw Soojung and Yeri leaning against the restroom wall with a smirk on their faces.

 

“We won’t tell Seulgi if you tell us what’s going on.” Yeri said.

 

“I’m just sick.” Irene said.

 

“Uh-uh,” said Soojung, while they were following Irene outside of the restroom. “You probably should’ve wiped that black stuff from your lips before you lied to us.

 

“You’re not a very smart trickster, are you?”

 

Irene knew she got caught big time. Now, three of Seulgi’s friends had seen what happened to her; and she had no choice but explaining what was going on.

 

“Fine.” Irene huffed, she sat on the bench nearby; followed by both Soojung and Yeri.

 

“That night when you came to save me, I don’t think we actually killed the nogitsune.” Irene started to explain.

 

“Why so?” Soojung asked.

 

Irene glanced at Yeri then Soojung, and she looked at the ground—fingers were fidgeting.

 

Because I still can feel her inside me.”

 

“Are you sure she’s alive?” Yeri asked.

 

“We don’t know that for sure.” Soojung said. “But, you should’ve came to me sooner.” Soojung touched Irene’s shoulder. “We’ll get it out.”

 

---

 

After they reached out to Joy, four of them ended up in Yeri’s unexpected huge bedroom.

 

“My parents are away; they’ll be back tomorrow in the morning.” The youngest explained.

 

“I didn’t know you’re this loaded.” Joy commented, placing her backpack on the corner of Yeri’s room. She opened her bag and took a very familiar thing for all of them including Irene.

 

“Our favourite rope!” Joy exclaimed. She seemed to really enjoy the idea of tying Irene against a chair. And Irene knew so well, that the tall girl did not like her at all.

 

“Sorry, Irene.” Soojung said. “Just in case.”

 

“It’s okay.” Irene smiled, offering her hands to Soojung so she could tie it. After making sure it was tight enough, Soojung said,

 

“See you on the other side?”

 

“See you on the other side.” Irene replied.

 

---

 

Irene opened her eyes, she looked at her surroundings and was greeted by the familiar peaceful environment, just like the way she left it; but why did she feel…empty?

 

“Hey,”

 

She looked up and found Soojung was offering her a hand. She took it as she got up from the ground.

 

“Nothing feels strange here.” Soojung said. “Not yet, at least.”

 

Irene chuckled.

 

“Say, Rene,” the younger girl continued, “did you lose your power?”

 

Irene knew that Soojung knew; but she had no idea why she couldn’t just tell her. It was hard for her, she woke up one day with an extra ordinary power and then lost it in a blink of an eye. Just like Seulgi, Irene always wanted to be extraordinary. That was why she tried to be one of the popular kids—that was why she decided to hang out with Sehun and his clique. Losing her power definitely was bad, admitting it was worse. But, the again, Soojung knew.

 

“Yes.”

 

Soojung sighed, “If it’s as bad as I thought…Well, let’s just keep walking first.”

 

I knew you’ll comeback sooner or later.”

 

Soojung looked around as she heard the voice was surrounding her, it came from literally everywhere; and it sounded like multiple people were talking. She then looked at Irene who froze in horror before her eyes changed into a pair of emptiness, completely black.

 

“Irene?” Soojung walked backward.

 

Irene walked fast towards her as she was saying,

 

“You might defeat me once,” She moved as Soojung did. “But I’m nine thousand years old, you can’t kill me!” She exclaimed her words and attacked Soojung with her wind. Thus, it caused a few wounds on Soojung’s skin.

 

---

 

Joy gave Yeri a nudge when she looked at Soojung.

 

“Look at her nose.” Joy said, “she’s bleeding!”

 

Yeri wiped Soojung’s nose, but the blood kept on coming.

 

“What do we do now?” asked Yeri.

 

Joy seemed so troubled. She shook Soojung by her shoulder a few times, but it didn’t work. She started to call her by her name—by Krystal—but it didn’t work either.

 

“Wait,” Yeri said. “Seulgi calls her something else.”

 

Yeri was flicking her fingers continuously as she was trying to remember what the alpha usually called the taller girl.

 

“Jung Soojung! Soojung! Try Soojung!” Yeri yelled.

 

Joy held both Soojung’s shoulder and she yelled out—almost a growl—in front of Soojung’s face.

 

“Jung Soojung!”

 

---

 

Jung Soojung!”

 

Soojung gasped; she found the nogitsune was using Irene’s body to give her another attack, but it was different this time. Soojung dodged and avoided every single attack and finally stood right in front of the nogitsune.

 

“You said to move like the wind.” She held Irene’s shoulder. “I just did.” And by that she screamed.

 

The black matter—the nogitsune—was thrown out of Irene’s body. She looked more damaged than the first time they left her.

 

“Are you okay?” Soojung asked Irene. The shorter girl nodded.

 

The banshee attacked the nogitsune with another scream, she kept doing that because it seemed like the nogitsune had became very weak since that day when they took her down. She inhaled as deep as she could and stormed the evil one with one last scream as it vanished into the thin air.

 

---

 

Irene’s eyes jolted open. She held as she felt like she was going to throw up again.

 

“Grab a trash can!” Soojung said to the two youngest who seemed to be stunned by what happened. “Now!”

 

Joy ran to the other side of Yeri’s room and grabbed the trash can. She placed it in front of Irene. The poor girl puked out the familiar black liquid she had been throwing from inside of her body lately; but there was now seemed to be a bunch of metal spikes. The banshee and the two werewolves were terrified. None of them were brave enough to come near Irene, until she finally stopped.

 

“Is it over?” Yeri—half whimpered—asked.

 

Irene looked at her with a weak smile.

 

“It’s over.”

 

“How do we know you’re not…her?” Joy said.

 

“No,” Soojung said. “I can feel it. She’s Irene. Our Irene.” She looked at the girl who was still holding the trash can. “And your power?”

 

Irene opened her palm, and a tiny tornado appeared on top of it. Just spinning slowly with no meaning to harm.

 

Yeri and Joy finally released their breath—they had been holding it since they saw Soojung had the nosebleed.

 

“Gosh! That’s gross!” Joy was pointing at the stuff that filled the trash can. “Throw it! Burn it! And don’t let it comeback!”

 

Soojung chuckled. She approached Irene, patting her back.

 

“You good?”

 

Irene nodded.

 

Better than ever.

 

---

 

a/n: IF YOU GUYS WANT TO SEE WHAT NOGITSUNE IRENE LOOKS LIKE, OPEN THE FOREWORD PART OF THE STORY HEHEHE.

 

Keep in contact here: @baecteria (twt)