twenty-five

Alive

Irene was throwing up in the lady’s room. She did not understand why, but ever since she was free from the nogitsune, she felt sick. She lost count how many times she had threw up that day at school. She quietly got out of the cubicle and washed her face. She gasped when someone was standing behind her.

 

“Joy?”

 

That someone—Joy—walked closer to her, her eyes did not leave Irene, not even a second. It made Irene felt more intimidated by the fact that Joy was way taller than her. She opened to say something. But, Joy cut her.

 

“First of all, I don’t like you.” The younger said. “Second of all, what is wrong with you? I won’t pretend as if I don’t notice that you’ve ran back and forth to the bathroom just to throw up.”

 

Irene avoided Joy’s glare.

 

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking ab-“

 

Irene was not able to finish her sentences because she had to run back to one of the cubicle and threw up. She coughed the rest of it, and her body was lying on the floor, completely losing her energy. But, Joy saw it all. She saw the stuff that came out from Irene’s mouth. Black, mixed with blood. And Joy knew that was unusual.

 

“What happened to you actually?” Joy asked.

 

Irene looked at the taller girl.

 

I wish I knew.”

 

---

 

Joy walked to the bus stop as usual, her mind was occupied on what happened to Irene earlier; and how the girl begged her not to tell anyone especially Seulgi. She sighed. She did not like keeping secret from her pack, especially Seulgi—who was the alpha now. She hitched when she felt something was hitting her head; there was another secret that she had not tell her pack. Joy was starting to have these…dreams. But lately, something about it felt real, and Joy did not know how to tell the differences between reality and dream. She reached the bus stop and sat down immediately. Her head was leaning on the glass that was surrounding the bus stop. It was not weird at first, Joy did not even think about it. But, it felt like a massive déjà vu. Like some memories. And Joy thought it was weird enough…

 

…until she saw Wendy in it.

 

---

 

“How was school?”

 

Seulgi stopped poking her food with her fork when she heard her mother question.

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Her mother frowned. Werewolf or not, Seulgi was always excited about school. She knew that her daughter loved to learn. So, she changed her question.

 

How’s Irene?”

 

Seulgi stiffened, she put down her utensils.

 

“I’m not hungry.” She got up her chair, bringing the dirty dishes to the kitchen.

 

The older Kang went after her daughter to the kitchen, and she saw Seulgi, backfacing her. She reached out to Seulgi’s shoulder. Seulgi turned around and as a mother, she knew that her daughter was hurt, so she did not say anything and just let her daughter cried in her embrace that night.

 

---

 

Irene did not how she got onto the rooftop of Bexley’s city hall. It was almost midnight. She could see everything from up there—every lights, every lives. She closed her eyes to feel the wind; she could not. As if it was taken from her—as if something was blocking her. She turned around and found a garbage bin to puke off the stuff she had been throwing from inside of her body.

 

What is wrong with me?”

 

She felt her phone was buzzing inside her pocket, she reached for it just to find Sehun’s name on it. She sighed and put her phone back her phone into her pocket. Irene did not remember much what happened when her body was taken over by the nogitsune. But, she clearly remembered that she ended thing with Sehun by walking out of his car that day. She knew that Seulgi did not like whatever was going on right now but she just couldn’t explain it to Seulgi, and she did not know why.

She liked Seulgi, but why she couldn’t explain what actually happened? Irene had never been this dumb in her entire life. She knew that Seulgi lost control at school that day, she wanted to help—but, Jennie gave her a look that was enough to tell her that she had to stay away from Seulgi; before she could even reach for Seulgi’s arm.

 

---

 

Yeri was spending time with Lisa and Rosé a lot lately. She taught both girl how to use weapons.

 

“You have claws and fangs but you chose to use a bow and arrow.” Lisa commented, she was twirling one of Yeri’s arrow. “Fascinating.”

 

“But, why?” Rosé asked.

 

The youngest chuckled.

 

“I don’t want to get my hands dirty I guess.”

 

Lisa and Rosé were staring at the youngest who was testing her newly-made arrows, they noticed something. They noticed that Yeri was a bit distance from the rest of the pack.

 

“I know what you guys are thinking.” Yeri said. “Why am I being distance from the rest of the pack.”

 

Lisa and Rosé chuckled.

 

“Jennie asked the same question.” Yeri continued.

 

“You see, my parents are very strict. I was a very fragile kid since I was a kid, I had a lot of damage inside my body. I was also very small and weak as a baby, my mother said I almost died at birth. Since I was very little, they are guarding be as if I was going to break any time soon.” She said. “Until I was bitten.

 

“I felt more powerful than ever. My parents noticed the changed of my condition.”

 

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Rosé asked.

 

Yeri smiled, bitterly.

 

“I thought so too. But, instead, they increased their protection on me. They thought if they don’t…I’ll be back to that fragile, helpless girl. I lost control once, it was full moon. I hurt a pedestrian. I was so scared and I came home. My parents saw my bloody self. And they locked me inside my room for days, chained to my bed. I could break it, but at the same time, I was also crying for days.”

 

“That’s why you chose to attack from afar? With weapons?” Lisa said.

 

Yeri smiled.

 

“Speaking of…I should go home now. I have to sneak in through the window.”

 

Yeri walked out from Boa’s house after waving them goodbye.

 

---

 

 

“Scared?” Wendy asked.

 

They were walking together in the wood, just the two of them. Joy looked at the vampire’s face under the moon light. It was full moon, and from up the hill she could see it clearly. She scoffed at Wendy’s question.

 

“Are you?” Joy asked back.

 

“Not as long as I’m with you.” Wendy leaned on Joy’s shoulder.

 

Joy rolled her eyes.

 

“Ugh, can you not?” She said, making the vampire chuckled.

 

---

 

Wendy opened her eyes. As a vampire, it was common knowledge that they did not need sleep. But, something strange had happened to Wendy lately. She was starting to have these dreams—visions—of her and Joy. The setting seemed to be placed years ago before the time she lived in.

 

But why Joy?

 

It was the only question that had been bothering her for the past few days.

 

---

 

a/n: oh look, a filler chapter.